Sign in to follow this  
Midfielder

Bluesfest @ Byron

O boys and girls look at the latest announcement ..... I love the backsliders as well and song they sing with the title ""' **** Shock Jocks **** em"""... great Aussie band... 

MFBB_cropped.jpg
The Mick Fleetwood Blues Band featuring Rick Vito

Topping this announcement is THE MICK FLEETWOOD BLUES BAND featuring Rick Vito. Mick Fleetwood, drummer and co-founder of the iconic Rock band Fleetwood Mac, with former Fleetwood Mac member Rick Vito, as vocalist and lead guitarist, along with Lenny Castellanos on bass and Mark Johnston on keyboard will be delivering a world class blend of Blues and Rock to the Bluesfest audience.

The Grammy nominated MICK FLEETWOOD BLUES BAND featuring Rick Vitocelebrates Mick Fleetwood's Blues heritage and typical sets include original Fleetwood Mac songs plus great Blues standards such as; 'Oh Well' (Fleetwood Mac), 'Rattlesnake Shake' (Peter Green- Fleetwood Mac), 'Eyesight to the Blind'(Sonny Boy Williamson), 'Love That Burns' (Fleetwood Mac), 'Songbird' (Fleetwood Mac), 'Albatross' (Fleetwood Mac), 'Black Magic Woman' (Peter Green- which was later covered by Santana)'When the Levee Breaks' (Memphis Minnie & Kansas Joe McCoy), 'World Turning' (Fleetwood Mac), 'Stop Messin' Around' (Fleetwood Mac ), 'Shake Your Moneymaker' (Elmore James), with encores including classic Fleetwood Mac tracks like 'Go Your Own Way(Fleetwood Mac), 'Tusk' (Fleetwood Mac) and 'Don't Stop' (Fleetwood Mac).

EaglesofDeathMetal.jpg
Eagles of Death Metal

Californian band Eagles of Death Metal will be making their Bluesfest debut in 2016. The band was formed by singer Jesse Hughes and drummer/guitarist Josh Homme (Queens of The Stone Age) in 1998, after Homme wondered what a cross between the Eagles and a death metal band would sound like.The Eagles of Death Metal recently released their first new studio album in seven years, Zipper Down and coming to Bluesfest is front man and guitarist Jesse Hughes along with touring band Eden Galindo, Dave Catching (Queens of The Stone Age) on guitars, Matt McJunkins on bass and Julian Dorio on drums.

PFCBand1_2016.jpg
Playing for Change Band

The Playing for Change Band is returning to Bluesfest for the fourth time in a row. Playing for Change stand for so much more than just music. It is a movement created to inspire, connect and bring peace to the world through music. Playing for Change supports music schools and programs that are created and operated by the local community and then purposefully connect those communities around the world. The band is made up of musicians from all walks of life coming from all over the world and the Playing for Change Band lineup bringing new material to Bluesfest in 2016 includes: Grandpa Elliott - Vocals (USA), Clarence Bekker - Vocals (Netherlands), Mermans Mosengo Vocals/Guitar/Percussion (Congo), Jason Tamba - Vocals/Guitar (Congo), Titi Tsira - Vocals (South Africa), Tula - Vocals (Israel), Roberto Luti - Guitar (Italy), Peter Bunetta - Drums (USA), Juan Carlos Portillo - Bass (Venezuela) and Keiko Komaki - Keys (Japan) plus special guests! 

Chain2016.jpg
Chain

Also topping this announcement is the legendary and famous Australian Blues bandChain. Since the late sixties and early seventies Chain has been the most influential Blues and Rock band in Australia. Heading to Bluesfest is founding member and guitarist Phil Manning, lead singer and harmonica player Matt Taylor, drummer Trevor 'Trapper' Draper and Dirk Dubois on bass guitar.

Backsliders.jpg
Backsliders

Another of Australia's best Blues outfits, theBacksliders are also putting the Blues in Bluesfest this year. Coming to Bluesfest is slide guitarist, multi-stringed instrumentalist, songwriter and vocalist, Dom Turner,(who is the founding member of the group). Dom will be joined by drum and percussion virtuoso and songwriter Rob Hirst (Midnight Oil), an acclaimed name synonymous with the best of Australian music, has been with the Backsliders for 16 years. Joining Dom and Rob is one of Australia's most innovative and dynamic harmonica players; ARIA award winning harmonica genius Ian Collard (Collard, Greens & Gravy).

EugeneHideawayBridges.jpg
Eugene 'Hideaway' Bridges

Born in New Orleans, USA, Blues troubadourEugene 'Hideaway' Bridges is returning to Bluesfest for his eighth visit, delivering his joyous celebration of American Blues Music to his many fans. He's one of the finest Soul, Blues, Gospel, singer and songwriting guitarists you'll come across. Eugene's latest album Hold On A Little Bit Longer was released in 2015 in memory of his father, Othineil Bridges Sr., aka 'Hideaway Slim', a Preacher and Bluesman. The album has been nominated for best Contemporary Blues Album at the 37th Blues Music Awards (to be held in May 2016) where Eugene is also nominated for best Contemporary Blues Male Artist.

IrishMythen.jpg
Irish Mythen

Irish Mythen, born and raised in County Wexford, Ireland, is joining the Bluesfest lineup for the first time after being the hit of the most recent Woodford Folk Festival, receiving multiple standing ovations and performing up to four encores for some of her performances there, by public demand. Think back to a time in your life when you heard music that was so powerful and beautiful you were instantly engaged. That very well could have been an Irish Mythen show, an experience in the joy of everything.

DiggingRoots_s.jpg
Digging Roots

Also included in today's announcement is Canadian group Digging Roots, consisting of husband and wife duo Raven Kanetakta and ShoShona Kish. Kanetakta is originally from Winneway, Quebec, while Kish is from the Batchewana First Nation in Northern Ontario.Digging Roots blend Folk-Rock, Pop, Blues and Hip Hop influences and after winning the JUNO award for Aboriginal Album of the Year in 2010 for their album We Are, they are back with their latest JUNO award nominated album For The Light. 

FrazeyFord.jpg
Frazey Ford

The Canadian talent continues to be announced at Bluesfest with the addition ofFrazey Ford, a founding member of the brilliant Canadian Folk trio, The Be Good Tanyas. The singer-songwriter, who majestically blends Soul, Folk and Country genres, released her solo debut Obadiah in 2010 and her latest album Indian Ocean(2014) was recorded in Memphis with Al Green's band, the Hi Rhythm Section.

MarshallOkell.jpg
Marshall Okell

Marshall Okell, who offers up a deep, raw, honest, dirty Blues sound that grabs you by the throat and then soothes you with a sweet, honey-tasting musical medicine, is coming to Bluesfest. Marshall Okell released his fourth album Sipping on Rocket Fuel in 2015, recorded in his home town of Byron Bay, right near the home of Bluesfest.

SAHARABECK.jpg
Sahara Beck

Sahara Beck is an Australian singer songwriter, who at 19 years of age is capturing audiences all over Australia with her stunning voice and performance. Sahara is an independent artist in the truest sense of the word - an artist finding her own sound and in the process emerging as not just another remarkable voice. Sahara has a new album,Panacea, recorded in Byron Bay and set for release in May 2016.

EmmaDonovanandthePutBacks_s.jpg
Emma Donovan & The PutBacks

Deadly Award winning vocalist, Emma Donovan is of Naaguja, Yamatji and Gumbainggir/Danggali heritage and is coming to Bluesfest 2016 with Melbourne rhythm combo The PutBacksEmma Donovan and The PutBacks released the Soul LP Dawn in late 2014, which tells tales of grief, struggle and redemption. Emma Donovan and The PutBacks are set to enthral the Bluesfest audience with their powerful vocals and rich Soul sound.

BF_9_Ann_ONLY_030216.jpg

The other day someone started up a conversation about the Byron Bay Blues Fest  ... or Bluesfest... and its culture especially compared to other music festivals ...

Below is a post by someone who for me summed up why Bluesfest is kinda different ... and the music folk on this site will I am sure appreciate.. over to the post made by a poster called BamBamBam

"" You can't compare Bluesfest with all those stupid rave festivals.

Bluesfest has real musicians playing real instruments really well.

Most of the audience at raves are just in it for the drugs, and dancing by themselves.
They are there to get high because there's nothing else to do at those festivals.
Just some yuppies behind a synth pressing laser light buttons while everyone gets plasted.

I'm not saying that its not fun to dance all night while your completely wasted. (of course it is)
But Bluesfest is not offering that kind of entertainment, It has a noise curfew after 12am.
Theres no drinking in the campground, us punters want to get a good nights sleep.
Your neighbors will ask you what bands you saw, not how many drugs you managed to take
Its a different culture, its for people who appreciate music, I actually get high on the music. 

Sure,,, Have a few beers, Eat some great food, And watch the best bands in the world.
Getting wasted at Bluesfest alcohol or otherwise is not a good idea (been there, done that)
You just miss too much of the excellent music, and kick yourself later... """"

Some issues on choosing what to watch 

The link is the playing schedule and you can see what I mean .. Sunday night seems a pickle of a choice ... any ideas ..

http://www.showticksecure.com/BluesFest2013/VenueNet/_uploads/fckeditor/pdfs/Bluesfest16SCHEDULE.PDF

Saturday 

KAMASI WASHINGTON 90 min OR THE MICK FLEETWOOD BLUES BAND 75 m

Damm on Sunday night the Crossroads or Mojo 

MELISSA ETHERIDGE, JACKSON BROWNE, THE BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA

................ OR ...

THE DECEMBERISTS, THE CAT EMPIRE, MODEST MOUSE

Edited by Midfielder

Blind Boys.

Stuff the bloody cat empire.

To quote another member of this forum when some of our mates were considering leaving Santana due to a clash a few years ago:

'You can see the Cat Empire every other week at the Enmore'.

Artists so far times to be worked out ...

Don McLean Friday 25th March, Crossroads Stage - 16.00 

Elle King Friday 25th March, Mojo Stage - 15.30

Saturday 26th March, Delta Stage - 17.30

Jackson Browne Sunday 27th March, Crossroads Stage - 17.45 

Melissa Etheridge Sunday 27th March, Crossroads Stage - 19.45

Moju Juju Friday 25th March, Juke Joint - 14.30

Sunday 27th March, Delta Stage - 13.30 

Steve Smyth Thursday 24th March, Juke Joint - 18.30

Saturday 26th March, Juke Joint - 13.30

Monday 28th March, Delta Stage - 15.00 (60 mins)

D’Angelo Thursday 24th March, Mojo Stage - 20.45

Saturday 26th March, Mojo Stage - 22.00

Kendrick Lamar Thursday 24th March, Mojo Stage - 22.45

The Derek Trucks Band Thursday 24th March, Crossroads Stage - 22.00

Saturday 26th March, Crossroads Stage - 20.00

Ash Grunwald  Sunday 27th March, Jambalaya Stage - 14.30

Monday 28th March, Crossroads Stage - 13.15

City and ColourFriday 25th March, Mojo Stage - 20.30

The National  Friday 25th March, Mojo Stage - 22.30

Some others I am going to see.

Jeff Martin Saturday 26th March, Juke Joint - 20.50

Sunday 27th March, Mojo Stage - 12.45

The Decemberists Saturday 26th March, Mojo Stage - 16.30

Sunday 27th March, Mojo Stage - 20.45

Kamasi Washington Thursday 24th March, Mojo Stage - 19.00
Saturday 26th March, Mojo Stage - 18.15 

If you click on the following link it shows all artists performing gives a biro and puts some youtubes up so you can listen...

http://www.bluesfest.com.au/schedule/?DayID=89

Envious of MF at Bluesfest...but hope he's having a great time there!   :good:

When Midfielder returns, it'd be great to get his impressions.

Highlights??

I especially would like a report on these guys...Please!

:)  :)

Wen

I had to give my tickets to my son I spent 8 days in hospital I got blood poisoning and spent most of Easter out to it ...

Ohhhhh no!

What a shame!!   :(  :(

I'm very sorry to hear that.

Not as sorry as I was ... but then again I am still here to tell the tale ... 12 days in hospital all up...and am so far behind in my work tis not funny.. 

Not as sorry as I was ... but then again I am still here to tell the tale ... 12 days in hospital all up...and am so far behind in my work tis not funny.

And I'm sorry to hear that too.

I guess I did wonder why we hadn't heard anything from you  re the festival.

Always next year they have specials for the next few weeks ..

$ 1,180.00 for two people festival tickets and camping accommodation. 

That is for 5 # 12 hours or 60 hours of shows.... like show and accommodation for two people for $ 20,00 per hour.

I think they sell at this price to they hit a certain % sold and as the festival gets closer the price goes up.

Then you sit back and watch the thing build..

Its always at Easter starting on Thursday finishing on Monday ... and you can get 4 & 3  day tickets as well.

on 14 july tickets at early bird prices go off sale.

if you want cheap tickets only two days to buy em

How was Bluesfest this year?

Last one I attended was the 25th Bluesfest and it was insane.

Thinking of going to next years.

First artist announcement for 2017 is on 8AM on 24 August..

Remember its on at Easter 

Whats happened to the control bar I can't do anything.

This is teh first artist announcement normally there is about 7.... be still my heart ...

http://ecards.showticks.com.s3.amazonaws.com/bluesfest/BLF4706/Poster_FirstAnnounce.jpg

Bert Hart is on the bill and normally is the SBS show Rockquiz and she came on a sorta game show and OMG

Worth watching

Patti Smith does Horses BOOM

Mavis Staples BOOM!!!!

Billy Bragg BOOM!

Jethro Tull MINI-BOOM!

Trombone Shorty BOOM!!

BOOKER T DOING STAX BOOOOOOMMMMMMM! (slight reduction when i remember how most of those guys are dead). 

BOOOOM!

Saw Mavis and Trombone Shorty last time they were here and they were awesome.

Love Billy Bragg and Booker T too.

Here you go MF...and others...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/its-been-a-long-time-comin-but-neil-young-added-to-bluesfest-lineup-20161004-grv0q4.html

BLUESFEST 2017

Neil Young + Promise of the Real

joining…

Santana
The Doobie Brothers
Mary J Blige
Corinne Bailey Rae
Michael Kiwanuka
Nako and Medicine For The People
Gallant
The Suffers
Zac Brown Band
Patti Smith And Her Band Perform Horses
The Lumineers
Buddy Guy (Exclusive)
Bonnie Raitt
Mavis Staples (Exclusive)
Billy Bragg
Jethro Tull
Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
Gregory Porter
Snarky Puppy
St. Paul & The Broken Bones
Beth Hart (Exclusive)
Laura Mvula
Roy Ayers
Booker T Presents The Stax Records Revue
Andrew Bird
Rickie Lee Jones
Joan Osborne
Turin Brakes
The Strumbellas
Jake Shimabukuro
Dumpstaphunk
Nikki Hill
Irish Mythen

Thursday 13th, April – Monday, 17th April 2017
Tyagarah Tea Tree Farm NSW
Tickets: Bluesfest

Do it, Wendy. You won't regret it.

This time I reeeally should, shouldn't I??  :xnod:

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger this time. Been a couple years since I went. Saw Santana and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. Him + Jethro Tull on the one night is a big selling point, as is three hours! of Neil Young. 

Plus plenty of other drawcards like Booker T (saw him straight after we beat the Mariners in the semi in S2, excellent), Roy Ayers, Patti Smith...

This time I reeeally should, shouldn't I??  :xnod:

yep ..... just go,,,,,

Goulburn host an annual Blues festival, and has done so for 21 years. It also includes the Australian Blues awards, The Chain Awards.

Unfortunately, it's not as well known as the Byron Blues, however it has more of an emphasis on Aussie talent, with usually 2 or 3 international or well respected artist for the ticketed shows. The rest of the shows are free, and are held across the city throughout all our licensed venues. It's a really cool weekend, and very cheap. If you enjoy chilling out in a pub or park with some great live music, that's only 2 hours drive from Sydney, this is a must. It's held the 2nd weekend of every February.

http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/country-nsw/goulburn-area/goulburn/events/australian-blues-music-festival

FFS look at the line up this year ... be still my heart .... and looks like I can't go as She Who Must be Obeyed won a school projrct and the prise is we can go to NASA for a week and have a guided tour .... but for the love of the holy mother Mary just look who they have lined up this year.

Wendy if your ever going bto go then this looks like being one of the best...

http://www.bluesfest.com.au