mack

General W-League Discussion 2015/16

Interesting match tonight, the Matildas are playing the Newcastle Jets U15 boys side.

At half-time it's 3-0.

To the Jets.

Da fuq :shok:

It's not the first time they played boys youth teams. The Matildas played an U15 state rep side several years ago and got beaten by 5 goals. 3 days later they played the U14's and beat them by 1.

wow i thought the Matilda's were meant to be decent

What's happening? I seem to have missed something lol

Check out Kate Cohen's Twitter account to explain the loss. Results from these matches mean nothing anyway, it's all about preparing for the Olympics (just check out Ange's results pre Asian Cup).

Take on board what your saying Layles & I've read Kate's comments, but if WSW AL squad ever got beaten by such a margin in a trial / practice match, there would be riots in the streets of Rooty Hill. 

Well, we did lose to a semi-pro team in the ffa cup a couple of years ago (Adelaide City).

Sure it's not the same thing but it was a game we really shouldn't have lost.

"For me the most phenomenal part was Ellie Carpenter who’s a 16 year old girl and played in midfield in the second half against boys her own age, 16 year old boys who are at the peak of their game playing for the Jets and she could compete which was phenomenal.

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/article/2016/05/26/exclusive-alen-stajcic-hits-back-critics-matildas-loss-boys?utm_content=buffer87299&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Something positive to come out of the practice match for the Matildas yesterday. Ellie Carpenter moving into the midfield and holding her own, maybe a move into Wanderers women's midfield at a future date.

Well, we did lose to a semi-pro team in the ffa cup a couple of years ago (Adelaide City).

We didn't lose by 7 goals, and we didn't lose to their youth system players.

and we didn't ask their youth team to play in a particular unrealistic way to practise trying to play thru a compact oppositions midfield which seems to be the case here

I don't get the comparison between the matildas and an a-league team playing against the same opponent

Honestly I don't get why this is an issue at all. Mildly interesting maybe.

scratch match??

And this was a training match which you probably couldn't even class as a friendly, so who cares?

And this was a training match which you probably couldn't even class as a friendly, so who cares?

Someone obviously forgot to tell the Jets youff, that they were meant to be witches hats. 

Anyway, we finally know why there isn't a scoreboard at Valentine Park

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/article/2016/05/26/exclusive-alen-stajcic-hits-back-critics-matildas-loss-boys

"four of the seven goals scored last night were scored off of crosses. If someone is half a foot or a foot taller than you, that’s an anatomical and a biomechanical thing and you can’t do anything about that.

"I go away from the game not worrying about that aspect. As long as the positioning was good. If the positioning was poor, that’s something you can control but being out jumped by someone who’s one foot taller than you and more powerful, that’s not really going to happen in a women’s game."

Aside from testing out structures and getting visibility of players in a competitive environment, Stajcic was clear about the way they wanted the game to be played and liaised with the opposition coaches beforehand.

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/zela/article/2016/05/26/exclusive-alen-stajcic-hits-back-critics-matildas-loss-boys

"four of the seven goals scored last night were scored off of crosses. If someone is half a foot or a foot taller than you, that’s an anatomical and a biomechanical thing and you can’t do anything about that.

"I go away from the game not worrying about that aspect. As long as the positioning was good. If the positioning was poor, that’s something you can control but being out jumped by someone who’s one foot taller than you and more powerful, that’s not really going to happen in a women’s game."

Aside from testing out structures and getting visibility of players in a competitive environment, Stajcic was clear about the way they wanted the game to be played and liaised with the opposition coaches beforehand.

So he asked for crosses?

Wow at some of the comments in this thread  :nono: 

Reading this excerpt above took me back to when I was playing basketball about 6-8 years ago. I played in a team that was very talented and that bossed the division one comp we were playing in. We had several girls that played reps and I'm 6ft tall and was a pretty handy centre/power forward, if I do say so myself :P 

We trained at the same time as a few of the younger guy teams and one night the coaches agreed to have a "friendly" game. It wasn't really that friendly though because both teams went hard out. We got absolutely slammed. I was playing against a centre who was about 6'5" and dominated me all game. I couldn't even get near a rebound or put up a shot under the hoop without being blocked. Our smaller guards were also being seriously out-muscled and just couldn't get in a rhythm. 

The thing is, our team were technically excellent and far superior when playing against opponents who were physically similar. However, when we came up against players who were far bigger and stronger than we had ever played before, it made us look like we were U12's.  

Did this game mean we were generally crap? No it didn't. Did this game mean I was a terrible centre? No it didn't. All it did was show how much of an advantage half a foot in height is over an opponent in basketball. Our team still went out and kicked butt in our normal comp the next weekend.

Let's not forget, this isn't just a U16's park football team the Matilda's were up against. This is was a development team who I assume are at the top of their age group in terms of skills and ability. And remember there's a quite a few girls in the team who aren't much older than these guys too.

Look, it's not the best result but at the same time I don't think we should be up in arms and throwing in the towel. Just stow the pitchforks for the moment.  

Wow at some of the comments in this thread  :nono:

Reading this excerpt above took me back to when I was playing basketball about 6-8 years ago. I played in a team that was very talented and that bossed the division one comp we were playing in. We had several girls that played reps and I'm 6ft tall and was a pretty handy centre/power forward, if I do say so myself :P 

We trained at the same time as a few of the younger guy teams and one night the coaches agreed to have a "friendly" game. It wasn't really that friendly though because both teams went hard out. We got absolutely slammed. I was playing against a centre who was about 6'5" and dominated me all game. I couldn't even get near a rebound or put up a shot under the hoop without being blocked. Our smaller guards were also being seriously out-muscled and just couldn't get in a rhythm. 

The thing is, our team were technically excellent and far superior when playing against opponents who were physically similar. However, when we came up against players who were far bigger and stronger than we had ever played before, it made us look like we were U12's.  

Did this game mean we were generally crap? No it didn't. Did this game mean I was a terrible centre? No it didn't. All it did was show how much of an advantage half a foot in height is over an opponent in basketball. Our team still went out and kicked butt in our normal comp the next weekend.

Let's not forget, this isn't just a U16's park football team the Matilda's were up against. This is was a development team who I assume are at the top of their age group in terms of skills and ability. And remember there's a quite a few girls in the team who aren't much older than these guys too.

Look, it's not the best result but at the same time I don't think we should be up in arms and throwing in the towel. Just stow the pitchforks for the moment.  

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif

Basketball is a very good example of this. If you watch womens basketball a fair few players are really ****en short. The Canberra Capitals have a player who IIRC is only about 5 foot 6 and just as Jess said this in no way means they are not a technically gifted player. However if you come up against a team which is physically taller and heavier you're going to have a really bad time, especially in basketball. 

Look at the Matildas squad, all of them are also quite short and fairly young too. Lisa Devanna is the forward and she is just under 5 foot 1, and a quick google shows that most of the players are in the mid 5 foot range. No ******* wonder most of the goals were scored from crosses;  our own WSW defender Carpenter is only 16 (and congrats to her for making the team).

On a more positive note: The Matildas will be playing the NZ team this Saturday at 3pm. Should be a good game  :clapping:

6ft? More like 5'11". :)

Are you disputing my height? :P

I didn't see you get out the tape measure in Adelaide...

Last time I measured, I was like half an inch off being 6ft. Close enough is good enough cause there's no way I'm going round telling people I'm five foot, eleven and a half inches. Rounding FTW :D

Are you disputing my height? :P

I didn't see you get out the tape measure in Adelaide...

Last time I measured, I was like half an inch off being 6ft. Close enough is good enough cause there's no way I'm going round telling people I'm five foot, eleven and a half inches. Rounding FTW :D

It was confiscated at the airport, so I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt :)

I agree, rounding is awesome.

BTW I'm 10ft tall (10m in metric).

Matildas v New Zealand is live on fox sports 502 right now i just found out

also live on ABC

Got back home late from my game so only tuned in just before the halftime whistle. Looks like the girls are dominating in terms of possession, shots on target and balls in the box. Great goal as well by Ford from Perth Glory.

and another great goal by Ford. Good back heel from Heyman to Ford who was able to beat the defender and get it past the keeper  :clapping:

Matildas won 2-0

next game is on tuesday in melbourne at 5pm live on ABC and fox sports