Coach and Staff Thread

Every pass forward at all costs? Sounds like a plan!

But I will ask this for the match next Saturday night? Do we have a plan for when Brosque and Bobo start aggressively pressing Aspro and Cornthwaite and they start clearing balls out of desperation? Do we have a plan for if Holosko and Grant start getting a tonne of space down our left hand side? Or when SFC central defenders smother our attackers and force them to the sidelines giving them no space? This will happen just like the first derby game because they no we have no answer to it. Now is where Popa really earns his money.

No, you're right, there's no plan. They probably haven't even researched the opposition. Let's hope they show up at the right ground!

Probably the best we can hope for, given our train wreck of a season thus far 

But I will ask this for the match next Saturday night? Do we have a plan for when Brosque and Bobo start aggressively pressing Aspro and Cornthwaite and they start clearing balls out of desperation? Do we have a plan for if Holosko and Grant start getting a tonne of space down our left hand side? Or when SFC central defenders smother our attackers and force them to the sidelines giving them no space? This will happen just like the first derby game because they no we have no answer to it. Now is where Popa really earns his money.

Honest question, how do you plan when your squad is shite? The poor recruitment is another discussion, but the fact is we don't have a good striker that could exploit the talents of our attacking mids. Whoever we put on will be pushed around by ESFCs CBs.

As for our CBs being pressured, that's where Dimas & Pinatares/Antonis come into play with our full backs, they need to make triangles. Confident and smart defensive play can hurt opposing attackers if done right (that's something worked on at training, not so much a tactic). I'm not keen on ******* about at the back too much but our players need to help their teammates by finding suitable space to receive a ball and release the pressure. This then leads to our attacking mids and wings moving into space, if our full backs get the ball there should always be 3 or 4 players (marked or not) in line for a pass.

If I'm a RB with the ball in a defensive area I should be able to directly see my inner CB, a CM and a mid/wing up the line. If the CM seen is marked then he should be dragging his marker with him to allow the other CM to receive a ball. If not him, the the same story with the CBs. Players need to read the game, but also the space and how others and their own movements affect space and options.

That ability comes down to players capabilities and their confidence. We have ****ed up our recruiting so we don't have many players that can come on and influence a game. We are struggling to have anyone on the pitch effectively utilise the abilities of our genuine X-factor players (Nico & sometimes Nichols)

Honest question, how do you plan when your squad is shite? The poor recruitment is another discussion, but the fact is we don't have a good striker that could exploit the talents of our attacking mids. Whoever we put on will be pushed around by ESFCs CBs.

As for our CBs being pressured, that's where Dimas & Pinatares/Antonis come into play with our full backs, they need to make triangles. Confident and smart defensive play can hurt opposing attackers if done right (that's something worked on at training, not so much a tactic). I'm not keen on ******* about at the back too much but our players need to help their teammates by finding suitable space to receive a ball and release the pressure. This then leads to our attacking mids and wings moving into space, if our full backs get the ball there should always be 3 or 4 players (marked or not) in line for a pass.

If I'm a RB with the ball in a defensive area I should be able to directly see my inner CB, a CM and a mid/wing up the line. If the CM seen is marked then he should be dragging his marker with him to allow the other CM to receive a ball. If not him, the the same story with the CBs. Players need to read the game, but also the space and how others and their own movements affect space and options.

That ability comes down to players capabilities and their confidence. We have ****ed up our recruiting so we don't have many players that can come on and influence a game. We are struggling to have anyone on the pitch effectively utilise the abilities of our genuine X-factor players (Nico & sometimes Nichols)

Not a bad response. I can see your point about the triangles, but are Cornthwaite and Aspro capable of remaining calm and using defensive mids to play out? Dimas will be an important player in this case as the communication will need to be right. I also hope we are man marking their attacking players and not giving them space, because as soon as players like Brosque, Ninkovic and Holosko get any space, you are asking for trouble. They are also extremely fit. So good idea to slow the game down and have a lot of stoppages.

I get your point about not having the personnel. But we still have guys like Mitch and Nico who are dangerous in space. We also have players who are capable of defending as a unit. We will need to stifle them more than anything, and then hopefully hit them with a goal or two on the counter.. Jumpei might be useful brought on the in the last 20 mins to run at tired legs. Your point about our strikers getting pushed around, maybe Eli Babalj might come in handy if we can sign him. We have always been suited to bigger guys up front who can hold the ball up for us and draw in players to create space for others. For this game I guess Scott will have to stand up and not be pushed around.

Martinez:

"It's very dynamic here, it's a transition game. You attack, you defend, you attack, you defend even if you are winning," he said.

"Australian teams need to be more clever. If you are leading, you have to be difficult to break down. You have to close down sometimes, be compact and after play your football."

That's how Adelaide won both titles last year.

Martinez:

"It's very dynamic here, it's a transition game. You attack, you defend, you attack, you defend even if you are winning," he said.

"Australian teams need to be more clever. If you are leading, you have to be difficult to break down. You have to close down sometimes, be compact and after play your football."

YES, YES, YES.

Where's this quote from, FCB?

Martinez:

YES, YES, YES.

Where's this quote from, FCB?

So Nico has a couple of plans. Is he having a dig there at our team?

Nico to be announced as player/coach next season :)

Bandit,

You'll love this: a Bossi article hahaha (at the bottom).

The Sydney A-League derby obsession of Western Sydney Wanderers' marquee Nico Martinez

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers/the-sydney-aleague-derby-obsession-of-western-sydney-wanderers-marquee-nico-martinez-20170112-gtqdca.html

Popa to leave at season's end.

but why did we sign risdon from next season? no point signing players for next season if the current coach isnt going to hang around. Especially if they're good players

Maybe Risdon knows or has an idea of who the next coach would be???? maybe. 

Popa to leave at season's end.

https://twitter.com/Gatty54/status/819722448539033600

but why did we sign risdon from next season? no point signing players for next season if the current coach isnt going to hang around. Especially if they're good players

Maybe Risdon knows or has an idea of who the next coach would be???? maybe.

Wouldn't be the first time this scenario.

But this is good news all around.

With Popa we should show him the same respect all the players. Shake hands, we're friends, you did great but we just squeezed the most we can out of you in the shortest amount of time before sending you packing.

Did I say we are still friends.

• mack unpinned this topic