Western Sydney Wanderers to play Arsenal FC in 2017

I thought this deserved its own thread!

FOUR decades after they last visited Sydney, English Premier League giants Arsenal are set to return to the Harbour City.

The D***** T***** understands the Gunners will play two matches at ANZ Stadium in 2017 as part of their preseason preparation, one against Sydney FC — who should be used to coming up against Premier League opposition by now after this year hosting both Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea — and the other against the Western Sydney Wanderers.

While the exact dates of the games are yet to be finalised, they are expected to take place in either late July or early August of 2017 and the tour will form part of Arsenal’s preseason training.

t might be a bit of a wait for those eager Arsenal football fans in Australia — and indeed football fans in general — but due to the number of players involved in Euro 2016, trying to fit in a tour next year would have been too challenging.

Some of the most talented players in world football play for the Gunners, including Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil, Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who has been at the helm of the club for 19 years, is famously stubborn when it comes to his meticulous pre-season regimen and previous attempts that were made to entice him to make the trip Down Under all failed. But in recent years the team has added Asia and the US to its travel itinerary and now Wenger is said to be excited at the prospect of playing in Australia too.

Arsenal is one of the most successful clubs in English football, having won 13 First Division and Premier League titles and a record 12 FA Cups. The north London team is also one of the clubs in the running to win this season’s title. With an estimated worth of $1.3 billion, Arsenal are ranked the seventh richest club in world football.

The last time Arsenal were in Sydney was way back in 1977, where they played — and lost 3-1 — to an Australian team featuring John Kosmina and Peter Wilson and coached by Jim Shoulder. 
The Arsenal tour is another major coup for ANZ Stadium and the NSW Government and adds to a growing list of football royalty that has played in Sydney recently. Manchester United, Juventus, Tottenham and Chelsea have all enjoyed successful trips, while a Liverpool Legends team will also play an exhibition match against an Australian XI at the venue in January.
Edited by Cazorla

If we ever play one of these big teams, I look forward to the difference in atmosphere to the normal exhibitions we have had so far. Those games had all the Aussie fans of the European teams out in force in a big love-in. We'll turn up to give em **** and outsing em.

The only way there will be a difference in atmosphere is if the tickets are affordable and they open up a genuinely active section to RBB members (and wsw members)... otherwise it will be 'you're in me seat' central...

$200 tickets to watch a reserve side.

Yeah exhibitions are ****, but if they had reasonable prices and we all turned up to show em what the RBB is made of, it could be alright.

If we ever play one of these big teams, I look forward to the difference in atmosphere to the normal exhibitions we have had so far. Those games had all the Aussie fans of the European teams out in force in a big love-in. We'll turn up to give em **** and outsing em.

The only way there will be a difference in atmosphere is if the tickets are affordable and they open up a genuinely active section to RBB members (and wsw members)... otherwise it will be 'you're in me seat' central...

Haha beat be by a second. Totally agree. Depends who organises it I guess!!

This. Give rbb members cheap tickets in a designated active bay and I'm there. Would be great chance to show what we do on a bigger stage. Otherwise they can continue their annual eurosnob wank without me.

No thanks.  I was a season ticket holder at West Ham for 10 years so gimmick games here don't deserve my money nor do they have any interest.  The only time I want to see an EPL side is when I'm freezing my nuts off in England rather than freezing them off in Australia.  Will leave this to the theatre goers.

pfffttttttt Arsenal.

I know we all wanted to see Middlesbrough come back to Sydney for the first time since I think 1977  :nono:

Middlesbrough 5 - 0 Australia  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:

Played : June 5 1977   Venue : Sydney Sportsground, Australia Australia

Australia  0 - 5 Middlesbrough (ENG)

Aus - Terry Eaton, George Harris, Col Bennett, Peter Wilson, Jim Tansey, Dave Harding (Peter Stone 70), Gary Byrne, Jim Rooney, John Kosmina, Peter Ollerton, Atti Abonyi (John Nyskohus 70)

Boro - Pat Cuff, John Craggs, Ian Bailey, Graeme Souness, Stuart Boam ©, Alan Ramage, Tony McAndrew, David Mills, John Hickton (Alf Wood 73'), Willie Maddren, David Armstrong (Walsh 73)
Goals : McAndrew 10, Hickton 30, 70, Souness 52, Maddren 88 Coaches : Jim Shoulder (Australia), Jim Greenhaigh (Middlesbrough)

Take that Kosmina  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Wonder what the attendance was lol

Edited by WSWBoro

$200 tickets to watch a reserve side.

Part of the contract normally requires them to play most of there Star players .. As we have seen when other teams have come over ..

I'm in like sin even arsenal at 50 percent would still put most a league teams to shame .

Not going to miss it when it's right on my doorstep

Pitch will be rubbish, atmosphere will be rubbish due to pricing, it'll be freezing, Wenger will play U21 team, FFA will get a cut, we'll still be in the ACL, it's in a shite stadium, there'll be paper planes, muppets will do a countdown to the 90 minute mark, players will be playing at 50% so they don't get injured, people will bitch about people standing, etc.

I'll probably still go though

Edited by Alexander

will it be like when liverpool played victory and victory became the away team? Their active bay section got reduced massively to accomodate and make way for the higher spending, higher priced Liverpool/GA section. long way away but i hope the club plays it correctly by allowing all members to purchase their own seats.

By this time we will have a new honcho running the FFA and clubs won't be punished financially by having to pay a fee to host these matches and we are able to make a significant deal on the ticket sales plus also receive a certain percentage on the tv rights. Instead of the FFA taking all the $$$$$$$$$$$

will it be like when liverpool played victory and victory became the away team? Their active bay section got reduced massively to accomodate and make way for the higher spending, higher priced Liverpool/GA section. long way away but i hope the club plays it correctly by allowing all members to purchase their own seats.

By this time we will have a new honcho running the FFA and clubs won't be punished financially by having to pay a fee to host these matches and we are able to make a significant deal on the ticket sales plus also receive a certain percentage on the tv rights. Instead of the FFA taking all the $$$$$$$$$$$

Having two arsenal games in the same city will help with ticket prices ..

I can't see the Wanderers active support been to expensive ..

Having two arsenal games in the same city will help with ticket prices ..

I can't see the Wanderers active support been to expensive ..

but how many bays will they give the RBB? and will this be classified as our home or away match? Reason we couldn't hear NT when Liverpool played was cause the NT were only given 1 bay and Victory were classified as the away team, so the rest of victory fans were mixed with liverpool fans.

I just hope we get to show piece who wanderers are rather than show piece and make for all the arsenal fans and push us just as the "opponent" team.

Chelsea vs Sydney FC was awful.

No atmosphere and expensive

Biggest cheers came from paper planes fired from the nose bleed sections.

ANZ stadium is so wide and deep that even the whole RBB in full voice wont be able to create a decent atmosphere.

I also think the tickets will be ridiculously priced.

Arsenal at Pirtek.... I'd go to that.

Chelsea vs Sydney FC was awful.

No atmosphere and expensive

Biggest cheers came from paper planes fired from the nose bleed sections.

ANZ stadium is so wide and deep that even the whole RBB in full voice wont be able to create a decent atmosphere.

I also think the tickets will be ridiculously priced.

Arsenal at Pirtek.... I'd go to that.

If there's enough WSW actives (plus 8-10k) there would be a decent atmosphere. The atmosphere at the Iran game in the Asian Cup was nuts with 20k in the stadium. Highly unlikely that we'd get enough actives though, but not impossible

Pitch will be rubbish, atmosphere will be rubbish due to pricing, it'll be freezing, Wenger will play U21 team, FFA will get a cut, we'll still be in the ACL, it's in a shite stadium, there'll be paper planes, muppets will do a countdown to the 90 minute mark, players will be playing at 50% so they don't get injured, people will bitch about people standing, etc.

:rofl:  bhahaha one of your best.

I was thinking by 2017 Wenger would have cashed back in on Ozil and Sanchez and yep like your under 21 comment we will see Arterta and Flaimini start.

100000000000000000000000000000000% sit in RBB active if I can afford it. if it's over $50 they can get farked. Never a fan of the EPL sides and their money grabbing tours. OUtside of when Manure destroyed the All Stars the EPL sides down here have been almost woeful. Victory with better luck in finishing would have beat Liverpool and the Tottenham/Chelsea games were trash.

:rofl:  bhahaha one of your best.

I was thinking by 2017 Wenger would have cashed back in on Ozil and Sanchez and yep like your under 21 comment we will see Arterta and Flaimini start.

100000000000000000000000000000000% sit in RBB active if I can afford it. if it's over $50 they can get farked. Never a fan of the EPL sides and their money grabbing tours. OUtside of when Manure destroyed the All Stars the EPL sides down here have been almost woeful. Victory with better luck in finishing would have beat Liverpool and the Tottenham/Chelsea games were trash.

It'll be $50+ for sure. The ticket prices to the Melbourne game were absurd.

Flamini won't be there. He'll be on his island with billions in his bank account by then

This. I'll go if the there's a proper active section for a reasonable price. I'm not holding my breath. 

Edited by luisenrique

We know we will get ripped off, but a $50 RBB ticket should be no issue if our club voice a concern on pricing.

Agree with most that these tours are just money grabbing extravaganzas, hoping that ticket prices are well thought out.

ANZ is an issue, but I reckon a 60000+ crowd is highly doable.

This grubby gooner will be a tad confused to be cheering for both teams but truly the Wanderers now are MY team, the Gunners ( been supporting them for 30+ years) as much as I love them will be sitting down a peg, only on this night of nights.

Don't forget the obligatory Mexican wave as well. 

The thing that annoys me about these matches is they will gear them towards the EPL fan boys, who simply have no interest in the A-league. I know people will say there is no use to preach to the converted but that's not the point. If you gear this towards what is an authentic A-league experience then this is what you sell them. If they don't want to see the A-league experience then you will never get them to come regardless. That means you sell tickets to members first, you have a proper home end with the RBB and the rest are the general public (theatre goers) and EPL fan boys. We shouldn't make apologies for this either.

If an EPL fan pipes up and says well "we never get to see Arsenal come to Australia". Who gives a rats. You want to go see Arsenal buy a membership to an A-league club or go and watch Arsenal in England or wherever. Why do we have to be so accommodating to the EPL in growing their fan base. This is where these tours go so wrong for Australian football. 

Edited by Jukes01

Having them play two games at ANZ will be a problem. Apart from the diehard gunners fans I cannot see too many locals going to both games ( especially if the prices are high). You will get ESFC going to their game and WSW going to ours. I would prefer it if they played somewhere smaller at least you would get both games sold out.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic