Squad Development 2016/17 Part 1

Last year we asked Jones and Cole to accept a one year contract AND a hair cut

???

We offered a one year deal with less money they were being paid in England.

Well I hate to say this but we can only offer what we can offer. It's not realistic to expect businesspeople to start dipping in to their savings to run the club, they need to run a profitable business. Yeah esfc have paid heaps for marquees. Where has that got them? Meanwhile we are miles ahead off the field. They spend money on marquees, us on a proper academy.

I think you should remember what you posted to Riva. Remember when the team started? We were happy for a hard working team that represents us. Now we want to be bling fc? Nah man.

I don't think it's about being bling. We did spend marquee money last year and got a dud but maybe it's because we didn't spend a little more to get who we wanted in the first place. I want a hard working squad that gels and plays as a team but if we don't recruit the right talent there is only so much we can achieve. Remembering we have ACL with an expectation of getting out of the group too.

A proper, proven foreign marquee striker/winger will cost Pio money +. If the club thinks we need that (and all the fallen through rumours suggest so) then they are going to have to roll the dice and cough up. I just don't think it's likely to happen. So I'll get pumped with the idea of landing Bulut :)

Just on your McDonald and Troisi points, yes, we won't understand because we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, what is said between parties and if the reports that filter down to us are true.

Just something to keep in mind

We don't know what went on with Mrcela, Brilliante, Aquino, Fernandes. You win some, you lose some. But:

McDonald: all we had to do was flag our interest two, three weeks sooner than we did. He was an afterthought because something else fell through. Big fail!

Troisi: was it Taurus who mentioned a meeting between Popa and Troisi's agent which lasted just two minutes because of money? The VIC just scored themselves a player who has the potential to bang in 10-15 goals per season. That's on top of Berisha, FBK, and Austin. When I look at our squad I see a gaping hole.

We were saying all those sort of  "how did we not score" and "we were so dominant" statements all last season when we had Bridge, Dario and Romeo in the squad.

We had midfielder who needed to patch the hole Pio left behind. We had the winger to feed them. It was very nearly enough to win a title. Right now we don't have the No 9, and we don't have the patches and the winger either.

Nup not me, but I did read something along those lines on here

We were saying all those sort of  "how did we not score" and "we were so dominant" statements all last season when we had Bridge, Dario and Romeo in the squad.

We had midfielder who needed to patch the hole Pio left behind. We had the winger to feed them. It was very nearly enough to win a title. Right now we don't have the No 9, and we don't have the patches and the winger either.

We've still got Nichols in behind the striker. We haven't had a chance to see Jumpy yet although considering how early Popa got the deal done you'd have to assume he sees something there. Lustica did a surprisingly good job on the other wing. He probably won't play there all season but we're probably signing a new player there (if we load the Bulut it'll be a visa player there) so we'll have depth in that position.

As for the striker we haven't got Pio anymore but we hardly had him last season. We've added Scott up top and and still have Santa (admittedly a year older) so it becomes a question of whether Bulut or a visa striker would make a suitable Bridge replacement at 9.

To clarify:

• When it comes to depth we probably have the best squad in the league. It has been assembled with the ACL in mind. We will play quality football.
  • When it comes to quality players up front we currently are the weakest in the league. For a bit of perspective: add the goals Bulut, Sotirio, Santalab, Nichols, Jumpei have scored over the last couple of years. It's a bleak picture.
  • The others will play their strongest 15 while Popa will switch on the rotating machine, and he will rotate players who can't score.
  • Yes, we have Nichols, and that's all we've got. And in the absence of Bridgey, Dario and Castelen there is no valid backup in sight.
  • I would love to see Kerem back at the club, but he is not the answer. He'll add further depth, not spike.
  • We'll get away with such an understrength attack every now and then, but not over 27 rounds.

What we need is a proven quality striker, and we need the wingers to feed him. A couple of guys who, between the two of them, can bang in 20 goals. Currently we don't have them. Again: if we are serious about signing serious players then the club needs to be prepared to pay serious money. The rest is just talk and wishful thinking. 

Look from our pre-season so far we beat roar 2-1 and we had a come back win against the NIX 3-2. Consider this we didnt have a proper pre-season and we still managed to beat the NIX who fielded both their Marquee players and we had none!

Nix went 2-0 up then forgot how to play football

Dimas and Nichols were outstanding

I think Bruno and Dimas will absolute kill it this year

Edited by xxBrandonxx

Lol Castelen scared the hell out of the opposition. 

He won us the post-boycott game against Victory and the semi-final. Along with the GF and derbies, they were the biggest games of the year.

Yeah he was inconsistent and frustrating, and his finishing was all over the place, but I'd be happy with another winger that frightens the opposition and requires them to concentrate their defensive plan on him and still manages to single-handedly win us two big games.

He won us the post-boycott game against Victory and the semi-final. Along with the GF and derbies, they were the biggest games of the year.

Yeah he was inconsistent and frustrating, and his finishing was all over the place, but I'd be happy with another winger that frightens the opposition and requires them to concentrate their defensive plan on him and still manages to single-handedly win us two big games.

then give sotirio time and maybe he will get there, my point is everyone bangs on about him like he is god when he was mediocre, he also has alot of pedigree & experience give satirio a few years of ageing maturing and experience and lets see what he can do.

the kid had a bad game against wellington fair enough but **** me first game of the season and already people want to burn him at the stake, scares me to think what would of happened if locky didnt score....the kid is **** hopeless got no skill send him back to the npl.

people keep arguing ohhh sotirio is inconsistent yeah well the ******* kid is 20 he needs time 

then give sotirio time and maybe he will get there, my point is everyone bangs on about him like he is god when he was mediocre, he also has alot of pedigree & experience give satirio a few years of ageing maturing and experience and lets see what he can do.

the kid had a bad game against wellington fair enough but **** me first game of the season and already people want to burn him at the stake, scares me to think what would of happened if locky didnt score....the kid is **** hopeless got no skill send him back to the npl.

people keep arguing ohhh sotirio is inconsistent yeah well the ******* kid is 20 he needs time 

...... and a left foot   :ninja:

I don't think they should even be in the same discussion.

One is a veteran taking up a visa. The other is a kid who at the moment is just hanging on as a squaddie and would be paid as such.

The question re: Sotirio is whether or not there is better kid or cheap option.

For Castelen it's can we find (or have we found) a better foreign winger.

Edited by btron3000

I remember it being said here a few times last season, in response to Romeo frustration: If Castelen could finish, or make better decisions he'd be worth more or a marquee (or in Europe). I'd be satisfied with such a signing. Quick, great first touch, dribble past few, shoot, or assist. Too much to ask for?

Sotirio scored against Brisbane.

I don't think he had a bad game against Nix. He has a tendency to hold onto the ball for too long instead of passing to a team mate. But Castelen did the same.

He works hard and that's why Popa sticks with him. He's the only youth team graduate that has survived since S2.

He's better than Appiah ever was.

I agree that this needs to be his break out season though. He is 20. He should be ready by now.

Again, it is not about bagging the kid rather questioning Popa's judgement in selecting a player who is clearly not at A League standard. Popa must be able to find better options rather than waiting for him to "get there". Let him mature and gain experience in the NPL and then give him another shot in the future.

The issue with that though is a thing called a 'salary cap'. You need cheap young squaddies to enable you to spend more money on your starting XI players. It's not like Popa has given him a 5 year contract either. He has only ever given him 1 year contract extensions. If Sotirio doesn't continue to improve, he won't receive another contract renewal

Edited by Alexander

Again, it is not about bagging the kid rather questioning Popa's judgement in selecting a player who is clearly not at A League standard. Popa must be able to find better options rather than waiting for him to "get there". Let him mature and gain experience in the NPL and then give him another shot in the future.

who is the better option?? you get what you pay for and he is quality for what he is costing us and dropping him to the npl will not get him experience he needs to stay in the aleague have another season but as erebus said he needs to step up this season and i think he will, but he is young and you will struggle to find another kid his age with the same ability for the same price. 

and everyone always since day 1 has questioned popa's choices and every season he proves them wrong how long before we say you know what i think popa has show he knows what he is doing and if he has selected sotirio it is for a reason.

We've sold Bridge and Vidosic and replaced them with.... Lustica? And no one.

Definitely work needed in the final third.

But other teams are in similar boats. There's been a bunch of players across the board that have retired or gone abroad. Most of them haven't been replaced yet.

This season is ripe for the taking, by anyone.