Coach and Staff Thread

when a great horse trainer wins the melbourne cup he doesn;t win races with that horse before the day when they give out the toilet seat  he waits and spends his time seeing what he is up against then moves into position with his back covered buy the fans

I can't see how that is relevant at all, let alone whether it is even true
one day you mite understand and see the level of thought that popa puts into his role then you mite look between the lines of my post and discover the truth and relevance kind sir

You're right, when Popa wins the Melbourne Cup I'll eat my words

the grand final trophy is whats on offer the quote about the melbourne cup is where the grandfinal will be played this year 

Flemington?

melbourne 

"It’s about him getting accustomed back here, starting to sleep better so he’s getting over the jetlag…. We haven’t made a decision, we’ll wait until after training.†- Popovic on Antonis.

Either Popa just talks crap or he has lost his marbles. If Popa was coach of the Socceroos, all overseas based players who would fly in a couple days before a home qualifier would be deemed unfit to play. Then we would have a whinge about the referee.

"It’s about him getting accustomed back here, starting to sleep better so he’s getting over the jetlag…. We haven’t made a decision, we’ll wait until after training.†- Popovic on Antonis.

Either Popa just talks crap or he has lost his marbles. If Popa was coach of the Socceroos, all overseas based players who would fly in a couple days before a home qualifier would be deemed unfit to play. Then we would have a whinge about the referee.

How long does it take to get over jetlag ? 

I don't know, we should ask the Socceroos players how they felt every time to come in and out mid week to play on the weekend for their clubs. Oh wait, Popovic was one of them. Lucky he wasn't player coach, he would of left himself out of squads.

Antonis may be match unfit but jetlag is rubbish. Popa is just talking rubbish.

I don't know, we should ask the Socceroos players how they felt every time to come in and out mid week to play on the weekend for their clubs. Oh wait, Popovic was one of them. Lucky he wasn't player coach, he would of left himself out of squads.

he sadly does talk a lot of rubbish

so not to play devils advocate here but, if everyone is asking for Popa to leave due to whatever reason,

1. who is a better domestic/aussie coach to replace him

2. would you have curoussca (cant spell his name) replace him

3. overseas $$ will outbid us any day, so which realistic O/S coach would you want

Edited by Seffa

so not to play devils advocate here but, if everyone is asking for Popa to leave due to whatever reason,

1. who is a better domestic/aussie coach to replace him

2. would you have curoussca (cant spell his name) replace him

3. overseas $$ will outbid us any day, so which realistic O/S coach would you want

i personally dont think he should leave however him doing the same thing over and over while its failing is not fun plus he seems a bit delusional

For the Antonis thing, the Socceroos comparison doesn't make sense. "Fit" isn't a fixed thing across every team, it's relative to the players you have available. When Ange takes the Socceroos away he can only choose from players who have travelled so that's what he's working with when he determines what "fit" is.

With Antonis Popa has to decide whether a player who's getting over jet lag and has no match fitness is a better choice than someone else in the squad who is match fit and ready to go. If he doesn't think Antonis is a better choice then he doesn't believe he's "fit" yet.

For the Antonis thing, the Socceroos comparison doesn't make sense. "Fit" isn't a fixed thing across every team, it's relative to the players you have available. When Ange takes the Socceroos away he can only choose from players who have travelled so that's what he's working with when he determines what "fit" is.

With Antonis Popa has to decide whether a player who's getting over jet lag and has no match fitness is a better choice than someone else in the squad who is match fit and ready to go. If he doesn't think Antonis is a better choice then he doesn't believe he's "fit" yet.

Nail. Head.

Popa talks in riddles, but they aren't hard to figure out if you take a complete/overall view rather an isolated one of a certain player.

P.s. Fitness can relate to travel and recovery ability.

Edited by braad

Also, the Socceroos squad doesn't have half a season left to play when they get together. Most of the time it's at most two games, so the coach isn't that fussed about their long term fitness. Obviously he doesn't want them to get injured further down the line, but he'll take that risk if it's a must win game because even if they get injured later, there's a good chance that most of the games they miss will be for their clubs.

If Antonis (who is notoriously injury prone) is rushed back and then ends up missing most of the season it's a waste of a signing. It's a bit different to say playing a not quite fit Kewell in a World Cup qualifier when your next national team game is six months away.

Edited by luisenrique

Nail. Head.

Popa talks in riddles, but they aren't hard to figure out if you take a complete/overall view rather an isolated one of a certain player.

The point wasn't if fit. IMO there is no way a guy with 2mins of football in a year can be fit enough to play tonight after just signing with us.

What is the point is what is Popa talking about Jet lag for? The guy has been training with the team for over a week now, no? Jet lag, time zones he is talking $h1t.

Other coaches available... plenty of no head coach experience candidates out there, just like Popa was. Maybe another ex Socceroo, but the point is to at least put pressure on Popa.

How is it normal a player is shipped out for not performing in 10 games yet Popa can go the season and can't ask the question what are you doing mate.

Nail. Head.

The point wasn't if fit. IMO there is no way a guy with 2mins of football in a year can be fit enough to play tonight after just signing with us.

What is the point is what is Popa talking about Jet lag for? The guy has been training with the team for over a week now, no? Jet lag, time zones he is talking $h1t.

Other coaches available... plenty of no head coach experience candidates out there, just like Popa was. Maybe another ex Socceroo, but the point is to at least put pressure on Popa.

How is it normal a player is shipped out for not performing in 10 games yet Popa can go the season and can't ask the question what are you doing mate.

How long ago did you know Melling had a stress fracture in his back?

Nail. Head.

About a month. Happened in the week after the NYL game against COE 

[i don't know, we should ask the Socceroos players how they felt every time to come in and out mid week to play on the weekend for their clubs. Oh wait, Popovic was one of them. Lucky he wasn't player coach, he would of left himself out of squads.

You by any chance wouldn't have any strength & conditioning training, education or knowledge? You seem to know a lot.

If you knew anything about the Wanderers set up, Popa will know when Antonis has gotten over his jet lag & after months of not playing when he will be able to make an impact on the field for us.

Also in regards to Popa talking rubbish, please refer to earlier comments that many have made in regards to Popa talking in public.

Nail. Head.

About a month. Happened in the week after the NYL game against COE

Lol I know you did. The point is that a lot of people don't/didn't. Some of those people start stating Melling is crap because Popa isn't playing him. They are answering a question without all the information. We don't all get access to all the information. The club doesn't release every bit of info, just like Popa. Even if that frustrates some members

[i don't know, we should ask the Socceroos players how they felt every time to come in and out mid week to play on the weekend for their clubs. Oh wait, Popovic was one of them. Lucky he wasn't player coach, he would of left himself out of squads.

You by any chance wouldn't have any strength & conditioning training, education or knowledge? You seem to know a lot.

If you knew anything about the Wanderers set up, Popa will know when Antonis has gotten over his jet lag & after months of not playing when he will be able to make an impact on the field for us.

Also in regards to Popa talking rubbish, please refer to earlier comments that many have made in regards to Popa talking in public.

I know emotions can influence comments and clearly you are a massive Popovic fan.

Actually I do, but I'm not arguing the point is he fit or not. My point is, Popa talks the same way we attack, thumble around rubbish that amounts to nothing.

The Wanderers setup I know very well, and why several have left the club because it is all about 1 man.

Popa has little bit good but the bad is too toxic. Everyone around him haven't all been booted, they left because of him.

The Wanderers setup I know very well...it is all about 1 man.

I disagree with a lot of what you say re: Popa but this is an interesting point.

Someone has to be in charge of the football setup, the playing philosophy etc. This has to be a football person, not a business person like a CEO. I don't think our club is big enough or has been established long enough - and may never be big enough - to hire a GM of football or Technical Director etc to be responsible for the carriage of the football side of things, this has to be done by the head coach. A lot of coaches wouldn't want to work with a Director anyway.

Incidentally, the smurfs seem to be going alright with whats his face the curriculum guy as Football Director. But they've been through a lot of ups and downs and many incarnations, and it was only done when Arnie was under the pump. If we wanted to do that, as you say, Popa is #1 so we'd have to wait till he left I think, or until the juniors and academy were at such a size that it would seem a legitimate new role to bring in to take the club to the next level.

The Wanderers setup I know very well...it is all about 1 man.

I disagree with a lot of what you say re: Popa but this is an interesting point.

Someone has to be in charge of the football setup, the playing philosophy etc. This has to be a football person, not a business person like a CEO. I don't think our club is big enough or has been established long enough - and may never be big enough - to hire a GM of football or Technical Director etc to be responsible for the carriage of the football side of things, this has to be done by the head coach. A lot of coaches wouldn't want to work with a Director anyway.

Incidentally, the smurfs seem to be going alright with whats his face the curriculum guy as Football Director. But they've been through a lot of ups and downs and many incarnations, and it was only done when Arnie was under the pump. If we wanted to do that, as you say, Popa is #1 so we'd have to wait till he left I think, or until the juniors and academy were at such a size that it would seem a legitimate new role to bring in to take the club to the next level.

I think a lot of people are just worried whether Popa has what it takes. I'll give you an example. I know Popa always has the poker face. But I have not heard him at any time while being interviewed speak in depth about tactics, or how he changed formations during a game to turn the game around. He doesn't have to say anything, but genuinely when I look at him during games on the sideline it seems like he doesn't know what he should do. There isn't much change happening (even when we are losing). Tactics don't seem to change much. So we can ask what has he learnt in 5 years as a coach, and will this move the club forward?

I actually think in seasons 1 and 2 he was a better coach tactically. The way we played had a purpose. But then I ask myself was that Milicic behind the scenes working his magic. The way Ante Milicic spoke on SBS last night, he knows the game tactically and what needed to change. Have heard Arnie speak about tactics, Muscat, even Aloisi these days. You can sense these guys are learning quickly. I don't get that with Popa just in his body language at times, and the way he speaks when discussing games we have played. I think he gets rid of a lot of players because he can't coach an average player to be a good player, or fit into a team and do their role. Good coaches are able to do this to an extent.

People are different. Different people interpret coaching differently. Merrick, when asked by journos about tactics or formations, has a facial expression which seems to say "you poor sods, you all want to be coaches and know better, don't you?".

Popa is all about control. The club in general and him in particular don't give anything away. Lots of public statements and talk without saying anything much of substance.

Ono, Castelen, Polenz etc all gave him good marks. Ono considered Popa the best coach he's ever worked with. Ono also mentioned how players visibly improved, week by week.

The game plane has been sound all season, but the club didn't sign the players to excecute it successfully.

What Popa says publically is just to appease the journo's and protect his players. In terms of tactics if you quickly look over the Popa history he hasn't done too bad. What he is guilty of is no change in formation it's been the same since day dot. You can further add apart from late season 2 and ACL when Juric was good we have never had a proper striker so for into our 5th year we are still yet to have a proper guy up front.

Popa in season one debunked the mighty Roar who were claimed with revolutionising the game in Oz. All the other A-league coaches couldn't do **** for 2 years before he came.

Season 1 Grand Final we get a bullshit no call on a certain pen and Mariners get the same call at the other end. Rest is history

Season 2 he keeps pace despite playing ACL. Topor goes down, Bullshit foul for free kick - Polenz play Berisha onside of free quick for late equaliser Rest is history.

Season 3 - we all put our hand up and say this season was ****

Season 4 - Changes style completely makes another GF. Probably the only grand final of the 3 we actually can say we didn't compete and were beaten by better team without bullshit ref calls. People more or less like the way we played.

Tactics isn't just about what you do on game day. It's about how you use your players and get the maximum out of them. Last year Bridge was outstanding after season 3 when most called for him to be ****ed off. Pope deserves credit for things like this.

If this season Popa can again salvage something, have a decent ACL campaign of you look over the 5 years then I don't know how people call for his head. 

One thing I will say Popa has a big fail against him for his record against Smurfs and Victory for a long time. He needs to start turning that around.

I don't doubt that Popa is good motivator and he does during games attempt to speak to players to get them into position, encourage them etc. But. I think until he starts winning games through changing formations or even positioning players differently on field (ie making sure we use more of the width of the pitch, make sure fullbacks aren't exposed) people will always have a question mark over him. I need to see him win a game by changing something on the pitch to counteract the opposition. Too many times, especially in big games, we are as limp as dog with three legs. Let's hope he has something up his sleeve this week, but I'm not holding my breath.

btw it is not a PopaOut thing for me. Just discussing his qualities and negative attributes.

I don't doubt that Popa is good motivator and he does during games attempt to speak to players to get them into position, encourage them etc. But. I think until he starts winning games through changing formations or even positioning players differently on field (ie making sure we use more of the width of the pitch, make sure fullbacks aren't exposed) people will always have a question mark over him. I need to see him win a game by changing something on the pitch to counteract the opposition. Too many times, especially in big games, we are as limp as dog with three legs. Let's hope he has something up his sleeve this week, but I'm not holding my breath.

btw it is not a PopaOut thing for me. Just discussing his qualities and negative attributes.

ACL quarter (?) final when we needed to win by 2 goals to progress, pretty sure we went to a 4-4-2 mid-game when we were chasing the second

There's a question mark over Popa until he changes something on the pitch to counteract the opposition? Did you watch NYD match against PG? Baccus on for Bruno and all of a sudden every pass forward at all costs. Direct play to front three. But because you can't see different lines of players on the pitch it's not good enough?

:smurfnono:

Every pass forward at all costs? Sounds like a plan!

But I will ask this for the match next Saturday night? Do we have a plan for when Brosque and Bobo start aggressively pressing Aspro and Cornthwaite and they start clearing balls out of desperation? Do we have a plan for if Holosko and Grant start getting a tonne of space down our left hand side? Or when SFC central defenders smother our attackers and force them to the sidelines giving them no space? This will happen just like the first derby game because they no we have no answer to it. Now is where Popa really earns his money.

Every pass forward at all costs? Sounds like a plan!

But I will ask this for the match next Saturday night? Do we have a plan for when Brosque and Bobo start aggressively pressing Aspro and Cornthwaite and they start clearing balls out of desperation? Do we have a plan for if Holosko and Grant start getting a tonne of space down our left hand side? Or when SFC central defenders smother our attackers and force them to the sidelines giving them no space? This will happen just like the first derby game because they no we have no answer to it. Now is where Popa really earns his money.

No, you're right, there's no plan. They probably haven't even researched the opposition. Let's hope they show up at the right ground!

It's very hard for coaches to face the journalists especially straight after the game. The emotions are still high and but they have to watch every word they say otherwise they get fined. If it wasn't in their contract I'm sure the coaches will prefer not to answer questions.

• mack unpinned this topic