Football Media Discussion

I take your point on the loose affiliation thing but disagree on PR.

All I said is that the way RBB handled the aftermath was poor, and no, you don't need a company like PR department full of schooled people to be able to provide a measured response.

I could be wrong in that they are able to do it, but chose not to.

If you can see my point on the loose affiliation, then you must be able to see that the rbb can't be held responsible for some dickhead with slaters mobile no. Especially when it could have been anyone!

As for being able, maybe, mAybe not - but the point is unlike most other organisations there's no real necessity to get it "right". Especially when everyone enjoys sticking the boot in anyway.

I would suggest existing in 20 years time equates to necessity. I'm not talking about winning over the anti-football mafia - that will never happen and we should never try, but nor will they ever have the capacity to end us, as much as they like to think they do. Those inside our club and inside football, who increasing are getting jack of us (not just ESFC supporters), do have that capacity. That equates to me as a necessity not so much to be perfect in the aftermath of such events, but to at least not recklessly make things worse. I increasingly get the sense that being hated and having anti-establishment cred is more important to some than the long term future of either the RBB or WSW as a whole.

I meant doing it "right" as in, what a company with customers would do. Not a moral or ethical or even logical right. Not that they necessarily did that either. But A right as in creating an acceptable brand.

The facebook thing is a case in point really. It was taking the piss. A company wouldn't risk that. They'd have to toe the line. Like wsw did in the end.

Maybe nmh is right and it's just not possible to exist in such a way. In which case my initial point remains. It's a sad state of affairs that a home end should have to concern itself with public relations for the sake of appeasing the expectations of a public and media that don't give two shits about it in truth.

I am beginning to get worried about this over sanitisation of the a-league. I am 100% against bad behaviour that causes harm to others (especially violence or intimidation), but when we begin to get over sensitive about little every little thing, it is a problem for the league. For me it could have a long term effect.

A lot of what the the a-league has over other codes in this country is the character of the supporters, and the uniqueness of active support. It creates that atmosphere that is unique to this country. This is most prevalent in the big intra city derby games where the rivalry is greater. Most of the other games during the season don't bring the casual supporters out. We rely on these casual supporters to attract new people and the keep the league going.

AFL and NRL can afford to over sanitise their league. Same for EPL or NBA. People will still watch these leagues regardless of what the head body does. They have history, tradition and culture in their marketplace. Fans will stick solid. A-league if you over sanitise will basically be an inferior football league in a market where other sports have all the history, tradition and media presence. No point of difference. A-league will be just another sport that offers the same product, but for an inferior competition. So who will come and watch?

The rivalries amongst supporters of the Sydney and Melbourne teams (maybe add Adelaide and Brisbane to some of this) is what is keeping the league going at the moment. Let's hope we don't piss this all into the wind. We still aren't safe from total collapse. Although I guess part of the charm of the a-league is the fact that you know it could just collapse at any moment. Who knows? We are in Gallop's brave new world now, and the "plastic" vi$ion and Yoshi campaign was a massive failure. Maybe time to let the supporters market the league.

Edited by WestSyd

If the dick banner did anything at all to add to the atmosphere you may have a point, but it didn't. It was offence for the sake of offence. It wasn't as impressive as the flag display before kickoff, or the poznan, or the reaction at full time. It wasn't as engaging as the Cove doing their call an response in a quiet moment, then the RBB replying with a louder who do we sing for directly after. All of the actual intensity and excitement was allowed, banning "lol, cocksucker" banners (and "lol retard" banners in the cove) doesn't detract from that at the game. But it did mean that the media were able to fixate on the homophobia and casuals didn't hear about the great atmosphere. You need a certain amount of sanitation, or at least freedom from controversy, for the uniqueness of active support to be able to be the main story.

The flare situation is a bit different, and IMO has impacted the atmosphere, but as long as active supporters of all clubs look down with contempt at the official pyro such as the CCM cannon and the big bash style flamethrowers at Adelaide Oval then we're not going to be able to get to a stage where safe pyro/smoke displays will be able to be integrated into active support.

Agree with the FFA marketing being terrible.

Edited by NotVaughan

I don't agree with whinging to ESFC's sponsors and getting them to cut ties with them

At the end of the day, it's making the sport as a whole worse off

west syd uni, nrma,pepper etc got peppered by numerous butt hurt ESFC fans from facebook,twitter accounts/emails etc complaining about how their company is tied to wsw which is always in the media for the "bad" reasons. If you want to give it then u must be also prepared to take it.

NRMA backed us up and responded by saying they will not cut ties and are happy with the punishments dissed out to the homebush 14.

Even Arnie got on board whether true or not by cancelling his NRMA insurance policy it has been said. Just to put more pressure on us.

ESFC will always be our rivals on and off the field and when their claws come out they like to leave their mark.

I don't agree with whinging to ESFC's sponsors and getting them to cut ties with them

At the end of the day, it's making the sport as a whole worse off

west syd uni, nrma,pepper etc got peppered by numerous butt hurt ESFC fans from facebook,twitter accounts/emails etc complaining about how their company is tied to wsw which is always in the media for the "bad" reasons. If you want to give it then u must be also prepared to take it.

NRMA backed us up and responded by saying they will not cut ties and are happy with the punishments dissed out to the homebush 14.

Even Arnie got on board whether true or not by cancelling his NRMA insurance policy it has been said. Just to put more pressure on us.

ESFC will always be our rivals on and off the field and when their claws come out they like to leave their mark.

Then don't hit out at their sponsors.

Instead write to NRMA/pepper/west Syd uni and tell them how much you appreciate their support of the wanderers and that you currently do, or plan to use their services as a result.

Don't stoop to their level and try to tear down their club. Build ours up instead.

This whole situation has turned stupidly petty with the longer it's gone on. I've been away on holidays this past week and have had a bit of a break from WSW/Aleague related content yet it was still all I heard about.

I didn't even work out what the banner actually was until I got home and went on Facebook. At no point in my interpretation did homophobia cross my mind though. Regardless, it's:

A) 2017 and like it or not, PC is raging in life in general

B) it's risky humour that can either be a big hit or a flaming disaster. So I'm not really sure why it came as such a surprise that people took offence? Those who organised it would've known the risks, don't play dumb.

The RBB post on Monday night was absolutely idiotic. There's taking the piss and then there's being just plain ******* stupid. What that was supposed to achieve I would love to know. You gotta be smart FFS. That was ultimately what blew this up to ridiculous proportions.

The club handed out a punishment to the culprits (that I do think is a bit steep for what was a banner with very debatable interpretations), but they had to be seen to be proactive. I felt they were undermined to an extent by the FFA who then insisted on conducting their own banning process. I'd like to know why that is? Do they not trust WSW? Do they want to be seen to be proactive as well?

Sponsors of WSW started complaining as if JT and the backroom staff had a hand in creating the banner. It's pretty bloody obvious that the club do not condone that sort or any bad behaviour. Considering 95% of people actually talking about this are within the football community, this is hardly going to lose them customers despite whatever opinion anyone may have about it.

Sydney FC complained that they/Arnie weren't apologised to, then continued complaining even when WSW did apologise (on twitter of all places). Then the Cove released a statement that lost all genuine remorse for me the minute they threw in a little dig at us that was just disguised brown nosing.

Of all the media, I've been most disappointed in Fox Sports to be honest. For a few days there they were posting articles every few hours which were highly unnecessary and did nothing but stir the pot in my opinion.

The whole thing has just been one big mess from start to finish and I feel alot of it could've been easily avoided. Just generally disappointing really.

Peeps have short memories.

Smurfs complain about anything & everything.

B7x6-rhCQAEcxov.jpg

When I think about ESFC it's like all the bakeries in east Sydney have left their doors open and the fruitcakes are on the loose,they are currently banding together and calling themselves  "The Cove"

Edited by sonar100

The RBB post on Monday night was absolutely idiotic.

That was ultimately what blew this up to ridiculous proportions.

Disagree. The club had already been asked to show cause. And the media was all over it. That's WHY the RBB released their statement.

Not saying it was smart - at the very least it could have done with a "we didn't intend to offend LGBT" at the start and then go off on the FFA etc - but let's not re-write history here by saying this wasn't an issue until they posted on Facebook. It clearly was.

Disagree. The club had already been asked to show cause. And the media was all over it. That's WHY the RBB released their statement.

Not saying it was smart - at the very least it could have done with a "we didn't intend to offend LGBT" at the start and then go off on the FFA etc - but let's not re-write history here by saying this wasn't an issue until they posted on Facebook. It clearly was.

They would have been better going with the "it's personal responsibility people do what they do, it's not our job to stop them.." otherwise known as the flares defence

Instead they poured petrol on it. As Billy Joel once said "we didn't start the fire it was ... etc"

It was already an issue, for sure, but the "response" ensured it stayed an issue much longer, at a much louder voice, than necessary, and not just from the predictable anti-football types. Put it this way, we can't expect any support on any issues from football types now. The likes of Simon Hill won't be supportive of the next boycott like they were the last one. The bridges have been burned. It also guaranteed punishments, and put the club in a much tougher position. It backed the club right into a corner, where they could do one thing and one thing only.

There are many that probably like this hate though. Anything to convince themselves they are some sort of an establishment victim, even after doing something stupid, completely avoidable and with completely predictable consequences.