King Mitch Blasts Wanderers Into Top 6

Problem is that Pio lacks pace (even old school central defenders are quicker than him) and lacks height. Therefore that leaves "skill" as a necessary attribute for him to have to have to contribute something. From the few times I saw him with the ball he really doesn't seem to have any ideas. Something tells me he is a poacher, but just seems to be a pace too slow in this league.

My feeling is that Popa will eventually let him go. We saw last season what happens to players who don't perform up to standard and don't look motivated. If your marquee striker isn't scoring or even contributing to goals, then that is a problem. Dino's style of play at least contributed to the team winning. But even he was gone after one season.

Andreu is more of a marquee than Pio will ever be. The way I see it, what we lose with the money we paid for Pio, we gain with the bargain we got Andreu for.

I also think Jonathan Aspro will be an unbelievable defender in the years to come. His anticipation, reading of the play and body positioning is superb. Just needs more games and he will be a rock at the back for us. Therefore all is good IMO.

Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio Pio :woah::woah::woah::woah::woah:

Think he needs a bit of a lift, everyone is getting on his case. He needs a similar sort of pump up that dino got so gets a bit of a lift.

I think people need to realise, (I'm pretty sure one year contract) he will be here for a year. We've got him for the year & we need to get the best out of him. The biggest issue with Pio is that I don't know if Pio is not doing the right things or if it is popa not getting the best out of pio. I think service of both Vidosic & Castelen on the wings will result in goals but on Saturday Vidosic nor Sotirio gave the type of service a striker thrives upon. It was clear that Pio is getting outmuscled by his opposition, we need to change the way we get the ball to him. He isn't like a juric or dino who we can hit the ball long & dominate in the air.

Guys, please don't compare Pio to Santa, there are two different types of strikers. Comparing apples & oranges. It is clear we aren't getting the best out of him yet & hope we can turn it around. I feel that popa picked Pio to get a similar striker to juric but he hasn't got the size & it is clear he is having problems physically. Santa is the type of striker who runs all day (similar to dino) which Pio is not.

Funny because in Fifa piovaccari is described as an all round striker with his attributes.. He's a Aerial type a guy.. like to see that .. our system doesn't suite him he's obviously not a lone striker type of guy I really think it's a case of He hates Australia and he wants to go back to Europe

And if the player is from any other league then the a league Fifa is spot on

Edited by JayZko

Funny because in Fifa piovaccari is described as an all round striker with his attributes.. He's a Aerial type a guy.. like to see that .. our system doesn't suite him he's obviously not a lone striker type of guy I really think it's a case of He hates Australia and he wants to go back to Europe

And if the player is from any other league then the a league Fifa is spot on

Stop talking sense JayzKo or I'll report your account to Mack for identity theft.

That goal he scored against APIA was the last and dare I say only piece of class I've seen from him. Question is, what are we doing if our tactical set up is for balls played into the box on the ground through the midfield, instead of pinging crosses from the wings...

Is he playing the decoy big bastard role, a la St Dino, but in a more relaxed, who gives a shite way?

Andreu is more of a marquee than Pio will ever be. The way I see it, what we lose with the money we paid for Pio, we gain with the bargain we got Andreu for.

I also think Jonathan Aspro will be an unbelievable defender in the years to come. His anticipation, reading of the play and body positioning is superb. Just needs more games and he will be a rock at the back for us. Therefore all is good IMO.

Glad someone mentioned Andreu. Lets not forget Dimas.

Our two spaniard mids are our best players. They shield the defence, they drop deep and start plays, they are the ones who are ALWAYS there when a defender or winger or attacking mid or striker turns and needs a second option. They create the triangles needed to pull apart opposition teams. They get stuck in, they defend and they create.

Nichols is a gun, but without the engine guys behind him, his great (& often off the ball) runs would be wasted.

I love our team and how our team plays this year - i wasn't much of a counter attack type of guy.

I feel less fear this season then i have before. It was almost natural to feel downcast when Newcastle scored, that would have been us done last season. Thankfully, our recruitment has been on point and its all coming together nicely.

I might go pop $20 on WSW for the premiership or GF

- New chant is ******* brilliant

- Andreu has balls of steel

- Neville's crossing...jesus ******* christ

- Aspro is an absolute beast and it'll soon get to the point where he's too good to be on the bench. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him get a national call up soon, if Ange is watching. His temperament is amazing and he nearly always wins the ball, and times his challenges perfectly. 

- Pickles at Magic Park were sensational. 

We're playing with 10 men at the moment the way Pio is playing. If we get someone at right back who can cross (we have plenty of options) and sort the striker thing out (again, plenty of people who can play there if he doesn't pull his finger out), we're the best team in the league. I would say we're already playing the best football, although obviously Victory will be up there soon.

p.s. Did anyone notice at half-time the big screen said we only had 1 shot on goal??? A blatant lie, looked it up on the Internet and we'd actually had 7!

- Aspro is an absolute beast and it'll soon get to the point where he's too good to be on the bench. I wouldn't even be surprised to see him get a national call up soon, if Ange is watching. His temperament is amazing and he nearly always wins the ball, and times his challenges perfectly. 

We're playing with 10 men at the moment the way Pio is playing. If we get someone at right back who can cross (we have plenty of options) and sort the striker thing out (again, plenty of people who can play there if he doesn't pull his finger out), we're the best team in the league. I would say we're already playing the best football, although obviously Victory will be up there soon.

p.s. Did anyone notice at half-time the big screen said we only had 1 shot on goal??? A blatant lie, looked it up on the Internet and we'd actually had 7!

Yeah I commented to the missus about the half time stats !!

Yeah they can't count up there

I got 10 nuggets from Hungry Jacks before the match for $2.95. I paid $3, and got ten cents change :smurfnono::smurfpoint:

but i'll take it :xnod::meep::xbop::good::cheeky::woah::ninja:

Love the new found enthusiasm - we aren't out of the woods yet so cautious optimism is called for here :)

Expectations are on the rise though, really enjoyed the way we played at the weekend.

I am hopeful of a really good show at Melbourne, we look capable of beating anyone again home or away on our day. But yes, caution is still needed as this team isn't fully there yet.

If Pio is on 700k he might not want to be let go unless somewhere else pays him

And if come Jan he has 1 goal in 12 games there isn't going to be a stampede for him

But hopefully he's scoring for fun by then and this becomes irrelevant

As long as were winning who cares.
It's an interesting dilemma to have, winning but having a player underperforming. If we are winning, then you can carry underperforming players, if the goals are coming from the front 4 then it doesn't matter the striker is struggling. The second we are losing games & struggling, popa has no option but to drop him.

Poljak had a great game for the Jets, probably the best I've seen him play since S1, early S2.

I was cringing slightly watching Newcastkd trying to ping the ball around & the quick short passes. They just didn't look comfortable.
The efforts of the pyro technician who set of the flare in the dying minutes of the game were not appreciated. Those in and around La Banda gave him an earful. Judging by the smell of it he cooked a plastic chair.

This guy, fmd. Newspaper confetti ALL OVER THE FLOOR and they pop and drop it, subsequently starting a mini fire. Those around us were putting it out with water.

Don't be a ******* idiot next time.

Had the young kids (16 maybe) kicking the crap out of chairs to celebrate our first goal.. tapped them on the shoulder, told them to use their brains and that we dont want them banned for something as brainless as that and that im looking out for their interesrs. They stopped, looked sheepish and like it clicked in their head then became normal.. celebrated second goal in a normal manner. These were obviously kids with decency in them, just getting a bit silly and over excited.

A lot of the younger guys in the terrace with a propensity to do dumb **** just need a wise head to settle them gently and they will no doubt smarten up. Nothing aggressive, just an arm around them to keep them chilled.

Saw that West13. Was right behind when it was happening. You did a great job there de-escalating the situation.  :good:

You're totally right though, a lot of the people in the terrace are just young kids who get egged on in the moment to do stupid **** without thinking about the consequences. Just a tap on the shoulder from a wiser older head and no doubt they will fall into line. 

What are the contract lengths of Alberto, Dimas, Andreu, Mitch and Jamo?

Because if I was the sausage king I'd be looking to extend asap

Alberto, Dimas, Andreu are only signed for this season, and Nichols and Jamo were signed for 2 years.

Faaaark....re-sign Dimas and Andreu NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Alberto as well but at least we have a fair bit of cover at the CB position.

Poljak had a great game for the Jets, probably the best I've seen him play since S1, early S2.

He definitely left his foot mark on his replacement. Poljak being released was concerning at the time but our spanyards are a better option.

Not sure about all the Pio hate as it's only round 5 and we're calling him to be sacked. His performance was poor I'd admit but with all internationals who come here takes time to shine. Maybe a drop on the bench is brewing but to pay out his contract talk is silly. Needs to get one soon or he is going to replace Mifsud as biggest dud.