mack

Mental Health Thread 2

feeling better recently but on other news

National January 30, 2020 2:43 pm AEDT

Beyond Blue welcomes Commonwealth suicide prevention funding

Beyond Blue has welcomed the Commonwealth’s $64 million investment in suicide prevention, including $7 million over two years towards suicide aftercare and the expansion of The Way Back Support Service.

The Way Back supports people after they’ve been discharged from hospital following a suicidal crisis.

Originally developed by Beyond Blue, The Way Back is delivered in partnership with Primary Health Networks, referring hospitals and local service providers.

Since its rollout began in 2014, more than 3600 people have been referred across nine Way Back sites around the Northern Territory, NSW, ACT, Queensland and Victoria.

Trained coordinators work with people to develop a personalised safety plan, link them to appropriate health and community supports and connect them with clinical care as required.

Beyond Blue Chair The Hon Julia Gillard AC commended the Commonwealth’s early response to Christine Morgan’s first report to the Prime Minister on a refreshed approach to suicide prevention that truly listens and responds to people’s needs and experiences.

“People who have previously attempted suicide are especially vulnerable to further attempts so it’s vital we offer immediate, empathetic support after they’ve left hospital, ensuring that support reflects their realities and the environment in which they live,” Ms Gillard said.

“We look forward to partnering with the Commonwealth, States and Territories, PHNs and service providers in expanding The Way Back nationally over the coming years.”

Beyond Blue CEO Georgie Harman said The Way Back, which supports people for three months after a suicide attempt, was helping people in suicidal crisis feel less distressed.

“Early research suggests The Way Back is making a difference to people during this critical time by sitting alongside them, guiding them towards the right support and empowering them to stay safe,” Ms Harman said.

“People who have used the service are telling us it’s helped to ease their distress, feel more connected and more in control of the major life issues that contributed to their suicide attempt,

“It gives people practical life support as well as connecting them to services. This is important because suicide can be as much about major life stresses, for example, those relating to housing, poverty, financial and relationship pressures, as it can be about mental health challenges,

“We look forward to seeing the initial advice from National Suicide Prevention Adviser Christine Morgan and offering further input on this important subject.”

Mental health professionals are available on the Beyond Blue Support Service via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat (3PM – 12AM AEST or email responses within 24 hours).

https://www.miragenews.com/beyond-blue-welcomes-commonwealth-suicide-prevention-funding/

On 30/01/2020 at 4:27 PM, Prydzopolis said:

Good news goat :good:

thank you

hope you are doing better

7 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

This link lists/mentions the different Mens Walk and Talk groups and other options

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2504292139827327&id=2052524438337435

i must admit i forgot to check out this, i will do it right now, much easier to check out and attend when i am healthy rather than unhealthy thank you

1 hour ago, GlobalWarning said:

hope you are doing better

Thanks Goat, it’s been a tough little period but a day a at time :) 

6 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Thanks Goat, it’s been a tough little period but a day a at time :) 

i know you are not one of those kinds but if you ever need to chat i am happy to listen, this is not common for me but i am actually in a mood where i want to help people :P i want this to be me all the time though, easier to better myself when i am healthier

On 02/02/2020 at 9:03 PM, GlobalWarning said:

i know you are not one of those kinds but if you ever need to chat i am happy to listen, this is not common for me but i am actually in a mood where i want to help people :P i want this to be me all the time though, easier to better myself when i am healthier

Appreciate it goat, you are a good man :good: 

Saw this & thought of you & your mates @hawks2767

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/national-commissioner-to-investigate-defence-and-veteran-suicide/11931176 - Prime Minister Scott Morrison announces national commissioner for defence and veteran suicides

I remember you telling us a while back it was a big problem, glad something is being done about it!

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Saw this & thought of you & your mates @hawks2767

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-05/national-commissioner-to-investigate-defence-and-veteran-suicide/11931176 - Prime Minister Scott Morrison announces national commissioner for defence and veteran suicides

I remember you telling us a while back it was a big problem, glad something is being done about it!

was about to post this, very sad to see, i cant even imagine what being in a war would do to your mental health

I knew of the guy in that article Dave Finney but never knew him personally, if you want then I'd recommend reading his Facebook page 'road trip to recovery' and you can see his spiral.

Really sad story.

Long overdue though, a lot of people did a good thing by joining up and were failed by the system, which still isn't perfect.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-13/middle-aged-men-dying-too-soon-suicide-we-can-learn-from-history/11958284

Middle-aged men make up the largest age-specific increase in suicides, but we can learn from history

On 13/02/2020 at 3:43 PM, Prydzopolis said:

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-13/middle-aged-men-dying-too-soon-suicide-we-can-learn-from-history/11958284

Middle-aged men make up the largest age-specific increase in suicides, but we can learn from history

sadly loss of purpose is a huge reason for suicide but also break up's of marriages and such, loss of kids ect so many reasons.

on myself(i talk about me a lot), i am on a weird sleeping pattern which is fine mostly but had 2 nights without power where i just sat in a dark room doing nothing........was not fun but i didnt let my thoughts get to me as much as i thought it would though it did get pretty depressing at times, recently i have been thinking about the wanderers and passion, i dont know what makes someone a true wanderers fan but apart from the last derby i have not felt much for the wanderers for a while, i assumed it was because we were losing for years but even when we won the first 3 matches i didnt feel much and it makes me question if i actually am a wanderers fan, i dunno passion is not something i feel often

15 hours ago, GlobalWarning said:

i dont know what makes someone a true wanderers fan but apart from the last derby i have not felt much for the wanderers for a while, i assumed it was because we were losing for years but even when we won the first 3 matches i didnt feel much and it makes me question if i actually am a wanderers fan, i dunno passion is not something i feel often

This I feel has more to do with where the club is at in terms of footballing side.

We are a very average side, we have spent the fifth most of all clubs but playing as if we are wooden spoon contenders. We are not competing for the majority of matches & there appears to be issues with the coach & players. It is not fun being a Wanderers fan right now, you’ll find that you are not alone. Not just from a Wanderers point of view but from a league perspective too across many different teams. I don’t think it’s passion is the issue but a league wide lull which us Wanderers are in too.

Just remember, we all show passion in different ways, just because you show it differently to others, doesn’t make you any less passionate.

15 hours ago, GlobalWarning said:

weird sleeping pattern which is fine mostly but had 2 nights without power where i just sat in a dark room doing nothing........was not fun but i didnt let my thoughts get to me as much as i thought it would

Just remember weird sleeping patterns will most likely have a negative effect on you, especially on your mood, energy levels etc. One positive is that it showed that you are resilient, something that might not have happened a little while ago when you were going through a bad patch. Progress, some at least, :good: 

On 21/02/2020 at 4:54 PM, Prydzopolis said:

This I feel has more to do with where the club is at in terms of footballing side.

We are a very average side, we have spent the fifth most of all clubs but playing as if we are wooden spoon contenders. We are not competing for the majority of matches & there appears to be issues with the coach & players. It is not fun being a Wanderers fan right now, you’ll find that you are not alone. Not just from a Wanderers point of view but from a league perspective too across many different teams. I don’t think it’s passion is the issue but a league wide lull which us Wanderers are in too.

Just remember, we all show passion in different ways, just because you show it differently to others, doesn’t make you any less passionate.

Just remember weird sleeping patterns will most likely have a negative effect on you, especially on your mood, energy levels etc. One positive is that it showed that you are resilient, something that might not have happened a little while ago when you were going through a bad patch. Progress, some at least, :good: 

honestly i should be passionate no matter how we are doing, being not passionate because we suck is not a good excuse especially because i am usually pretty loyal(i mean i do **** up from time to time but usually that is my positive) that said i did feel a tiny bit during the Adelaide match but its not anything like it once was, i do wonder what my passion level's would be if we were winning anything i would hope similar to now because passion should not be based off results, thank you i know my sleep needs to be better, i go through phases on that but i am not too unhappy on my sleeping pattern however i agree it has affected my energy level's and thank you losing the power was a nightmare but its something people have to deal with.

i have come to the realisation that i complain too much about my financial situation and of course i would love it to be better but i have a playstation 4, a decent computer, foxtel, a number of television sets which are pretty good, i can go from time to time(to the movies for example), i got a wanderers membership, so while i am not rich by any mean's and not well off and in the past it was so bad that we didnt even have the fuel money to drive 15 minutes sometimes so in the past it was far worse than it is, i have been too focused on this when its not nearly as much of an issue as i feel it is, sometimes a new perspective can be very helpful when it comes to these things.

its funny in the past my entire depression was about the fact i couldnt get a girlfriend and looking back i cant think of a more ridiculous reason for depression :P i used to only think about that and then i would dwell on past relationships that didnt work out, and while i still think about that kinda stuff from time to time its not a common thing for me to feel down about, so while i got a tonne of work to do to improve at least my priorities are much better and i focus on things i cannot change a lot more, plus my friend who came back from holidays is back so at least that is a huge positive for me.

how are you doing right now?

:good: to all of that Goat.

Like Prydz, I see much progress in your attitudes these days!

Re passion, that's  hard, or almost impossible these days, although the Adelaide game gives reason for hope that it might return.

Loyalty is what's needed in times like we've experienced in the past few seasons, and most of us would have sometimes questioned that. But hey, we're still members, and we still care...so we're doing alright.

The intensity and passion of those early seasons was extraordinary and unexpected. I don't expect to feel quite that way again.

It was a gift, that's nice to have  experienced and to look back on. :xnod:

16 hours ago, GlobalWarning said:

how are you doing right now?

I can’t complain Goat, I’ve been better but things are getting back on track after my hospital stay. I must admit it’s been a struggle & May need a different approach medication wise.

My main concern is my close family member going through late stage cancer. Just finished 5 months of chemo & about to start 3 months of radiation for every day. That’s pretty stressful, definitely puts things in perspective when you don’t know how long you’ve got.

I will respond to what you said above a little later. Some really good observations from you, I can see a change in mindset for you which shows progression again. As Wendy said, it’s hard to show passion at a time like this when the football club is a shambles. I think loyalty is a form of passion, it’s not like you’ve been buying Sydney FC gear & secretly cheering for them :lol:

10 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I can’t complain Goat, I’ve been better but things are getting back on track after my hospital stay. I must admit it’s been a struggle & May need a different approach medication wise.

My main concern is my close family member going through late stage cancer. Just finished 5 months of chemo & about to start 3 months of radiation for every day. That’s pretty stressful, definitely puts things in perspective when you don’t know how long you’ve got.

:grouphug:

On 24/02/2020 at 7:08 AM, wendybr said:

:good: to all of that Goat.

Like Prydz, I see much progress in your attitudes these days!

Re passion, that's  hard, or almost impossible these days, although the Adelaide game gives reason for hope that it might return.

Loyalty is what's needed in times like we've experienced in the past few seasons, and most of us would have sometimes questioned that. But hey, we're still members, and we still care...so we're doing alright.

The intensity and passion of those early seasons was extraordinary and unexpected. I don't expect to feel quite that way again.

It was a gift, that's nice to have  experienced and to look back on. :xnod:

thank you, i think in some ways i have matured quite a bit...........in other ways not so much :P and that is true thank you i dont think season 1 will ever be repeated i just was kinda hoping i would feel more than i did, passion is something i can feel sometimes about specific things but usually i dont feel that much, i agree it was a hell of a gift

19 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I will respond to what you said above a little later. Some really good observations from you, I can see a change in mindset for you which shows progression again. As Wendy said, it’s hard to show passion at a time like this when the football club is a shambles. I think loyalty is a form of passion, it’s not like you’ve been buying Sydney FC gear & secretly cheering for them :lol:

i am very sorry your family member is going through so much, but not only that i am sorry its something you have to be going through and i have been buying sydney fc gear in secret :P seriously though that is true

on the relationship thing though i just got an email from this women who wants to get to know me, she only needs my credit card details so this is a promising relationship for me

22 minutes ago, GlobalWarning said:

on the relationship thing though i just got an email from this women who wants to get to know me, she only needs my credit card details so this is a promising relationship for me

:lol:

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, GlobalWarning said:

Nicole?