Football Media Discussion

Always enjoy the Roundtable.

Very Interesting to hear lowe's comments about how he believe the key to be beating us is and how they tried is denying ball to our Spainards - it's pretty obvious but at the same time hearing him breaking it down was insightful

Peacock cockhead and bozza picked adl

Miller and Lowe picked WSW

I'd go with coaches over media tips any day :-)

I enjoyed the roundtable more this week because of the coaches representing.

The bit aboutbthe physical strength of the wanderers team was interesting, and the luxury of bringing quality off the bench.

Its clear they all think Castelan is a key. Adelaide have tended to double team him with a 3rd guy just behind them in case he skins them.

Wanderers fans use planes, trains and automobiles to get to game

• THE AUSTRALIAN
  • APRIL 28, 2016 12:00AM
  • SAVE
  • PRINT
  •  
    ports reporter
    Sydney

Photo of Pablo 

A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do, especially if he is a passionate football fan desperate to see his team play, and hopefully win, a grand final.

That’s why it is a case of trains and boats (probably unlikely at this stage) and planes with a few cars thrown in as tales emerge of desperate Western Sydney fans scrambling to find any means of transport to get to Sunday’s A-League season decider against ­Adelaide United at Adelaide Oval.

Some airlines have put on extra flights for Sunday or will upgrade to bigger planes, but it won’t be nearly enough to cope with the huge demand for seats, meaning some fans will be disappointed.

The Wanderers have more than 17,000 members — second only to Melbourne Victory — and expect to have as many as 10,000 at the game as the club attempts to win their first A-League championship.

But the lack of flights and the steep cost of airfares, upwards of $900 to fly there on Sunday, has left the red and black faithful searching for different travelling options. Car pooling and driving to ­Adelaide seems to be a preferred option for a number of fans, while others are hiring mini-vans, ­campers or coaches.

One group will drive to Newcastle and fly from there to Adelaide and there are some who are going as far as Cairns to get a connecting flight to Adelaide.

Diehard Pablo Bateson has followed the Wanderers around Australia and overseas. He was one of a handful of fans in Riyadh in Saudi Arabia in 2014 to watch them win the Asian Champions League final against Al-Hilal.

Bateson, a football blogger, will go on a near 24-hour odyssey to see his team play in the grand final.

Starting at 7pm on Friday, he will leave home to catch the 8.30pm XPT from Sydney’s Central station, arriving in Melbourne at 7.30 on Saturday morning.

He will then board The Overland, departing at 8am and arriving in Adelaide at 6pm on Saturday night.

If all goes to plan, it will cost him $200 all up, though he will lash out on a return flight to Sydney, ­having secured an upgraded ­business-class seat home on Monday “and hopefully celebrate with a champagneâ€.

“This is what football is all about,†Bateson told The Aust­ralian. “You follow your team everywhere.

“Football travels are amazing experiences and a huge part of following the Wanderers.

“To be in Riyadh was something very special.â€

Another fan, Ernst Meyer, went as far as exploring the idea of chartering a 15- or 20-seater flight from Bankstown, leaving on Sunday morning and returning Sunday night. However, the cost, upwards of $1400 a head, proved too much.

Instead, he will fork out $930 for a return flight on Sunday, getting up at 4am to get to the airport to fly to Melbourne then on to ­Adelaide to watch the game before getting back to Sydney at 8pm.

“The trip is going to cost me more than the flight to the game in Wellington a couple of weeks ago, and that included two nights’ accommodation,†he said. “Why do I feel somewhat ripped off?

“After what they did last Sunday, not going was not an option. I just cannot withhold my support from the team.â€

Note: I couldn't post the photo of Pablo outside Parra Town Hall attached to the story 

The bit aboutbthe physical strength of the wanderers team was interesting, and the luxury of bringing quality off the bench.

Its clear they all think Castelan is a key. Adelaide have tended to double team him with a 3rd guy just behind them in case he skins them.

Excellent wasn't it Miller and Lowe spoke very well. I'm now a Lowe fan his insights were great. When asked the first thing you think about playing Wanderers he was very quick to say Castelan.

Wanderers fans use planes, trains and automobiles to get to game

• THE AUSTRALIAN
  • APRIL 28, 2016 12:00AM
  • SAVE
  • PRINT
  •  

Ray Gatt

ports reporter

Sydney

Photo of Pablo

A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do, especially if he is a passionate football fan desperate to see his team play, and hopefully win, a grand final.

That’s why it is a case of trains and boats (probably unlikely at this stage) and planes with a few cars thrown in as tales emerge of desperate Western Sydney fans scrambling to find any means of transport to get to Sunday’s A-League season decider against ­Adelaide United at Adelaide Oval.

Some airlines have put on extra flights for Sunday or will upgrade to bigger planes, but it won’t be nearly enough to cope with the huge demand for seats, meaning some fans will be disappointed.

The Wanderers have more than 17,000 members — second only to Melbourne Victory — and expect to have as many as 10,000 at the game as the club attempts to win their first A-League championship.

But the lack of flights and the steep cost of airfares, upwards of $900 to fly there on Sunday, has left the red and black faithful searching for different travelling options. Car pooling and driving to ­Adelaide seems to be a preferred option for a number of fans, while others are hiring mini-vans, ­campers or coaches.

One group will drive to Newcastle and fly from there to Adelaide and there are some who are going as far as Cairns to get a connecting flight to Adelaide.

Diehard Pablo Bateson has followed the Wanderers around Australia and overseas. He was one of a handful of fans in Riyadh in Saudi Arabia in 2014 to watch them win the Asian Champions League final against Al-Hilal.

Bateson, a football blogger, will go on a near 24-hour odyssey to see his team play in the grand final.

Starting at 7pm on Friday, he will leave home to catch the 8.30pm XPT from Sydney’s Central station, arriving in Melbourne at 7.30 on Saturday morning.

He will then board The Overland, departing at 8am and arriving in Adelaide at 6pm on Saturday night.

If all goes to plan, it will cost him $200 all up, though he will lash out on a return flight to Sydney, ­having secured an upgraded ­business-class seat home on Monday “and hopefully celebrate with a champagneâ€.

“This is what football is all about,†Bateson told The Aust­ralian. “You follow your team everywhere.

“Football travels are amazing experiences and a huge part of following the Wanderers.

“To be in Riyadh was something very special.â€

Another fan, Ernst Meyer, went as far as exploring the idea of chartering a 15- or 20-seater flight from Bankstown, leaving on Sunday morning and returning Sunday night. However, the cost, upwards of $1400 a head, proved too much.

Instead, he will fork out $930 for a return flight on Sunday, getting up at 4am to get to the airport to fly to Melbourne then on to ­Adelaide to watch the game before getting back to Sydney at 8pm.

“The trip is going to cost me more than the flight to the game in Wellington a couple of weeks ago, and that included two nights’ accommodation,†he said. “Why do I feel somewhat ripped off?

“After what they did last Sunday, not going was not an option. I just cannot withhold my support from the team.â€

Note: I couldn't post the photo of Pablo outside Parra Town Hall attached to the story

Who's this Ernest guy? :)

Very Interesting to hear lowe's comments about how he believe the key to be beating us is and how they tried is denying ball to our Spainards - it's pretty obvious but at the same time hearing him breaking it down was insightful

I thought it was really interesting when he was talking about how they will still receive the ball with players on them, which enables them to make passes back followed by quick passes forward into space.

It's something that always astounds me about Barca. So often they make a pass to a guy who looks covered, and you wonder what they're doing, only for a turn or a quick return pass to open something up.

Excellent wasn't it Miller and Lowe spoke very well. I'm now a Lowe fan his insights were great. When asked the first thing you think about playing Wanderers he was very quick to say Castelan

Had to laugh at Lowe...you put up with Castelan for 75 mins, then comes Vidosic!

I've always liked Kenny, but I found Scott Miller to be very interesting as well...both had some great points and some excellent insights. Them and Ernie Merrick are about the only rival coaches I can actually stomach

Edited by Horus

Also loved Scott Miller's reference to the Wanderers fans entering under the stands at Newcastle during the players warm-up.

Where did he say that?

Yeah he said that when they were waiting in the changing rooms to come out they could hear the RBB

That switch from 7:30am arrival in Melbourne to 8am Overland... could be tough

When I took the train down to Melbourne, my train arrived at 9:30am.

I have a plan B contingency if XPT arrives too late for connection

Later V-Line train to Bendigo then guaranteed coach connection through to Adelaide arriving 7-50pm

Happy travels to all!

How Hillsborough changed English football forever

·      MARTIN ZIEGLER

·      THE TIMES

English football changed forever after Hillsborough. It was the fifth disaster at British football grounds in the 20th century, and the second that decade, but it was only then that laws were brought in that fundamentally altered the sport.

It would be remembered as the blackest day in British sport and, on Tuesday, a jury ruled that the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed. Jurors concluded that policing decisions at the ill-fated match in 1989 “caused or contributed†to the deaths, and amounted to “gross negligenceâ€.

Lord Justice Taylor’s report that followed the disaster led to all top-flight football clubs being made to change their grounds to all-seater stadiums: standing terraces were banned and the spike-topped fences that had kept fans off the pitch were scrapped.

The impact was dramatic — not only was the risk to fans reduced but the whole experience of watching football changed. Hooliganism, the curse of the English game, dwindled and almost died out. Women and fans from all backgrounds started coming to matches in numbers.

In the decade before Hills-­borough, attending a football match was a salutary experience. The grounds were often shambolic relics of a previous age, with little attention paid to the safety or comfort for the paying public. As for cleanliness, a visit to the toilet was enough to convince anyone of the absence of godliness.

Shaven-headed National Front supporters selling their news­papers outside the turnstiles were a common sight. Inside the ground, it was undeniably exciting: you were part of a visceral mass of singing, chanting bodies and you could find yourself lifted off the ground and propelled down the terraces in a tangle of arms and legs when the crowd surged at an exciting moment on the pitch.

There were ugly aspects to it too: racist abuse was not the preserve of a minority — at some clubs huge swathes of supporters would join in the racist barracking of black players. There was also the lingering scent of suppressed ­violence in the air, and visiting fans were corralled by police and marched en masse to trains and coaches.

Lord Taylor’s report and the removal of the standing terraces coincided with the beginning of the Premier League in 1992. Clubs realised that they could put up the price of tickets and make more money from supporters and corporate hospitality, but the flip side was they had to treat them as paying customers rather than riff-raff.

Racist abuse was outlawed, and banning orders on hooligans kept them out of grounds. Meanwhile, clubs invested in hiring large numbers of stewards instead of relying on police. There is plenty of nostalgia now for pre-Hillsborough days, fuelled in large part by the price of tickets. The cheapest tickets for top clubs are now often 10 times what they were in 1989, with fans’ groups saying that traditional supporters have been priced out.

There is also a campaign to allow safe-standing areas, such as those used in Germany, in English stadiums. That is opposed, however, by the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

Also loved Scott Miller's reference to the Wanderers fans entering under the stands at Newcastle during the players warm-up.

Where did he say that?

Yeah he said that when they were waiting in the changing rooms to come out they could hear the RBB

Just like La Bombonera!

Us and Boca, peas in a pod.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers/aleague-grand-final-2016-western-sydney-wanderers-coach-tony-popovic-if-we-can-perform-to-our-maximum-i-expect-us-to-win-20160428-gohcq7.html

Very Good interview with the Manager Tony Popovic

For what it's worth I think there should be Premiership Medals presented for the team that wins the Premiers Plate and for the team that wins the Championship trophy they should be presented with Championship rings.

Edited by FCWanderers

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers/aleague-grand-final-2016-western-sydney-wanderers-coach-tony-popovic-if-we-can-perform-to-our-maximum-i-expect-us-to-win-20160428-gohcq7.html

Very Good interview with the Manager Tony Popovic

For what it's worth I think there should be Premiership Medals presented for the team that wins the Premiers Plate and for the team that wins the Championship trophy they should be presented with Championship rings.

Why not Championship Belts?

Another lesson that rang true for the budding coaches was Postecoglou's path back into the A-League.

"Not an overly social character", Postecoglou was desperate to get another crack at coaching in 2009, which he spent as an expert commentator.

Walking through a car park after an A-League match, he saw the competition's then CEO, Archie Fraser, and decided to step out of his comfort zone and call out to him.

He told Fraser he wanted a coaching job and believed he would be a success, and Fraser told him the league had him in mind.

The next day Brisbane Roar coach Frank Farina was suspended indefinitely after being charged with drink-driving. Two days later Postecoglou was appointed as his replacement.

"I wonder if I would have got the job – and eventually the Socceroos job – if I hadn't stepped out of my comfort zone," Postecoglou said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-29/coaching-a-ruthless-friendless-and-lonely-place-postecoglou

Interesting story about how Ange Postecoglou got a foot back into the coaching caper.

Free-to-air TV rights on A-League agenda

By AAP

Football Federation Australia chairman Steven Lowy has given an arresting forecast of the sport's broadcast value, signalling he wants the next deal to maximise free-to-air exposure.

Despite an improvement in on-field standards, the A-League's growth has curtailed this season, lacklustre marketing and a poor free-to-air television deal with SBS seen as the chief issues.

Lowy, who attended Melbourne Victory's grand final luncheon on Friday, called the current SBS deal an "unsatisfactory free-to-air arrangement right now that must change".

But it's unlikely to change in time for next season, given the current deal would need to be re-negotiated with subscription broadcaster Fox Sports.

Lowy revealed a group of FFA board members, with club representatives from Melbourne City and Sydney FC, have begun initial work on the next broadcast agreement.

Previously, FFA were set on doubling their current annual $40 million windfall for its package of Socceroos and A-League broadcast rights in a new deal.

But Lowy has scrapped those hopes, not wanting to benchmark himself by statements made by the previous administration.

"We need to dispel any monetary expectations," he said.

"There's a market out there and our job is to get the best deal in that market."

Lowy's broadcast mantra - at least for the next deal - is to find the best fit to grow the game, not just FFA's bank balance.

"An objective is to maximise the revenue for the game but also having a very important eye on how and who can impact and grow the game with us," he said.

The governing body will cast the net far and wide searching for the best deal, meeting with representatives beyond the traditional broadcasting sphere.

That includes telco Optus, who signed broadcast rights to the English Premier League starting next season from Fox Sports.

With less than six months until the beginning of the 12th A-League season, Lowy downplayed the suggestion a deal could be done to shift games from SBS before then.

"We want to have it done as soon as possible but we won't compromise the process," he said.

"It would only be possible with the cooperation of Fox Sports. We'll have a serious discussion with Fox."

©AAP2016

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/04/29/16/36/free-to-air-tv-rights-on-a-league-agenda