Australian National & Youth Teams Discussion V2

Hate to say it - Tomi cost us. Not the first chance, but the one Risdon put across the 6 yard box. We already had a guy on the back post and Tomi should have held his run. He got excited and charged in to a spot where the ball couldn’t go because the keeper was in the way, meaning the ball went behind both of our players.

Still, unless their coach has some wiley tricks up his sleeve with tactics, we should be pretty comfortable. They are pretty ****. Syria were better, as are most of the other teams we played in Asia that we dominated at home. CONCACAF is pish.

Problem is if we don’t finish the chances then one lucky goal for them could cost us.

On 11/11/2017 at 11:06 AM, Davo said:

If we play the same on Wednesday we win.

If we play the same it'll be 0-0 after 90 mins again.

I'm pretty nervous. We should smash them, but when was the last time we won convincingly? We just don't have the finishing quality. And the other concern is that as **** as they were...and they were woeful...they still had 2 or 3 really good chances just by punting the ball up the field. I'm sure Bailey Wright being on the pitch had nothing to do with that. 

I think it's gonna be another unbearably tense night. Fun! 

And how the **** has Brad Smith being getting picked ahead of Behich all these months???

I find it interesting how the capacity has been reduced to 76k.

The capacity was 76k at the Asian Cup, but that was mainly due to more media space being created on level 3 on the western side. 

In an article by News Corp today, they state that it's because of the benches and behind the goals (?) that FIFA have ruled inappropriate to sell tickets there. 

Anyway, hopefully it will be close to a sell out and a good game. 

10 minutes ago, danielcarr said:

I find it interesting how the capacity has been reduced to 76k.

The capacity was 76k at the Asian Cup, but that was mainly due to more media space being created on level 3 on the western side. 

In an article by News Corp today, they state that it's because of the benches and behind the goals (?) that FIFA have ruled inappropriate to sell tickets there. 

Anyway, hopefully it will be close to a sell out and a good game. 

That's interesting.

When I bought tickets the other day, I initially tried to purchase in the Socceroos Active section.

The tickets coming up were noted as being restricted view -  in row three, so almost on the fence behind the goals. I bought tickets elsewhere.

So they are clearly selling tickets to the worst seats behind the goals so that can't be true.

Also, a claimed 76000 capacity is 7500 below true capacity. There is no chance the media area would reduce the capacity by that amount, so I wonder where all the other missing seats are?

5 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Banned from training because of the shirts? Who’s watching their training that this matters?

Yeh. Indeed.

FFS,  whatever the rules are, the people in charge don't need to be such douche bags. If they are so adamant about it, maybe they should just give all the Honduran players plain white training shirts and then it wouldn't be an issue, but geez....!

27 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Banned from training because of the shirts? Who’s watching their training that this matters?

Photographers, whose images will then be shared on the web. And the AFC/FIFA sponsors will be upset that a rival (or unapproved) brand is getting coverage. Politics and bureaucracy with AFC and FIFA. Whodathunkit?

I imagine this is due to them being concerned we're trying to steal their tactics.

Their coach was quoted as saying someone inside the Honduran camp was leaking info to Australian staff.

However, Pinto believes someone in his camp - staff or even the press - has been passing on information to Ange Postecoglou and Co.

Pinto told Televicentro on Monday: "[Australia] knew everything we were doing."

The Honduran media took it as a claim that someone close to the national team had passed off vital information to the Australians.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/honduras-coach-someone-is-giving-info-to-australia-477507

13 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

I'm going to the game on Wednesday so I figured I'd get some supporter wear

what the hell is this

socceroos-201617-kids-home-football-jers

it looks like someone's ran the jersey through those old-time clothes washboards or a cheese slicer

I regret not getting the 2015 jersey while that was available

I don't know what your problem is.  It's a nice jersey. In case you haven't noticed the Socceroos and Matildas have been wearing it gor a while now.

24 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I don't know what your problem is.  It's a nice jersey. In case you haven't noticed the Socceroos and Matildas have been wearing it gor a while now.

Sorry Edinburgh, just not a fan of the scratch marks or washboard motif going on

39 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

it looks like someone's ran the jersey through those old-time clothes washboards or a cheese slicer

I regret not getting the 2015 jersey while that was available

I too am disappointed that I didn't get the 1974 throwback jersey.

I was equally disappointed that they'd sold out of this retro masterpiece when I was at the Syria game. Hoping to pick one up on Wednesday night.

16FFA007M-Spew-Jersey__1544601729.jpg

That looks like 2010 to me...

Anyway, watched Switzerland v N.I. this morning, and it only made me more nervous. Switzerland completely smashed them for the first half, but were inept in front of goal. Then in the second half they got nervous and N.I. had a bunch of chances despite being a seriously limited team. And this was after the Swiss went into the game in a better position than us. 

Once you get past the big teams, the common thread among the rest is poor finishing. That's why I have no confidence that we'll win convincingly, so it's gonna be a close affair with plenty of heart attack moments.