Manchester United Thread

Haha over the last few days I've seen so many quotes like that attributed to Pogba. There was one going around on facebook where "Pogba" claimed that Fergie called him after he left and laughed at him down the phone for 25 minutes, then grabbed Scholes and they both laughed at him...

So many people believed it.

What's everyone's expectations now. Baring the obvious exits it seems like our squad is pretty much set. I'm still thinking 2nd/3rd, focus on getting in UCL then fix the gaps next off season to see who is and isn't performing under the Mourinho style and go for it the following season on all fronts. 

Yeah Jose's system seems to be:

Year 1 - Solid results. Be in the title race but never the favorite. Finish near the top and qualify for Europe.

Year 2 - Fix the small deficiencies from Year 1 and sweep everyone aside with absolute dominance.

Year 3 - Implode.

He also tends to settle on a first XI and not rotate much so we should get an idea of that lineup pretty soon. My guess is DDG; Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw; Pogba, Schneiderlin; Mkhitaryan, Rooney, Martial; Zlatan. That would give a second XI of Romero; Darmian, Jones, Blind, Rojo; Carrick, Herrera; Lingard, Mata, Memphis; Rashford. Bastian will go, Fellaini will be a Plan B siege weapon off the bench (hopefully) and guest appearances or loans for the young guys (Fosu-Mensah, Borthwick-Jackson, Tuanzebe, Pereira) and the actual young guy (Ashley).

I've noticed that under the first season in most Mourinho's stints that it takes at least one season to get the squad working in the way he wants & clearing out the dead wood.

I feel though that you've brought in such high quality players, had 6 months off & came in early which means that you'll hit the ground running. Maybe not the tittle but you'll go very close!

That starting team is the exact one I want to see us prominently use this season, which is why I was a little concerned about the lack of use of Mkh and Schneiderlin in the Community Shield. Normally it wouldn't worry me since it's just a pre season game but with the lack of minutes our players have been able to have I would've assumed he would've given players he wants to start rd1 with at least a half. Also, like you said, Jose isn't one to rotate much

That starting team is the exact one I want to see us prominently use this season, which is why I was a little concerned about the lack of use of Mkh and Schneiderlin in the Community Shield. Normally it wouldn't worry me since it's just a pre season game but with the lack of minutes our players have been able to have I would've assumed he would've given players he wants to start rd1 with at least a half. Also, like you said, Jose isn't one to rotate much

This is true but I have a feeling that the main reason he has used a small group of players is because of the lack of quality in the squad outside of the core players. There will be plenty of football this season across all competitions which will give plenty of opportunities for these players to stake a claim. I do believe that there is a bit of quality now not just in your starting XI but across 18-19 players which may change things.

Revisit it after 6-8 weeks when you start playing two games per week, then you'll get a good idea about where players stand in Jose's grand plan.

I'm hoping that he was just giving Mkhitaryan and Schneiderlin a rest before the first round of the league. Mkhitaryan played a lot through preseason so no harm in having a day off and I'm assuming Pogba won't feature as he's had no preseason so Schneiderlin will be important in the opening weeks while he gets up to speed.

Still plenty to work on but you can already see the start of the Jose impact on the squad. Play fairly poor for large portions of the match and still score 3 and win quite comfortably. Had an efficiency which we haven't had for a while. Even managed to make Fellaini look great (arguably our bets player after Bailly).

Unfortunately for me I still can't see Rooney fitting into this side, had another poor game and nearly everything came to a halt when it went through him. Even got better in the second half when ibra started to drop deeper to create something for rooney instead of the other way around. Not saying he doesn't have a place in the side but surely he is nearing time to become a squad player, not an instant start, especially with our wealth of options behind the striker. Going to be interesting to see how our team takes shape when Pogba enters. My preference would be for a Pogba/Schnederlein pairing but that doesn't seem likely. 

• 2 weeks later...

What was Mou's reason again for cutting Schweinsteiger from the squad? I'd like to think that a fit Schweinsteiger, even though he might lack pace, would provide structure and control in midfield.

Down to wages IIRC. I agree with you though FCB, Pogba and co need an old head like Schweinsteiger or Carrick to direct from the base of midfield

Two of Carrick, Herrera, Schneiderlin or even Blind in the midfield would be ideal. Pogba shouldn't be playing as the deepest midfielder screening the defence. If he plays there he doesn't have the freedom to cover as much ground, break forward or join attacks on the edge of the box. Plus I don't think he currently has the defensive discipline to play that role (look at the run in behind to get the assist for their second goal. Pogba was marking him but when he broke free Pogba left him and Fellaini had to scramble back).

The biggest problem at the moment is that Jose is playing people out of position to keep Rooney in the starting XI when he isn't playing well enough to justify the compromise. Zlatan hasn't been playing particularly well either but he keeps scoring and getting assists so I can live with 85 mins poor play as long as there's an end product.

Yeah he's still on the books although he isn't going to play. Jose told him that he wasn't going to play him and he should look for another club. He decided to stay so I assume Jose isn't playing him on principle now.

The club released their financial report to the market a couple of weeks ago and they had 6.7 million pounds (the transfer fee paid for Schweinsteiger) written off under "exceptional items" with the description "related to a registrations' impairment charge regarding a reduction in the carrying value of a player no longer considered to be a member of the first team playing squad".

Literally and figuratively written off.

So wanderers can get him on a free, and have him as our Cahill marquee?

Yes we can

What was Mou's reason again for cutting Schweinsteiger from the squad? I'd like to think that a fit Schweinsteiger, even though he might lack pace, would provide structure and control in midfield.

Down to wages IIRC. I agree with you though FCB, Pogba and co need an old head like Schweinsteiger or Carrick to direct from the base of midfield

A year is a long time, apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/30/bastian-schweinsteiger-manchester-united-wolfsburg-champions-league#comments

Mou complaining already that Man United won't win the PL because of Europe League duties. Could have thrown in Sch. in Eindhoven and the League Cup. Maybe he hasn't forgiven the player for knocking Real out of the CL in 2012.

So wanderers can get him on a free, and have him as our Cahill marquee?

Yes we can

A year is a long time, apparently

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/30/bastian-schweinsteiger-manchester-united-wolfsburg-champions-league#comments

Mou complaining already that Man United won't win the PL because of Europe League duties. Could have thrown in Sch. in Eindhoven and the League Cup. Maybe he hasn't forgiven the player for knocking Real out of the CL in 2012.

i don't think we could under the Tim Cahill/Eurosnob Rule.

I think we could get him as the 14 game guest player (same as Luis Garcia) in January.

The guest player sits outside the visa requirement and the squad list.

Wouldn't that fit right into having the two squads during HAL and ACL campaigns. Obvious that he would be HAL only.

Well there's also the fact that he's still contracted to United. The club wrote him off as an asset but that was most likely a legal thing so they can't be accused of misleading investors. It doesn't change the fact that he is still signed to the club.