Football Media Discussion

So, how do we define a Eurosnob?

If you follow the A-League but watch European football, are you still a Eurosnob?

Or, is it just those that dismiss local football and ONLY watch European football? What if you dislike local football, but watch the MLS?

Hmmm....

The second one

The third one might make you a football hipster

There's a difference between a eurosnob and someone who is just genuinely more interested in European football.

Eurosnobs put more effort into bagging the aleague (mostly without having even watched a full game before) than they do following their precious European team who's city they're still yet to visit.

Let people support who ever they want. 

As I said in the EPL thread, you can't artificially create passion, even though FFA thinks it can.

I hate this term eurosnob, a lot of them identified with the european teams because a-league wasn't even around. I have watched Liverpool since it was on ABC as a 8-year old, obviously got more interested as I got older.

There's 9 teams in the a-league only, 1-2 a city, so if you don't identify with any of them but watch euro leagues, your a eurosnob. 

I'm sure your gonna win these guys over by calling them Eurosnobs.  :meep:  :meep:

I would say a Eurosnob is someone who only watches the best European teams on TV, and dismisses anything else to do with football. This includes the support or grassroots culture. They are only interested in watching the best players play in the highest level of competition.

Also Gazmon, how do you become a Eurosnob if you only like watching the MLS? The key is in the word 'Euro' ;)

We had a national league with several Sydney clubs long before the aleague

Yes and probably a lot of them identified with the clubs then.

Some didnt due to ethnicity.

Now these clubs are NPL or lower or non-existent. 

A small number still support these clubs. A lot don't for many different reasons. 

A small number still support these clubs. A lot don't for many different reasons.

Yeah, exactly. The point is, the local product has always been there if they want to support it.

I didn't follow a club after Marconi but I still watched the aleague and talked it up, I wanted to see the game thrive locally. How Eurosnobs don't, does my head in.

Yes, but it would be like A-league club supporters now saying to NPL supporters of other clubs, "why would you go and watch that rubbish?". It just sounds pretty dumb. That would make us A-league snobs, wouldn't it? ;) 

I think a lot of the reason the A-league is getting criticized more and more (not just from Eurosnobs, but people form other sports in general) is because it is gaining media attention. With this comes people wanting to knock something down that people are working hard to create something decent to watch. With that you will get a little backlash. Besides 'Eurosnob' isn't that offensive a term.

Yeah, exactly. The point is, the local product has always been there if they want to support it.

I didn't follow a club after Marconi but I still watched the aleague and talked it up, I wanted to see the game thrive locally. How Eurosnobs don't, does my head in.

I followed Sydney United during NSL days, but after it ended and how it ended, it left a very sour taste in my mouth, and there was no way I was going to talk up the a-league. No way.

After that I only watched the Euro leagues.

If there was no WSW, I wouldn't be advocating the AL now either.

Yes, but it would be like A-league club supporters now saying to NPL supporters of other clubs, "why would you go and watch that rubbish?". It just sounds pretty dumb. That would make us A-league snobs, wouldn't it?  ;)

I think a lot of the reason the A-league is getting criticized more and more (not just from Eurosnobs, but people form other sports in general) is because it is gaining media attention. With this comes people wanting to knock something down that people are working hard to create something decent to watch. With that you will get a little backlash. Besides 'Eurosnob' isn't that offensive a term.

Finally a-league supporters has accepted NPL and the old NSL clubs. FFA still holding off, without recognising records etc. 

NSL was wiped from history when a-league started. You couldn't refer to it.

Up to until not that long ago, there was constant putting down of anything ex-NSL related.

New dawners vs NSL bitters was a constant argument.

I followed Sydney United during NSL days, but after it ended and how it ended, it left a very sour taste in my mouth, and there was no way I was going to talk up the a-league. No way.

After that I only watched the Euro leagues.

If there was no WSW, I wouldn't be advocating the AL now either.

You just acknowledged that people didn't follow some clubs (support the NSL) because of the ethnicity of many clubs, yet you are bitter it ended, surely you realised it had to end?

I remember walking out of a Marconi match, great game, but I looked back and thought - "this isn't going anywhere". As much as I loved my club, I acknowledged it wasn't going to take the game forward so couldn't complain when it ended.

Of course I was bitter at the time. Imagine a club that you basically grew up at, from like 7-8 years old, to like 18-19, going to most home games, making friends etc and then overnight its gone with no more chances to play in the top division. (I still went for next season in the NSWPL but after that lost interest as did many others.)

Then replaced by new clubs you have 0 affiliations to. 

Of course you were not going to promote the new league. I didn't see really many supporters of Ex-NSL supporting the a-league.

It was the right decision no doubt. But not for me at that point of time. It took a good 5-6 years for me to get over it, then WSW came and it was right for me

Edited by Stokz

Alexander, the one thing I hate about Twitter is that it is impossible to follow a discussion once it has happened! Seems interesting!

So, how do we define a Eurosnob?

If you follow the A-League but watch European football, are you still a Eurosnob?

Or, is it just those that dismiss local football and ONLY watch European football? What if you dislike local football, but watch the MLS?

Hmmm....

WSWBoro, you aren't a Eurosnob. In bold, those that support a league in Europe without supporting football in Australia. I have got so many friends who love football but ignore football in Australia, it's so sad & these people exist. It's not a myth.

Stokz, I agree with you that you can't manufacture passion for a team but it requires people to change attitudes & preconceived ideas, some which many have no intention of changing.

@Matty

There was no way I could of done that at the time.

Everything for me just felt so plastic about the a-league, worst of all the club to represent sydney was Bling ******* FC. 

Edited by Stokz

There was always a stigma attached with the ethnic side of the game. not saying it is right, but that's just how it was. I think WSW was the club which best related to the old NSL supporters (maybe also Victory in Melbourne). Obviously Perth, Adelaide and Newcastle came from the old NSL. Maybe it had to do with Popa (an ex Sydney United player) being the coach or the way we support, or a combination of other things.

But what has changed? Instead of being labelled as 'ethnic hooligans', we are now seen as 'westie scum' :ninja:

So Foxtel have released a statement a few hours ago saying they have signed deals with ManUtd TV, LFC TV, ChelseaTV.

I can't copy the text off fb for some reason, but there will also be content from Arsenal, ManCity & Tottenham.

Games will be delayed, but there will be lots of content

Foxsports are getting desperate!

Edited by braad

Desperation?

More like, "your move optus".

Yep, desperation. They are trying to sign anything they can that has football, and then in a weird move, they aren't charging for it.

Optus doesnt really need to reply, they have every EPL game live. Foxsports doesn't have any EPL live. The sat night games will be shown at 1pm sunday

Desperation?

Yep, desperation. They are trying to sign anything they can that has football, and then in a weird move, they aren't charging for it.

Optus doesnt really need to reply, they have every EPL game live. Foxsports doesn't have any EPL live. The sat night games will be shown at 1pm sunday

yeah....

See, I would imagine that a large percentage of people who have had Fox purely for the EPL are fans of the big clubs. 

Before this, their only choice was to sign up for other stuff with Optus and then get their package on top.  

I would imagine this would make a lot of those people think twice. They don't get the games live, sure, but they get a whole channel dedicated to their team with all the extra stuff that comes along with that, and can still watch the games. 

And for the football fan that just wants to watch some football, they've now got access to Bein, and the a-league of course. 

Desperation?

yeah....

See, I would imagine that a large percentage of people who have had Fox purely for the EPL are fans of the big clubs.

Before this, their only choice was to sign up for other stuff with Optus and then get their package on top.

I would imagine this would make a lot of those people think twice. They don't get the games live, sure, but they get a whole channel dedicated to their team with all the extra stuff that comes along with that, and can still watch the games.

And for the football fan that just wants to watch some football, they've now got access to Bein, and the a-league of course.

Maybe, just gauging early social media, people are pretty pissy with the decision still.

To wait and watch a game 14 hours after it started live is a bit ****. You'll inadvertently know the result before you attempt to watch it.

It is better than nothing, but it is definitely desperate

Foxsports desperation hopefully bodes well for the HAL. That will be their only live Football product, and it would seriously dent their credentials if they lost it (assuming there's another bidder)

Edited by braad

People will just whinge with everything these days.

Foxtel has come up with prob one the best football packages ever without having to pay anything extra.

I record most of the games esp when daylight savings start and watch them either in morning or midday, so this is perfect for me. I can stay off the internet for a couple of hours. 

Who can be bothered setting up streams at 2am. Hard enough getting up and turning on the TV.

Completely disagree with you Braaaad, for the $20-25m that FoxSports was going to spend on the EPL they've bought all this content. Why didn't they charge any extra? Cause they lost the EPL, simples.

You call it desperate? I call it clever. They've seen the anger in the football community after what happened with the EPL rights & then they made two huge moves, first BeIN & now delayed EPL matches. Optus is now in a very difficult position, having paid significantly more for the rights & already announced the plans for delivery/plans/prices, Optus are up **** creek.

I felt that Optus was in the box seat when the EPL deal was announced, the prices announced this week reflected that dominance. Now Foxtel has swung the equation back into there favour & when you consider the value, it makes the prices that Optus are charging ridiculous. Remember the $15 a month is only going to get EPL on your mobile or tablet on a network that is not reliable (they can't guarantee a HD stream either) & if you want to watch it on your TV, it will cost $50 a month. That is the cost of the Foxtel package (basic + sports), it just doesn't work out.

I hope someone from Optus is listening :ninja:

Completely disagree with you Braaaad, for the $20-25m that FoxSports was going to spend on the EPL they've bought all this content. Why didn't they charge any extra? Cause they lost the EPL, simples.

You call it desperate? I call it clever. They've seen the anger in the football community after what happened with the EPL rights & then they made two huge moves, first BeIN & now delayed EPL matches. Optus is now in a very difficult position, having paid significantly more for the rights & already announced the plans for delivery/plans/prices, Optus are up **** creek.

I felt that Optus was in the box seat when the EPL deal was announced, the prices announced this week reflected that dominance. Now Foxtel has swung the equation back into there favour & when you consider the value, it makes the prices that Optus are charging ridiculous. Remember the $15 a month is only going to get EPL on your mobile or tablet on a network that is not reliable (they can't guarantee a HD stream either) & if you want to watch it on your TV, it will cost $50 a month. That is the cost of the Foxtel package (basic + sports), it just doesn't work out.

I hope someone from Optus is listening :ninja:

They have a package now that might keep football fans from dumping Foxsports. I don't see it as a package that would draw many more in.

If you are a Eurosnob go get BeIN yourself and then subscribe to your teams tv channel. I'd be looking at about $25/month for all the Euro football i could devour. Personally, i dont care for the extra ****, i am a football fan who wants to watch games. I get my news and press conference videos on delay in social media anyway (for free).

As for HAL, like a lot here, i go to every home match and all NSW matches. Chuck in the odd friday night FTA match on sbs and im watching the vast majority (20 attended and a few on FTA, out of 29 HAL games this season).

An added $25/month to watch less than 10 missed WSW HAL games (i admit i would watch a few of the bigger games not involving WSW - but im not sad if i miss those) and a few LFC matches doesn't financially add up.

If you have enough money then my views can be dismissed, likewise, if you are a one-eyed football fan, or are already on some optus plan over $85/month, then go for it.

As an added benefit to existing Fox/Optus customers it is cool, but as a football package to drag people into subscription TV i think both options suck

So what would draw more fans to foxtel then Brad?

If Australian, Spanish, Italian, German, French, Championship, Champions League, Europa League, League Cup, FA Cup, Euro's, EPL on delay is not enough I really don't know what you want.

For $60 a month in HD and can be recorded. (+ basic entertainment pack)

Thats as ******* good as it gets.