Around the Bloc S04E15: Blew It

Around the Bloc S04E15: Blew It

Wanderers were royally screwed in the city game on the weekend and we all felt pretty hard done by, despite conceding three goals. The Derby d’Sydney is this weekend so that’s giving us another game where we’re able to look forward to an unjust outcome, which we’ll know all about as soon as we’re assigned Kris Griffiths-Jones.

This is Around the Bloc

Thanks to Caminito Food Truck for sponsoring this week’s episode!

facebook.com/caminitochorizoalpan

twitter.com/Caminito_Truck

sydneyfoodtrucks.com.au/trucks/caminito

On iTunes or your podcast app or on our website here:

http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/s04e15-blew-it/

Around The Bloc on Facebook

Around The Bloc on Twitter

As much as we should all pick on the FFA Centre of "Excellence" for having a lame name, it's probably not fair to pick on their playing ability. Correct me if I'm wrong (don't worry, I often am wrong so I'm used to correction - just ask my wife), but isn't the FFA COE all 15 and 16 year olds (the old AIS youth program), making them a couple of years younger than all the other teams? It might not seem like much, but given the A League teams use the NYL (or whatever it's called these days) to nurse senior players coming back from injury, the age and experience gap can be significant.

When I watched the youth derby at Popondetta a few weeks back, ESFC had a full complement of over age players, including Zac Anderson running the back line and Abbas grubbing it up for half an hour at the end. That sort of squad would smash a team of 15 and 16 year olds, regardless of how good they are.

Good pod as always though, team. Love your work  :good:

They are U17 age and generally speaking, will make up the majority of the U17 Joey's national side. In the 2015 U17 WC about half the players were from the COE, with a handful from other A-League clubs, and another small handful from overseas clubs.

They run on a two year scholarship cycle. The 2016 intake will have kids born in 2000 or 2001 (fmd that makes me feel old). So they will be a mix of 15 to 17 year olds, although at the end of a scholarship they might be pushing 18.

ATB talking about the laws of the game... 

:angrycovic:

On the hand ball... law states nothing about natural position... that's a myth - only talks about being deliberate :D

I'm positive I said that it was supposed to be deliberate. But know it all Turner knows all apparently ;)

As much as we should all pick on the FFA Centre of "Excellence" for having a lame name, it's probably not fair to pick on their playing ability. Correct me if I'm wrong (don't worry, I often am wrong so I'm used to correction - just ask my wife), but isn't the FFA COE all 15 and 16 year olds (the old AIS youth program), making them a couple of years younger than all the other teams? It might not seem like much, but given the A League teams use the NYL (or whatever it's called these days) to nurse senior players coming back from injury, the age and experience gap can be significant.

When I watched the youth derby at Popondetta a few weeks back, ESFC had a full complement of over age players, including Zac Anderson running the back line and Abbas grubbing it up for half an hour at the end. That sort of squad would smash a team of 15 and 16 year olds, regardless of how good they are.

That's Brendan's area to provide the #facts

As mack stated above, it appears to be the case. Kinda harsh on them tbh. They should be in the NPL system which I guess they will be in the upcoming season?

ATB talking about the laws of the game... 

:angrycovic:

On the hand ball... law states nothing about natural position... that's a myth - only talks about being deliberate :D

I'm positive I said that it was supposed to be deliberate. But know it all Turner knows all apparently ;)

That's Brendan's area to provide the #facts

As mack stated above, it appears to be the case. Kinda harsh on them tbh. They should be in the NPL system which I guess they will be in the upcoming season?

Someone did say deliberate in there., couldn't remember who. But, yes Turner is a God and was obviously 100% correct ;)

Good episode. I agree with Turner about not liking to see the referees get in front of a camera and explain themselves. They're only going to be interviewed if they've made a contentious decision so people are going to automatically associate the interviews with screw ups. If there's a reasonable explanation it'll probably get picked up in the replays so the commentators or pundits in the studio will see it and there won't be an interview, meaning the only outcomes are the referees apologising (like Williams) or brushing off a mistake (Jillett). Either way they look worse than before.

I'd rather someone like Ben Wilson to give an interpretation, even talk to the referee and feed back info. That way it's the organisation talking and not the individual.

my biggest issue with reffs facing the cameras is how long until an important game is decided by a horrible call and players and coaches start saying well he admitted he was wrong so were are our three point etc etc 

The referee's boss should meet with the media after their review on a Monday night.

The referee could say, well yes I made the call wrong, but this is what I saw... then Ben Wilson comes on and says this and this, with a bit of spin and we're all happy ;)

Weren't they doing that last season or the season before on Shootout? You had Ben Wilson going through things but it was all fluff and seemed so incorrect still. Basically they never admitted a mistake.

"No, THIS is why he made the call." They were never wrong.

probably for that reason because as soon as they do they open the door to the whole "well where our our points then the reff admitted we should have had the call etc etc"