Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

There's a number of differing posts / article attachments about the funds for Pirtek - $300m & $350m. Can anyone confirm which it is Pirtek will be allocated? Sure hope it's $350m so we can get a 35k capacity stadium, not 30k.

As far as the Pool goes, surely between Parramatta Council & NSW Government they can work out a compensation amount that would assist them to rebuild the pool elsewhere. I'd back it be placed at the top (western end) of the old Parramatta Golf Course. Played there myself a few times.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-praises-baird-government-for-nsw-stadia-strategy-outcome/w5v23ch0ob7g1jcwi1uh78fp7

FFA reaction to the stadium announcement with statement by David Gallop.

The SCG Trust, which runs Allianz Stadium, reacted to the news by saying they would do everything in their power to assist with the implementation of the state government’s plans.

“NSW needs world class sporting facilities and the Trust will continue to work with Government to ensure that the people of NSW have access to the best venues and the biggest events,†SCG Trust Chairman Tony Shepherd said.

“The primary role of the Trust is to do what is best for sport in NSW. It is a role we have performed assiduously for more than 100 years and we will continue to do so.

“The Trust has strong obligations to its 19,000 members from all over Sydney and regional NSW. Their ongoing and loyal support is the basis of our success.

“We will use all resources available to us to provide the best service we can to our members and the broader sporting public of NSW.

“Allianz Stadium and the SCG are part of the community of Moore Park, where we have been located for more than 160 years.

“Moore Park is, always has been, and always will be our home – as well as a place of pilgrimage for sports fans from all over NSW, Australia and the world.

“We will continue to work closely with our vibrant local community and our neighbours Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust, EQ and Fox Studios.â€

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/anz-stadium-nsw-government-to-fund-major-rebuild-of-anz-stadium/news-story/e1ad3a42f1f2e23f4e60c76c212e4a49

SCG trust statement to the stadium announcements. Why do I get the feeling that stadium debate is not completely settled. Hope the signed agreements are watertight.

Edited by FCWanderers

HOW WILL ANZ STADIUM BE TRANSFORMED?

The $800 million renovation will see the entire seating bowl replaced, with the pitch to be dropped three metres while the furthest seat moves in 48 metres. Work will begin on the eastern grandstand in 2019, with ANZ Stadium likely to stagger construction over four years to ensure its busiest schedule is during the summer months. While capacity will be reduced, it won't have fewer than 45,000 seats at a match. The NRL is unlikely to play Origin and grand finals at the venue during construction, with Brisbane firming to host the first grand final away from Sydney in the history of the sport. Capacity at ANZ Stadium will be reduced from 83,000 to 75,000.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/how-the-nrl-and-stuart-ayres-stadium-plan-at-moore-park-unravelled-20160414-go6ohk.html

Looks like the construction work will be done in stages starting with the Eastern grandstand, with at least 45000 seats remaining during the construction period.

So, I'm guessing the timeline of everything will be:

• Pirtek Stadium rebuilt 2016 - 2019
  • ANZ Stadium major renovation 2019 - 2022
  • Allianz refurbishment 2022-2024

They wouldn't be able to start on ANZ until Pirtek is ready - which is a bonus for us as it would mean that there is less chance of a delay once construction starts. We'll find a few NRL clubs may head to Pirtek during that time, but we'll just have to deal with that (no major for me, apart from the pitch). Also, the NRL needs to find a new temporary home for the Origin and Grand Finals. Personally, Origin should go back to Allianz but the GF should go to Brisbane.

Work will begin by 2019, subject to the government buying out leaseholder ­Stadium Australia, which is ­expected to cost $135m.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/red-faces-over-new-sydney-anz-stadium/news-story/edb5dd263f8a0208c810cccda4909fde

Work on the ANZ stadium redesign is contingent on a lease buyout agreement which they are still negotiating.

There's a number of differing posts / article attachments about the funds for Pirtek - $300m & $350m. Can anyone confirm which it is Pirtek will be allocated? Sure hope it's $350m so we can get a 35k capacity stadium, not 30k.

As far as the Pool goes, surely between Parramatta Council & NSW Government they can work out a compensation amount that would assist them to rebuild the pool elsewhere. I'd back it be placed at the top (western end) of the old Parramatta Golf Course. Played there myself a few times.

The Premier's media release does not give any figures for individual projects.

And the winner is: Mike Baird.

He let Ayers and the trust pick fights with NRL and the various clubs based in the East, ridicule themselves and each other in public, and then made the sensible decision.

In the process the WSW will get two new homes. The WSW will be a monster of a club in five years time.

They were saying on NRL360 last night that even during the renos ANZ would still be 50k capacity - and they're starting it ASAP.

I hope it doesn't impede Parra getting done ASAP.

Not sure how that would work? They may be doing everything in stages, but can't see how they'd keep cap. at 50k? Still, not enough for major events.

According to ANZStadium website

The stadium will have 3 match day modes

Intimate mode - 20k capacity

Big-game mode - 35k

Major event mode - 75k

Not sure how this would work

From the renders it looks like a screening or cover for the other tiers.

Similar to BC Place in Canada:

bcplace1.jpg

See Andrew Webster from the Herald is also on the 'but what about the Eastern suburbs'bandwagon and sees the lack of SFS rebuild as a mistake. Geez mate, perhaps if the inner city set actually turned up to games you might have a point but generally they don't. We might not be at Melbourne levels but I'd reckon westies do actually go to support their teams and travel to away games much more than the eastern areas do.

See Andrew Webster from the Herald is also on the 'but what about the Eastern suburbs'bandwagon and sees the lack of SFS rebuild as a mistake. Geez mate, perhaps if the inner city set actually turned up to games you might have a point but generally they don't. We might not be at Melbourne levels but I'd reckon westies do actually go to support their teams and travel to away games much more than the eastern areas do.

Allianz handles 10/20k traffic an hour... ANZ 60k... not a hard decision based on that. But, hey maybe they'd like people to pissed off every time they leave the eastern suburbs?

I remember reading in one of his articles, that he was part of the group that went to the Super Bowl at Levi stadium this year. Maybe he's disappointed a similar stadium won't be built over Kippax lake.

Edited by FCWanderers

I remember reading in one of his articles, that he was part of the group that went to the Super Bowl at Levi stadium this year. Maybe he's disappointed a similar stadium won't be built over Kippax lake.

More like, he won't get a trip to another big event at another stadium as part of the design process.

More like, he won't get a trip to another big event at another stadium as part of the design process.

We'll send him to Turkey instead :D

He's in love with Levi Stadium - which has massive issues for normal games and regular support - just because he went to the Superbowl. That'd be like watching the Uruguay game and saying ANZ is good!

In a similar vein, Geoof Toovey (former player and coach of Manly) couldn't understand why they were building a new Parra stadium when they were also going to renovate ANZ "which is just 10 minutes down Victoria Road". He thought that other suburban grounds should get the cash. I felt like jumping through the tv screen and shouting "because there are two tenants at Parra you twit, it's not all about NRL!!"

Anyway, they can all go jump - we're getting a standing area!!

He's in love with Levi Stadium - which has massive issues for normal games and regular support - just because he went to the Superbowl. That'd be like watching the Uruguay game and saying ANZ is good!

In a similar vein, Geoof Toovey (former player and coach of Manly) couldn't understand why they were building a new Parra stadium when they were also going to renovate ANZ "which is just 10 minutes down Victoria Road". He thought that other suburban grounds should get the cash. I felt like jumping through the tv screen and shouting "because there are two tenants at Parra you twit, it's not all about NRL!!"

Anyway, they can all go jump - we're getting a standing area!!

Yeah, so many complaints about Levi's:

• Too hot in direct sunlight because of no roof 
  • Traffic problems in and out
  • Poor surface

According to ANZStadium website

The stadium will have 3 match day modes

Intimate mode - 20k capacity

Big-game mode - 35k

Major event mode - 75k

Not sure how this would work

NEW design features in the upcoming ANZ Stadium redevelopment will allow Sydney’s Olympic stadium to present in “Intimate Mode†– a unique London Olympics-style LED solution that screens out the top-tier seating (Level 6) on both sides of the arena.                       
Edited by Flytox

This line irks me for a couple of reasons:

The existing one-tone blue seats at the Stadium will also be replaced, with a seating profile similar to that used at the Gabba being introduced, so that any empty seats are less obvious.

1. I hate that style of seats. A pattern is fine, but when it's random colours it looks horrendous.
  2. It's The 'Gabba... argh!

The retractable seating is cool, I must admit. If the stadium ends up like that though we can say goodbye to playing a derby anywhere else ever again though...

If we are getting 50-60k to a derby, and that stadium is bleeding red and black colours into the sky, and we are tearing the roof off at a proper rectangular ground, are you going to care if the derby is not played at Parramatta?

I ask because there are obviously a few issues with playing at ANZ. At the moment the atmosphere is horrible. But then there is home ground advantage, which may end up being minimised. But it's not like we have used it that well in the past couple of years anyway! 

HOW WILL ANZ STADIUM BE TRANSFORMED?

The $800 million renovation will see the entire seating bowl replaced, with the pitch to be dropped three metres while the furthest seat moves in 48 metres. 

The fact that you can move a seat 48 metres closer to the action should be more than enough to convince anyone that ANZ needed this upgrade.

The retractable seating is cool, I must admit. If the stadium ends up like that though we can say goodbye to playing a derby anywhere else ever again though...

If we are getting 50-60k to a derby, and that stadium is bleeding red and black colours into the sky, and we are tearing the roof off at a proper rectangular ground, are you going to care if the derby is not played at Parramatta?

I ask because there are obviously a few issues with playing at ANZ. At the moment the atmosphere is horrible. But then there is home ground advantage, which may end up being minimised. But it's not like we have used it that well in the past couple of years anyway!

Once the stadium is built the Derby should alternate between the 3 stadiums. Anz, Allianz, and Pirtek.

This line irks me for a couple of reasons:

The existing one-tone blue seats at the Stadium will also be replaced, with a seating profile similar to that used at the Gabba being introduced, so that any empty seats are less obvious.

• I hate that style of seats. A pattern is fine, but when it's random colours it looks horrendous.
  • It's The 'Gabba... argh!

Hopefully more like those turkish ones gazmon!

Another great piece by Simon Hill on the stadium debate...

"When you pay good money to use a public utility, you don’t expect to find the last persons skid marks all over it. "

​Me thinks Simon has been reading all about Waffle stomping here...   :ninja: 

For the whole article...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/simon-hill-why-is-the-debate-ove-sydneys-stadium-strategy-being-dominated-by-one-code/news-story/869cbd937a035f3799145a11c10a6212

The home and away aspect is the major component of a derby. ANZ is neither.

For as long as we play 3 a season, if they want to play the third one at ANZ then ok but it's still a slippery slope. One derby at ANZ will blow everyone's minds and the pressure will be on for all of them to be there.