mack

Football Media Discussion

There is no 'vision' (yes I used the word) for the game. If you don't really want Phoenix in the competition long term, get rid of them now. What is the point of going through 4 years of uncertainty. Why would you turn up if you were a Phoenix supporter?

It's like Gallop is just holding out until he gets a gig somewhere else. He doesn't really explain anything about how he sees the league in 10 years time.

What are the important markets? Do we need more city derbies in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth? Or maybe more teams in NSW? Will NPL teams be allowed to apply to join? It's all just vague and changes from year to year.

This whole league is on borrowed time.

And people used to say the nsl was mismanaged.

What killed the NSL was the generational change over time in migrant families and the stigma attached to football being a game in this country only for wogs. What will bring down the A-league (if it comes to that) will be the media and the stigma attached to football being a game for hooligans and thugs.

When Wanderers first came into the league in 2012 the rights would have been worth a lot more. That was mostly because the media was positive about the game and reported mostly on the onfield issues. Things have changed over the years..

The media has always hated football. 7 screwed the NSL over, they have always reported it as a game for a bunch of crazy wogs.

Also the current stigma of football being for hooligans is the largely same racist crap as before.

UNSW just spent $25million on consultants.... FFA spent $500, 000 on consultants. Consultants are a waste of money for little gain

Is the A League still on? You wouldn't know flicking through the papers or the online news. No mention of our game in news.com or smh online.

As a game we have no chance with zero mainstream coverage. For some reason rugby union always gets column space

I stopped reading any newspapers long ago. I looked at the Telegraph about 2 months ago and football was 11 pages from the back page, NRL wasn't even in season?

Is the A League still on? You wouldn't know flicking through the papers or the online news. No mention of our game in news.com or smh online.

As a game we have no chance with zero mainstream coverage. For some reason rugby union always gets column space

we have main stream...i am seeing reports of aloisi throwing a punch every were :good:

P.S Brisbane better ******* getting a $50k fine and 3 points deducted...******* hooligans

Union has a lot of connections at the big end of town, so they'll always get some column space even though the average person doesn't really care all that much.

Union has a lot of connections at the big end of town, so they'll always get some column space even though the average person doesn't really care all that much.

All the expensive male private schools (Kings etc) have a rugby program.

Hence the networking that goes with rugby Union.

Aspro went to Newington and they tried to convert him but he stood fast.

Edited by Paul01

Physical newspapers are a joke when it comes to football coverage. Like stavup said, even in thugby off-season the sport section is dominated by union and league.

I find it funny that Serbian newspapers published in Australia have more A league coverage than general newspapers.

Perth local news Channel 10 will show the EPL no problem but won't show any A League action.

Football is ok as long as it's overseas, if it's here then that doesn't sit well with them.

Newington's down the street from me. Hardely call that a rar-rar stronghold in Stanmore. From what ive heard they have some strong football ties. Now Riverview etc, are definites' but agree its definitely top end of town networks in law and nanking that keeps ruggers front and centre in the media.

Newington's down the street from me. Hardely call that a rar-rar stronghold in Stanmore. From what ive heard they have some strong football ties. Now Riverview etc, are definites' but agree its definitely top end of town networks in law and nanking that keeps ruggers front and centre in the media.
Newingtons a rar rar school for sure, when they play one of the north shore private schools I can't park in my street for 4 wheel drive Lexus,

I remember they got a bit of stick for flying their team to rugby tournament (I'll save my outrage if that for the now defunct politics thread)

we must be almost neighbours

I did hear they have a decent soccer program too though

Edited by StringerBellend

Newingtons a rar rar school for sure, when they play one of the north shore private schools I can't park in my street for 4 wheel drive Lexus,

In rugby circles they're worried about the impact that football is having on the rah-rah schools. It used to be they'd field 7-8 rugby teams per age group and 1-2 for football but in a lot of them it's flipping or flipped already.

Thing is, the people in control of media outlets and businesses etc, they're still from the old generation. In 20-30 years it will be different. Well. 10 maybe. I forgot about daddy's little f-wit being parachuted in to the board.

I remember they got a bit of stick for flying their team to rugby tournament (I'll save my outrage if that for the now defunct politics thread)

Edgeware Road. I call everything down the street though. 5 mins now but once westconnex is complete it'll be a 45min drive. Yeah, I've seen them tout man u and blancos clinics but I don't know what thats worth.

Some private schools struggling to field competitive teams due to increase in ratio of Asian students who don't play union, which is resulting in lop sided scores.

Some private schools struggling to field competitive teams due to increase in ratio of Asian students who don't play union, which is resulting in lop sided scores.

sauce????

sauce????

Sriracha

sauce????

Sriracha

Heard that from an old school friend who sent his boy to Sydney Grammar.

They have to offer sports scholarships now.

Edgeware Road. I call everything down the street though. 5 mins now but once westconnex is complete it'll be a 45min drive. Yeah, I've seen them tout man u and blancos clinics but I don't know what thats worth.

Another for the inner west hipster active subgroup then

sauce????

Read it in an article few years back. I can't find it anymore, but found this instead:

www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nsw-gps-its-changed-again/amp/

NSW GPS – It’s Changed Again

LEE GRANT

27 OCT 2012

Last week it was confirmed that the NSW GPS 1st and 2nd XV competitions in 2013 will involve just six schools:

Newington College

St Ignatius College (Riverview)

St Joseph’s College (Joeys)

Sydney Church of England Grammar (Shore)

The King’s School

The Scots College

The schools will play two rounds, home and away, and play just one trial game before that.

What are the other GPS schools doing?

Their 1st XVs will play in a competition with the 3rd XVs of the other six schools.

Sydney Boys High School (High)

High was already playing in the 3rd XV competition. It had withdrawn from the 1st XV comp in 2008 after interest in the sport had dropped, as it had in other selective schools outside the GPS.

In 1983 21 rugby teams ran on every Saturday for High, but by 2008 the ethnicity profile of its boys had changed. That year only 32 boys registered for open rugby, compared to 79 for soccer. It hadn’t won a Ones game since 2001 and after a flogging by Joeys 112-0 in Round 1, High forfeited the other 2008 games to protect the lads from injury.

After 106 years the school that produced great Wallabies John Thornett and Peter Johnson, and Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer, withdrew from the 1st XV competition.

High is the only public school in the GPS and selects its students on an academic basis. Alumni have criticised the school for taking such a narrow view on enrolment. As “Steve†said on the SHS Old Boys Union website:

What a disgrace that GPS tradition and history has been sacrificed for the last 15 years to focus on academic intake which was always well above average in terms of HSC results in the first place.

Lol. What a disgrace that a school focuses on academic intake instead of potential rugby players...

Perth local news Channel 10 will show the EPL no problem but won't show any A League action.

Football is ok as long as it's overseas, if it's here then that doesn't sit well with them.

Isn't Perth basically part of western Europe? It's so far from the rest of Australia (sarcasm)

Lol. What a disgrace that a school focuses on academic intake instead of potential rugby players...

FFS it's a publically funded selective ACADEMIC high school, for every kid that gets selected because they can put their head down and run a ball up, a kid who has the academic ability misses out.

Edited by Johnno

Interesting article on sports participation.

Football appears to be on the up while most other team sports seem to be on the way down or stagnating. You take this sort of research / study with a grain of salt but still, it'll be interesting to see if any media outlets report on it or if some of the other sports begin to produce "different" statistics of their own:

http://www.bandt.com.au/marketing/study-aussies-playing-less-sport-soccers-participation-soars

Not just the trends but that fact that football is number one in terms of total participants doesn't seem to be getting the attention it should be.

Considering how much money is spent advertising and trying to entice people into playing cricket, AFL and rugby league, football is dominating all of them and pulling away.

Not just the trends but that fact that football is number one in terms of total participants doesn't seem to be getting the attention it should be.

Considering how much money is spent advertising and trying to entice people into playing cricket, AFL and rugby league, football is dominating all of them and pulling away.

We need MSM media like Fox Sports to highlight this.

Proportionally, the amount of government funding (at all levels) into football and netball is disgusting. Both sports are the highest (by a massive margin) in terms of participation and receive very little from governments. The power of MSM hey? But, you know, Stanhope Gardens which has a football team that has outgrown our fields would love a new field to use... oh look some massive space next to Council-owned leisure centre... let's build dozens of tennis courts for Tennis NSW instead that never get used... or better yet, why not have 4 softball fields that also never get used... but stick with your two football fields and one cricket oval (when 50% population is Indian-background).

Proportionally, the amount of government funding (at all levels) into football and netball is disgusting. Both sports are the highest (by a massive margin) in terms of participation and receive very little from governments. The power of MSM hey? But, you know, Stanhope Gardens which has a football team that has outgrown our fields would love a new field to use... oh look some massive space next to Council-owned leisure centre... let's build dozens of tennis courts for Tennis NSW instead that never get used... or better yet, why not have 4 softball fields that also never get used... but stick with your two football fields and one cricket oval (when 50% population is Indian-background).

ANU built two synthetic pitches for ANU Fc but the university hockey and cricket clubs wanted in on the action. Thus, the football pitches are not regulation size and have hockey markings all over it and that thing that cricket players run around in the middle, but they never ******* use the thing.

Also the football club has been around since the 60's and has no changing room facilities,but the bogan rules club founded by ANU 3 years or so ago already has its own pitch with a large changing room building with toilets.

on the fading strength of union - sydney boys high is still a strong sporting school - they are VERY strong in basketball. the kids and their families that make it in there though couldn't give a toss about union any more, that is what has changed.

Edited by lloydy136