mack

Mental Health Thread 2

20 hours ago, Burgerman said:

Also how hard is it to sleep with the brain on overdrive thinking about the situation, im lucky i know I'll get through it but very worried for a few close mates who have alot of young kids and will be off work for months and are now desperate to find any work. 

One m8 already told me that depression is kicking in and being trapped at home isn't helping, I'm trying to help but it's hard to. Alot of helpline services are swamped and m8s like mine won't call anyway. 

If anyone can help everyone with ideas or activities to help keep the brain stimulated on here would be a nice gesture. 

23 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

It’s really important that we try to maintain our normal & regular patterns in these times. This includes maintaining our sleeping patterns, eating regularly & looking after ourselves. It’s really easy to let these go out the window when you’ve got no job to wake up for or no real purpose day to day being forced in our homes.

This is all easier said than done, when we are depressed we get stuck. Motivation to get moving is hard, which just makes things real difficult & before you know it you get stuck in a vicious circle where the less you do leads you to unravel and the harder it becomes to break it.

It’s really important that you include exercise in this too if it isn’t already in your regular routine. It’s also vital for your friend who is struggling too, exercise is really important for your mental health. Remember exercise doesn’t have to be a complicated workout, HIIT or a marathon, sometimes it can just be simple. Like a walk around the block or a walk to coffee or bread shop to pick up something. Start small, work your way up.

I saw this on the ABC, hope it may be of some help.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-02/resilience-strategies-to-deal-with-coronavirus/12111594?pfmredir=sm - Wellbeing and resilience experts share strategies to cope during coronavirus pandemic

Just know Burger, you are not alone. Always feel free to reach out if you ever feel you need it 

Decided to move these here, not for any other reason that it is so easy for this to get lost in the pandemic thread with all the new cases, deaths soaring worldwide wide & just the general craziness of things changing every day.

interesting video but not sure if it belongs in here of the off topic topic but needless to say isolation can **** with your mind

i remember studying the effects of solitary confinement on prisons and it can create mental disorders where none exists even in the most hardened criminals or make existing disorders worse

apparently in march alone lifeline had 90,000 calls, which is massively up(though i dont know the exact stats) than usually, its been a difficult year for australians

Stay home, stay safe friends but don’t feel as if you’re isolated and alone

:grouphug:

Always feel like you can reach out here if you need to ❤️

Unrelated to the above posts: as part of this course I'm doing I need to do a module on sexual consent

I thought, "Yeah whatever, just answer the questions like a normal person and just get it over with".

Nope.

It's extremely mentally taxing and really getting me down

Thankfully I'm able to say that it's not because I have been abused or anything like that.

Some of the modules are very 'what would you do in this situation' and they go on to talk about going back to dorm rooms, kissing, hooking up, getting contraception out, dancing at night clubs, and taking girls home...

From a purely theoretical standpoint, I understand the rationale behind such questions.

For me, I read that and all the times that happened to me at uni (i.e. zero) and all the emotions and all the failures and all the crap that happened in our Singles, Dating, and Relationships Thread... it all floods back.

Not a great feeling unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

For me, I read that and all the times that happened to me at uni (i.e. zero) and all the emotions and all the failures and all the crap that happened in our Singles, Dating, and Relationships Thread... it all floods back.

Not a great feeling unfortunately.

Fwiw I thought you were extremely brave to go into the Singles, Dating, and Relationships Thread and bare your soul the way you did. Not too sure I could of put myself up for that. 

I think most people were very supportive of you in that thread Unlimited and in the end, you didn't even really need the help. You did it by yourself and now you have a wonderful girlfriend. 

TBH, I wouldn't think of anything as a failure. You took a while to come into your own and matured a lot before getting into a serious relationship. I'm sure your relationship is pretty healthy because you were older/more mature and you probably put more effort in to making it work. 

You could have ****ed around during uni and slept with a few girls, but I honestly don't think it would have done anything for you. I would guess what you have with your girlfriend now is a lot more special because you waited until it truly meant something. 

I think you need to frame your thoughts differently. You didn't fail, you learnt what and what not do. You avoided a bunch of bullshit, many STD's and potential unwanted pregnancies.