Sign in to follow this  
Midfielder

Bluesfest @ Byron

Just listen to Tash Suktana .... the fourth artist on the above list... she is Aussie from Melbourne ... she is dammmmmm good...

On 29/09/2017 at 10:42 PM, Midfielder said:

First artist announcement

poster.jpg?2018

Second artist announcement

poster_2018_2nd_announce.jpg

29 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Second artist announcement

poster_2018_2nd_announce.jpg

I won't be going but if I was I would definitele like to see.........Robert Plant/John Butler Trio/Jackson Browne/Walter TroutCanned Heat..........just those on their own would be worth the cost of admission.

8 minutes ago, sonar said:

I won't be going but if I was I would definitele like to see.........Robert Plant/John Butler Trio/Jackson Browne/Walter TroutCanned Heat..........just those on their own would be worth the cost of admission.

Jimmy Cliff as well OMG what a voice 

10 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Jimmy Cliff as well OMG what a voice

He was so good the last time he was out. Highlight of the festival.

Just now, Carns said:

He was so good the last time he was out. Highlight of the festival.

agree ... by F he has a presence on the stage and that voice the range and control almost supernatural... 

While I don't mind listening to the blues.......I find these days I can only do so in small amounts....nothing wrong with the music, just how I am these days...prefer a little bit of many artists and styles. Although I have to admit Robert Plant would be a hoot to see.

11 minutes ago, sonar said:

While I don't mind listening to the blues.......I find these days I can only do so in small amounts....nothing wrong with the music, just how I am these days...prefer a little bit of many artists and styles. Although I have to admit Robert Plant would be a hoot to see.

Bluesfest is simply a name. Every year it has a (relatively) small portion of blues music, and a whole lot of other stuff. In the 2 or 3 Bluesfest's I've been to I have seen maybe 3 or 4 blues guys. Usually, I'm attracted to the other stuff anyway. Have seen plenty of great rock, hip hop, roots, soul, reggae and dub music though.

If we're talking blues, my two all time favourites are Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker.

Spearhead :xnod:

I saw the Wailers once and they were okay but would be better if they did more of the repetoire. Still, family man on the bass, if he's still going, not too shabby. 

Youssou n'dour is probably worth checking out.

11 minutes ago, marron said:

Spearhead :xnod:

I saw the Wailers once and they were okay but would be better if they did more of the repetoire. Still, family man on the bass, if he's still going, not too shabby. 

Youssou n'dour is probably worth checking out.

Michael Franti always annoys the **** out of me. Nothing to do with his music, probably just his aura. Pretty sure the last time I was at Bluesfest he ran a yoga workshop, which didn't help my feelings towards him.

Franti was great early in his career, early Spearhead is awesome. I love Home and Stay Human is amazing. Everyone Deserves Music had its moments but a bit preachy/cheesy (too much aura Carns, not enough quality music!), then he did the acoustic one and I lost interest. Maybe the later stuff is good but he lost me.

Also, it didn’t help that he’s like a fixture at Byron, gets kinda tired. Same ****. Him, Ben Harper, John Butler - every second year!

And he just rehashed the same set too much. I would have loved, just loved him to come in bouncing to an extended intro of Listener Supported or something similar, but he just did/does the same stuff. Play the singles - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, here comes the bit where he sings then we sing. MAKE SOME NOISE! Stop it dude.

THEN he started putting the live schtick where the crowd sings into the studio songs! Too much.

I’m interested in hearing Jimmy Cliff’s voice now. Must be some side shows.

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

I’m interested in hearing Jimmy Cliff’s voice now. Must be some side shows.

Seriously man, if you get the chance, check him out.

I knew of him (had heard the name, knew the hits etc.), but was completely blown away! Such a voice, and an amazing presence and performer.

1 minute ago, luisenrique said:

Bluesfest has jumped the shark, same old lineup every year, and it's 600 bucks!

Womadelaide is where it's at, the lineup this year is unreal and it's only the first announcement. And it's 370 for four days. 

https://www.womadelaide.com.au/program

Have been wanting to check out Womadelaide for a number of years.

WTF, $600 for Bluesfest? Never paid more than $3-400ish, which is still a lot of cash for what it is.

4 minutes ago, Carns said:

Have been wanting to check out Womadelaide for a number of years.

WTF, $600 for Bluesfest? Never paid more than $3-400ish, which is still a lot of cash for what it is.

595 to be precise! That's why I think it's a rip-off. No doubt if you go there you'll have a decent time, but 595 for their lineups of the last few years is massively overpriced. I agree that it's not ALL blues, but it's not the most diverse lineup. There's pretty much never any electronic music, hardly ever any big modern acts, it's pretty much a bunch of guitar bands, a few roots/reggae ones, and if you're lucky one afrobeat type one. 

Yeah I've always been keen on Womadelaide, the lineup this year convinced me I had to go, so I've roped btron and a couple other mates in. Recognised about half the lineup, but been listening to some of the ones I didn't and they're amazing. I feel like whoever organises that is putting in so much more effort to bring out interesting and varied artists. 

4 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

No doubt if you go there you'll have a decent time, but 595 for their lineups of the last few years is massively overpriced. I agree that it's not ALL blues, but it's not the most diverse lineup. There's pretty much never any electronic music, hardly ever any big modern acts, it's pretty much a bunch of guitar bands, a few roots/reggae ones, and if you're lucky one afrobeat type one.

Seriously dude, its not ******* Splendour. There are a shitload of festivals that cater for exactly that shite. I think it is good for exactly the target market it is going for, it is usually pretty diverse for a festival.

In saying that, I am only generally interested in maybe 1 in every 3-5 lineups.

1 minute ago, Carns said:

Seriously dude, its not ******* Splendour. There are a shitload of festivals that cater for exactly that shite. I think it is good for exactly the target market it is going for, it is usually pretty diverse for a festival.

In saying that, I am only generally interested in maybe 1 every 3-5 lineups.

Splendour was mad last year. You're right though, I think I'm not the target market any more. Had some great times there the two years I went but haven't been for five years now. The other thing is that most of the lineup is so ******* old! It's nice to see people with a bit more energy on stage. 

9 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

Splendour was mad last year. You're right though, I think I'm not the target market any more. Had some great times there the two years I went but haven't been for five years now. The other thing is that most of the lineup is so ******* old! It's nice to see people with a bit more energy on stage. 

For perspective, I went the first time 13-14 years ago (with my mum - the only person I knew who wanted to go). We both loved it. I introduced her to The Black Keys, Cat Empire etc. She has literally gone every year since. I have been to a couple in that time.

It is not our target market at all. Every year, there are a few acts I really want to see. And every now and then, there are enough acts to make me justify the cost. At the moment I am probably about 60-70% of my threshold to justify it, but I am not convinced yet. At the moment, I am in the "I'll see the Sydney sideshow" phase.

1 minute ago, Carns said:

For perspective, I went the first time 13-14 years ago (with my mum - the only person I knew who wanted to go). We both loved it. I introduced her to The Black Keys, Cat Empire etc. She has literally gone every year since. I have been to a couple in that time.

It is not our target market at all. Every year, there are a few of acts I really want to see. And every now and then, there are enough acts to make me justify the cost. At the moment I am probably about 60-70% of my threshold to justify it, but I am not convinced yet. At the moment, I am in the "I'll see the Sydney sideshow" phase.

The Black Keys were around 13 years ago?? I'm getting old.

5 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

The Black Keys were around 13 years ago?? I'm getting old.

I saw them play Rubber Factory in 2006. So, 11 years. But they played at Bluesfest in 2004 too.

**** the first Blues I went to was 2001. Gee man...

Saw the Oils, one of the best sets I’ve ever seen, blew the roof off.

I tend to like the smaller artists at Byron, the bigger ones are getting worse. It’s like they have to have a “legend”. That was fine when it was Buddy Guy or someone from the JBs or something, but now it’s Lionel Richie. Very dubious.

Though I liked Plant last time he was here.

But stop inviting back John ******* Butler.

I think it’s diverse enough. I clearly remember being there one night and had lost my pals, I was just chilling at the back of a tent looking around (maybe Ozomatli were playing?) and it was a pretty young audience and they were all e-ing off their heads and just dancing. I thought “yeah the Bluesfest is changing, I like this!” 

But for me the Bluesfest lost something when it moved to its own site. They started charging stupid amounts to camp there or you have to get a bus. When you could walk there from town or a non-affiliated campsite it was amazing, had such a different vibe to any festival I’ve ever been. Now it just seems like all the others to me. There’s still something there that keeps it Byron, but for me it’s not the same. Maybe I’m just older and harder to please!

9 hours ago, Carns said:

Michael Franti always annoys the **** out of me. Nothing to do with his music, probably just his aura. Pretty sure the last time I was at Bluesfest he ran a yoga workshop, which didn't help my feelings towards him.

:lol:

I saw a spearhead ozomatli double bill which was awesome. But that was 15 years ago I'd say. 

I'm just a sucker for riddim/version. Half their songs are that. Franti is preachy and not the subtlest but there's never enough politics in music for me :lol:

Was franti charging the hair extensioned types for the yoga? :lol:

2 minutes ago, marron said:

Was franti charging the hair extensioned types for the yoga? :lol:

Oh, no no no.

It was done in the spirit of peace and harmony of course. It was on one of the main stages and hundreds of people took part. Needless to say, I was not one of them.

I own a Spearhead album, they're OK, if a bit generic (what isn't though?).

9 hours ago, Carns said:

What's wrong with yoga,  Carns???? :huh:

After all...it's Byron!!!!

PS I lol'd at your reference to this guy's "aura"....and then you put **** on him for running a yoga class! :P

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Oh, no no no.

It was done in the spirit of peace and harmony of course. It was on one of the main stages and hundreds of people took part. Needless to say, I was not one of them.

I own a Spearhead album, they're OK, if a bit generic (what isn't though?).

Heh of course.

I listened to the first two, and the one they did with sly and robbie.

If I want to just be listening to music then yeah I'll put on something else...

Like this 

Instead of

However, in a live setting, to hear the bassline coming out if a big stack and everyone into it..... that's what my nod was for :lol:

By the way have you seen the jimmy cliff film harder they come? Worth checking out. He was on the verge of superstarDom with that; Island records were all set to make him a megastar but he couldn't agree terms so they went with Bob Marley instead.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

What's wrong with yoga,  Carns???? :huh:

After all...it's Byron!!!!

PS I lol'd at your reference to this guy's "aura"....and then you put **** on him for running a yoga class! :P

Absolutely nothing wrong with yoga. I have done it myself and know the benefits. I am not as keen on some of the self righteousness that can be displayed by some yoga participants. It's a stereotype, of course. Franti seems like a good guy, he's just a bit of a poster boy for some people seeking an alternative lifestyle.

4 minutes ago, marron said:

By the way have you seen the jimmy cliff film harder they come? Worth checking out. He was on the verge of superstarDom with that; Island records were all set to make him a megastar but he couldn't agree terms so they went with Bob Marley instead.

Yes, I have seen it. Not a bad flick considering the time and place. A cameo or two from other musos too (Toots).

6 hours ago, Carns said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with yoga. I have done it myself and know the benefits. I am not as keen on some of the self righteousness that can be displayed by some yoga participants. It's a stereotype, of course. Franti seems like a good guy, he's just a bit of a poster boy for some people seeking an alternative lifestyle. 

Ahhh. .. OK!

All good re yoga. :good:

So now.......what's wrong with some people seeking an alternative lifestyle??  :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

So now.......what's wrong with some people seeking an alternative lifestyle??  :lol::lol:

7 hours ago, Carns said:

the self righteousness that can be displayed by some.

6 minutes ago, Carns said:

The self righteousness that can be displayed by some of them.

Oh OK! :lol:

Peace and love! :grouphug: