Coach and Staff Thread

Switch off this nonsense first, then we can indulge in the intricacies of formations and tactics.

Ah yes, formations & tactics under Popa. Do we play 4-2-3-1, or 4-2-3-1. Or perhaps change it up with a 4-2-3-1?

Or do we play the DMs deeper to provide extra cover for the slow CBs? Or do we play the three AMs statically, or allow them to rotate and express their individual expression of attacking football?

There is a reason why Merrick smurks when asked about formations by journos.

I'm not really sure I understand all the Popa out stuff.  Yeah the season is not going well.  Popa and the club made mistakes with recruiting.  I'm not going to call for blood over that because I think it is an impossible task with such a young club with the broader resources we don't yet have.  It isn't about money and how much we have spent - by that I mean it isn't about owners being cheap.  They have said money is there.  The problem seems to be that we go after players and lose others when Plan A decides not to come. I'm not sure we've always worked out who or what will work within the constraints of the A League - physical comp, lower technical, hard grounds, hot/humid conditions.  We have changed styles and predicting who will work as we progress must be a hard thing to do - especially from a distance.

I like that Popa is trying to take our game to a different place and in some ways the style of play is more technical and an improvement on previous style and other clubs.  SFC is an effective style for A League adn they do it very well.  They have a good squad but aren't unbeatable.  It may take time to work out how to break them - we worked out how to neutralise them but don't have the stuff up front to score.  I don't think Popa is done with us yet.  He had developed the most young players this year and our young players are performing very well - at all levels.

As for Press conferences, I like what he does in answering the same old inane questions... Why should he give detailed responses outlining our faults to journos?  Why should he divulge the inner secrets or what is said in the change rooms?

As for players who left last year - it's been said before: Bridge, Topor wanted payday and club respected them and let them go (maybe we could have done an Arnold with Ninkovic?) and they deserve to be able to move on.  Jamo wanteed to try his luch OS whilst he can - what can you do?  There are so many stories around Alberto and Andreu that who really knows what is what.  There are also so many rumours over Popa was offered this one or that one and rejected them or wouldn't pay 20 cents more so they left...

I think that running a professional football club in a salary capped league in the lower levels of world football isn't easy - especially when we have only just started.  This year our greatest weapon is missing and that is fortress Parra - probably Popa's or Leder's fault as well.

There will be good years and years where everything comes unstuck - that is life!  The the good years come back again and they feel so much sweeter.  A mate of mine has waited his whole life to see Western Bulldogs make a GF, let alone win.  He is still annoying the tripe out of me with his love for their win.  I feel very spoiled given what I have experienced in our short life.  It sometimes feels like we haven't earned such success, we haven't put in the long yards,but I'm not complaining.  No other A League team's supporters have sat in their local square at 4:00 in the morning watching with nervous tension as we pulled off the greatest triumph for an A League side.  We can't dine out on that forever and Popa's run will come to an end but I cut him slack and hope that he and the club learn as much through our mistakes and disasters as through our successes.  Fair enough fo some of you to ask the question but I'll support him.  I like his style and can't think of too many others I'd replace hi with - certainly not too many locals.

For me, Popa in.

Switch off this nonsense first, then we can indulge in the intricacies of formations and tactics.

Ah yes, formations & tactics under Popa. Do we play 4-2-3-1, or 4-2-3-1. Or perhaps change it up with a 4-2-3-1?

Or do we play the DMs deeper to provide extra cover for the slow CBs? Or do we play the three AMs statically, or allow them to rotate and express their individual expression of attacking football?

There is a reason why Merrick smurks when asked about formations by journos.

Popa uses the same set of midfielders all the time. Deep holding defensive midfielder. Central box to box midfielder. Attacking midfielder. He doesn't change.

Ah yes, formations & tactics under Popa. Do we play 4-2-3-1, or 4-2-3-1. Or perhaps change it up with a 4-2-3-1?

I don't get the deep concern over 1-2-3-4,  4-3-2-1 or whatever combination of numbers adds up to 10.  It is basically for the kick off and then there is fluidity.  Sure we build player strength around particular positioning on the park but in the age of universality every player should play every type of position and move across the field in relationship with each other. In defence we are more likely to be 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.  In transition we change form again and then attacking it varies.  Whilst there are some subtle differences in how some formations influence play (eg City's 3 at the back was not too effective when the midfielders didn't track back quick enough...) it is more about how players move in relation to each other and play off each other.

We may have played 4-2-3-1 for 5 seasons (less 1-2 games) but the way we play is completely different between now and then (that style grew thin a couple of seasons ago when teams worked out how to stop us).  I think the tactics we use are more subtle than these kick-off formations.  I would say that we won the tactical game against SFC in the last derby and neutralised a brutal attack.  we even got off a few good shots against a tight defence. But we were ultimately beaten by the ref.

I would really like to see and hear some deeper tactical analysis and Fox aren't very good at this - only brief ideas and only pick up superficial points.  Bring back Leopold Method!!

Ah yes, formations & tactics under Popa. Do we play 4-2-3-1, or 4-2-3-1. Or perhaps change it up with a 4-2-3-1?

I don't get the deep concern over 1-2-3-4,  4-3-2-1 or whatever combination of numbers adds up to 10.  It is basically for the kick off and then there is fluidity.  Sure we build player strength around particular positioning on the park but in the age of universality every player should play every type of position and move across the field in relationship with each other. In defence we are more likely to be 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.  In transition we change form again and then attacking it varies.  Whilst there are some subtle differences in how some formations influence play (eg City's 3 at the back was not too effective when the midfielders didn't track back quick enough...) it is more about how players move in relation to each other and play off each other.

We may have played 4-2-3-1 for 5 seasons (less 1-2 games) but the way we play is completely different between now and then (that style grew thin a couple of seasons ago when teams worked out how to stop us).  I think the tactics we use are more subtle than these kick-off formations.  I would say that we won the tactical game against SFC in the last derby and neutralised a brutal attack.  we even got off a few good shots against a tight defence. But we were ultimately beaten by the ref.

I would really like to see and hear some deeper tactical analysis and Fox aren't very good at this - only brief ideas and only pick up superficial points.  Bring back Leopold Method!!

I disagree with you on the tactical battle against the smurfs.Sure we kept a clean sheet,but we didn't score either so it was a draw.

Both keepers were made to make saves,and we missed out on a penalty(,but we got a lucky call for us against the roar.so it goes both ways),but if the object of the game is to put the ball between the posts,we lack the ability to do it consistently,something the smurfs ARE doing this season against better opposition than us at the moment.

I.m no analyst,but we play a high possession game.Thats all well and good if you have the ability and talent to do something with it after 25 passes,but this season we have have had a heap of possession in the opponents half  then we either give it away without any attacking moves,get caught on the counter or make a bad backpass that leads to opposition scoring.

It's not all doom and gloom,it's just infuriatingly frustrating beacause at times we look like we can beat anyone and at others we can be beaten by anyone.

Shame i dont have twitter or fox sports. Can't get to either end of the process

Come over to the dark side. West13 has joined us today

I need to get my real name off that though.. a simple google search of my name brings up some shady characters!

Good post, however, I spoke to my wife about the Leopold Method she listened attentively for some time and then responded "dear we are approaching our twilight years and I don't want to get pregnant again"

Ok, ok. I won't let the door hit me on the arse on my way out.

This is what I need to understand from some people. Why so much love for Popa? ...

Clearly there are some people who are very attached to Popa as a coach, and it seems like he must not be replaced (no matter what).

Maybe there are. But I certainly don't hear from them. 

Like most things on the internet, this seems to get blown up into a situation where you only seem to be able to hold one extreme view - Popa out means you hate him, Popa in means you love him. Obviously it's more complex than that.

For me, this is all about respecting what the coach has done so far, and showing that respect by allowing him the appropriate time to overcome any hurdles and fix any mistakes.

When you have a coach that has built the squad from nothing to Premiers in one year, then won the ACL, then rebuilt the team with a different style, made the GF 3 times in 4 years, and who is working in a salary capped league that will always struggle to find players, you don't throw him out after one bad season when it was clear the recruitment was poor. To me, that is a total disregard for what western sydney is meant to be about, and just reeks of the "Eurosnob my team must always come first" attitude.

It's really that simple for me. If Popa - and the owners - screw up again next year, then you re-assess at that time and if the mistakes are the same or they totally stuff things up beyond all repair, then you say Popaout. Until that happens, have some patience, put up with a little bit of struggle, and show some loyalty. The man has earned it.

That'd be too much social media for me

Drop Facebook, it's not safe to go on there until after dark. 

I need to get my real name off that though.. a simple google search of my name brings up some shady characters!

plus with your profile pic its confusing as **** :P

Hahahah you guys an pick me a new profile pic to use so i dont have a photo of what appears to be some Anglo kid at the Druitt pop up shop.

Hahahah you guys an pick me a new profile pic to use so i dont have a photo of what appears to be some Anglo kid at the Druitt pop up shop.

Mark_Bridge_Football_Player_For_The_West

Your photo is fine, but the name you've chosen sounds a bit woggy

******* wogs. How about Wally Smith??

Well Popa's interview on Bozza's show was slightly more enlightening than normal. Relevant to this thread:

* He didn't really answer the tactical inflexibility question well. Kind of got off track. Would have liked to hear a couple of examples of how he's done things differently in certain games.

* Ante Covic was one of those players rumoured to be unhappy with his treatment. You know, the reason why people won't play for the Wanderers. And yet Ante and Popa seem fine. Weird that.

Popa, on Bill and Bozza....was the same old same old, I thought.

Still aiming for the GF- with 10 more games to turn things around?

Hmmmm...

EDIT- Oh fiddle faddle- raised elsewhere...again.  :rolleyes:

I think that was just a sign of his determination. I like it.

Yeah privately he'll talk about which players we can replace - hence Risdon - but he also believes that anything is possible. We wouldn't have won the champs league without that attitude.

Hmmmm...

And this ends the party political broadcast by the WSW party........

Hahahahaha...I've never seen it quite that way before....but dammit it IS exactly how a politician answers questions.

How to say nothing very meaningful in a few quite articulate sounding words.

Hmmmm...

And this ends the party political broadcast by the WSW party........

Hahahahaha...I've never seen it quite that way before....but dammit it IS exactly how a politician answers questions.

How to say nothing very meaningful in a few quite articulate sounding words.

The difficulty when answering questions that are purported to have come from fans is that you can't say "what do they know" because that is the surest way to turn them against you. So you have to be diplomatic. I think Popa saying "we've always had high expectations and now the fans have caught up, and that is good" is as much as you'll get. Popa did say "keep having those expectations", he didn't shy away from the pressure.

Even Ante, who has no concern about ramping up the pressure on himself because he's not in any position he can get sacked from, but of course still wants the WSW fans to remember him fondly, would only go as far as saying "fans are entitled to their opinions, but are they always right?"

Hmmmm...

EDIT- Oh fiddle faddle- raised elsewhere...again.  :rolleyes:

I think that was just a sign of his determination. I like it.

Yeah privately he'll talk about which players we can replace - hence Risdon - but he also believes that anything is possible. We wouldn't have won the champs league without that attitude.

This is true.

Time will tell .....

******* wogs. How about Wally Smith??

I'd prefer not to offer any further advice on the matter

• mack unpinned this topic