Football Media Discussion

South Sydney FC bid announced with $12million initial backing plus promises to build own boutique football stadium..

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/03/06/south-sydney-league-bid-announced

Watch the bid criteria appear shortly...

more like FFA to announce = we'd like to announce South Sydney as our 1st team approved for Expansion in 17/18

South Sydney FC bid announced with $12million initial backing plus promises to build own boutique football stadium..

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/03/06/south-sydney-league-bid-announced

Wollongong Wolves needs to stand on it's own, a greater Southern Sydney team won't fly with the Gong locals even if they do play a few games down there. 

Edited by WSWBoro

A southern Sydney team that will represent everyone from Cronulla through to Hobart by the time they try and pump up their tyres about how inclusive it's catchment area is. Or should I say CORRIDOR!!! Yawn. How unimaginative and boring.

Give it a couple of seasons and they'll struggle to pull more than 10k on average cause they're playing out of several stadiums and 'locals' are treated to 2-3 local home games a season.

Southern Sydney travelling circus - inclusive of all, home side to none.

Yeah, the Gong should definitely not be part of that. As if ppl from there are going to make the trek to Cronulla or Kogarah for all the other games. 

Just make it a South Sydney team (I don't think they should be at the top of the list, but at this point beggars can't be choosers) and chuck both them and the Gong in, then one from Victoria and let Red Bull buy a Gold Coast team or something. Bang, 14 teams, home and away season. 

I think you are underestimating Les and Fozz. Sure agree or disagree with them, like them or not but they definitely love this game. Undeniably.

Everyone is a cynic, it's the easy option. But as a true WSW fan i wish them every success because I love the game and want it to succeed in Oz. **** the egg ball codes....

Edited by beatsurrender

if sutho ,st george ,wollongong ,fans want to have their own team here it is, get on board, This is your chance to show you can unite and built your club , This will happen with sir les murray,lyle gorman, craig foster,on board and the smart football loving owners who have the ability to float this club ,Talking about building a purpose built ground is whats needed and good luck to them 

"However, as we have consistently said, individual bids – even well-funded ones – do not address the operating and contractual costs faced by FFA and therefore they do not make expansion instantly viable on their own.

"There is no point in having a well-funded club working in one geographical area if other clubs are not seeing any benefit or indeed are expected to see the funding model diluted."

Wot...

"However, as we have consistently said, individual bids – even well-funded ones – do not address the operating and contractual costs faced by FFA and therefore they do not make expansion instantly viable on their own.

"There is no point in having a well-funded club working in one geographical area if other clubs are not seeing any benefit or indeed are expected to see the funding model diluted."

Wot...

LOLOLOL

These guys clearly have to go. What the above confirms is that they've been operating with the wrong model all along. If you can't add financially viable teams to the league because "the funding model will be diluted" then you should have know the model was broken A VERY LONG TIME AGO. While they were sprouting off to us about potentially 16 teams with some in regional areas last November / December, they should have already done the numbers.

I assume what they mean is that they give the clubs a grant, and it comes from the tv deal. So if you add more teams, that fund gets divided up more. What I can't see, and maybe a finance person can help here, is why they would be diluting the funding if they were adding teams. Surely the tv deal would go up accordingly?

At the moment the clubs get $2.5m per year. And that was under the old deal of $40m per year, which included Socceroos. Even if there are additional costs to two teams on top of the yearly grant, surely the tv deal should cover this? You've already increased the tv deal to $54m per year, so you're playing with an extra $14m per year already. And if you went to 12 teams and still played 3 times each, that is a 47% increase on the amount of games played through the year! If you can't afford two new teams when you've just increased the funding by over $14m per year and two new teams would mean even more games, you've got massive problems.

A South Sydney team will all but destroy all hopes of Wolves coming into the A-League prior to any pro/rel.

I've seen a lot of comments on all the TWG articles on FB with "Wolves or nothing" or something along that effect.

Its a different market.

Seems Les Murray is trying to bring back St George Budapest in JW's memory.

edit: WSW will have no rivalry with this team. But SFC def will.

Edited by Erebus

A South Sydney team will all but destroy all hopes of Wolves coming into the A-League prior to any pro/rel.

I've seen a lot of comments on all the TWG articles on FB with "Wolves or nothing" or something along that effect.

Its a different market.

Seems Les Murray is trying to bring back St George Budapest in JW's memory.

edit: WSW will have no rivalry with this team. But SFC def will.

But the FFA think they will have a rivalry with us just because it's Sydney.

I'd prefer a Wollongong team (not necessarily the Wolves imo a new franchise/club to unify the region) plus it's about an hour from my house to WIN stadium.

Edited by Paul01

I assume what they mean is that they give the clubs a grant, and it comes from the tv deal. So if you add more teams, that fund gets divided up more. What I can't see, and maybe a finance person can help here, is why they would be diluting the funding if they were adding teams. Surely the tv deal would go up accordingly?

I think this paragraph you wrote was probably heading in the right direction.

Let's make assumptions here because, hey, that's what we do. I'm making an assumption that Gallop and co did not put any caveats into the tv deal with Fox that would increase funding to the A-League should more teams enter the competition, hence why he's saying that funding would be diluted.

Apparently, the potential southern expansion team has put forward a $20 million bank guarantee as stated by Craig Foster on TWG podcast. He indicated that there is potential for "independent" A-League (imo semi-independent) to have this a criteria going forward. Imagine how that would affect the Mariners and the Nix. From what I've heard Perth's owner is a tighta*** as well.

Edited by Paul01

Let's make assumptions here because, hey, that's what we do. I'm making an assumption that Gallop and co did not put any caveats into the tv deal with Fox that would increase funding to the A-League should more teams enter the competition, hence why he's saying that funding would be diluted.

Have to agree. Appears to be no incremental revenue adjustment by way of additional clubs entering the competition. This would explain delay for expansion. What a major contractual f... up. This is one of those situations where commercial lawyers go "oh sh_t". Finger pointing begins. So inevitably the FFA would need to pass on a tariff to new entrants that would need to cover dilution of FTA fund distribution.

Hey. What's the story about this NYRB/Salzburg rumour of ownership. Our owners don't appear to like spending money, and Dietrich is worth about 15 billion. I say sell.

Have to agree. Appears to be no incremental revenue adjustment by way of additional clubs entering the competition. This would explain delay for expansion. What a major contractual f... up. This is one of those situations where commercial lawyers go "oh sh_t". Finger pointing begins. So inevitably the FFA would need to pass on a tariff to new entrants that would need to cover dilution of FTA fund distribution.

Hey. What's the story about this NYRB/Salzburg rumour of ownership. Our owners don't appear to like spending money, and Dietrich is worth about 15 billion. I say sell.

Unless you want it to be the Red Bull Bloc then probably best we give it a miss

this idea has me like

giphy.gif

ESFC would be mightily "p'd" off if a South Sydney consortium gets up. They consider that area theirs.

They llike to.

Reality is this is a Eurosnob stronghold that the Smurfs rarely infect

Wolves CEO Chris Papakosmas discusses the Wollongong / Illawarra stand alone bid & responds to Southern Expansion bid 

https://audioboom.com/posts/5680199-wollongong-wolves-ceo-chris-papakosmas-on-the-daily-football-show

Les Murray discusses the Southern Expansion bid on Monday

https://audioboom.com/posts/5676011-les-murray-on-southern-expansion

Wolves CEO Chris Papakosmas discusses the Wollongong / Illawarra stand alone bid & responds to Southern Expansion bid 

https://audioboom.com/posts/5680199-wollongong-wolves-ceo-chris-papakosmas-on-the-daily-football-show

Stole this and responded in expansion thread.

Stole this and responded in expansion thread.

Probably where I should have posted it in the 1st place

Chris Papakosmas and the Wolves have burnt too many bridges with people in the Gong. Plus Chris has no idea about football.

If Wollongong were to have a team on their own then it will have to be entirely a new entity for ANY chance of it to be viable in the A League.

Furthermore of evidence of the Wolves burning bridges with the local community, the Wolves jumped into Kemblawarra Dapto Fury FC home ground and have left the Fury homeless and renting Macedonia Park for the year.

Albert Butler Park (formerly Furys home ground) was lost due to the Portuguese club closing down. The Portuguese club had the lease to the ground, which is owned by an Aboriginal group, and lost it once the club was forced close due to bad business. The Aboriginies put a tender out and the Wolves jumped in behind the Furys back creating further rift between the Wolves and the community.

Worth a listen

Certainly takes a different view to the Vic NPL bods.  Reality probably is somewhere in the middle but Ising is absolutely right that this isn't about youth development or the betterment of the game.  The best I can summarise the situation is with the words of my 2 year old grand daughter.  "Me too Grandpa".  There is a need for expansion of the A-League.  There is the need for a fair pathway to it.  There is the need for the provision of funding for the NPL and the grassroots but what is proposed does virtually nothing to achieve any of that.  

If I was in the FFA making the decisions I would get the A-League clubs organisation, the new NPL clubs organisation, the State Feds and the PFA together and say we need to plan where we go in the future together and throw $250k+ on the table and say we will form a combined Task Force with the role of steering a professional review by suitable consultants of where we are, where we want to be, what models are available to get there, what are our financial constraints, what stages can it be split into, how much is needed to progress to each stage etc.  The report would be available to each of the stakeholder groups with care in dealing with any in-confidence material and it would need to be available for the Board to consider after the Board is added to at the AGM in November.  The Tas United study cost $110k so I reckon $250k at least would be needed for such an important and exhaustive report.