Football Marketing/PR Thread

• 1 month later...

Anyone noticed the derby ads playing on the google ads at the top of the page?

I understand the way that google ads works but can't help but think thats such a waste of money preaching to the choir. It's up there with the way that fox advertise the aleague, during the aleague telecast.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not really sure where this would be most appropriate to post but anyway, here goes. 

I went to a kings NBL game on Sunday after getting some free tickets through my missus’ work. Would’ve preferred to stay home and listen to the hottest 100 but she kind of had to go, to entertain clients. I think I’ve managed to find something more corny and cringeworthy than the big bash - in fact I’d say it leaves it for dead. 

Sections of play just have music playing over the top of it and I’m talking music so loud you’d struggle to have a conversation. The introduction of each team took longer than one playing quarter. They’ve got lights, downloadable apps and fire machines. The ground announcer sounded like he wasn’t actually American but was bunging on an accent. My favourite part was when they directly instruct everyone in the crowd to boo and jeer as an opposition free throw is taken. A close second was the lion king cam where they encourage people to lift their babies as high as possible into the air for the amusement of onlookers. Absolutely blows the mind. 

I’ve never been to an NBA game so I don’t know what that’s like but wowee this was so try hard and desperate I was almost embarrassed to be there. The only Australian acknowledgement was the fact it was being played in Sydney...

There’s been a lot of talk this summer in mainstream sport media about the NBL growing as competition to the A-League but I don’t think we have much to worry about. Having now been to both a Big Bash and NBL game, I now have an appreciation for how genuine and authentic the A-aleague is (in comparison anyway...). God forbid if they ever attempt any of the rubbish I witnessed though...

Edit: I’ll also add that they had the one ingredient that is universally recognised as identifying a sporting league as being plastic AF - the Freddie Mercury call and response. 

Edited by hughsey

I think Basketball Australia has a similar issue as we do where the elite league is Overseas AKA the NBA but try to appeal to the "Australian audience" but has a fan base of "NBA snobs" over our Euro snobs. In saying that the NBL does not compete directly against AFL and the Rugby codes and doesn't get smashed in the news feeds but you have the 2 minute highlight of Ben Simmons in the NBA in the news outlets but nothing on the NBL

Hughesy 12 months ago same as me got free tickets to a few kings games

what I can say is that I agree with most what you say but one thing I’ll call out is the wife daughter and other son (gunner jnr younger brother) all preferred to go the bball Moreso than the football. 

Wife and daughter both commented more of the ‘sideshows’ is dance cam, bongo cam etc had them more entertained 

my wife even who knows **** all about any sport even commented they don’t have the **** var 😂

Edited by GunnerWanderer
  • 3 months later...

I really didn’t know where to put this but perhaps we need a sports tv rights thread

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/sports-world-on-high-alert-as-foxtel-fights-for-its-future-20190514-p51n4a.html

Fascinating breakdown of the news last week from news corp when they released to the market about Foxtel’s performance. Good little analysis of what this means for Foxtel, Kayo, Optus & current/future tv deals  

All the industry insiders reckon the cricket rights are the one Fox paid too much for but what about the NRL and AFL? Over $3b between the two sports that have **** all relevance or interest outside of Australia is absolute madness. At least cricket is a global sport.

I can’t see how Fox Sports would survive without their “non-marquee” content as that’s what keeps them busy. The NRL, AFL and Cricket is not enough to justify subscription.

Interesting point, it seems as if a large number of their subscribers comes from NRL & AFL, the spend would be worth it.

Cricket was bought because they needed marquee content during the summer. Obviously they felt they needed something more than the A-League & other content. Did they pay over? Most probably their count it as marquee content so need something to stem the leaking of subscribers.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Interesting point, it seems as if a large number of their subscribers comes from NRL & AFL, the spend would be worth it.

Cricket was bought because they needed marquee content during the summer. Obviously they felt they needed something more than the A-League & other content. Did they pay over? Most probably their count it as marquee content so need something to stem the leaking of subscribers.

Rights worldwide are following trajectories that are just absurd but that's because most of those sports have global following and the league's are consumed over multiple countries. NRL and AFL aren't growing outside of Australia and have ultimately reached their cap in terms of viewership. Fox have paid all this money and when the next rights come up for grabs, it's going to be expected that they raise it again but for what? They've backed themselves into a corner with the AFL and NRL imo

11 hours ago, mack said:

Which thread?

Hopefully some of the cost cutting includes Speed, Harper, Slater, Archie, Ogneovski.

Archie is worth keeping as a squadie. The rest can definitely **** right off. Where are those spanish guys we had for spanish round a while back? They could have been swearing at me the whole time for all I know, but that's infinately better than this lot (Archie being the exception).

Many emotions about this:

1) It really pisses me off that expansion was limited to 2 teams purely because Fox didn’t want additional production costs. Now they’re pulling this stunt when all along fans have been saying that they should’ve just taken a 7th game to another broadcaster...

2) I’d hope that Gallop and GOR are knocking on Fox’s door asking for a big please explain 

3) I think this is the beginning of the end for Fox Sports but at the same time, the beginning of a new dawn for the A-League. It appears we are finally escaping this toxic relationship.

Take the example of the Big Bash - at the start of the decade they left Fox all together and went to Channel 10. Over the next 3 years it became an absolute juggernaut because it’s exposure increased tenfold. 

I don’t think this is nearly as bad for the A-League as what people are suggesting. 

Also interesting to note, before this story broke, a user on Reddit A-League posted similar details and also claims that Optus and 10 are currently working together to take over. Interesting...

12 hours ago, mack said:

Which thread?

Not sure, maybe needs a new one chief. Certainly not just a discussion anymore.

Was told the article about the Nux needing to pay $1m back to FFA contained a nugget that “the independent A-League will look to renegotiate the TV deal”. That assumes for me an agreement from both Foxtel & the club’s that the TV deal is not worth what they paid. They want less money? Seems crazy in my eyes.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, mack said:

Fox Sports didn't pay the last rights deal instalment. Looks set to go to court.

Regardless of any court action, it looks like Foxtel are going to abandon the A-League with or without the excuse of the league not finishing before July 1.

Football was overdue a complete collapse

NSLtastic 

2 hours ago, mack said:

Fox Sports didn't pay the last rights deal instalment. Looks set to go to court.

Regardless of any court action, it looks like Foxtel are going to abandon the A-League with or without the excuse of the league not finishing before July 1.

Time to open up a new TV deal thread!!  Was some discussion that the broadcasting deal may include a whole of football deal.

I guess we will have to wait to June 30, the deadline by which football must restart the season which is when FoxSports have the right to rip up the deal. 

It was inevitable that the fox deal was never going to last the distance. It just so happened to be the Coronavirus that triggered this ugly breakup. Wait until they pull out of NRL and AFL and the **** will really hit the fan. 

Time to get on with it now and work out how to make the most of a fresh start. To be able to get a jump on the other codes will be very beneficial in the long run when they’re all trying to find a broadcaster and we’ve hopefully locked one in already.