King Mitch Blasts Wanderers Into Top 6

That's one thing I did notice in the Newcastle game. He looked out of breath every time he ran 15m or so. I think his best game of the season was the first one against Brisbane. He actually seems to play better if you put him wide on the flank rather than in the centre. Every time he has done some thing remotely decent is when he has gone to the wing to look for the ball.

He looked totally shot and was blowing out of his arse at the start of the second half against Perth a few weeks back. He did come back in to the game a little. But so many questions about Pio, hope he makes it and I still think he can..................... but not confident.

Hope he turns up on Friday and rams the criticism down our throats.

It looks to me like he needs to put down the weights and start running some marathons. Really needs to slim down.

Thoughts people? Go to link for images.

Newcastle Jets vs Western Sydney Wanderers.

And so to Sunday. In the 73rd minute, the assistant referee raised his flag after a goal was scored by Enver Alivodic. The assistant believed that Milos Trifunovic was in an offside position and that Alivodic was in an onside position. When the referee confirmed that Alivodic was the goalscorer, the assistant referee said that the goal should be awarded.

The camera is not in line with the second last defender. This means that the position of Alivodic in relation to the second last defender is extremelydifficult to determine from the footage. The screenshots below show that Nikolai Topor-Stanley has his leg well behind the line between the light green and dark green grass. No Newcastle Jets attackers are in an offside position. Alivodic is standing on the light green grass and has no part of his body nearer to the goal line than Topor-Stanley’s leg, circled below. Although this is difficult to see from the camera angles available, this would have been clearly visible to the assistant referee who was looking directly across the line towards Topor-Stanley.

The process to raise the flag was untidy – neither Alivodic or Trifunovic were in offside positions – and this created confusion amongst players, fans and commentators.

However, ultimately the decision to award a goal was correct.

Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ben-wilson-explains-a-league-offside-decisions-from-round-5/1du19triudzz81scx5z9asxehf#sw8jq3Gejp3OHOJ7.99

I just thought that my rose tinted glasses biased my opinion but what he says just makes it worse.

How did the assistant think Trifunovic was offside when he was a foot behind Alivodic? Or maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Why can't they just admit they are wrong? Everyone knows it was wrong, everyone knows it was blunder but the FFA trying to justify things, how embarrassing! Then he calls it untidy :lol:, what a laughing stock!!

Obviously the explanation is laughable, but even if you take their word for it, this part makes the assistant look incompetent (even though he actually made the right decision initially!):

When the referee confirmed that Alivodic was the goalscorer, the assistant referee said that the goal should be awarded.

How could you possible not realise which one of them had scored??? Clutching at straws to explain a farcical incident. I fear this is gonna start a worrying trend where teams are going to pressure refs/linos every time an offside decision goes against them, and the ref might buckle depending on the day. I always used to wonder why teams wasted so much time remonstrating because the ref couldn't change his decision anyway, but apparently now he can.

If they can do this now surely they should have announced it in pre-season? I mean it's a pretty big change to the rules. 

Twice we've copped it now, similar situation against Perth in our FFA match, which they won. I still never heard an explanation for that one. It looked terrible though, assistant flags for off side, Perth players surround assistant. Referee comes over, speaks at length to assistant while surrounded by glory players. Referee awards goal. It looked ridiculous if nothing else.

So if I'm reading that right.... the camera can't provide conclusive proof either way as it is not in line with the second last defender.  The assistant referee therefore is the only person who is directly in line and believed Trifunovic was offside.  This somehow translates to it being obvious that he was not offside - he apparently raised his flag seeing him offside but he did it because he definitely wasn't.  Yep, no idea why HAL refs are a joke.

So if I'm reading that right.... the camera can't provide conclusive proof either way as it is not in line with the second last defender. The assistant referee therefore is the only person who is directly in line and believed Trifunovic was offside. This somehow translates to it being obvious that he was not offside - he apparently raised his flag seeing him offside but he did it because he definitely wasn't. Yep, no idea why HAL refs are a joke.

The way I read it & just wanted clarification that I was right was that:

The AR identified the Newcastle player closest to him as offside (even though he was a foot behind the other player) but the AR thought the player who scored was onside but just wanted to check with the main referee before awarding the goal. Can someone confirm that I read that right?

Wouldn't that make the assistant not in the correct position to make a call?

Lol the 'justification' screenshot is taken before the ball is kicked!! C'mom Wilson you can do better than that mate.

Also, where have these in-depth pieces been when they know they've got it wrong and can't try to pretend they haven't (Sotirio)?

And if their justification is right (which it isn't), why isn't the linesman being punished for not knowing the bloody rule? Why did he need the ref to come over and say "well the other guy got the goal so it's not offside.

Either way, one of them ****ed up royally and the line "the process to raise the flag was untidy" is not adequate.

Anyway, bigger picture - this nonsense that the other player isn't intefeering in play has to stop. If two players are offside at a free like that, they are impacting the defenders and goalkeeper, so they are intefeering.

Rubbish all round, from FIFA and the FFA.

Lol the 'justification' screenshot is taken before the ball is kicked!! C'mom Wilson you can do better than that mate.

Also, where have these in-depth pieces been when they know they've got it wrong and can't try to pretend they haven't (Sotirio)?

And if their justification is right (which it isn't), why isn't the linesman being punished for not knowing the bloody rule? Why did he need the ref to come over and say "well the other guy got the goal so it's not offside.

Either way, one of them ****ed up royally and the line "the process to raise the flag was untidy" is not adequate.

Anyway, bigger picture - this nonsense that the other player isn't intefeering in play has to stop. If two players are offside at a free like that, they are impacting the defenders and goalkeeper, so they are intefeering.

Rubbish all round, from FIFA and the FFA

In my opinion there should be no grey area. You are either offside or onside. None of this interfering bullshit. If you are on the pitch you are interfering, simple.  Even if players are interfering in a mental way they are interfering. If a defender is only thinking about an attackers position, they are still interfering because if that attacker wasn't in that position chances are the defender would be in a different position too.

Victory are experts at this. It happened many times last season, not so sure about this season as I really haven't been paying attention.  If the ball is on the left side of the pitch the right winger often drifts offside. Defenders are still thinking about the right winger. Should they let him drift offside or drop deeper to cover him? They have to keep turning their heads because they don't want to lose track of him.  In my opinion that is interfering.  When the right winger does get the ball they have positioned themselves onside and then the left winger drifts offside.  It has happened many times.

Cut out the grey area.

Rubbish all round, from FIFA and the FFA

In my opinion there should be no grey area. You are either offside or onside. None of this interfering bullshit. If you are on the pitch you are interfering, simple.  Even if players are interfering in a mental way they are interfering. If a defender is only thinking about an attackers position, they are still interfering because if that attacker wasn't in that position chances are the defender would be in a different position too.

Victory are experts at this. It happened many times last season, not so sure about this season as I really haven't been paying attention.  If the ball is on the left side of the pitch the right winger often drifts offside. Defenders are still thinking about the right winger. Should they let him drift offside or drop deeper to cover him? They have to keep turning their heads because they don't want to lose track of him.  In my opinion that is interfering.  When the right winger does get the ball they have positioned themselves onside and then the left winger drifts offside.  It has happened many times.

Cut out the grey area.

100%agree with this. There is so many ways you can exploit the passive offside rule. Everything comes down to interpretations, and then it gets into arguments about what degree of interference took place. Make it simple and if anyone is offside then it is offside. Doesn't matter whether they are interfering or not. Simple.

Rubbish all round, from FIFA and the FFA.

No he actually did the right thing:

As an AR, it is very hard to judge depth from a distance. You can tell when a player from the attacking team is offside but it is sometimes very difficult to judge which player was involved in the play & which wasn't. In this case you had 10-16 players standing within 1-2m of one another. It is pretty standard I would think to check with the referee if you are not sure which player was involved & which wasn't but perhaps should have utilised the headset better.

With the change in rule about interference & playing the ball (which came in at the start of the season), it makes it even more difficult for the AR to make a definitive decision so we may see more of the referee checking with the linesman before giving decisions. In our grand final last season, the AR assumed that our player had headed the ball backwards when going for an aerial challenge, which landed at the feet of the opposition 5 metres behind our last defender but didn't check his decision with the referee making a huge blunder (even though they had headsets). As I said, in the future you will see a lot more of these discussions before awarding a goal.

Even the justification screenshot, from before the ball is kicked, isn't convincing. The only difference is it's not AS obvious that he's offside. I can't believe they actually wrote that. Did they actually think people would read it & go 'Oh yeah, they were right actually.' They must think we're really ******* stupid.

And then he didn't even address our penalty (which, let's face it, was soft). Why not just admit you've got it wrong and wanna try and avoid that in the future, that would earn a lot more respect than clutching at straws.

Regarding the "soft" penalty: penalties "are awarded when a foul that is punishable by a direct free kick is committed within the offending player's own penalty area".

8 foot tall Trifunovic pushes 5 foot small Santa in the back. From where I was standing it was clearer to be seen than on replay. Outside the box it would have resulted in a free kick, hence it had to be a penalty.

The issue is not that the penalty was given, but Trifunovic making that silly and unnecessary push in the first place. He may as well have scored a deliberate own goal.

Regarding the "soft" penalty: penalties "are awarded when a foul that is punishable by a direct free kick is committed within the offending player's own penalty area".

8 foot tall Trifunovic pushes 5 foot small Santa in the back. From where I was standing it was clearer to be seen than on replay. Outside the box it would have resulted in a free kick, hence it had to be a penalty.

The issue is not that the penalty was given, but Trifunovic making that silly and unnecessary push in the first place. He may as well have scored a deliberate own goal.

100%, I hate there is this ridiculous way of thinking that there needs to be a higher more worthy definition of a foul to be a penalty which is not a rule. I wouldn't say it was a push, but he ran straight into the back of Santa as if he wasn't there. Soft foul & by that extension a soft penalty but a foul is a foul no matter where it happens on the field.