Mental Health Thread 2

mack

Haha...PUN thread for you RWB!

But yes.. it's interesting and does make sense. We've largely removed ourselves from the environment we've evolved in, haven't we?

Bit of (temporary) dirt under the fingernails never hurt anyone. Being out with plants and nature = good for the body and good for the soul.... oh well... mind.

:)  :)

Just had a restless night ruminating and dwelling, went to sleep around 12ish, woke up around 1:30 and watched the clock tick past 2, 3, 4........ go read a book.... just get frustrated, put some music in my ears, doesn't sooth. One of those nights when it feels like your brain is stuck in a very deep record groove and on repeat and nothing wants to budge it. Had so many of these over the years, feels like you are climbing the walls of the house.

You see depression leads me to dwell on mistakes, but you know everyone makes them from time to time, it is how we learn and so on.......... But that doesn't stop me beating myself up over and over and obsessing to the point where it has probably been blown out of all proportion. I know that, but it doesn't stop.

Felt really disconnected to everything that was going down regarding the police thing yesterday and everything in general, including family. Anyway I have some time off next week and going away for a few days out of the city ...... I need it badly.  :(

Stupid ***** brain I have.

Edited by WSWBoro

Just had a restless night ruminating and dwelling, went to sleep around 12ish, woke up around 1:30 and watched the clock tick past 2, 3, 4........ go read a book.... just get frustrated, put some music in my ears, doesn't sooth. One of those nights when it feels like your brain is stuck in a very deep record groove and on repeat and nothing wants to budge it. Had so many of these over the years, feels like you are climbing the walls of the house.

You see depression leads me to dwell on mistakes, but you know everyone makes them from time to time, it is how we learn and so on.......... But that doesn't stop me beating myself up over and over and obsessing to the point where it has probably been blown out of all proportion. I know that, but it doesn't stop.

Felt really disconnected to everything that was going down regarding the police thing yesterday and everything in general, including family. Anyway I have some time off next week and going away for a few days out of the city ...... I need it badly.  :(

Hang in there big fella! :) Work can be changed, family is 4ever.....which can be great ,but sometimes...... you know what I mean! :lol: Getting away for a few days for a recharge is good , wish I could! We all make mistakes n will keep on making them , it's just the way life is. What's that old saying about "looking at the past , learning from it, then moving on"? The police thing will be sorted out , family is always a PITA! , but wife n kids are your team! work , meh , start planning what you want to do then go for it n ditch the current job.

Don't know if that helped any, but anytime you want to meet up , here or in the real world :ninja: , me n heaps of others are here dude!!!! :D

Hey Boro

Hope you eventually got some sleep... and have found a bit of peace of mind.

I know some people scorn these sorts of inspirational quotes.... I never would.

Some catch the mind and can take seed there to help with issues we all have to work on.

The first are on letting go of mistakes..

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/mistakes

“Don't confuse poor decision-making with destiny. Own your mistakes. It’s ok; we all make them. Learn from them so they can empower you!†
― Steve MaraboliLife, the Truth, and Being Free

“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.†
― Mahatma Gandhi

“Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.†
― Salvador Dalí

“Well, we all make mistakes, dear, so just put it behind you. We should regret our mistakes and learn from them, but never carry them forward into the future with us.†
― L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Avonlea

“We learn from failure, not from success!†

― Bram StokerDracula

“Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.†

“We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in one's past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future.†
― Steve MaraboliUnapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience

The second are more generally on letting go.... less relevant, but a few might apply.

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/letting-go

“The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.†
― Steve MaraboliUnapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience

“You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.†

― C. JoyBell C.

“Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don't.†
― Steve MaraboliLife, the Truth, and Being Free

“Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over.†

― Nicole SobonProgram 13

“Renew, release, let go. Yesterday’s gone. There’s nothing you can do to bring it back. You can’t “should’ve†done something. You can only DO something. Renew yourself. Release that attachment. Today is a new day!†

“Even on my weakest days
I get a little bit stronger†
― Sara Evans

Sometimes even just in skimming through these, it helps to realise that we all have these experiences.......and that's OK.

:grouphug:

Felt really disconnected to everything that was going down regarding the police thing yesterday and everything in general, including family. Anyway I have some time off next week and going away for a few days out of the city ...... I need it badly. :(

Hey Boro,

You don't have a stupid brain, ruminating at night on things is really, really common, heaps of people do it. Things just seem worse at night. Hey I'm a psychologist and I had a restless night last night too. (Too much hype with this police thing and then my brain travels to other little worries that I can do absolutely nothing about). Put simply, when we go to bed with our brain still buzzing a bit, our brain will try to process stuff, like its day time. Best I can say is a couple of strategies I give people at work. 1) try to make sure you wind down properly before bed. 2) ( and now this is odd) keep a pad of paper near your bed and make a note of your worries or things that pop up and plan to worry about it at some specific time the next day. We call it a worry list, works for some. Things don't seem as bad during the day. 3) Wendy is right, we all make mistakes, we could all reflect on things we said or did that make us feel bad about ourselves. Maybe try to look at it from a more balanced point of view rather than a self-defeating one.

I wish you all the best. :-)

PS there's always help out there for Depression.

Edited by Cynth

^^^ The note pad is a really good idea... which I've sometimes used when I've been stressed about something.  

The physical act of scrawling a note (in the dark even)... if you're worried about forgetting something important... or going around in circles....seems to lift the burden somewhat.

Knowing that you will address the issue at a specific time the next day shifts the worry out of the present moment, which helps.

Do you have ideas about letting go, Cynth.... by means of physical symbols... like writing the problem or thought on paper.... then ripping up the paper and disposing of it etc.

I've heard of it, but not ever done it.  Is that sort of symbolic physical gesture helpful for some???

Feeling a bit more relaxed yet, Boro??   Hope so! 

Yeah, better than last night, although dreading work Monday................ but on leave after that.

I could write a hell of a lot here regarding mental health and my experiences but not totally comfortable doing so. I struggle.... and I really mean struggle with day to day life and have done for many years.Keeping on going grinds you down, it drains you and those close to you and sometimes there isn't much left, it is bloody hard.... but keep on going we must.

Feeling a bit more relaxed yet, Boro??   Hope so! 

Yeah, better than last night, although dreading work Monday................ but on leave after that.

I could write a hell of a lot here regarding mental health and my experiences but not totally comfortable doing so. I struggle.... and I really mean struggle with day to day life and have done for many years.Keeping on going grinds you down, it drains you and those close to you and sometimes there isn't much left, it is bloody hard.... but keep on going we must.

I'm not sure if you realise this, but you posting how you feel on here would be a great benefit to many/perhaps all of us on here. Just knowing that others are struggling themselves can be hugely beneficial. It's why I love facilitating groups so much. The notion of shared understanding can be wonderful for those who think they are alone. Which you should know that you are not

Edited by Alexander

Where do you do what you do Alexander??  And what groups do you work with.... may I ask?

I work in a private hospital mental health ward - I shouldn't really say online for the sake of client confidentiality. I've also worked at an organisation where ex prisoners are granted early parole as long as they commit to one on one and group therapy. 

I do all types of groups. For example, self-esteem, anxiety, grief and loss, etc.

Edited by Alexander

Where do you do what you do Alexander??  And what groups do you work with.... may I ask?

I work in a private hospital mental health ward - I shouldn't really say online for the sake of client confidentiality. I've also worked at an organisation where ex prisoners are granted early parole as long as they commit to one on one and group therapy. 

I do all types of groups. For example, self-esteem, anxiety, grief and loss, etc.

Thanks Alexander.... certainly wouldn't ask you to be specific at all.

That would be a very worthwhile and meaningful type of work to be involved in.

We're lucky  that we have you here to sometimes make suggestions!

Where do you do what you do Alexander?? And what groups do you work with.... may I ask?

Thanks Alexander.... certainly wouldn't ask you to be specific at all.

That would be a very worthwhile and meaningful type of work to be involved in.

We're lucky that we have you here to sometimes make suggestions!

I love it. Can be a tough gig, but very worth it

I'm only a PM away if needed

Edited by Alexander

Yes, great that we can have professionals like Cynth & Alexander who have a working background in these areas to offer help where possible. We are so lucky to have a supportive community on here :grouphug:

Yes Alexander, I'd avoid using anything place specific in regards to where you work but what you've told us is more than enough to be helpful.

Boro just wanted to say you are not alone mate.

Reading your last couple of posts, I recognized a lot.

I'm fortunate in that I have the sleep issue quite rarely. Some days I live for sleep so I can stop thinking... I sit and read till my eyes close and think thank **** as I drift off and switch off. But sometimes, I'm right there with you. Had some scary moments just a few weeks ago where some paranoia gripped me really hard.

But the disconnect thing is a constant batttle... feeling I'm outside of life on autopilot struggling through day to day. Sometimes weeks or even months go by like that.

It's possibly a bit wanky so I'm reluctant to share :lol: but something that has helped has bbeen reading the tao, the ancient philosophy... I'm not a spiritual person in the slightest :lol: let alone a religious one but a lot of it sits right with me. Helps on a number of levels. To accept things and see a bigger picture. A lot of energy has gone into trying to "fix" things. But accepting myself for what i am is another way perhaps. That's potentially dangerous... but only if you look at it like giving up, and it's far from that. But more than that... just seeing yourself as a natural part of life... that it doesn't have to be a struggle or a battle you know.

Anyway :lol: probably doesn't suit everyone. But it matches up with a lot of me. Good for the nature lovers as well, Wendy talking about the dirt and garden, sits right.

There's a million and one translations and iinterpretations. When things are shitty I've found myself just reading a new one.

Here's a couple of sstraightforward ones.

http://acc6.its.brooklyn.cuny.edu/~phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html

http://terebess.hu/english/tao/ron.html

second one is pretty good :lol:

" "Doing the right thing" is like water;

water is good for all living things.

It flows without thinking about where it's going

...just like Tao.

Keep your feet on the ground.

Remember what's important.

Be there when people need you.

Say what you mean.

Be prepared for anything.

Do as much as you can, whenever it needs doing.

If you don't compare yourself to others,

nobody can compare to you.

If you drink too much, you get drunk.

The engine won't start if you're always tinkering with it.

If you hoard wealth,

you fall into its clutches.

If you crave success,

you succumb to failure.

Do what you have to do, then walk away.

Anything else will drive you nuts."

Encountered this quote in a shop today.

"Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, makes you grow or makes you happy"

..and went to see if I could capture it word for word.... which then led me to this

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/self-respect

Some lovely words of wisdom here.

...just like Tao.

Say what you mean.

If you hoard wealth,

If you crave success,

you succumb to failure.

What I have highlighted in text above could apply to Sydney in general. Sydney it a hateful, selfish, spiteful and greed driven place. Neighbours don't know each other  and nor do they care about each other. General conversation is about trying to one up on property ownership or some other such money issue. I loved Sydney when I first arrived 15 or so years ago, for me now the only good thing is WSW and it's supporters.

@WSWBoro

I've been here for 20 years, and Sydney sure has changed a lot.

A friend if mine considers Adelaide, Brisbane, and Perth Australian towns, Melbourne a European city, and Sydney as US American city. Maybe not as fast and shallow as many cities in Yanksville but we seem to be getting there more and more.

In Sydney CBD people seem to rush and hurry, while in Melbourne people still seem to have the time to walk.

As you say, the WSW community helps a lot.

...just like Tao.

Say what you mean.

If you hoard wealth,

If you crave success,

you succumb to failure.

What I have highlighted in text above could apply to Sydney in general. Sydney it a hateful, selfish, spiteful and greed driven place. Neighbours don't know each other and nor do they care about each other. General conversation is about trying to one up on property ownership or some other such money issue. I loved Sydney when I first arrived 15 or so years ago, for me now the only good thing is WSW and it's supporters.

It's modern life.

It's not a good way for humans to live.

We need community and thrive on it.

But modern life doesn't allow us to create it properly.

We fool ourselves a lot of the time into thinking we have it, but yeah, standing around at a kids birthday party talking to people you won't see again about house prices is not it is it.