Coach and Staff Thread

I think I have worked out what Popa has been writing in the little black book he has with him all these years

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

Lord knows it's all he f*cking knows

C0lObNvVEAEGiZ_.jpgAnd for all his vaunted "training regimen" which consists of flogging the players week in week out in training it's having the opposite effect than is intended. I am now 90% on the Popa Out bus, the tipping point seems a case of when not if

Edited by jdrudd91

I think I have worked out what Popa has been writing in the little black book he has with him all these years

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

You do realise that formation is one very small part of an overall gameplan, right?

Press higher, sit deeper, exploit space behind their crap left back, create overloads on their weak right side, play out from the back, hit wingers at the halfway flag - all of these things, even the mutually exclusive options, can be done from within the structure of 4-2-3-1.

But you're right, let's get rid of the most successful manager in the modern era of Aus club football, who has been evolving the playing style of the group since day 1, because our formation is consistent.

I'd love if on any form of social media(including this website), whenever somebody says 'Popa Out', they would be forced to name a replacement.

Name someone who knows this club better, is available, and has a better resume than Popa over the last 5 years.

Whenever Popa does leave, it's going to be the people that are saying 'Popa Out' now that will never be satisfied with our new coach, and reminisce about the glory days.

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

You do realise that formation is one very small part of an overall gameplan, right?

Press higher, sit deeper, exploit space behind their crap left back, create overloads on their weak right side, play out from the back, hit wingers at the halfway flag - all of these things, even the mutually exclusive options, can be done from within the structure of 4-2-3-1.

But you're right, let's get rid of the most successful manager in the modern era of Aus club football, who has been evolving the playing style of the group since day 1, because our formation is consistent.

Are you seeing us do any of these things this season with constant effect? That's like saying a fat guy is healthy cause he might do some jumping jacks one day.

We are the single most predictable team when it comes to tactics in the league, never stray, never change. We make the same like for like subs each and every week, our recruitment has been stuffed up majorly this year and yet we continue to flog out the same NPL level workhorses who may train the house down but haven't the first clue when it comes to creating an attacking opportunity. Any manager can scout us from a mile off and can counter us with ease, look at our two games against the Vuck, we did the same things we did in Melbourne and got the same result.

You are really loving the sexy football Sotirio & Baccus deliver each week? That's on Popa

Love that we are relying on a 34 year old with failing knees to be a 90 minute week in week out goal scorer? That's Popa again

Or when we go a goal or two behind that we wouldn't dare put two up front to chase the game? Yep him again.

Or maybe our record against our two biggest rivals for the last three years?

Won 1

Drawn 4

Lost 13

Goals for 16

Goals against 41

Points 7/54

He is consistently out thought when it matters most and for a developing manager it baffles me that he refuses to try something different.

As for this "Who has the resume that Popa has" argument, Look at what Jose has done at Man Utd, not exactly the powerhouse his record would suggest there be. You want to look at options outside of Popa well there are options, Gombau? Rudan? Even Trent Crittenden, look at his record at producing players and championship teams at NPL level in recent years and tell me he doesn't deserve a shot at the big time.

Would it mean instant success if we made a change in manager? Maybe? Maybe it would have the Moyes effect? But becoming stagnant is what kills you, look at Arsenal.

What Popa has achieved at this club does earn him the grace to turn things around and usually he does, but he really needs things to go his way in the January transfer window or we'll miss the 6 and go out in the groups of the ACL. But hey let's go the full Arsenal and have Popa as manager Emeritus cause of our blind devotion to our foundation manager.

And if you actually took note of what I was saying you would have noticed I said I'm not at the full PopaOut stage yet but It's getting there. He deserves the chance to turn it around and he is a club legend, but if we want to be a big club then we need to remember football is a results driven business and everyone is accountable.

Even Tony Popovic.

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

You're kidding, the most successful coach of modern era?

He's won the ACL and the only difference there between him and Vidmar was the ref in the final 2nd leg.

Ange Postecoglu has 1 premiership and 2 championship with a win rate of 48% in the A League.

Kevin Muscat has already more titles picking up the league, Grand Final and FFA Cup. 50% win rate.

Even Mike Mulvey has 2 dometic titles with the Roar and 50% win rate. They moved him on at the right time.

Graham Arnold has premiership and championship and will no doubt add to that this year. Win rate 48%.

Popa with 2 titles has a win rate of 42%. The worst of this group and in head to head matches against these coaches how many has Popa won?

You can call Popa a good coach, really stretching it calling him a super coach, but to call him the most successful coach of the modern era, please, this is just dilusional.

He can keep his evolution of no longer winning anything, further down the ladder, Mariners defence and actually take it with him to his new challenge. Best thing for this club is to move on and be Western Sydney's Wanderers, not Tony's.

We've had to see star after star leave our club, who cares if Popa is just added to that list. Thanks for the memories! Next.

i know salary capped league but surely we can do better than Baccus and Sotirio? the problem is when we are down he makes subs like Santa off for Sotirio or Baccus and Santa might be tired but how is that change going to get us goals? at least Kwabs had speed, we can get better than those 2 in the NPL

Edited by GoatyMcGoatFace

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

4-2-3-1

You're kidding, the most successful coach of modern era?

He's won the ACL and the only difference there between him and Vidmar was the ref in the final 2nd leg.

Ange Postecoglu has 1 premiership and 2 championship with a win rate of 48% in the A League.

Kevin Muscat has already more titles picking up the league, Grand Final and FFA Cup. 50% win rate.

Even Mike Mulvey has 2 dometic titles with the Roar and 50% win rate. They moved him on at the right time.

Graham Arnold has premiership and championship and will no doubt add to that this year. Win rate 48%.

Popa with 2 titles has a win rate of 42%. The worst of this group and in head to head matches against these coaches how many has Popa won?

You can call Popa a good coach, really stretching it calling him a super coach, but to call him the most successful coach of the modern era, please, this is just dilusional.

He can keep his evolution of no longer winning anything, further down the ladder, Mariners defence and actually take it with him to his new challenge. Best thing for this club is to move on and be Western Sydney's Wanderers, not Tony's.

We've had to see star after star leave our club, who cares if Popa is just added to that list. Thanks for the memories! Next.

I'll give you Ange (I actually thought about him when I wrote it), but even he did nothing on the continental stage. The others can't claim the same level of success:

- 1st in season one with a team of rejects, playing with minimal possession

- 2nd in season two, massively criticised for "rotation policy", starting to let players go à la salary capped league

- Nowhere season three, but ACL win (admittedly, the worst refereeing performance I've ever witnessed), increased focus on maintaining possession and playing out from back

- 2nd season four, didn't pass group stage in ACL (obvious group of death, short of qualification by 1 point), committed to (and heavily criticised for) playing patient, possession-based football waiting for clear goalscoring opportunities

None of the others can claim that level of consistency and I also find your maths flawed because counting a Premiership and Championship as two titles is rubbish. Yes, we want to win every trophy available, and the fact that fecking toilet seat has eluded us thrice now at the final hurdle suggests that 270 minutes of football is the difference between you calling Popa more or less successful than others on the list. Really?

Head-to-head is a non-argument as well, because apart from our single dismal a-league season (which even Riva would have to admit had genuine excuses and Sir Alex still wouldn't have done any better) none of the usual candidates (Arnie, Muscie, et. al.) have finished higher on the table than our boss.

For those who were at the fan forums at the establishment of our club, tell me if you recall the following answers form our fans to questions about style-of-play:

"Sit back and win at all costs"

"Play like Chelsea in the Mourinho era"

No? That's because the answers were more along the lines of, "play attacking, fearless football" and "of course results matter, but we are football-educated fans and we want to see football that will make us proud".

If you compare S1 Wanderers and S5 Wanderers, the evolution is based on what the fans wanted at our club's establishment. It's no accident and the fact that we've realised the level of success that we have is a testament to the boss' football acumen.

OF COURSE we want to win, OF COURSE we are spoiled rotten with success we've had so far, but this was a deliberate, calculated plan that's been bloody well executed given the known challenges associated with Aussie club football.

I'll give you the toilet seat being counted as separate as that is a very valid point.

But the win rates?

The other coaches finished up when they did all they could do. If Popa drags out, he won't be remembered for the forum talk of playing great football to watch. How many games have we played in that has been just frustrating to watch? How many matches where you can hear the crowd annoyed with no shoot farkin. How many more poor crowd turn outs do we want before we all realise wow, this evolution of football is sending us backwards.

The evolution has gone full circle and is regressive now.

I wonder how many people at the forums thought that we'd be the brothel of player retention and still not be concerned?

1. No results

2. Beautiful football that gets you hammered isn't so beautiful anymore

3. Treating players, staff and other staff the way we do makes this club souless and well and truely just a franchise. Everyone has come and gone. Players and staff have chosen to leave because it is all about one man at the club. Nobody is bigger than the club and on this alone Popa should be gone, let alone everything else above.

It isn't his record that is being questioned as such. He has the runs on the board and the star on the jersey. It is his ability to take the club forward from where it is now that is the issue.

Exactly, yet this is conveniently overlooked each time this argument is brought up..

I am not giving Popa a free pass because he won the ACL a few years ago, Living in the past ensures future failure. We mock the smurfs for this all the time yet we're willing to overlook how we have clearly gone backwards cause Popa won the Champions League?

Great achievement? Of course, Club legend? yes, Running out of time? Absolutely.

Needs a big January or he's got to be moved on. Transfer and results wise. Another shellacking by the smurfs and that will be curtains

It isn't his record that is being questioned as such. He has the runs on the board and the star on the jersey. It is his ability to take the club forward from where it is now that is the issue.

Wanderers fans, we're never happy when we're happy.

We will not have a coach more successful than Popa in the next 20 years. I guarantee it.

The issue is whether he can take us forward? The problem is that there is nobody else with Popa's ability, record or pedigree to take us forward.

When you have options like:

- Okon: Young manager given a chance & look what happened

- Moss: Failed with the Mariners & then has the tenacity to pick coaches apart on TV

- Merrick: Good record in the past but with a good players than he had in the past struggled this season

- Mulvey: Fractured dressing room plus losing the faith of players/board at the end of his tenure and after the roar nobody has touched him

- Rudan: What happens if he doesn't get success after a year, are we all going to call for his head or are we going to give him 3 years to get up to scratch? He is assistant coach to Talay at Aus u19's level, that is where he is at as a coach

- Ante Millicic: It is a big step up from assistant to manager, again big risk just like Rudan.

There is nobody better available unless someone like Arnold, Muscat or Ange (two of which I wouldn't want anywhere near our club) comes our way and there is a possibility we could look overseas. Only have to look at the national team to see that isn't guaranteed success either.

Popa has shown us year after year that he can take the club forward. Sure questions have been asked about certain aspects of his coaching, why does he find it necessary to clear out the squad (the answer is there if you look hard enough) almost every season, why does he stick to 4-2-3-1, why does he struggle to find a top quality striker, does his iron fist approach hamper or help the club? At the same time, he has shown that he is able to clear out the squad whilst making us challenge year after year, he has changed the philosophy of the team (counter attack to possession based football), he is spending in a reasonable manner in terms of making the club sustainable in the long term & the work being done around our training base/youth academy will secure the long term success/future of our club.

There are fine lines in football between success & failure, our visa players haven't been a total success, recuitment hasn't been 100% spot on (some factors being out of his control), losing parramatta stadium our fortress has hurt the team and all these factors hurt our team. People don't seem to take into account that having a salary cap hurts us every year we have success & the answer to everything once the team hits a rough patch is to sack the coach.

I remember at the end of S3 & start of S4 we were all asking the same questions about Popa. Had a disastrous end to S3, just avoided the wooden spoon & our early season form to S4 was very concerning. After 6 games we were unstoppable & had we had the keeper we were supposed to have, I think we would have won both the trophies last year. After 4 fantastic years everyone is so quick to move him on & bring in fresh blood.

What if we win the post season cup this year? What if we get through to the next round of the ACL? People are acting like the season is over. I understand that people are frustrated but it seems like frustration is a perfect excuse to throw reason out the window. It is as if somehow we are immune to the same issues that football clubs & teams around the world face every year. The difference however we are in the bubble of the A-League where having no pro-rel & a salary cap make things a little different to clubs overseas. Sustained success or good performance over the long term is close to impossible & no pro/real actually means that clubs like the Wanderers can persist with a coach like Popa whereas if we were in a league where champions league spots or league position or trophies nets significant windfalls or relegation means a significant financial penalities then things would be different.

From my perspective:

- Let's judge the season & Popa, when the season finishes not mid way during the season

- Let's look at moving Popa on when we actually have an upgrade to bring to the club.

- I agree that if Popa loses the faith of the players, staff or board much like someone like Mulvery or Mourinho did at Chelsea last year then I agree that he has little option but to move on.

IMHO, Popa has a fortnight with games against Perf, Heart & Smurfs in which to resurrect our season & potentially his career, or the natives will become restless. If we're in 8th or 9th position come January 15th, surely he has to walk.  

As Prydz has suggested, it's not about his past record of accomplishments (which includes losing 3 GF's) it's about whether our inaugural coach can take us forward on our journey, particularly given our clubs stated desire to finish top 3 / play in ACL every season. 

Roy Masters wrote an article many moons ago, about the value of coaches at a club. From memory, he suggested that successful coaches were at their peak in terms of value to a club in years 2 + 3, with their value usually in decline thereafter in years 4 + 5, IF they lasted that long. 

Possible replacements you say. Here's just 4 potential candidates, listed in alphabetical order. 

Critterden

Gombeau

Millicic

Rudan 

Sure none of them have been an assistant at an EPL club, but, they all have experience coaching at either ALeague or local NPL level

Gombau: Just been given a nice cushy job at the FFA, he won't be in a rush to leave

The others: How much time do you give these coaches time to find there feet? If they aren't delivering after 12-18 months do you give them the punt?

On a coaching cycle: The length of time a coach/manager stays at a club is all about how he deals with challenges. Is a coach able to evolve or adapt? Is a coach able to guide his team through a rough patch whilst managing the expectations of fans, players, staff & board? Is a coach able to meet what is expected of him at a club?

Find a successful overseas manager & hire them. How much would it cost to steal someone like Mauricio Pellegrino from a newly promoted La Liga team?

Popa has several glaring weaknesses. The board needed to step in to fix them (**** recruiting, alienating & booting players 3 months into the season, lack of preparation this season, only tactic is an unchanging 4-2-3-1, awful set pieces) but they haven't.

This idea that he needs to have a good January to prove he should keep his job is ridiculous. I implore the PopaOut brigade to go have a look at the history of the a-league. Teams go up and down. That's what happens in a salary capped league. What the good teams do is bounce back the next year.

To properly evaluate Popa - and to live by the loyalty that apparently we have but the smurfs do not show their coaches - then next year should determine his future.

You have to take the environment into consideration. If you are manager of Real Madrid and can't beat Osasuna with the best players in the world, then you might get sacked after a bad half-year. If you are a coach in a salary capped league that has won the league, the ACL, made 3 grand finals in 4 years, and changed the style along the way, then you deserve to prove you can rebound after one bad season where the recruitment obviously went pear-shaped.

Gombau: Just been given a nice cushy job at the FFA, he won't be in a rush to leave

The others: How much time do you give these coaches time to find there feet? If they aren't delivering after 12-18 months do you give them the punt?

On a coaching cycle: The length of time a coach/manager stays at a club is all about how he deals with challenges. Is a coach able to evolve or adapt? Is a coach able to guide his team through a rough patch whilst managing the expectations of fans, players, staff & board? Is a coach able to meet what is expected of him at a club?

Gombau is an Asst to Ange & overseeing the youth & Olyroo squads. I doubt it's his dream job, particularly as he appears to enjoy the attention he received whilst an AL coach.

The article to which I referred, focused on the ability of a coach to attract major talent to the club & his cost effectiveness.

It's evident that we have not (for whatever reason) captured quite a few of our recruitment targets in recent seasons. 

If there isn't a miracle finish to the season with us winning the Grand Final (right now we look more likely to finish in the bottom 4), it will have been 2 and a half years since our last trophy. When you consider we won't be able to win the FFA Cup until December 2017 it will be 3 years, if we manage to win it.

This idea that he needs to have a good January to prove he should keep his job is ridiculous. I implore the PopaOut brigade to go have a look at the history of the a-league. Teams go up and down. That's what happens in a salary capped league. What the good teams do is bounce back the next year.

To properly evaluate Popa - and to live by the loyalty that apparently we have but the smurfs do not show their coaches - then next year should determine his future.

You have to take the environment into consideration. If you are manager of Real Madrid and can't beat Osasuna with the best players in the world, then you might get sacked after a bad half-year. If you are a coach in a salary capped league that has won the league, the ACL, made 3 grand finals in 4 years, and changed the style along the way, then you deserve to prove you can rebound after one bad season where the recruitment obviously went pear-shaped.

But they haven't been getting smacked around the park by their biggest rivals year in year out either, Or having the mass player turnover at the end of each season, Or signing spuds on the cheap. We have.

And yes he does need to have a big January, you really think he'll survive if we get thrashed at Arnie's and brings in next to nothing in the transfer window? 

We consider ourselves to be a big club right? Results matter and the results are not good enough at present and there are no signs at this stage they will change. We have arguably the best player in the history of our club in Nico in the side yet he has no help in banging in the goals his quality deserves, that's just one example of where the rot is. 

He has earned the chance to turn things around, that chance is January. Otherwise he has to go simple as that, his position will be untenable and we'll be right up s*** creek otherwise.

And there is one option that hasn't been discussed yet, Andrés Carrasco. If Popa does get shown the door he should get the chance to take over to see the season out. 

Edited by jdrudd91

The problem for me with what has happened is that Popa has surrounded himself with the old SFC brigade in the coaching area (Hayden Foxe, Zeljko Kalac, Ian Crook etc). It has just felt like these guys have been given cushy jobs, and I wonder if anyone has earnt anything through merit. It also feels like too many people are too comfortable with how it is all working. Only the players feel the pressure, however in the players case it seems to be very cut throat. Maybe too cut throat.

Edited by WestSyd

We consider ourselves to be a big club right?

If you are expecting success every season, be prepared for a long and disappointing life as a Wanderers fan. Even without Popa as coach.

No club can have continued year on year success in a salary capped league.

• mack unpinned this topic