Jump to content
mack

Mental Health Thread 2

Recommended Posts

I'm glad you are seeking medical advice about your health, Goat.

Who has prescribed this for you - your GP or someone more specialised...may I ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

14 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I'm glad you are seeking medical advice about your health, Goat.

Who has prescribed this for you - your GP or someone more specialised...may I ask?

my GP, he gave me a k10 test and i got 86% so ........good score :P i hear what i am taking makes you numb so better than constantly feeling suicidal, i dont actually know the doctor he is pretty new but its only a low dose and in a week i have to go back and tell him how its making me feel, i dont like the idea of meds but when you are feeling so low that anything else is better 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

my GP, he gave me a k10 test and i got 86% so ........good score :P i hear what i am taking makes you numb so better than constantly feeling suicidal, i dont actually know the doctor he is pretty new but its only a low dose and in a week i have to go back and tell him how its making me feel, i dont like the idea of meds but when you are feeling so low that anything else is better 

Can I ask are you also going to be seeing a psychologist? 

I’m no expert but from what I gather a med such as this (a ssri) combined with “talkie” treatment is more effective than either on their own 

hopefully it will give you space for the othe treatments to work

good luck with it 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Can I ask are you also going to be seeing a psychologist? 

I’m no expert but from what I gather a med such as this (a ssri) combined with “talkie” treatment is more effective than either on their own 

hopefully it will give you space for the othe treatments to work

good luck with it 

 

thank you i will be seeing a psychologist i appreciate the support life has seemed so pointless recently i just need something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Can I ask are you also going to be seeing a psychologist? 

I’m no expert but from what I gather a med such as this (a ssri) combined with “talkie” treatment is more effective than either on their own 

hopefully it will give you space for the othe treatments to work

good luck with it 

 

Totally this Goat!

All the best with your new approach...and let us know how you progress with it! :grouphug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wendybr said:

Totally this Goat!

All the best with your new approach...and let us know how you progress with it! :grouphug:

thanks right now not so good i am burning up a lot feels like there is a fire underneath my skin and i cant breathe cause the feeling on my skin is giving me a panic attack, hopefully it calms down soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/03/2019 at 4:40 PM, wendybr said:

Totally this Goat!

All the best with your new approach...and let us know how you progress with it! :grouphug:

Hi Goat, I echo Wendy’s sentiments here. There are many different approaches tackling mental health issues & you’ve taken one of them. Everyone may not agree but it’s a path I’ve gone down myself.

A good GP is a big help, it’s great you’ve found someone you trust. A psychologist to help give you strategies & help talk through issues as they rise. 

You’ve got to give yourself a lot of credit, you have reached out to all the right people & trying all that you can to be better. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this from yourself in the past, so it’s a big step forward for you. Now just got to build on it moving forward, step by step.

The one thing I’d say is that it may take some time for the medication not just to work but find out whether you can tolerate the side effects & whether it is right for you. It may take some time but persevere, it’s worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Hi Goat, I echo Wendy’s sentiments here. There are many different approaches tackling mental health issues & you’ve taken one of them. Everyone may not agree but it’s a path I’ve gone down myself.

A good GP is a big help, it’s great you’ve found someone you trust. A psychologist to help give you strategies & help talk through issues as they rise. 

You’ve got to give yourself a lot of credit, you have reached out to all the right people & trying all that you can to be better. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this from yourself in the past, so it’s a big step forward for you. Now just got to build on it moving forward, step by step.

The one thing I’d say is that it may take some time for the medication not just to work but find out whether you can tolerate the side effects & whether it is right for you. It may take some time but persevere, it’s worth it.

thank you lucky while i did have that side effect today there was no panic attack or dry heaving so it was a lot better, the more i take it the lesser the side effects so far, i appreciate the support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I haven’t been around WSF much lately but if you ever need to reach out Goat you know how to get in touch.

I can relate to things Goat, things haven’t been smooth sailing. Things have been quite good since my last infusion/hospital admission last July but things have started to take a turn.

I have just started a new Migraine specific drug in a class called CGRP inhibitors. Very interesting stuff & would recommend for anyone suffering more than 15 days a month of migraine. It’s really promising.

Anyway, all started to go to **** when a groin strain last year (which went away but reappeared &) has turned into a Tendinopathy with no underlying cause :rolleyes: I tell you, since I turned 30 has been bloody injury after injury. Can’t catch a break!

Have really had to pull back on my exercise & this has impacted my mood. Then to add on top, my nerve blocks last time didn’t work that well & the Cervicogenic aspect of my chronic migraines has flared up for 2 straight weeks.

Oh well, what can you do :unknw:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

thank you lucky while i did have that side effect today there was no panic attack or dry heaving so it was a lot better, the more i take it the lesser the side effects so far, i appreciate the support

That’s a really good sign

it sounds like you are already getting some benefits which is awesome, generally it takes a few weeks to really take effect  

if it removes the panic attacks etc that will give you space for the “talkie” treatments to work longer term 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I know I haven’t been around WSF much lately but if you ever need to reach out Goat you know how to get in touch.

I can relate to things Goat, things haven’t been smooth sailing. Things have been quite good since my last infusion/hospital admission last July but things have started to take a turn.

I have just started a new Migraine specific drug in a class called CGRP inhibitors. Very interesting stuff & would recommend for anyone suffering more than 15 days a month of migraine. It’s really promising.

Anyway, all started to go to **** when a groin strain last year (which went away but reappeared &) has turned into a Tendinopathy with no underlying cause :rolleyes: I tell you, since I turned 30 has been bloody injury after injury. Can’t catch a break!

Have really had to pull back on my exercise & this has impacted my mood. Then to add on top, my nerve blocks last time didn’t work that well & the Cervicogenic aspect of my chronic migraines has flared up for 2 straight weeks.

Oh well, what can you do :unknw:

:grouphug::grouphug: 

Someone like you deserves much better from life Prydz. Hopefully you'll enjoy life more consistently when your health issues are finally sorted out...which I hope happens sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope you are feeling better Prydz, i have been feeling sick too but nothing like that, i am glad about the new drug though i am sorry you are going through so much **** though, last night i had a auditory hallucination i believe it sounded like someone had a loudspeaker in the distance and playing a sample of someone yelling one loud HA at random intervals at 4 am.........still not sure if it actually happened or not but i cant imagine why that would be something someone does so i think it was just my imagination

thank you stringer i hope so i am looking at seeing 2 therapists right now, looking at getting the dsp but that is unlikely but getting paperwork ready on the off chance, i know seeing 2 therapists seems excessive but when suicidal thoughts have come back with such a vengeance i am not taking any chances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neverbloom (stop changing your user name ffs - lol) and Prydz, my heart goes out to you guys and I sincerely hope that things can improve for you both.

I'm going through some stuff atm (and have been for a long time now) that truly gets me down. Even though I have my own issues on various fronts (which I try and stay strong and deal with), it's more the suffering I'm seeing of those that are very, very close to me that is getting me down even further. Hence, it effects my mental wellbeing as well and drags me down even further.

I hate going to bed at 10-11.00 pm, and laying there till 4-5.00 am not being able to sleep, just listening to stupid talkback radio, and then having to get up at 6.00 am to go to work. It sometimes eventually catches up and I get a decent night's sleep but it's never enough. Living on my own doesn't help.

Anyway, I've got through years of this ****. I'll get through more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Neverbloom (stop changing your user name ffs - lol) and Prydz, my heart goes out to you guys and I sincerely hope that things can improve for you both.

I'm going through some stuff atm (and have been for a long time now) that truly gets me down. Even though I have my own issues on various fronts (which I try and stay strong and deal with), it's more the suffering I'm seeing of those that are very, very close to me that is getting me down even further. Hence, it effects my mental wellbeing as well and drags me down even further.

I hate going to bed at 10-11.00 pm, and laying there till 4-5.00 am not being able to sleep, just listening to stupid talkback radio, and then having to get up at 6.00 am to go to work. It sometimes eventually catches up and I get a decent night's sleep but it's never enough. Living on my own doesn't help.

Anyway, I've got through years of this ****. I'll get through more. 

:grouphug::grouphug:

Have you tried Melatonin, WB? (not sure if discussed here before, but I'm pretty sure it has been).

Not the stuff available in the Health food ranges in the chemists, but prescribed by your GP and made up by a compounding chemist.

I've heard pretty good reports on it....from 2 GPs and have heard nothing negative (not that that counts for anything)

But it might be worth asking your GP about.

 

PS Forget about what Goat wants to call himself - there's no way I'm calling him Neverbloom! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I know I haven’t been around WSF much lately but if you ever need to reach out Goat you know how to get in touch.

I can relate to things Goat, things haven’t been smooth sailing. Things have been quite good since my last infusion/hospital admission last July but things have started to take a turn.

I have just started a new Migraine specific drug in a class called CGRP inhibitors. Very interesting stuff & would recommend for anyone suffering more than 15 days a month of migraine. It’s really promising.

Anyway, all started to go to **** when a groin strain last year (which went away but reappeared &) has turned into a Tendinopathy with no underlying cause :rolleyes: I tell you, since I turned 30 has been bloody injury after injury. Can’t catch a break!

Have really had to pull back on my exercise & this has impacted my mood. Then to add on top, my nerve blocks last time didn’t work that well & the Cervicogenic aspect of my chronic migraines has flared up for 2 straight weeks.

Oh well, what can you do :unknw:

:grouphug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Neverbloom (stop changing your user name ffs - lol) and Prydz, my heart goes out to you guys and I sincerely hope that things can improve for you both.

I'm going through some stuff atm (and have been for a long time now) that truly gets me down. Even though I have my own issues on various fronts (which I try and stay strong and deal with), it's more the suffering I'm seeing of those that are very, very close to me that is getting me down even further. Hence, it effects my mental wellbeing as well and drags me down even further.

I hate going to bed at 10-11.00 pm, and laying there till 4-5.00 am not being able to sleep, just listening to stupid talkback radio, and then having to get up at 6.00 am to go to work. It sometimes eventually catches up and I get a decent night's sleep but it's never enough. Living on my own doesn't help.

Anyway, I've got through years of this ****. I'll get through more. 

:grouphug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had some issues that I wasn't even aware of that came to a head with anxiety/panic attacks just before Xmas in 2017, seemingly triggered by the decision to retire. I went to the doc and got some treatment, medication and talking, and all became under control with the odd less comfortable occasions. Talking ended early with the option for more. Medication stopped just before last Xmas when I felt on top of the world, as I had for months. I retired at the same time. Subsequently there were a few challenging days and moments when my anxiety threatened to return. I now feel back on top of the world, with rare and brief depressing thoughts. But obviously, I remember my earlier struggles. Coincidentally, I have been participating in a research programme which included a series on mental illness. That has helped me deal with the ocasional doubts as they crop up.

Up until December 2017, I thought I was immune to mental health issues! I now know differently.

I've nattered on a bit, and some of this I've iterated before, but ......

My problems are/were a mere mild blip compared to those suffered by Goat, Prydz, Wanderboy and others. 

I takes me hat off to each and everyone of you as you cope, or even don't cope, and deal with your respective issues. You should each be proud (if that's the right word) of your achievements. "Hang in there" he says, and it's so easy to say, but I mean much more than that - keep going and doing what you're doing and hopefully more, and beat the bastard!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think many of you underplay your own difficulties & challenges. They present there own set of circumstances in a different context, you should all be proud of the way that you’ve rolled with the punches & looked to move forward. It’s sometimes hard to give yourself credit & a pat on the back when things are bleak, in what seems a hole you just can’t get yourself out. Sending much love & good vibes to you all :grouphug:

18 hours ago, wendybr said:

Have you tried Melatonin, WB? (not sure if discussed here before, but I'm pretty sure it has been).

Have tried it numerous times & works well, just keep in mind that it is short lasting (3 months but I’ve got it out to 9 months at times). It’s a chemical that is naturally produced in your body, telling it to go sleep & regulates your body’s circadian rhythms. Helps you not only get to sleep but stay asleep too. Can’t hurt to give it a crack.

Yes, GP needs to write a script for it.

18 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I'm going through some stuff atm (and have been for a long time now) that truly gets me down.

Apologies I haven’t been in touch, know you’ve been doing it tough. Heart goes out to you my friend, if you’re ever in need of rant or a bevy get in touch :grouphug: 

18 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i hope you are feeling better Prydz,

Appreciate it the mighty goat :grouphug: 

19 hours ago, wendybr said:

Hopefully you'll enjoy life more consistently when your health issues are finally sorted out...which I hope happens sooner rather than later.

Appreciate it Wendy, I deal with some stuff but don’t we all? I try not to dwell on things too much, I’ve got a lot going for me & ive very lucky in many ways. Lots of people worse off than me & got lots of people in my life that bring joy & lots of things that can bring the happiness/outlet we all need. I try not to think of pre-headache luke but I’m heading in that direction, just going very slowly.

Love you guys :grouphug: Never feel like you can’t reach out for help, our little WSF community are always here for you guys :grouphug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Have tried it numerous times & works well, just keep in mind that it is short lasting (3 months but I’ve got it out to 9 months at times). It’s a chemical that is naturally produced in your body, telling it to go sleep & regulates your body’s circadian rhythms. Helps you not only get to sleep but stay asleep too. Can’t hurt to give it a crack.

Yes, GP needs to write a script for it

I hadn't heard that it's effectiveness is short term...but you'd know better than I do, Prydz.

What  I do know is that there are 2 types - one with a quicker onset (of drowsiness) and one that operates more slowly.

And I have heard (as you experienced) that users sleep more deeply, stay asleep with fewer wakeful periods, and that they wake up more refreshed (which makes perfect sense)

Hope you get professional advice re the sleep, WB...and that something like this does help!

Life's challenges look a bit less insurmountable on a good night's sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/03/2019 at 6:04 PM, FCB said:

@Cynth

Here is some interesting reading for you to cheer you up https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/02/new-book-deconstructs-ideology-of-cognitive-therapy/

 

To cheer me up? Do I need cheering up? Lol.

FCB, I have been supervising young psychologists for many many years now and I can tell you that I have never taught or encouraged CBT as a wholistic therapy. It is a tool and for some issues, it can be a wonderful one when delivered in the safety of a good therapeutic relationship. So the characterising of CBT as the only tool of psychology is wrong and narrow. 

Its true that the government has embraced CBT due to its evidence base as something they will fund but it is not correct to suggest that psychologists of any decent calibre are using pure manualiised treatments in their work. 

Attacking psychology as a whole based on one part of their intervention base is narrow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

To cheer me up? Do I need cheering up? Lol.

FCB, I have been supervising young psychologists for many many years now and I can tell you that I have never taught or encouraged CBT as a wholistic therapy. It is a tool and for some issues, it can be a wonderful one when delivered in the safety of a good therapeutic relationship. So the characterising of CBT as the only tool of psychology is wrong and narrow. 

Its true that the government has embraced CBT due to its evidence base as something they will fund but it is not correct to suggest that psychologists of any decent calibre are using pure manualiised treatments in their work. 

Attacking psychology as a whole based on one part of their intervention base is narrow. 

 

I new you'd enjoy it :-).

The author does not attack psychology because of CBT. He debunks CBT as an ideology. Psychology sooner of later will have to ask itself how it ended up in bed with CBT, and if it is in the best interests of patients to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FCB said:

I new you'd enjoy it :-).

The author does not attack psychology because of CBT. He debunks CBT as an ideology. Psychology sooner of later will have to ask itself how it ended up in bed with CBT, and if it is in the best interests of patients to do so.

Im happy to be in bed with CBT as long as systemic theory, attachment theory, neurobiology, and others join us too. 

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Im happy to be in bed with CBT as long as systemic theory, attachment theory, neurobiology, and others join us too. 

:D

Hahaha. As long as you are lying in bed with the B in between the C and T you are probably following a cult :-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×