Coach and Staff Thread

it would piss off sydney fc fans if we got him so we should get him purely because of that with Miron and Papas as assistants, i think we should have at lest 6 assistants

Sydney FC were the only A-league club in Sydney for close to 10 years. It is inevitable that all the players based in Sydney, and Sydney football personalities would be associated with them. Now that Wanderers have been created, there is a balancing act which is taking place whereby Wanderers are developing their core following and personalities/players who are becoming associated with the club. It was always going to happen.  

Honestly is there anything that doesn't piss Sydney FC supporters off?

Edited by WestSyd

it would piss off sydney fc fans if we got him so we should get him purely because of that with Miron and Papas as assistants, i think we should have at lest 6 assistants

Sydney FC were the only A-league club in Sydney for close to 10 years. It is inevitable that all the players based in Sydney, and Sydney football personalities would be associated with them. Now that Wanderers have been created, there is a balancing act which is taking place whereby Wanderers are developing their core following and personalities players who are associated with the club. It was always going to happen.  

Honestly is there anything that doesn't piss Sydney FC supporters off?

that is very true i mean hell ******* Popa played for them(as everyone knows) there is not much in sydney untouched by their stench and lol that is very true they get pissed off about virtually everything

also as its been said by Mack, good bloke but i wouldnt want Merrick

I'll take over you fuks, all of you here are hired as assistant coaches

thank you i wont disappoint you as an assistant coach

*re hires Bulut* :ninja:

Ian Crook, he's a good guy. 

For what it's worth: last April after Rd 27 I was at the Phoenix supporters pub. Team and Merrick were there. Without wanting to be overly dramatic: the admiration for Merrick of those present was obvious. Those of us who got a chance to speak to Ernie got a whiff of where that comes from.

Ernie Merrick? Good bloke, but well beyond what we need. At best he kept Wellington treading water.

Don't agree. Several times Popa has made reference to the Phoenix being "well coached". He doesn't say that about anyone else. His work at Phoenix speaks for itself. He transformed the club.

I am a Merrick fan I confess. Not because he is a nice guy. But because of his direct attacking style he used with both Victory and Wellington. In both cases his teams scored a lot of goals and played some lovely football. The thing with Wellington is that he didn't have the squad he quite had at Victory, where he had more resources at his disposal. If you give a team of decent players, I think he would do well.

But more than likely we will get someone like Rudan who could do well and punch above his weight, or he could be out coached by more experienced guys. It will be a gamble whatever way you look at it.

Ernie Merrick? Good bloke, but well beyond what we need. At best he kept Wellington treading water.

Merrick in his time at Wellington shows that the game seems to have gone past him. Fantastic record at Victory but with a decent squad at Wellington hugely under performed. The last thing we want is Merrick coming here & under performing. In fact, I'd say there are very few ready made Australian coaches that would be able to walk into the managers role at WSW. Are we willing to take a risk on some like Milicic or Rudan, if after 6 months or so the results are average, how long do we give them before we call for their head? Hell 6 months after Popa came second & made a third grand final appearance, we are all calling for his head, can you imagine the next coach that comes in :lol:

Popa rumoured to be going off to China, just like he was rumoured/linked to the CP job. Seems very much similar type of rumour, a definite possibility & the ball is in Popa's court whether he wants to move or not. The fact is that the A-league without pro/rel means that there isn't as much pressure on coaches as there should be & it allows young managers to develop without the constant pressure. The question now needs to be asked, there have been issues this season & we must now look how Popa changes things around in the second half of the season. Can he? Is he able to change things? Even then, I'd say he'd get another opportunity for at least six months next season to put things right.

The issue with going overseas is that if Popa had a season like this in China or England (or where ever he plans to go) he'd be out within half a season. No chance he'd be given the opportunity to change things around. He has job security at the Wanderers, he has his family (sons in there early teens), he is in complete control of the football side of things at WSW & he wants to oversee the development of the new training facility. I can't see him wanting to leave this role, until he has completed all that he wants at the Wanderers & he feels like he is unable to muster the support of the stakeholders at WSW. Clear he has the backing of those at the club & players but the fan base seems divided with those loudest cries coming from Twitter.

I think that Aloisi this season has shown that he is able to add a defensive grit & determination to his free flowing & attacking side. Definitely an improvement on his time at City & you wonder with a stable club with substantial funds for 3 marquees he'd be able to take his management style to another level.

----------------

Whoever comes in next needs to be of a high quality, someone who understands what the fans want from the players & the style of play. Enough time needs to be given to put his imprint on the side & allow him to develop his team. The key for me is consistency, chopping & changing managers on a whim is not the answer. If the owners listened to the the Twitter folk who wants to sack anyone the second the team starts to underperform seems to reinforce the modern trend of clubs whose answer to poor results is sacking the manager. It is not healthy for the team or the club, especially in the long term.

Hang on, so was the Wellington squad good or ****? I'm getting mixed messages here

Also, imagine what popa might achieve with these imaginary "good" squads that we're apparently going to give whoever possibly takes over, if/when Popa moves on anytime soon/maybe/possibly

Merrick at Wellington.

13-14 - 7 Wins, 7 Draws, 13 Losses - Finished 9th.

14-15 - 14 wins, 4 Draws, 10 Losses - Finished 4th (5th if it weren't for the Perth cap breach). They were utterly dreadful in the last month of the regular season, then lost 2-0 at home in Week 1 of finals. 

15-16 - 7 Wins, 4 Draws, 16 Losses - Finished 9th.

16-17 - 2 wins, 6 Losses - Was 10th after losing 2-0 to Adelaide in his last game.

In the same timeframe Popovic has managed 3 more wins than Merrick. He shouldn't even be considered as our next coach, you don't go out and find a coach who is worse than your current one.

Hang on, so was the Wellington squad good or ****? I'm getting mixed messages here

Also, imagine what popa might achieve with these imaginary "good" squads that we're apparently going to give whoever possibly takes over, if/when Popa moves on anytime soon/maybe/possibly

The squad is excellent but Merrick hasn't been able to get the best out of them.

In terms of a man, Merrick seems to be a fantastic person & you'd imagine that in terms of man management he'd take the opposite approach to Popa.

The biggest issue with squads, is that as soon as a team looks to have success, players will look to want more money. A salary capped league will always hurt the successful teams unless you somehow get players to play for less or some creative accounting. I really ask questions with the teams of city & victory. StPeters explained how Easts managed to get such a good quality squad but I still have my doubts.

Merrick at Wellington.

14-15 - 14 wins, 4 Draws, 10 Losses - Finished 4th (5th if it weren't for the Perth cap breach). They were utterly dreadful in the last month of the regular season, then lost 2-0 at home in Week 1 of finals. 

16-17 - 2 wins, 6 Losses - Was 10th after losing 2-0 to Adelaide in his last game.

In the same timeframe Popovic has managed 3 more wins than Merrick. He shouldn't even be considered as our next coach, you don't go out and find a coach who is worse than your current one.

but it's the WSW way

Andreu - Pinatares

Alberto - Borda

Edited by braad

Merrick at Wellington.

but it's the WSW way

Andreu - Pinatares

Alberto - Borda

Castelan - Jumpei

I thought the generall vibe with the Nix was Merrick did a good job turning them round with no marquee signings, and little money. Finally the owners put some money in and Brought in two marquees (Finkler and barbarousis) so there was an expectation on doing better than they have done, hence he went.

Merrick at Wellington.

He shouldn't even be considered as our next coach.

Way too simplistic.

13/14 Squad fell apart in final third of season due to injuries. I believe up to ten players were out. We know from our S3 what that does. Before that they were a handful.

15/16 Substandard conditions as the club found itself on death row. Merrick in his April 2016 pub speak gave a little bit of an insight how tough it was.

16/17 Squad didn't respond to him, and he saw himself out. Just when they finally sorted themselves out with marquees. Team members spoke publicly how they had let the coach down.

There are people here who suggested that Popa is the reason why players move on, that he is a my-way-or-highway guy.

In contrast, the only people who might have anything bad to say about Ernie are at the VIC. Some took offence Merrick forklifting Barb and Finkler out of their club.

There were those who thought in 2011 that Heynckes was past his use by date: too old, hasn't won anything in ages, they said. Somehow they all had changed their mind two years later.

We never dominated a Merrick coached Phoenix side as an Arnie coached Smurf side. Considering the various constraints at the Nix it says a lot about the quality of coaching there.

I thought the generall vibe with the Nix was Merrick did a good job turning them round with no marquee signings, and little money. Finally the owners put some money in and Brought in two marquees (Finkler and barbarousis) so there was an expectation on doing better than they have done, hence he went.

Blake Powell scored 4 goals against us at Parramatta which tells you something about the quality of players they were relying on to win games.

Blake Powell scored 4 goals against us at Parramatta which tells you something about the quality of players they were relying on to win games.

We have only score 6 at SoP in half a season. Powell for marquee!

I actually think he is ok too. He's a better player than Sotirio who will be starting up front for us tomorrow

The hunger to jump into this conversation concerns me.

Popa ain't going anywhere. He's not leaving after this poor campaign. Not his style. He'll get us back on top and win a GF.

It's been one half of a poor campaign. Have faith.

i personally dont think he is leaving but hell might as well assume he is right now, gives us something more to talk about

Popa to leave at season's end.

https://twitter.com/Gatty54/status/819722448539033600

but why did we sign risdon from next season? no point signing players for next season if the current coach isnt going to hang around. Especially if they're good players

Maybe Risdon knows or has an idea of who the next coach would be???? maybe.

Part of me would love Kenny Lowe as our coach just for the bantz.

Every person that I've spoken too in the last couple of months is saying that it's time for Popovic to go. He's done well without a doubt, but we need a fresh approach.

This coming from all sorts of different people. WSW tragics, WSW casual fans, football lovers etc. 

:nono:

You're just one of the blind popa followers, need to get a dose of reality on Twitter. That is where all the Australian UEFA A license coaches are accumulating, they'll put you in your place.

Thank God the opinion of the "experts" counts as little when it comes to coaching as it counts for recruitment.

We haven't seen the best of Popa yet. He is still a relatively inexperienced coach.

You may well laugh, but I've heard a whisper that a coup will take place on Sunday, after we suffer a humiliating defeat to the Jets at Campbelltown.  

Lou Skunt will be appointed to the position of Head Coach & a family member of his, who holds a FIFA Pro license will act as his deputy. Bozza is expected to be given the role of GK coach & will assume that role after his period of maturnity leave concludes.

I think it's a combination of alcohol and non active support which allows those whispers to emerge.

In the aftermath of the company xmas party I've heard whispers for a couple of days. It's a worry.

I've noticed that the WST are rather quiet supporters. No wonder that whispers can be heard.

• mack unpinned this topic