Football Media Discussion

The cost for just local players is getting ridiculous too, I payed $300 plus for this season and my club is one of the cheapest in our association. I'd really like to know where that part that doesn't go to my club is actually going.

I pay $400! If I ended up playing futsal during the summer it would've been another $200 on top of that. Ridiculous, but there must be mad bank in registration fees. In Canberra alone there are 12 divisions (not including masters, kids and women) with about 12 teams each. I can only imagine how much rego money there is, let alone in higher population cities like Sydney and Melb.

Your registration invoice breaks down the components. If you fee is around 300+ as an adult then your club will get about 80-90 of it. And then the club still need to pay team registration fees and ground hire. It's why local football is a shambles generally.

Leeches sucking money out and great talents miss out.

Local associations overcharge to feed their rep teams as do the state body who just waste money generally.

What I find particularly shocking is the ridiculous fees parents have to pay in order for their child to even have a chance at making it to the top flight. In the above video Peacock said he pays 1,500 for his son annually.

This is the people's game. The talent coming through should be the best of the best, not the richest.

There's also a shitload of politics that is getting in the way of fostering the genuine talent. I've heard so many stories of who you know or what your name is, overriding how you actually play.

The cost for just local players is getting ridiculous too, I payed $300 plus for this season and my club is one of the cheapest in our association. I'd really like to know where that part that doesn't go to my club is actually going.

My neice pays upwards of $2.5k for her son to play u14 npl1. There must hundreds of talented kids that never get a chance because the parents can't afford it, meanwhile the FFA can give cash handouts to players like Tim Cahill.

I have the utmost respect for what Tim has achieved on the field, especially for the national team, but he is not more important than spending the money on Junior development. Eventually we will struggle to qualify for a WC even with 48 Teams.

Bozza mentioned that there fees were considerably less when he was growing up. Now there at 1.5-2.5k mark. My son is 4 now will i be expected to pay 10k to possibly 20k for the year, in 10 years time, at which point sponsors will come into play??? WTF

Strong words by Rudan, soft excuse by CFO (FFA) to say we'll loose money if we bring in another 2 teams. Completely agree. These guys are so tight with their money that not even a good old cavity search will release any. 

When I was in the youth system registration was around $600, compared to the local association which was around $80-$90. Now, we're talking more than double. Some of that is greedy FFA, the other is the insurance that is needed. Insurers see football as a costly sport, mostly because of the high volumes that play, not the actual risk itself. I've actually seen more hospitalised injuries from netball, than football... *shrugs* 

When I was in the youth system registration was around $600, compared to the local association which was around $80-$90. Now, we're talking more than double. Some of that is greedy FFA, the other is the insurance that is needed. Insurers see football as a costly sport, mostly because of the high volumes that play, not the actual risk itself. I've actually seen more hospitalised injuries from netball, than football... *shrugs*

Add to FFA, state associations like Football NSW who rip parents off as well.

For my son's grassroots club, it is $150 for u11s. Half of is that is club insurance + grounds maintenance + end of season presentation at the ground.

the rest are payments to the Local association, Football NSW and FFA.

And for NSW, that includes Kris Griffiths-Jones salary as head of the NSW Referees

Well that explains why my sons RL registration was almost half his football registration. Insurance companies obviously see RL as a much safer game. :crazy:

The prices are shocking, but parents keep paying it. We keep talking about growing the game, there is so much more room to grow at grassroots if the pricing model was right. I know in Victoria the prices are set, but the whole structure needs a shake up. Countless articles and analysis from Bozza and the link aren't going to fix it.

I can understand the FFA and Football NSW getting some from it, to put back into the game and operationally and so on. They get very little in reality from things like gate receipts and sponsors are minimal. Insurance is a big killer, as are referees fees. But, we have a shortage of referees so the only way to entice many of them is the money.

Perhaps we should look at something where if you're a member of an A-League club the FFA then make you pay a nominal fee for registration. Even if it's just a non-ticketed membership. Could be a way to sort out two issues (player fees and also encouraging younger fans to engage with the A-League).

The insurance is really a con. Unfortunately it is mandated. These would be categorized as 'junk policies'. Like paint protection for example or extended warranties...

All insurance is a con at the end of the day. But you have to have it and all that....

The prices are shocking, but parents keep paying it. We keep talking about growing the game, there is so much more room to grow at grassroots if the pricing model was right. I know in Victoria the prices are set, but the whole structure needs a shake up. Countless articles and analysis from Bozza and the link aren't going to fix it.

I can understand the FFA and Football NSW getting some from it, to put back into the game and operationally and so on. They get very little in reality from things like gate receipts and sponsors are minimal. Insurance is a big killer, as are referees fees. But, we have a shortage of referees so the only way to entice many of them is the money.

Perhaps we should look at something where if you're a member of an A-League club the FFA then make you pay a nominal fee for registration. Even if it's just a non-ticketed membership. Could be a way to sort out two issues (player fees and also encouraging younger fans to engage with the A-League).

i'd change that to "The prices are shocking, but some parents keep paying it"

If it comes down to the crunch for most, high football registration fees will be the first to go in a tight household budget.

The insurance is really a con. Unfortunately it is mandated. These would be categorized as 'junk policies'. Like paint protection for example or extended warranties...

Yet it could be so much more. There's around 450 thousand registered players in Australia.

How many are children (don't qualify for the income replacement)?

How many die from playing football? (other than from heart attacks)

Sounds like money for jam to me!

Maybe FFA as a not for profit organisation should investigate establishing a discretionary mutual fund - if you're going to make us buy pretend insurance at least structure it so that the money doesn't go outside the organisation!

There used to always be a tick box on the form where you said whether or not you were employed. If you said you weren't working you didn't get the income protection component of the insurance and had cheaper rego. Not sure how that works with the current online rego system (still haven't registered for this season, should really do that...).

I agree though that the insurance is rubbish. I had to use it once and the amount I was eligible to claim after private health insurance and medicare was lower than the insurance cost for that season.

The problem is that they don't give you a choice. I don't mind making insurance mandatory but if you were allowed to shop around then the insurers would have to compete and you'd be more likely to get value. Instead some deal is done between the state/district association and an insurer who makes a pile of money from a captive audience.

What's the bet some brown paper bags get passed around during the selection process...

What I find particularly shocking is the ridiculous fees parents have to pay in order for their child to even have a chance at making it to the top flight. In the above video Peacock said he pays 1,500 for his son annually.

This is the people's game. The talent coming through should be the best of the best, not the richest.

There's also a shitload of politics that is getting in the way of fostering the genuine talent. I've heard so many stories of who you know or what your name is, overriding how you actually play.

My neice pays upwards of $2.5k for her son to play u14 npl1. There must hundreds of talented kids that never get a chance because the parents can't afford it, meanwhile the FFA can give cash handouts to players like Tim Cahill.

I have the utmost respect for what Tim has achieved on the field, especially for the national team, but he is not more important than spending the money on Junior development. Eventually we will struggle to qualify for a WC even with 48 Teams.

I agree but what's the point pumping money in youth development if nothing is coming from

It

30 years ago you could probably count the number of academies in Sydney on your hands now there is 100's of them

We produced the golden generation without all these academies now in he last ten years they have come

In where are the superstars?

Football has become the sport private academies profit off

Npl clubs use the sap and youth programs to simply

Keep afloat

The whole system is rotten

If you got a 5 year old kid and he wants to play take him to Brazil or Argentina dump

Him on the steeet come back ans pick him up in 15 years and when he's ready to play

A-League he will be better than any kid we have

And you will save 50k in the process lol

If you got a 5 year old kid and he wants to play take him to Brazil or Argentina dump

Him on the steeet come back ans pick him up in 15 years and when he's ready to play

A-League he will be better than any kid we have

I've often thought that of that idea!

It has cost me a small fortune in academy fees over the years, on top of club registration.

But I'm doing it for my boy.

What I have baulked at is the trips to Spain and England associated with this academy and their affiliated clubs overseas.

I just cannot afford that.

What is true, and someone mentioned it before, is the ******* politics at trying to break into NPL clubs.

Or you could always been a football journalists son who demanded an apology from the RBB about his mate Arnie cause now his son is involved in their youth side after being told by the Mariners hes not good enough to be there.

If your mate gets your son into the teams youth squad then you must also scratch his back when the time arrives.

the ffa should be put under there own salary cap ,you cant tell me gallop is worth 22000 a week ,money  for jam ,all they do is have a cry about supporters ,time to get a boss that will grow the league not ponder and make up excuses why we cannot drive forward [no guts no glory] jobs for the boys, the peoples game 

the ffa should be put under there own salary cap ,you cant tell me gallop is worth 22000 a week ,money for jam ,all they do is have a cry about supporters ,time to get a boss that will grow the league not ponder and make up excuses why we cannot drive forward [no guts no glory] jobs for the boys, the peoples game

Yep he only worth half that at best.

If you want to grow the A-League plus the youth then i think the following approach is required.

1. Change the bench from 5 to 7 with the 2 additional spots reserved for u23 players.

2. Cut the Nix and replace them with an Australian franchise (Wollongong, Canberra, Brisbane, ?).

3. Add 2 clubs next season.

4. Reduce Visa spots to 3+1 in 2019-20 season

4. Add 2 clubs in season 2019-20

Bold

the ffa should be put under there own salary cap ,you cant tell me gallop is worth 22000 a week ,money for jam ,all they do is have a cry about supporters ,time to get a boss that will grow the league not ponder and make up excuses why we cannot drive forward [no guts no glory] jobs for the boys, the peoples game

If you want to grow the A-League plus the youth then i think the following approach is required.

1. Change the bench from 5 to 7 with the 2 additional spots reserved for u23 players.

2. Cut the Nix and replace them with an Australian franchise (Wollongong, Canberra, Brisbane, ?).

Bold

you give gallop the pay cut he deserves, thats a shitload of youth players wages paid.

There used to always be a tick box on the form where you said whether or not you were employed. If you said you weren't working you didn't get the income protection component of the insurance and had cheaper rego. Not sure how that works with the current online rego system (still haven't registered for this season, should really do that...).

I agree though that the insurance is rubbish. I had to use it once and the amount I was eligible to claim after private health insurance and medicare was lower than the insurance cost for that season.

The problem is that they don't give you a choice. I don't mind making insurance mandatory but if you were allowed to shop around then the insurers would have to compete and you'd be more likely to get value. Instead some deal is done between the state/district association and an insurer who makes a pile of money from a captive audience.

What's the bet some brown paper bags get passed around during the selection process...

Yeah I remember those, not sure if there still is as it's all online now.

But, surely they could have an option: If you have your own Private Health Insurance tick yes, your membership fee will be reduced by x-amount.

Bold

you give gallop the pay cut he deserves, thats a shitload of youth players wages paid.

we could probably double the current salary cap aswell.

#tgywywtorunFFA

couldnt agree mroe with hsi statment

“The curriculum, the way we’ve coached our young players; we’ve taught them it’s OK not to win. That is completely wrong.

also serious issues when youth teams are instructed not to play with the offside rule at a young age, that does my head in i will never understand that it is one of the most crucial rules in football and is a foundation for how the game si played.

having coached youth last season i can say with out a shadow of a doubt he is right there is serious issues with the way youth is being treated coached and managed.

to register as an all age man or a team in the bdsfa my cost was $279. the breakdown was:

$25 to ffa, same as last year

$78 to football nsw, increase on last year

$74 to bdsfa, increase on last year

$97 to the club, actually decrease on last year.

I have no issues with the money going to the club. But the rest are ridiculous, especially considering the absolute shambles bdsfa ran with writing off the spartans debt.

Irrespective of salary, I think the real issue is whether these individuals are value for money. Most CEO's are capable of growing their market share and profitability, and to a degree justify their entitlements. If I get paid $1m a year but add $200m to the bottom line then shareholders tend to be happy.

I personally think David is completely out of his depth. If you digest his CV it's clear to see he is an administrator - not a business developer, hence anything that relates to growing or maintaining market share appears to get delayed and is overwhelming audit based. This coupled with the fact that he has no underlying association with football as a player, coach, manager, sports coordinator means he has no motivation to succeed but simply have a tenure. Have a look at the CEO for netball Australia as an example, and how they are evolving.

David also struggles with sports management within an open market. Not to offend but the NRL for example is a closed market. There is no world cup, because the sport is played professionally in a handfull of countries. It's easy to be world champions when the 'world' consists of only 2 or 3 competitive countries. It's as farcical as the baseball world series played only in the US. Rant.

David's golden ladder was also provided care of News limited, hence negotiations pertaining to FTA could be construed as a conflict of interest. But we all know how the system works.

At the end of the day the underlying issue with the sport at the moment seems to be whom are the shareholders. If David continues to see his shareholders as club owners or his board and not that of every single registration paying member then I think we'll see the sport implode on itself within the next few years.

I'd be curious to know whom the forum would employ into the role? Is something I've struggled with... someone whom has a real passion for the game, but at the same time a real heavy hitter. Thoughts?

to register as an all age man or a team in the bdsfa my cost was $279. the breakdown was:

I have no issues with the money going to the club. But the rest are ridiculous, especially considering the absolute shambles bdsfa ran with writing off the spartans debt.

$280?? with what club, i play in the blacktown district and my rego is $330.

how do you find the break down of your rego?

when you pay online, there is a 'breakdown' option. you literally click on that small tab and it brings up another window with it.

also my registration fees do not include ref fees

Edited by mltezr

when you pay online, there is a 'breakdown' option. you literally click on that small tab and it brings up another window with it.

also my registration fees do not include ref fees

ahh yeah i never even noticed the breakdown option because i play at the club, plus reffs fees are included with our rego so that probs explains the difference :good: 

Irrespective of salary, I think the real issue is whether these individuals are value for money. Most CEO's are capable of growing their market share and profitability, and to a degree justify their entitlements. If I get paid $1m a year but add $200m to the bottom line then shareholders tend to be happy.

Actually..... adding $200M to the bottom line doesn't necessarily cut it for Shareholders if:

- Earnings were projected greater than $200M increase,

- Earnings per share drops

- Cash goes back wards

Point is, there's a lot that can be misrepresented by a guy in a suit that lacks integrity.

Need to dig deeper with Crony Capitalsim.