Western Sydney Wanderers to play Arsenal FC in 2017

Thoughts, people who are team #NoToANZ?

For a gimmick I'm not too fussed but not for a game in anger...  :smurfpoint:

Now you know how I felt when ESFC played Tottnum  :xmad:

qJXzUG4.jpg

Yes, yes, I understand, I was there confused as F U C K on this issue as I was what to wear...  :crazy:

If we ever play one of these big teams, I look forward to the difference in atmosphere to the normal exhibitions we have had so far. Those games had all the Aussie fans of the European teams out in force in a big love-in. We'll turn up to give em **** and outsing em.

The only way there will be a difference in atmosphere is if the tickets are affordable and they open up a genuinely active section to RBB members (and wsw members)... otherwise it will be 'you're in me seat' central...

This will be an issue but I'm sure the club will work closely with RBB for this to work. You will have Eurosnobs and members from every other clubs (except Arsenal) wanting to 'be in the RBB for the day'. A new can of worms will be open. 

If they are serious it should be RBB/WSW Members only, first release for Active section and then second release these same people get the chance to buy as many as they want for friends and family. I can't see it working out sensibly or  safely any other way. It is going to be a logistical nightmare for it to work properly, or we just cheer the paper planes...  :crazy:

Also can't express the sheer cynicism I have when the Daily Tw@tograph happen to let this slip on the eve of the most important meeting since the inception of the A League.

This is the key point, it draws the casual fans of WSW and ESFC, and makes them see the FFA in a more positive way. When have we had these games be announced almost 2 years early?

Having them play two games at ANZ will be a problem. Apart from the diehard gunners fans I cannot see too many locals going to both games ( especially if the prices are high). You will get ESFC going to their game and WSW going to ours. I would prefer it if they played somewhere smaller at least you would get both games sold out.

Would be great to have this as the launch of our new stadium... but that isn't happening any time soon.

Having them play two games at ANZ will be a problem. Apart from the diehard gunners fans I cannot see too many locals going to both games ( especially if the prices are high). You will get ESFC going to their game and WSW going to ours. I would prefer it if they played somewhere smaller at least you would get both games sold out.

Would be great to have this as the launch of our new stadium... but that isn't happening any time soon.

We need to see that wrecking ball first. I still don't believe it will be happening until that puts in an appearance.

I honestly would not be surprised if we are still talking in 5 years time.

Edited by beatsurrender

A packed RBB with us doing what we do best making some serious noise could really make a statement to the eurosnobs in attendance about what they are missing out on. It's the atmosphere that will hook them.

Having said that, it still haunts me the nightmare I had in the active bay at ANZ for the Asian Cup final. It was an absolute debacle, the concept of active support is so foreign to the employees and security they had no idea what was going on. The whole first half they spent making people go and sit in the right seats which just created one big chain reaction. Hopefully between now and then they can sort it out and learn.

Or the last game at current stadium. Santalab scored winner in 90th, mass pitch invasion WSW member get to take their seat home

ANZ stadium no atmosphere, Arsenal should feel at home

Edited by StringerBellend

Or the last game at current stadium. Santalab scored winner in 90th, mass pitch invasion WSW member get to take their seat home

I think a 'marquee event' would be brilliant for our eventual stadium opener. They did the same for ANZ from memory. The Eels will want to do with the stadium opener, but they can't offer a viable marque event like football can. They won't do an origin match there, and a double header isn't going to out due the appeal of an overseas football team playing vs us. Some overseas team playing against us in an great atmosphere befitting a stadium opening would be quite an evening :xnod de:

Btw, was it the World XI vs Socceroos or Manchester United vs Socceroos that was the ANZ stadium opener?

so why would they announce this 18 months in advance lol? is it meant to be July 2016 or is it definitely July 2017?

Arsenal players would likely be competing in Euro 2016 during the European summer (July-August)

Also Destination NSW (who are organising the event, would want to have as much time to promote vthe game and make sure the match sells out

Wednesday, 9 December 2015

-

Arsenal Football Club and the New South Wales (NSW) Government today announced a multi-year Tourism Partnership, which will culminate in Arsenal playing the Western Sydney Wanderers in one of the Club’s two pre-season matches at ANZ Stadium in Sydney in July 2017.
The matches will be hosted by ANZ Stadium in a joint Destination NSW and NSW Government initiative to bring the global football Giants to Australia for the first time since 1977.

Wanderers Chairman Paul Lederer said the opportunity to play Arsenal was an outstanding result for the members and fans of the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club.

“This is the opportunity we have been waiting for and we are very excited to be able to announce that Arsenal will be coming to Australia to play our side in a friendly,†said Wanderers Chairman Paul Lederer.

“Arsenal are a huge team and we know that many of our fans are also major fans of the Arsenal Football Club.

“Myself and John (Tsatsimas, Wanderers CEO) met with Ivan Gazidis and his team earlier this year on our visit to Arsenal and we are very pleased that this opportunity has been able to come to fruition.

“Our members will be in pole position to see Arsenal in action on Australian shores for the first time since 1977 which is a wonderful outcome for this Club and for Western Sydney.â€

In the agreement Destination NSW will become Arsenal’s Official Tourism Partner for Australia with the ability to utilise a wide range of rights including LED perimeter signage, player and legend access, digital and social promotions, in-stadium activations and match day hospitality.

“We are excited to enter into this partnership with the NSW Government and Destination NSW. As well as being our first partnership agreement in Australia, the deal is unique in combining a tourism partnership with pre-season matches,†said Arsenal’s Chief Commercial Officer, Vinai Venkatesham.

“We look forward to working with our new partner to promote NSW, before bringing our first team to Sydney for two games in 2017 in front of our passionate Australian fans.â€

Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events and Minister for Sport Stuart Ayres said the partnership will see NSW promoted to millions of football fans around the world.

“Arsenal FC is one of world football’s oldest and most iconic clubs, having formed in 1889 and won 13 League titles and 12 FA Cups in its 129 year history. This historic two year agreement will see NSW promoted at every Arsenal home game, generating huge exposure for our State across the globe,†said Mr Ayres.

“The partnership will also see Arsenal travel to Sydney in July 2017, playing matches against Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC, exclusively at ANZ Stadium. The matches are expected to attract more than 28,000 domestic and international visitors, who will spend in excess of $18.6 million.

ANZ Stadium Managing Director Daryl Kerry said the Arsenal tour would give Sydney two sporting blockbusters back-to-back in 2017.

“Arsenal are one of the most successful clubs in the English Premier League, the reigning FA Cup champions, and a club steeped in history and with an enormous following here in Australia,†said Mr Kerry.

Details of the Arsenal matches to be played at ANZ Stadium in July 2017 will be announced in due course with tickets expected to go on sale by September 2016. Further details will be announced at a future date.

Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-to-play-arsenal-in-2017/275ay0u2dnr61n5ti4i6jpkfa#KiHv224Xbt0HLJDD.99

That means that we'll have to wear our away jersey, 

as long as there is black shorts I'm happy

We should play in our home Jerseys. Arsenal have usually played in their away jerseys against red teams on the preseason tours.

They can play the smurfs in their home jersey, and us in their away.

Chance to sell both jerseys, so the Arsenal accountants will be happy.

I think a 'marquee event' would be brilliant for our eventual stadium opener. They did the same for ANZ from memory. The Eels will want to do with the stadium opener, but they can't offer a viable marque event like football can. They won't do an origin match there, and a double header isn't going to out due the appeal of an overseas football team playing vs us. Some overseas team playing against us in an great atmosphere befitting a stadium opening would be quite an evening :xnod de:

Btw, was it the World XI vs Socceroos or Manchester United vs Socceroos that was the ANZ stadium opener?

Was Socceroos v World XI. I was a ball boy on that game :) Wasn't the first event, but was the official opener.

“Our members will be in pole position to see Arsenal in action on Australian shores for the first time since 1977 which is a wonderful outcome for this Club and for Western Sydney.â€

So it would seem from that statement that we will be entitled to first dibs at the tickets. Now we just need to convince them that lower tickets prices are the way to go.

Needs to be sold on the premise that at least 20K attendees will be WSW members, plus their families/friends, if not more. Our pre-sale should get priority over any other ticket sales

RBB needs appropriate distribution of bays to make sure they can do whatever it takes to try and make ANZ into a genuine football ground.

Ticket prices except for top flight corporate need to be pegged at no more than $100 for an adult member, avoiding the absurd gouging seen in the Socceroo All-Stars vs Liverpool farce.

Commissioner Scipione, Rebecca Wilson and Alan Jones to get a VIP invite, then to be knocked back when they arrive due to their 'security risk'  :ninja:

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic