Western Sydney Public Infrastructure and Development Thread

Both of those towns were heavily reliant on industries like steel. When they left town, both towns suffered accordingly. Fortunately, they both seem to be rebuilding somewhat (and hopefully with less reliance on a single industry).

My partner's family is from Kiama and even the towns surrounding the Gong are heavily reliant on companies such as BHP etc.

Both of those towns were heavily reliant on industries like steel. When they left town, both cities suffered accordingly. Fortunately, they both seem to be rebuilding somewhat (and hopefully with less reliance on a single industry).

My partner's family is from Kiama and even the towns surrounding the Gong are heavily reliant on companies such as BHP etc.

Yeah, similar to the town I am from Middlesbrough which was reliant on steel and petrochemicals. Middlesbrough has finally been getting a bit of redevelopment over the last 5 years or so and new buildings are finally popping up around the old docks area which has been desolate for years.

It takes time certainly when a town is reliant on one industry that hits hard times, but both the Gong and Newcastle need to be able to take some of the pressure off Sydney. They are miles away from being able to do that.

Edited by WSWBoro

Both of those towns were heavily reliant on industries like steel. When they left town, both cities suffered accordingly. Fortunately, they both seem to be rebuilding somewhat (and hopefully with less reliance on a single industry).

Yeah, similar to the town I am from Middlesbrough which was reliant on steel and petrochemicals. Middlesbrough has finally been getting a bit of redevelopment over the last 5 years or so and new buildings are finally popping up around the old docks area which has been desolate for years.

It takes time certainly when a town is reliant on one industry that hits hard times, but both the Gong and Newcastle need to be able to take some of the pressure off Sydney. They are miles away from being able to do that.

I was actually going to relate it back to places like Boro and Sheffield.

Both the Gong and Newcastle are regenerating, younger people are attracted by the cheaper cost of living, but any town is only sustainable providing there are jobs and opportunity for people. This seems to be slowly coming back, but still a very long road. I think you'll see these places become more popular as Sydney becomes more unsustainable for the "average" worker.

Both the Gong and Newcastle are regenerating, younger people are attracted by the cheaper cost of living, but any town is only sustainable providing there are jobs and opportunity for people. This seems to be slowly coming back, but still a very long road. I think you'll see these places become more popular as Sydney becomes more unsustainable for the "average" worker.

But only if the local councils get it right with their development proposals, which I don't think is the case with Newcastle.

But only if the local councils get it right with their development proposals, which I don't think is the case with Newcastle.

True. The Gong probably isn't in a much better position considering the council they had only a few years ago.

The ICAC inquiry prompted the  sacking of the city’s councillors and resulted in the corruption watchdog flagging a possible 139 criminal charges against 11 individuals – including councillors, developers and public servants.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/348843/icac-closes-file-on-wollongong-council/

The council up in Newcastle has been so backward with development, there were some major financial benefactors that were looking to absolutely build the crap out of the place a few years back. met with nothing at the council.

That has changed in the past two years however, not exactly sure why.

True. The Gong probably isn't in a much better position considering the council they had only a few years ago.

The ICAC inquiry prompted the  sacking of the city’s councillors and resulted in the corruption watchdog flagging a possible 139 criminal charges against 11 individuals – including councillors, developers and public servants.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/348843/icac-closes-file-on-wollongong-council/

It's also worth noting that the State Government has powers to take control of the DA process, as was shown in the Cabarita and Breakfast Point developments.

They only use it if the council is stifling a State Gov plan or major precinct plan.