Prydzopolis

Australian Football TV Rights & Death Of Foxtel Thread

8 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Mate you must be overlooking the traditional rivalry of Sydney FC and Liverpool F.C.

How could I forget what a game that was

This is the same mob that were advertising the big blue using Wanderers players :lol: 

Lets be honest, they were probably hoping that people saw the Liverpool jersey and may have conned a few people watch before the EPL match. The viewing figures were very similar for Ten and SBS.

If the deal was negotiated properly then the A-League would be on the actual channel 10 and you’d have 200k viewers right off the bat. 

It’s no surprise to me it’s on par with SBS because it’s still being shown through a secondary channel. May as well have stayed with SBS...

Ratings are slightly better on a secondary Ten channel than they were on SBS (even primary channel)

SBS never had the Saturday night games, still moving to Ten is a positive in my eyes. Bigger audience, bigger opportunity to expose the game to a greater audience.

Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir...

SBS and WLeague + Matildas coverage

SBS will expand its comprehensive football offering in 2017-18 by showcasing more world class women’s sport this summer with the broadcast of W-League and Matildas matches live, free and in HD to all Australians.

Announced today at the W-League season launch, starting October 27 and running until February 2018, SBS VICELAND will broadcast up to two W-League games each week, at 5pm Fridays and on Sunday afternoons, plus the Semi-Finals and Grand Final live, free and in HD.

Then, in November, SBS will broadcast the Matildas v China friendlies being staged in Geelong and Melbourne - hosted by SBS Football presenter Lucy Zelic - live, free and in HD on SBS and SBS VICELAND.

SBS Director of Sport, Ken Shipp, said: “We’re proud that women’s football has been in the schedule at SBS for over a decade, and we’re pleased to be partnering with Football Federation Australia and Fox Sports to bring more of these first class games to all Australians.

“The Matildas are in brilliant form right now and SBS is excited to continue our support of this world class team in the lead up to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup France.

“SBS is incredibly passionate about our football heritage – we have been in the business of broadcasting ‘the beautiful game’ for over 30 years and we believe it is a sport that truly reflects our unique Charter by connecting Australia’s diverse communities.”

Actions speak louder than words :P

On 23/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, pseudonym said:

Actions speak louder than words

Mr SBS strikes back :cheeky: 

Fantastic to see pseuds, you know after our chat (I think I was chatting to you) that I feel that SBS has moved away from supporting football like it once used to do in the past. Pleasantly surprised to say the least but after what has transpired of late, they’ll need to do a bit more to earn back what they lost.

all good

there are several issues in football broadcasting in which SBS is not completely innocent

IMO the ALeague needed to go on commercial TV for the promotion and revenue and given the cutbacks to the ABC, it makes sense for SBS to pick up the WLeague in timeslots which would normally have low rating documentaries. Lucy will defend it to the hilt.

9 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

there are several issues in football broadcasting in which SBS is not completely innocent

IMO the ALeague needed to go on commercial TV for the promotion and revenue

I’m not sure they are getting any more revenue than they would have got from SBS, if it wasn’t for Fox’s interest in 10 I doubt it would have gone to that network. It is getting lots more promotion and coverage to a wider audience, on that point I agree.

Although SBS has its faults, they are not exclusively at fault as there are plenty of other incompetent parties doing a job. 

6 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Isn't that how it's done in Spain? Barca & Madrid have huge rights deals compared to the other clubs who get a pittance.

edit - It's actually Radio that that tweet & article is talking about.

From WP forums 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bt-sky/bt-and-sky-strike-deal-to-carry-each-others-channels-idUSKBN1E90K8

It seems that in the UK, the EPL's 2 broadcasters Sky TV (Sky Sports) and BT Vision (BT Sports) have jumped into bed with each other and have come to an official agreement over their sports packages whereby they will allow each others channels on their platforms without the need of telco subscriptions. Media analysts in the business pages have said fans are fed up with the EPL playing media companies and their various platforms off against each other in order to drive up the value of braodcast rights and are now actually predicting a fall in those EPL UK broadcast rights.....

The Fox Sports v Optus Sports situation for EPL rights in Australia is slightly different of course but looks like falling subscriptions for sports packages and for particular competitions is starting to make media companies look at different models.

Interesting stuff in the Optus Sports/EPL thread on WP, nice little quote saying the take up of EPL now that people had to pay was WAY below Optus expectations.

Edited by Prydzopolis
I wrote the last paragraph but the coding doesn’t like me

On 12/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, Prydzopolis said:

That's all good and well that fans are fed up with the way the EPL are selling packages to drive up media prices but if memory serves correctly, it was the European Union that put them onto this path because they said they couldn't have exclusive agreements to sell the rights to only one broadcaster.

At least the broadcasters in the UK have come to a sensible agreement to show the games on each others platforms

Interesting little nugget here, looks like Fox inserted a clause in the current tv deal to take it away from SBS?

In the same thread, appears like it’s only on Iview today, not any of the channels 

Two articles of interest came out this week. Admittedly the first was from The World Game so needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The first was claiming Fox wanted to renegotiate the broadcast deal for half the money and with "performance quotas" of ratings and attendance numbers. Joseph Carrozzi from FFA denied the story. I find it interesting that they want to slash the budget and therefore cap in half and expect the comp to have the same quality and greater appeal to viewers/fans attending.

The second one was in SMH and more promising. Saying FFA are looking in to paying for broadcasting themselves. The cost would be $12-15M but they would own the content and sell it on to broadcasters (or set up their own streaming service). The obvious candidate is Optus, but it also means you could sell on to overseas markets. Makes a lot of sense to me.

A few little nuggets in this article about rugby disaster. The article pretty much says that Optus wasn’t that close to rugby rights & as soon as covid hit then all bets were off.

A few little football related nuggets: (1) Optus is focused on football (2) They have no intention of taking on any domestic rights in the near future.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-10/coronavirus-challenges-may-force-foxtel-murdoch-to-rethink-model/12231094

Meanwhile in Foxtel land, it goes from worse to worse. Banks aren’t willing to lend to Foxtel anymore, earnings were down 31 percent & result was 23 percent lower than the 2018 third quarter.

The renegotiations on the remainder of the deal are going to be very interesting.