Mental Health Thread 2

mack

Not sure if you've spent much time reading/participating on this thread before AEK?  This is a good place to start to unload if you think it would help... although talking to immediate family, friends or professional people is even better.

:grouphug:

Mack... can you link the previous thread at the start of this thread.... to make it easy to find?? There were some really positive stories and numerous examples of great support/advice from forumites on the first thread.

Reposted to my FB! So good!

Anyway, thought I should update everyone on my progress.. months and months ago I was in a hole.. I tried digging my way out, but in the end I listened to some wise words that has been in my face for over a decade,

“Dig up, stupid!†– Chief Wiggum

Walking into a job where I felt inadequate, unable to meet expectations and continuously feeling that I was under the microscope, left me anxious and leaving the office angry and upset and disinterested in wanting to address the issues. I won’t even start with colleagues.

I always prided myself in being able to work at things and improve, but my mental state wasn’t allowing me to do that.

At home, I was upset; and unfortunately the way I showed this emotion was through anger. Taking it out on people that didn’t deserve it. When I noticed this, I had to change something. And the first thing was to admit to myself was that I had a problem.. a self-esteem problem. A self-esteem problem that was being compounded by elements of my life (work) making it even worse, and as soon as I realised this, the load on my shoulders was significantly reduced.

With this new mental state I was able to think clearer, and was proactive in resolving my issues.

I took a giant leap forward and asked for a transfer and moved to another area within my workplace. I always rolled my eyes when people would take the easy way out and ask to be moved around, rather than earning it – and I guess that view or belief prolonged the torture that I was in for over 18 months.

But, I had to selfish this time, I had to use the ‘stress card’ and I was fortunate enough to have management understand and be proactive about helping me find a more suitable area for me to work (hinsight: they may have been proactive because I was that bad lol).

I was given an oppourtunity within an area where I felt my skills were applicable and have flourished ever since. I wake up wanting to go to work, I don’t mind staying back when needed and I’m happy either side of work.

Physically, I’ve leaned out, gained my muscle back and am looking the best I have in a long time!

If you’re going through anything, admitting something to yourself or someone else is the first step. You’ll actually be surprised how many shackles you’ll break by doing this.

Reposted to my FB! So good!

Anyway, thought I should update everyone on my progress.. months and months ago I was in a hole.. I tried digging my way out, but in the end I listened to some wise words that has been in my face for over a decade,

“Dig up, stupid!†– Chief Wiggum

Walking into a job where I felt inadequate, unable to meet expectations and continuously feeling that I was under the microscope, left me anxious and leaving the office angry and upset and disinterested in wanting to address the issues. I won’t even start with colleagues.

I always prided myself in being able to work at things and improve, but my mental state wasn’t allowing me to do that.

At home, I was upset; and unfortunately the way I showed this emotion was through anger. Taking it out on people that didn’t deserve it. When I noticed this, I had to change something. And the first thing was to admit to myself was that I had a problem.. a self-esteem problem. A self-esteem problem that was being compounded by elements of my life (work) making it even worse, and as soon as I realised this, the load on my shoulders was significantly reduced.

With this new mental state I was able to think clearer, and was proactive in resolving my issues.

I took a giant leap forward and asked for a transfer and moved to another area within my workplace. I always rolled my eyes when people would take the easy way out and ask to be moved around, rather than earning it – and I guess that view or belief prolonged the torture that I was in for over 18 months.

But, I had to selfish this time, I had to use the ‘stress card’ and I was fortunate enough to have management understand and be proactive about helping me find a more suitable area for me to work (hinsight: they may have been proactive because I was that bad lol).

I was given an oppourtunity within an area where I felt my skills were applicable and have flourished ever since. I wake up wanting to go to work, I don’t mind staying back when needed and I’m happy either side of work.

Physically, I’ve leaned out, gained my muscle back and am looking the best I have in a long time!

If you’re going through anything, admitting something to yourself or someone else is the first step. You’ll actually be surprised how many shackles you’ll break by doing this.

It is great that the area you work in is so supportive, unfortunately not all employers are this supportive and many do not respond well to mental health issues and still stigmatise it. Sounds like an employer worth sticking with.

**** **** shiv week

Month maybe

Quarter even

Year

4 years

Self medication

Not ideal

not recommended

Still pretty good but

The highest excellence is like that of water.

I only partly understood that post Marron, but it didn't sound great.

I hope today,  next week, month etc.... things take a turn for the better... :)

Will a Wanderers game today help at all?

Take care!

:grouphug:

One is not defined by their depression.

To say that depression is 'normal' for someone trivalises the issue and one's plight. When someone is depressed, they forget that they have their own distinct personality with dreams, hopes and interests when all that seems ahead is suffering. It should not be accepted as a fact of life if one is continuously depressed, depression is not 'normal' and is not who the person really is. With helpful comments such as 'we've all got problems' and 'just get over it', getting support feels hopeless as it's not seen as an alarming issue because they are sad all of the time anyway.

Edited by BlueYoshi

One is not defined by their depression.

To say that depression is 'normal' for someone trivalises the issue and one's plight. When someone is depressed, they forget that they have their own distinct personality with dreams, hopes and interests when all that seems ahead is suffering. It should not be accepted as a fact of life if one is continuously depressed, depression is not 'normal' and is not who the person really is. With helpful comments such as 'we've all got problems' and 'just get over it', getting support feels hopeless as it's not seen as an alarming issue because they are sad all of the time anyway.

Well said BY :good:

Those sorts of comments (in bold) I wouldn't classify as support or helpful, but I hope on here we try to make this thread what you need it to be & try to give you the most meaningful support possible for whatever trouble or problem anybody is having :)

This year has been pretty shitty for me, issues at home, issues at work and the old black dog making a re appearance. Things took a new low for me a month or so back when my father in law caught me at one of my worst moments and we had a bit of a verbal set to / exchange, not physical but it got pretty loud and a few things that were pent up from a long period all came pouring out.

A real 'old school' Aussie bloke is my father in law with an attitude to all things in life that comes from somewhere in the region of the 1930's. Emotion and mental weakness are certainly not things that would be a real mans concern. Anyhoo I have taken years of his chipping away at me and 'never doing anything right' attitude and I after working so hard (for the sake of my wife) to just get on with it I finally cracked.

Not the best situation to be in really, but it is the way it is. At least since that time I have had a bit more space as in the end he is an in law and should have no impact on how I behave or bring up my son.

Edited by WSWBoro

Sounds like a real tough situation for you to be in & I think it's a pretty natural reaction for it to all blow up after years of trying to play ball with him. I also think his perspective of when he was brought up, will be different to when you were brought up & will be different again when your son grows up. I think that even though you don't agree with him (his methods) at least you understand where he is coming from & why he is saying these things (again you don't have to agree just understand why he is saying these things).

I really hope that you find the best way forward, for yourself, your family & your son. Know that if you ever need us, the WSF/WSW family will be here for you :grouphug:

Sounds like a real tough situation for you to be in & I think it's a pretty natural reaction for it to all blow up after years of trying to play ball with him. I also think his perspective of when he was brought up, will be different to when you were brought up & will be different again when your son grows up. I think that even though you don't agree with him (his methods) at least you understand where he is coming from & why he is saying these things (again you don't have to agree just understand why he is saying these things).

I really hope that you find the best way forward, for yourself, your family & your son. Know that if you ever need us, the WSF/WSW family will be here for you :grouphug:

Yeah well, I know there was a better way of dealing with this, and I have discussed with my wife better ways to deal with it and for her to help me also before all this. But he just caught me at a particularly bad time and my fuse for any bullshit was VERY short, but then that fuse gets shorter as I get older it seems. Anyway, he was around a week ago and we blanked each other, two stubborn bastards really lol And it is my wife that suffers the most of course in that kind of situation as she is in the middle.

Edited by WSWBoro

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I'm reading a book called Strange Places by Will Elliot. Very interesting insight into a mind that moves from nervousness to full blown psychosis.

It's a depiction of the author's own experiences and struggles with mental health.

And it's Australian.

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I'm reading a book called Strange Places by Will Elliot. Very interesting insight into a mind that moves from nervousness to full blown psychosis.

It's a depiction of the author's own experiences and struggles with mental health.

And it's Australian.

Do you have a printed copy, or kindle?

Yeah well, I know there was a better way of dealing with this, and I have discussed with my wife better ways to deal with it and for her to help me also before all this. But he just caught me at a particularly bad time and my fuse for any bullshit was VERY short, but then that fuse gets shorter as I get older it seems. Anyway, he was around a week ago and we blanked each other, two stubborn bastards really lol And it is my wife that suffers the most of course in that kind of situation as she is in the middle.

Forgive me for intruding...but I guess people vent here for a purpose.

It sounds as though maybe you have been able to get to a better understanding with your wife as to how to support you in a difficult situation.... and hopefully that's a positive.

And, maybe you will be the one to show more maturity and flexibility than your father-in-law is capable of showing....and be the first one to extend the olive brand .... for the sake of your wife and son (and for yourself).

These sorts of frosty situations are better off being thawed out if that's possible.... and often with some of these long pent up resentments and frustrations out in the open, relationships can get onto a better, more respectful footing.

I do hope all goes well, Boro!  :grouphug:

And it's Australian.

Do you have a printed copy, or kindle?

Kindle copy. My mate told me about it so I read the sample, liked the writing and bought the full thing.

I was just rereading some of the Vege garden thread... looking for something... and came upon this posted by Poumista

Doesn't surprise me in the least. We are part of the natural world.... but are too separated from it these days.

A very much more scientific and technical article was also posted with this at the time... but wouldn't open when I tried it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200809/natures-bounty-soil-salvation

Consider the earthy pleasures of gardening. You're outdoors. The sun warms your muscles. You're doing something both productive and edifying. And the activity places you back into the natural world, where exercise and relaxation are organically linked.

....But there is an even bigger yield. Call it soil-borne wellness, and here is where science is plowing totally new ground. Researchers are discovering that growing your own food—however much or little you can do—is better for your health than anyone ever suspected. And the nutritional value of what you harvest is almost the least of it. Growing your own food by messing around in your own garden proves to be nature's fruitful way of cultivating your health—physically and psychologically.

The soil is a rich repository of microbes and other organisms with which we've coexisted from the beginning. As science digs deeper into understanding the effects of bacteria on human health, and especially on the immune system, it looks increasingly like ingesting components of the soil itself might be as critical to human health as the very finest fruits and veggies grown in it.

In 2007, University of Colorado neuroscientist Christopher Lowry, then working at Bristol University in England, made a startling discovery. He found that certain strains of soil-borne mycobacteria sharply stimulated the human immune system. The very same bacteria also boosted serotonin levels in the brains of mice.

Mycobacteria are a broad genus of durable and waxy bugs that include many harmless critters and a few nasty pathogens, like M. leprae and M. tuberculosis.  It is most abundant in peat bogs and other earth rich in moist organic matter.

M. vaccae thrives in typical backyard garden environments or anywhere soil is enriched with organic matter. You—yes, you—are exposed to it through inhalation and ingestion of small particles any time you dig outside or eat lettuce plucked from your garden. And that's a good thing.

M. vaccae triggers a complex cascade of neurosignaling, says Lowry, who is trying to decipher the exact mechanism. But in the process, the bacteria stimulate immune cells to raise the threshold for inflammatory processes. Mycobacteria also interact with the nervous system to rev up production of serotonin.