Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

The only reason Parra is getting an upgrade is because it is in use all year round whereas all the other suburban grounds are only used for half the year. Being in Sydney's second city/CBD helps too.

Make no mistake, if the Eels weren't tenants at Parra along with WSW, it would not be upgraded.

Agree. Hence my point regarding these morons having a whinge about not getting funds to upgrade League specific grounds.

But they're not league specific grounds. We played a pre-season match at Leichhardt, Sydney Olympic play out of Belmore, Sydney FC women played regularly at Kogarah oval a season or two ago as well as the odd community round for the Sydney fc men's team.

All you have to do is change the posts and a few lines on the pitch and its a football ground. Why wouldn't you want them upgraded?

Baird's announcement at ANZ today.  Parramatta first - $300m.  ANZ rectangularised to 70k ish starting in 2019 - $700m ish.  Allianz to get was is left over to be refurbished the best they can.  Responsibility transferred from Ayres to Infrastructure NSW.

4 wins. :)

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anz-stadium-to-be-turned-into-a-permanent-rectangle-mike-baird-announces-20160414-go65fu.html

The only reason Parra is getting an upgrade is because it is in use all year round whereas all the other suburban grounds are only used for half the year. Being in Sydney's second city/CBD helps too.

Make no mistake, if the Eels weren't tenants at Parra along with WSW, it would not be upgraded.

Agree. Hence my point regarding these morons having a whinge about not getting funds to upgrade League specific grounds.

But they're not league specific grounds. We played a pre-season match at Leichhardt, Sydney Olympic play out of Belmore, Sydney FC women played regularly at Kogarah oval a season or two ago as well as the odd community round for the Sydney fc men's team.

All you have to do is change the posts and a few lines on the pitch and its a football ground. Why wouldn't you want them upgraded

Pre-season and community rounds are one off games - don't count. I believe the bulldogs have been the only real beneficiaries of government funds provided to build their state of the art training facilities at the ground, and if I'm not mistaken, Olympic are still looking to get plans approved to build the center of excellence in Tempe. were is the equality. make no mistake, football will always get shunted in favour of the egg ball codes. A such, I stand by my position on the allocation of funds.

Long time reader first time poster. 

Finally the right decision is made! The only thing that would make it better is more money for Parramatta but that was never going to happen!

A lot of people calling for the money to be spent on schools and hospitals. The idea has really come to the fore recently because Luke Foley (opposition leader) suggested we save money on refurbishing stadiums and build a hospital instead (http://www.lukefoley.com.au/mike_baird_must_sack_sports_minister_ayres). 

So I had a quick look at the state budget. For 2015/16 spending is as follows:

19 billion for health
12 billion for education

So assuming the 1.6 billion will be spent over 5 years (3 years for parramatta, 2 years for refurbishments at anz and allianz) that would mean 320 million per year.

Slightly over 1% of the total budget. Ridiculous that people are calling for it to be spent on schools/hospitals as if it's an insane amount of money to be spent on stadiums...

This is what really Erks me too. Why hasn't the FFA lobbied for more funds to develop similar centers of excellence that could benefit football clubs at all levels within NSW. Disgrace.

"Mr Greenberg said the deal would also deliver $40 million for new centres of excellence for NRL clubs in NSW. The funds will be distributed on a "dollar for dollar" basis to clubs wanting to build Centres of Excellence."

Awesome - lets hope that's what it ends up looking like and that they leave enough funds to hire decent grounds keepers with the increased traffic that pitch will get now.

This is what really Erks me too. Why hasn't the FFA lobbied for more funds to develop similar centers of excellence that could benefit football clubs at all levels within NSW. Disgrace.

"Mr Greenberg said the deal would also deliver $40 million for new centres of excellence for NRL clubs in NSW. The funds will be distributed on a "dollar for dollar" basis to clubs wanting to build Centres of Excellence."

To be honest, we just don't have the pull that rugby league has in this city. Don't get me wrong, we do have a certain amount of clout in making things happen, but the NRL has far more. The advantage we have had is that we are able to play on the rectangular venues that have been built across the city for all the codes. Imagine the other states having to put up with ovals. We also have people in the FFA who have good contacts with the NSW government.

I don't think we have it too bad compared to the rest of Australia.

To be honest, we just don't have the pull that rugby league has in this city. Don't get me wrong, we do have a certain amount of clout in making things happen, but the NRL has far more. The advantage we have had is that we are able to play on the rectangular venues that have been built across the city for all the codes. Imagine the other states having to put up with ovals. We also have people in the FFA who have good contacts with the NSW government.

As it happens Simon Hill has his say in his latest article.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/simon-hill-why-is-the-debate-ove-sydneys-stadium-strategy-being-dominated-by-one-code/news-story/869cbd937a035f3799145a11c10a6212?nk=fa91c846dbcff648aaedfe587d5e2da5-1460613866

Long time reader first time poster.

Finally the right decision is made! The only thing that would make it better is more money for Parramatta but that was never going to happen!

A lot of people calling for the money to be spent on schools and hospitals. The idea has really come to the fore recently because Luke Foley (opposition leader) suggested we save money on refurbishing stadiums and build a hospital instead (http://www.lukefoley.com.au/mike_baird_must_sack_sports_minister_ayres).

So I had a quick look at the state budget. For 2015/16 spending is as follows:

19 billion for health

12 billion for education

So assuming the 1.6 billion will be spent over 5 years (3 years for parramatta, 2 years for refurbishments at anz and allianz) that would mean 320 million per year.

Slightly over 1% of the total budget. Ridiculous that people are calling for it to be spent on schools/hospitals as if it's an insane amount of money to be spent on stadiums...

Welcome to the forum dude, nice first :good:

Baird's announcement at ANZ today. Parramatta first - $300m. ANZ rectangularised to 70k ish starting in 2019 - $700m ish. Allianz to get was is left over to be refurbished the best they can. Responsibility transferred from Ayres to Infrastructure NSW.

4 wins. :)

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/anz-stadium-to-be-turned-into-a-permanent-rectangle-mike-baird-announces-20160414-go65fu.html

Suck on that SCG Trust :rofl:

:woah::topshelf::xbop::good::xnod::woah::golecapproves::xbop:

Yer i understand we don't have it as bad as what the Vics do. But that's no excuse for the blatant disregard for the hundreds of thousands of football participants (which i might add eclipses that of the other codes in the state) and the poor standard of infrastructure they have to work with. Don't forget we are talking about funds for centers of excellence here, not stadiums which football will benefit from to a greater degree.

The reality is that the money given to NRL clubs (even if it is on a dollar for dollar basis)for these centre will only benefit the them in the long run. Yes, they might make those facilitates available for summer football comps during the NRL off season or as a temporary training facility for other clubs. But who do you think will reap the benefits from the fees charged for using those facilities??? Football sure won't.

It just seems to me that the FFA haven't done enough in this space to try and better our game and more specifically grass roots football.

Yer i understand we don't have it as bad as what the Vics do. But that's no excuse for the blatant disregard for the hundreds of thousands of football participants (which i might add eclipses that of the other codes in the state) and the poor standard of infrastructure they have to work with. Don't forget we are talking about funds for centers of excellence here, not stadiums which football will benefit from to a greater degree.

The reality is that the money given to NRL clubs (even if it is on a dollar for dollar basis)for these centre will only benefit the them in the long run. Yes, they might make those facilitates available for summer football comps during the NRL off season or as a temporary training facility for other clubs. But who do you think will reap the benefits from the fees charged for using those facilities??? Football sure won't.

It just seems to me that the FFA haven't done enough in this space to try and better our game and more specifically grass roots football.

We already have a decent and modern/upgraded NSW Football facility in Parklea. Then there is the academy that Central coast has built, and the one that Wanderers will build. there are also all sorts of private academies that exist across Sydney. Then there is the federal government money that got Wanderers started in the A-league. This new stadium will be specifically built for us and the Eels. You drive across Sydney and you see grounds everywhere (including artificial turf). I don't want to sound like a whinger, because I think we have it ok.

I'm also skeptical about these 'centres of excellence' that different sports claim. It is usually just a big load of wank. I am not worried about what Greenberg said. He is just talking up his own sport as a CEO.

All you have to do is change the posts and a few lines on the pitch and its a football ground. Why wouldn't you want them upgraded

Pre-season and community rounds are one off games - don't count. I believe the bulldogs have been the only real beneficiaries of government funds provided to build their state of the art training facilities at the ground, and if I'm not mistaken, Olympic are still looking to get plans approved to build the center of excellence in Tempe. were is the equality. make no mistake, football will always get shunted in favour of the egg ball codes. A such, I stand by my position on the allocation of funds.

Mate you're full of ****. You say "league specific" i give examples of how many aren't "league specific" and they don't count? **** off. These suburban grounds should all be renovated regardless of what ******* code plays there. Most facilities at these suburban grounds are poor, and the paying public deserve better, regardless of what code they're watching. 

Fact is, there are more non-football professional clubs in the state than there are football - and they get more people through the gates and make a shitload more revenue than football. It's pretty fair to say they deserve a decent slice of the pie.

So your "but they treat football blah blah blah" whinging really doesn't promote discussion, provide solutions or even alternatives that aren't anything but shyte and spite.

It's a stadium plan, not a football plan. Other codes exist too, get the **** over it.

Dmixtaaa is that you?

Awesome - lets hope that's what it ends up looking like and that they leave enough funds to hire decent grounds keepers with the increased traffic that pitch will get now.

Do you think a retractable or replaceable pitch setup could be incorporated into the design of the ANZ stadium rebuild?

Edited by FCWanderers

I'm not interested in code wars bullshit but I had a good chuckle at this.

Driving home tonight I was listening to sports today on 2UE and they were discussing all of this. A Union fan living in the CBD called in most upset about ANZ winning the bulk of the funding. He claimed that having to travel to Homebush was that bad that it nullified anything that happened during the game and completely ruined his match day. He then claimed that a roof on a new Allianz would be the best thing to happen to Australia and concluded by saying that the CBD is "where most people live anyway" and implied that only plebs watch sport outside of Moore Park. It was hilarious how upset he was, you could feel him trembling with rage in his RM Williams boots.

OMG RBT :rofl:

Absolutely hilarious whinging by one of Australia's finest journalists :lol:

No conflict of interest when saying that we are all doomed by upgrading ANZ over Allianz :rofl:

Oh came here to post the same type of comment but not pasting the link.

So so so so much salt.

:arniesalt:

Common sense prevails indeed!

Ayres had no clue and he was teling those eastern suburbs clubs nothing but lies.

The ANZ redevelopment looks great! Shame the capacity has to reduce but its understandable, 75k is a great capacity.

Some of the comments on the SMH article. fmd.   We shouldn't be spending a dollar on stadiums, they are OK as they are etc, etc

Some people want nothing but awesome hospitals. It's always the same argument, why give money to aid overseas, why spend on stadiums, why spend on the arts, we could put this money into hospitals.  Sure we can, let's spend every dollar on hospitals & schools and have nothing else in the city. Aren't you supposed to have a balance in life?

What I have come to learn about SMH readers is that the majority of them are uni students who currently live in Newtown who spend their time complainig about everything.

Straight out of the watermelon club.