Australian Football TV Rights & Death Of Foxtel Thread

Having just had another look at the 16/17 draw, Melbourne City are in the FTA slot five rounds in a row - from 3 to 7. That's a clear sign they are banking on Mr. Legacy bumping up the ratings and therefore the worth of the league.

Add to TV schedule

01 sep 16: Australia vs Iraq

06 sep 16: UAE vs Australia

06 Oct 16: Saudi Arabia vs Ausralia (the Vision misses Round 1 of the A-L season)

11 Oct 16: Australia vs Japan (off the bench for Round 2)

15 Nov 16: Thailand vs Australia (AWAY for Socceroo duty when we play Melb/Manx City in R6 on the 18 Nov)

Having just had another look at the 16/17 draw, Melbourne City are in the FTA slot five rounds in a row - from 3 to 7. That's a clear sign they are banking on Mr. Legacy bumping up the ratings and therefore the worth of the league.

Add to TV schedule

01 sep 16: Australia vs Iraq

06 sep 16: UAE vs Australia

06 Oct 16: Saudi Arabia vs Ausralia (the Vision misses Round 1 of the A-L season)

11 Oct 16: Australia vs Japan (off the bench for Round 2)

15 Nov 16: Thailand vs Australia (AWAY for Socceroo duty when we play Melb/Manx City in R6 on the 18 Nov)

Missing Rd 1? That would explain the fact they are playing the Nix away then.

Stensholt pointing out that Fox Sports have the right to match any potential offer that comes to the table of the FFA before any deal is struck.

http://outside90.com/john-stensholt-ffa-have-stacked-fixture-list-to-improve-tv-ratings/

Thanks for sharing :good:

Interesting part to me

It appears Fox Sports still have quite a role to play in the final location of the A-League regardless of this clause however, with Stensholt revealing that Fox Sports are currently in a three-month exclusive negotiation period, which expires in September, after which other networks can contact the FFA and begin negotiations for the rights.

I guess we know what phase of the negotiations they are in!
  • 1 month later...

https://twitter.com/deanrosario/status/775181971337076737

$100m a year :shok:

That is minus the Socceroos which were part of the last deal!

yeah i heard that too. but i also heard Unlimited spent the weekend banging supermodels.

both just as likely IMO.

Edited by theguyyouwishyouwere

The FFA are banking a lot on Cahill. What if they tank this year and he ends up being a flop. We all know JVS is not the most astutue coach in the league and their results so far are nothing to get excited about. They might score 2-3 goals a match, but they will more than likely conceed 4 or 5 as well. 

Altogether, a chant orchestrated from the FFA handbook of active support - DDDDDD FENCE  DDDDDD FENCE  DDDDDD FENCE  :P

The FFA are banking a lot on Cahill. What if they tank this year and he ends up being a flop. We all know JVS is not the most astutue coach in the league and their results so far are nothing to get excited about. They might score 2-3 goals a match, but they will more than likely conceed 4 or 5 as well.

Altogether, a chant orchestrated from the FFA handbook of active support - DDDDDD FENCE DDDDDD FENCE DDDDDD FENCE :P

Doesn't matter if he's a flop. By then the deal could be done.

Deal is to be completed soon from my understanding, before tim cahill stinks haha

Not enough time for Fox to onsell to FTA I gather?

Actually, I was told channel ten have won the free to air part regardless if fox or optus

:woah:
with olympics over time for Mel Mclaughlin to return to 10 if thats the case.

Deal is to be completed soon from my understanding, before tim cahill stinks haha

Actually, I was told channel ten have won the free to air part regardless if fox or optus
:woah:
with olympics over time for Mel Mclaughlin to return to 10 if thats the case.

:golecapproves:

**** optus

If they really want to expand the game - and have the well being of the game as their goal (not sure gallop has this long term view though as opposed to getting his bonus for meeting dome short term KPI's), they will not sell the rights, 100% to Foxtel.

They shoukd sell all games to Foxtel on the proviso Foxtel must offer to sell 1 match per week (shown by both fox and FTA), to a free to air channel (not SBS), for no more than $8m per season

Ideally, this is all done at the one time, but if there isn't enough time, adding it into the contract means the FFA can actively seek a partner after the deal is done

We must have FTA coverage of at least the best match each week for the game to grow

$100m would be happy days. Each club could be given $3m extra which would ensure every team is profitable. Every team.

Woah woah woah, calm down now Dino! Remember this is to fund all of football in Australia, not just aleague clubs

Holy ****, what massive news :shok:

I'm guessing that the Foxtel offer was too good to refuse, so they took the money & ran! Good move but would have been interesting had they played off Optus vs FOXTEL against one another.

Have an issue with the Channel Ten talk, FFA & FOXTEL were in a special negotiating period where the FFA weren't allowed to negotiate with other parties. How does this equate to channel 10? Unless due to Fox's partial ownership of channel 10 has given them a leg up on the other FTA broadcasters?

Guys. Optus can't bid for the rights. EPL they can because they can on transmit all those lovely pictures but where are they going to get live multi camera vision of HAL games.? Someone has to perform the outside broadcast and it won't be Optus. is CH10 going to cover 5 games per week? it is going to be Fox and a combination thereafter.

if Fox turn their nose up then I reckon we are forked...