Federico Piovaccari

mack

Starting to think he was only on the bench at the derby because we had no other options (ie Santa was injured), and that's why he only got 10 minutes. Santa comes back from injury and replaces him on the bench and Pio no where to be seen?

We'll prob hear in the next day or so that they've agreed to part by "mutual consent"

my guess at it is.....

- popa getting increasingly frustrated with him but keeps giving him chances

- gets to the derby and popa says '**** it - we want to win, I'm picking my best 11'

- pio gets 10 min not happy.

- confronts popa about it next day. goes poorly.

- sent to train separate and left out of match squad

- agent on phone next day saying pay him out.

- popa stonewalls press. but in the background is on the phone trying to find someone to take him on so we don't have to pay out his contract.

my guess at it is.....

- gets to the derby and popa says '**** it - we want to win, I'm picking my best 11'

- popa stonewalls press. but in the background is on the phone trying to find someone to take him on so we don't have to pay out his contract.

Must be very disappointing for the player who moved his family here. Let's hope that this is being resolved quickly and amicability. The last thing we want to see is for Pio to be frozen out of the squad. That would be poison.

my guess at it is.....

The truth is no one really knows what's going on and everyone is speculating. It does say a lot though when Popa says in the media that he is fit but hasn't been selected and that he needs to fight for a position.

* We know he is our Marquee player and that he is our highest paid player

*If he is our highest paid player you would expect him to start more often than not, otherwise what's the point of getting him and paying him so much.

*The last time he was on I thought he played his best games of the season so it was a little puzzling why he was left out. It seemed like he was just starting to find his feet in the A-league.

*Has he missed chances he should have scored, sure he has, just like every striker. 

*Has the service he has been getting been any good. I would say that has been below average.

*He does seem to get offside a lot. Is it because he is timing is runs poorly, has poor positioning or the passer is not releasing at the right time. It would be a combination of all those. 

*I don't think his performances have been the worst we have ever seen, the effort is certainly there.

*I think it sends the wrong message if we decide to get rid of him and its too deep in the season to really get someone else who can make any impact anyway. I don't see the point of getting rid of him when he is only on a 1 year deal.

*You can't expect all your signings to be top drawer. We don't have unlimited funds to buy the best strikers in the world, we are limited by what's out there and strikers are expensive (even the bad ones).

*We had two good strikers which we ended up letting go. Tomi obviously because he wanted to try his hand in Europe and is also injury prone and Bulut who is a divisive and unstable character. I would take them back in a heartbeat over Pio if you really want to know. 

*When you finally get a striker that fits, make sure you do everything you can to keep them. Marquee status, long term deal, cocaine, hookers, whatever it takes :D :D

I'd take Fornarolli over headcase Bulut and glass legs Tomi.  He's showed he has the pace and strength and won't be on Marquee wages though might be next year depending on what they do with Sorenson.  Knowing Melbourne City though they'll cheat the system to ensure they get what they want.  

That said I think Pio needs to knuckle down and keep doing what he was doing in training as it was beginning to show on the pitch.  For sure he's not sticking them away the way we hope but sometimes you just gotta keep working hard and hoping things will improve.  High wage earner doesn't guarantee return.  We should remember that.

I'd take Fornarolli over headcase Bulut and glass legs Tomi.  He's showed he has the pace and strength and won't be on Marquee wages though might be next year depending on what they do with Sorenson.  Knowing Melbourne City though they'll cheat the system to ensure they get what they want.  

That said I think Pio needs to knuckle down and keep doing what he was doing in training as it was beginning to show on the pitch.  For sure he's not sticking them away the way we hope but sometimes you just gotta keep working hard and hoping things will improve.  High wage earner doesn't guarantee return.  We should remember that.

No it doesn't, but it certainly doesn't mean you should continue wasting money on them though either. 

I'm not sure there is another solution for this season. We stuffed up, and spent big money on a dud. He won't re-sign, or be offered a new deal, so use the money to buy someone better next season. That's the only real choice there is I think.

Guest mickisnot

Popa giving him a kick up the arse to see how he responds.

Hopefully he shows he wants it. I rather him coming good and scoring a handful at the tail end of the season then just leaving (especially if we don't get a replacement)
It's an interesting hypothetical (open to anyone)

He comes good very late in the season. Let's say he get 10 good goals by the seasons end and we win the league on the back of his late surge in form. This includes a derby win.

Would you want him for next season?

Hopefully he shows he wants it. I rather him coming good and scoring a handful at the tail end of the season then just leaving (especially if we don't get a replacement)

It's an interesting hypothetical (open to anyone)

He comes good very late in the season. Let's say he get 10 good goals by the seasons end and we win the league on the back of his late surge in form. This includes a derby win.

Would you want him for next season?

If he scores 10 in the remaining season, that's 12 goals and means he's "clicked" with the team. If our team stays similar next season, then why not keep him? You'd hope that he would start the next season firing because he has finally figured out the A-League and WSW.

Any update on this? If we move him on, surely Popa will have a replacement lined up?

The later we leave it, the less likely it will happen. If we move Pio on & bring in a replacement, that deal will be dependent on that club finding a replacement for the player we are bringing in.

It's an interesting hypothetical (open to anyone)He comes good very late in the season. Let's say he get 10 good goals by the seasons end and we win the league on the back of his late surge in form. This includes a derby win.Would you want him for next season?
If he scores 10 in the remaining season, that's 12 goals and means he's "clicked" with the team. If our team stays similar next season, then why not keep him? You'd hope that he would start the next season firing because he has finally figured out the A-League and WSW.
Spot on :good:

We will celebrate every one of those just as hard as Pio will & we will all be very happy. I feel it is more the stuff out of a fairytale unfortunately, will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Guest mickisnot

It was a terrible hypothetical wasn't it?

If scores 10 good goals that would require something spectacular and I'd be keen to keep him on LOL

More what I was trying to get at, is how much would he have to do to, for you, to stay in the team next season?

It was a terrible hypothetical wasn't it?

If scores 10 good goals that would require something spectacular and I'd be keen to keep him on LOL

More what I was trying to get at, is how much would he have to do to, for you, to stay in the team next season?

I wouldn't put a number on the amount of goals, but I want key goals in big games especially match winning ones. I'm talking about derby, victory/city matches & any finals matches we make plus any goals in the other matches (as long as one of the front four are all contributing then Pio doesn't have as much pressure on his shoulders to score in every game).

YOu'd hope that WSW will have someone lined up IF Pio moves on. Because if we don't...then may as well keep him since we're light on strikers as it is.

The problem is how motivated will he be and how much effort will he put in knowing the club doesn't want him? He will be even more of a liability than he is now. We really just have to use Santalab now. Although I always thought a top class striker was the difference between us coming 1st and coming 3rd, 4th or 5th.

Talk this week has suggested the Wanderers will part ways with marquee Federico Piovaccari if the Italian can find a new club, but Nichols says the striker hasn't put a foot wrong in training, despite being left out of last weekend's squad.

"Obviously the boss picks the team and he picks the team he thinks can do a job," he said. "But I can honestly say that last week and this week, at training, Federico has been training as hard as anyone, so not much has changed. I'm sure if it turns around and he gets his chance, he can do the job for us in attack."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers-havent-forgotten-decision-that-denied-them-against-melbourne-city-says-mitch-nichols-20160126-gmehf0.html#ixzz3yQAy8sgl 

I still don't know why everyone is getting up Piovaccari. His last couple of games were fine. **** service, ran his balls off and worked hard. The thing is we could get 10 strikers and we have no idea if anyone of them will fit our team. Yeah he is our Marquee and he is supposed to score goals but I still don't think we have used him the right way, or he is just a wrong fit for the team. He could go to a different A-league team and score 10-15 goals because they play a different way. Imagine if we got Fornaroli as an example, just because he scores at Melbourne City doesn't necessarily mean he will score with us. Out of all the seasons we have been in the league in season 1 Bridge's return of 11 goals I think is still the highest return we have had. So we have never at any point been a really high scoring team, why would it change now.