Andrew Redmayne

mack

• 1 month later...

Completely disagree.

How many times last year did we concede a goal because Ante either couldn't claim a cross, or didn't come for a cross and someone headed home from point blank range.

Every time he came to punch the ball, he made good contact and it went out of play.

Keep it up #WallOfRedmayne

I'm still not convinced that either GK is worthy of replacing Sir Ante 'hand of god' Covic for this up coming season. It's a shame we can't morph Bouzanis' distribution game into Redder's game because I believe Bouzanis distribution game is the best in the league with daylight second.

• 2 weeks later...

It's only a practice match but Western Sydney Wanderers goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne will use Tuesday's clash with Canberra FC at Deakin Stadium to prove he deserves to be a first-team regular. 

Redmayne was granted a release from Melbourne City after losing his starting spot to Tando Velaphi last season, and the Wanderers is his fourth A-League club. 

A call from former Socceroo and Wanderers goalkeeping coach Zeljko Kalac gave him the lifeline he was after and the 26-year-old is hopeful he's finally found his long-term home. 

The Australian Institute of Sport graduate won't be gifted a starting spot, given he will battle former Liverpool player Dean Bouzanis to replace the departed Ante Covic as first-choice shot stopper.

Advertisement

But he wants to repay Kalac's faith as a part of a Wanderers squad that has undergone a massive overhaul after last season's disappointing A-League campaign. 

"I started the season for Melbourne City. I just had a run of bad form so I was out," Redmayne said. "Spider [Kalac] gave me a buzz and said he'd like to work for me. 

"I had another year on my contract but when someone of that calibre [wants you] and the quality of the coaching staff here, it was a great chance to progress my game. 

"There's competition for all spots. That's something popa [coach Tony Popovic] has worked on, bringing a lot of depth to the team and it's something you need to challenge for a title." 

The Wanderers' playing personnel have undergone a bigger transformation than any other A-League side, and Redmayne said it meant they would be treating Tuesday's match at Deakin Stadium seriously. 

"I think the gaffer [Popovic] has recruited really well and games like this one in Canberra are crucial for us to develop the team and get everyone on the same wavelength," he said.  

"No game is taken lightly; we'll be going out with all intention to win the game.

"I think Canberra's got a great football supporter base; it's something I noticed in my time at the AIS.

"They've got a W-league team there, so I don't see why A-league can't be played there as well." 

Obviously he's going to say good things about his current employer but here's hoping he's right and Spider / Ron (he's still with WSW right ???) can get him back on track.

yeah, it was ummm, taking the piss.

**** me you're a sensitive lot aren't you?

Hahaha I guess you just had to be there.

Also, why did you guys up there spend so much time sledging the opposition #15 and not encouraging our players? What type of fans have you become?!

Also, why did you guys up there spend so much time sledging the opposition #15 and not encouraging our players? What type of fans have you become?!

SLEEVES!!!

Poor bloke. Was too heavy to stay with jaush

SLEEVES!!!

Poor bloke. Was too heavy to stay with jaush

made him look like a statue.