5-4 Extra Time Epic Sends WSW To Adelaide Grand Final

•  

Watching the replay on SBS now.....bliss

I wish there was an option to mute the commentary and juat have crowd noise. **** theae guys are ****.

I have fox and couldnt find a replay at all...found 2 replays of the Leicester game yesterday but not the wanderers...what the f Fox. Me thinks its time to ditch it.

Is anyone else worried about Redmayne?

I mean, I am really struggling to think of a game or an occasion that I came away from the game and said, 'thank god for Redmayne" he saved our ass tonight.

The guy is always off his line, has crap distribution and cant seem to save anything that comes his way.

How many times did you come away from a game and say thank god for Covic, HEAPS is the answer?

I just hope he isn't the difference..

wellington round 27. End of.

There was a scheduled replay On Sunday night but they played EPL games?

The only thing i would add  is that i thought NTS was huge on Sunday. Maybe slightly at fault for their 3rd in that he could have maybe intercepted, but he was a bit away from the ball. Apart from that he intercepted heaps, especially in the air. 

And to the 2 guys who wanted to fight in the east stand, you can always go to ESFC and do that stuff ffs.

Voice still recovering yesterday, what a night!

Unfortunately on a slightly down note, just want to mention that only an idiot throws solid objects into the air - just don't do it.  Ever.  A clown almost took out the Mrs eye when he threw a flag at full time, the end of the pole missed her eye by less than an inch, badly bruising her nose.

On the goal keeping:

- Stav: A goal keeper is meant to be off his line, he doesn't willy nilly kick the ball away & tries to retain possession with his distribution & the thing about Redmayne he is a fantastic shot stopper. It looks like he will be keeping next week.

- SBW: Very rarely did Covic command his box, he was fantastic at crosses especially within his 6 yard box but very rarely did he ever need to dominate his area when he had Megsy, NTS, Spira & La Rocca dominating the aerial battles.

I think the euphoria in winning that game was something special, football is just an incredible game. You just don't get that in other sports but as I've calmed down, I've noticed nobody has looked at the way we conceded 4 goals in that game.

Goal 1: Andreu penalty, it was a stupid thing to do but did we even need to concede the corner in the first place? Off a set piece/corner.

Goal 2: Andreu backward flick into our net, sloppy defending from all involved. Another goal conceded from a set piece/free kick which was needlessly given away by Alberto..

Goal 3: Nothing cross & average shot turned into a goal with a lucky deflection looping over the goal keeper. I saw a few people blaming him for being off his line but I don't think the fault lay with Redmayne, possibly he mistimed his jump because of the changed trajectory of the ball after the deflection.

Goal 4: Unmarked player on the back post taps in a goal. Not the first time this season Jamo has gone to sleep defending, switching off for a few seconds not expecting the ball to go to his man.

Yes I know we scored 5 goals, which is fantastic but we can't expect to win the grandfinal or expect to go far into the ACL next year with a defence like it is now. It is obvious we have issues at set pieces with a bit of luck not going our way & we obviously pay for the attack minded nature of our LB who possibly doesn't have enough in the tank to get back on his man when we are stretched on the counter. The question is, how do we fix it?

In all honesty, we can't do much between now & Sunday. I'm sure Popa has analysed the game & they've probably done a video session to pick up on mistakes but I think a lot of it depends on how Adelaide play against us. In the last few times they've played us, they have focused on not losing. They really worked hard on there structure & playing compactly which showed in there performances but we showed especially towards the end of there match that we can open them up/create chances. I just wonder what will happen when they take the game to us, not be concerned so much about the defence but really open up, press us high & attack us. It will be an interesting battle.

I'm hearing the players are going to be tired because they played extra time, that is a load of crap, they'll have 7 days to recover & I can guarantee you that this week will be all about keeping the players as fresh as possible for Sunday. They might have the better of us in the last 5-10 minutes of extra time but I reckon that our players are in better condition than Adelaide even with two extra days rest.

I think Popa just needs to time his subs right, because I get a feeling Nichols and Andreu might not last the game. Both were tiring in the Brisbane game and has to be replaced. Also Castelen was full of energy on Sunday due to the game he was having, however if he doesn't perform as well on Sunday he also might need to be replaced. The rest of the team looked very strong and fit.

I think Cole brings a lot of energy to the team when he comes on, so if we look lethargic at some point, he would be the right type of player to bring on.

On the goal keeping:

- Stav: A goal keeper is meant to be off his line, he doesn't willy nilly kick the ball away & tries to retain possession with his distribution & the thing about Redmayne he is a fantastic shot stopper. It looks like he will be keeping next week.

- SBW: Very rarely did Covic command his box, he was fantastic at crosses especially within his 6 yard box but very rarely did he ever need to dominate his area when he had Megsy, NTS, Spira & La Rocca dominating the aerial battles.

I think the euphoria in winning that game was something special, football is just an incredible game. You just don't get that in other sports but as I've calmed down, I've noticed nobody has looked at the way we conceded 4 goals in that game.

Goal 1: Andreu penalty, it was a stupid thing to do but did we even need to concede the corner in the first place? Off a set piece/corner.

Goal 2: Andreu backward flick into our net, sloppy defending from all involved. Another goal conceded from a set piece/free kick which was needlessly given away by Alberto..

Goal 3: Nothing cross & average shot turned into a goal with a lucky deflection looping over the goal keeper. I saw a few people blaming him for being off his line but I don't think the fault lay with Redmayne, possibly he mistimed his jump because of the changed trajectory of the ball after the deflection.

Goal 4: Unmarked player on the back post taps in a goal. Not the first time this season Jamo has gone to sleep defending, switching off for a few seconds not expecting the ball to go to his man.

Yes I know we scored 5 goals, which is fantastic but we can't expect to win the grandfinal or expect to go far into the ACL next year with a defence like it is now. It is obvious we have issues at set pieces with a bit of luck not going our way & we obviously pay for the attack minded nature of our LB who possibly doesn't have enough in the tank to get back on his man when we are stretched on the counter. The question is, how do we fix it?

In all honesty, we can't do much between now & Sunday. I'm sure Popa has analysed the game & they've probably done a video session to pick up on mistakes but I think a lot of it depends on how Adelaide play against us. In the last few times they've played us, they have focused on not losing. They really worked hard on there structure & playing compactly which showed in there performances but we showed especially towards the end of there match that we can open them up/create chances. I just wonder what will happen when they take the game to us, not be concerned so much about the defence but really open up, press us high & attack us. It will be an interesting battle.

I'm hearing the players are going to be tired because they played extra time, that is a load of crap, they'll have 7 days to recover & I can guarantee you that this week will be all about keeping the players as fresh as possible for Sunday. They might have the better of us in the last 5-10 minutes of extra time but I reckon that our players are in better condition than Adelaide even with two extra days rest.

There is off your line and standing in no mans land though. How many times has he been chipped...

I mean, I am really struggling to think of a game or an occasion that I came away from the game and said, 'thank god for Redmayne" he saved our ass tonight.

The guy is always off his line, has crap distribution and cant seem to save anything that comes his way.

How many times did you come away from a game and say thank god for Covic, HEAPS is the answer?

I'm not a huge fan of Redmayne but his performance wasn't bad at the game. The first 3 Brisbane goals were not his fault, and there was not that much he could have done to stop them. The fourth one is a bit more of an issue because I think his positioning was a bit off but in those instances they are a ****er to save.

My issue with Redmayne is that he is not confident whatsoever with the ball at his feet and he has some poor decision making skills, neither of which affected the result of that evening.

Having said that, I'm still #TeamReddy.

there is off your line and standing in no mans land though. How many times has he been chipped...

Believe me, he is doing the right thing.

It is a bit of risk vs reward:

(A) The further back you are towards your line, lessor chance of being chipped & a bit more time to react but the striker has a lot more of the goal to aim

(B) The further off your line, you close down the angle of any shot & are ready for anything in behind your defence but you have the risk that you can get chipped

Many prefer (B) rather than (A)

Andreu had a bit of a shocker. Better in second half but I think Brisbane's 4th on him. Topor gets dragged to his right and Andreu tracks back, follows ball for no reason when he should of covered McLaren.

I know it's the 6/8's job to cover the wing backs especially out wide but you can't expect him to track back to the 6 yard box. Perhaps it was just a moment of miscommunication where two players go for the ball, a split second decision when the both go for the same ball, it should have been Andreu who went to the ball & NTS to the free man but perhaps NTS felt Andreu wouldn't have got there in time.

Andreu had a bit of a shocker. Better in second half but I think Brisbane's 4th on him. Topor gets dragged to his right and Andreu tracks back, follows ball for no reason when he should of covered McLaren.

I reckon their 4th was lucky.  i reckon the slippery fish was having a shot, completely stuffed it, but it turned into a good ball across the face and it landed at the only free players feet for a tap in..

People seem judge Redmane much more harshly than other keepers.

The first goal was a penalty where he picked the direction correctly and came very close to getting an hand on it. The second was an own goal, I don't see him at fault there. The third was a deflection which looped over him. Based on the direction he was moving before the deflection I think he was a good chance to make the save had it not changed direction. The fourth was a tap in by a player unmarked on the back post.

In my opinion none were his fault and other than the goals he didn't really have anything to do.

I'd rather Redmane's performance to Young's. Romeo's free kick was entirely Young's fault and maybe I'm being a little harsh for Santa's although he did get beat near post.

I'd rather Redmane's performance to Young's. Romeo's free kick was entirely Young's fault and maybe I'm being a little harsh for Santa's although he did get beat near post.

Young did pull off multiple good stops however, but yeah I'd say those two goals were his fault. Castelen's one is obvious, and for Santa's I believe that goalkeepers who let the ball in through the near post in those situations are at fault. Obviously easier said than done in those kinds of encounters :P

As I said..

How many games this year did you leave the stadium and say "thank F#ck for Redmayne" ?

How many times did you say that when the great man was in goals?

Redmayne's not the best keeper going around, but he is useful in certain departments. Lets hope Adelaide's chances are restricted to shots which he is very capable of blocking. Not much we can do now but believe in him for this game.

I think in general there is a weakness in our defence. Jameison, the biggest culprit on the left who always leaves players unmarked trailing towards the near post. Topor is just that little bit slower this season, howeveris still a good leader when required. Andreu as a defensive midfielder has lost a little bit of form since the beginning of the season. Then there is our woeful performances from set pieces where there is a total lack of communication inside the box.

Lucky we are scoring goals right now which might save us, however hopefully defence gets fixed properly for next season.

P.S - I think Andreu's from (and maybe also Alberto) might have to do with motivation and not being signed up for next season. They were playing so well prior to this.

Edited by WestSyd

Popa's master stroke is still to come. Adelaide reckon they know how we will set-up & play etc but come game day Popa will unveil his secret weapon, Pio.

It will throw Adelaide's defensive plans into disarray, suddenly we will be playing with a target man. Popa has kept him under wraps the last 4 months for this very moment, that's why he has been training with the squad.

#UnleashThePio

Edited by beatsurrender

Popa's master stroke is still to come. Adelaide reckon they know how we will set-up & play etc but come game day Popa will unveil his secret weapon, Pio.

It will throw Adelaide's defensive plans into disarray, suddenly we will be playing with a target man. Popa has kept him under wraps the last 4 months for this very moment, that's why he has been training with the squad.

#UnleashThePio

#PioParty

1453639863788.jpg

Redmayne's not the best keeper going around, but he is useful in certain departments. Lets hope Adelaide's chances are restricted to shots which he is very capable of blocking. Not much we can do now but believe in him for this game.

I think in general there is a weakness in our defence. Jameison, the biggest culprit on the left who always leaves players unmarked trailing towards the near post. Topor is just that little bit slower this season, howeveris still a good leader when required. Andreu as a defensive midfielder has lost a little bit of form since the beginning of the season. Then there is our woeful performances from set pieces where there is a total lack of communication inside the box.

Lucky we are scoring goals right now which might save us, however hopefully defence gets fixed properly for next season.

P.S - I think Andreu's from (and maybe also Alberto) might have to do with motivation and not being signed up for next season. They were playing so well prior to this.

Yes the Jamieson problem should have been fixed long ago. Like to know his positive attacking return as against the defensive cost - I think the cost would be greater.

I hope , apart from trying to fix some of the defensive problems ( probably too late at this stage) , that penalties are being practised because we seem deficient in all aspects of dead ball situations , including penalties if comes to a penalty shootout.

Watching the replay on SBS now.....bliss

I wish there was an option to mute the commentary and juat have crowd noise. **** theae guys are ****.

I have fox and couldnt find a replay at all...found 2 replays of the Leicester game yesterday but not the wanderers...what the f Fox. Me thinks its time to ditch it.

wellington round 27. End of.

replay is on today on foxtel. Think its around 4pm, check the guide thingy

Yes the Jamieson problem should have been fixed long ago. Like to know his positive attacking return as against the defensive cost - I think the cost would be greater.

I hope , apart from trying to fix some of the defensive problems ( probably too late at this stage) , that penalties are being practised because we seem deficient in all aspects of dead ball situations , including penalties if comes to a penalty shootout.

Castelen seemed pretty proficient on Sunday night. Bet parties at your place are a real hoot hey. 

Castelen seemed pretty proficient on Sunday night. Bet parties at your place are a real hoot hey. 

Yeah Ok you win our dead ball situations are just fabulous (and thank you the wall and Jamie Young)