Police/Security Issues & Restrictions

Tonight's article that was devoid of facts and littered with xenophobic undertones is not helping our situation. It's rather scary to think that members of the police and security firms would read it and believe any part of it

second pic

Edited by theguyyouwishyouwere

Just Wow......  what a muppet....  didn't post the link due to this being obviously click-bait in Victoria

Soccer thugs are emerging new radicals with mindset for street warfare

June 15, 2016 5:19pm
Aaron LangmaidHerald Sun

THE greatest threat of terror on the streets of Australia is born not of the twisted ideology of young jihadists but at the hands of emerging new radicals who don’t need guns or bags packed with explosives.

Soccer thugs come armed with a mindset for street warfare, waging their belligerent campaign that has far less to do with any scoreboard and more with mob mentality.

They wrap their faces in scarves, light flares, hurl bottles and issue ugly rants in guised ethnic cleansing campaigns legitimised by light-footed politicians and left wing hypochondriacs.

The new ‘ultra’ hooligan has been blamed for the violence that has marred this month’s 2016 UEFA Cup, watched by hundreds of millions around the world.

Critics have warned of a return to the dark days when footy hooliganism ruled the stands and gangs orchestrated hits on opponents.

This week France ordered the deportation of 29 Russian supporters responsible for the carnage leading up to the England-Russia opener in Marseilles.

For three days they went at it — French, English and Russians who punched, kicked and stabbed each other as riot police battled to contain the shirtless dimwits with tier gas.

The scenes that have plagued one of the world’s biggest football competitions has overshadowed any talk of which nation will emerge victorious.

But the tentacles of this kind of violence have already begun to strangle the streets of Melbourne.

It began a few years back when racist goons doing Nazi salutes stormed their way into the Australian Open.

It continued two years ago when A-League morons crusaded along Swan St, Richmond ahead of a showdown between the Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne Victory.

Then, earlier this month the same kind of nitwits raised their flags and lit flares to mark a soccer friendly between Greece and the Socceroos.

For more than two hours they ruled the streets of the CBD, resulting in peak hour congestion.

Police on horseback followed the pack as they approached Etihad Stadium but may as well have been at a Moomba Festival.

Not a single person was arrested.

Such a heavy police presence and lack of intervention led to obvious questions.

But police said the only strategy was to hold people to account when they breached legislation

Police union secretary Ron Iddles said a hosing down of the laws had led to an “absurd’’ situation where officers’ hands were tied.

The cops can no longer move in on protesters for fear of impeding the messages of the unhinged.

Only when rallies spiral out of control can they take action.

Subsequently, we have all become spectators to a new contact sport. A kind of unregulated thuggery motivated less by club allegiance and more by our vexed differences.

Moreland councillors had front row seats when they approved a rally that resulted in left and right wing buffoons rolling up their sleeves in a suburb normally celebrated for its diversity.

“Bad things happen when good people stay silent,’’ Mayor Lita Gillies moaned.

“We live in a democracy and I was also brought up to believe you have to fight to make sure that democracy is maintained.’’

But megaphones and angry marches rarely lead to anything tangible. Just ask any one of the millions who marched against war in 2003.

When these protests inevitably spiral out of control, they become far less about the defence of identity or protecting free speech and more about the shallow ambitions of common thugs.

Only they understand the exhilaration of tearing a T-shirt or landing a solid right hook.

It’s up to all of us to stop it. Until then, we’ve all got ringside seats.

— Aaron Langmaid is a Herald Sun journalist.

What about the other item? - They don't want intelligent people in the police force! [where?]

If a job is critical but boring you don't want highly intelligent people getting bored and finding things to do.

Think BBC sherlock if sherlock did all the crimes

Yeah but without Holmes who would stop Moriarty?

@ Beatsurrender.

That article features in another thread or two - take a look at the media thread

Article written by crowd behaviour expert Clifford Scott

Interesting.

I tend to agree with him in general, people are much too quick to blame the English fans and don't look at other issues, particularly the way things are handled by authorities.

That being said, if you're going to sing songs about a war that was fought 70 years ago, and one that the country most responsible for have tried incredibly hard to move away from, you're not going to endear yourself to anyone. Do you deserve to be taken to with knives? Of course not, but shut the hell up.

I have had a few interactions with England fans at World Cups. The first day I arrived in Germany they were playing in the city I lobbed in (Frankfurt). I had a ******* great time, there were England fans everywhere - in the streets, at the train station, in the bars, kicking footballs over the top of the tram things (u-bahn??), and all wearing white and red. It was great. I ended up scoring free beers from out of a milk crate from a bunch of scousers that didn't have tickets, while we watched the game on a big screen on the riverbank. They really made me feel like I was at a World Cup.

Later that tournament, some mates and I were in a town square and they knew some English blokes that were boozing on the other side of the square. Their own mates came across and told us that we should leave because some of the Poms were itching to "give it to the Aussies". Not sure how much truth in that, and even though we were about to go anyway, one of my mates wanted to stay just so it wouldn't look like we were intimidated. The rest of us were quite happy to leave, we didn't go there to fight. 

Then in Brasil we had tickets to England v Costa Rica. Outside the ground pre-game we were looking for our friends when somehow we got into a "conversation" with a skinhead bloke. He basically grunted at us, and his angry response was that England "had no fookin heart, no passion for the flag". His surliness, along with skinhead and st george tattoos across his very thick neck, certainly gave me the impression that I would rather not be near him when England lost.

That day, as England played out a dull 0-0 draw with Costa Rica, the Brasilian fans started singing "E-lim-inado!" (you're eliminated!). So of course the Poms started throwing stuff at them and then some of them got out of their section and fights began.

So yeah, the police need to make sure they do everything they can to de-escalate situations, but there's still a few Pommy fans that don't help the situation.

I'd also say that dealing with Russian ultras might be at the extreme end of fan behaviour and hard for the cops to de-escalate!

Then in Brasil we had tickets to England v Costa Rica. Outside the ground pre-game we were looking for our friends when somehow we got into a "conversation" with a skinhead bloke. He basically grunted at us, and his angry response was that England "had no fookin heart, no passion for the flag". His surliness, along with skinhead and st george tattoos across his very thick neck, certainly gave me the impression that I would rather not be near him when England lost.

That day, as England played out a dull 0-0 draw with Costa Rica, the Brasilian fans started singing "E-lim-inado!" (you're eliminated!). So of course the Poms started throwing stuff at them and then some of them got out of their section and fights began.

Don't forget the poms in Belo Horizonte who had to be asked three times to move out of the way so that the rest of the ******* town square could watch a game on the tele (Colombia - Greece?). Naturally since England weren't playing they weren't interested, and seemed bemused at the possibility that anyone would want to watch any other games. They only moved begrudgingly when they realised everyone thought they were wankers.

It was Colombia v Japan. The Japanese were too scared/polite to ask them to get out of the way, so we had to do it for them.

So yeah, my scorecard of Poms at the World Cup is 1 good experience, 4 bad ones. But the good one was really, really ******* good.

Actually, add an extra bad experience to that tally. The England v Costa Rica 0-0 draw was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen.

However, on second thought, the English and Brasilians going at it was kinda entertaining.

Imagine we won hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup, imagine the amount of Poms that would flock down here, imagine how our police force would go lololololol

Only if they qualify!?

Won't have to worry about the Scottish invasion then !!
🙄

Seeking clarity on the Croatian game, is it Dinamo fans protesting or other clubs reacting to Nogometpoli?

Bit of a late response but whatever.

The hooligan groups involved in planning the disturbance were Bad Blue Boys (Dinamo), Torcida (Hajduk) and Armada (Rijeka). From what I've seen it was the members of Torcida who threw the flares onto the pitch.

Dinamo has the most beef with Mamic and the Croatian FA, and a lot of their fans have been boycotting games for years in protest. Dinamo is theoretically the biggest club in Croatia, but their attendances have been awful for the last few years due to supporter boycott.

Seeking clarity on the Croatian game, is it Dinamo fans protesting or other clubs reacting to Nogometpoli?

Bit of a late response but whatever.

The hooligan groups involved in planning the disturbance were Bad Blue Boys (Dinamo), Torcida (Hajduk) and Armada (Rijeka). From what I've seen it was the members of Torcida who threw the flares onto the pitch.

Dinamo has the most beef with Mamic and the Croatian FA, and a lot of their fans have been boycotting games for years in protest. Dinamo is theoretically the biggest club in Croatia, but their attendances have been awful for the last few years due to supporter boycott.

I read about that. They apparently had only 1,000 people attend one of their biggest derbies. That's incredible commitment to a cause. It tells you how bad the situation is

• 1 month later...

HARSH RESTRICTIONS PROPOSED FOR MELBOURNE’S NORTH TERRACE

The Fans

A meeting between Victoria Police, Melbourne Victory and key stakeholders within the last fortnight have determined proposed restrictions to be imposed on the North Terrace for the coming season in response to April’s brawl between Victory and South Melbourne supporters during an NPL1 match at Lakeside Stadium.

The list of restrictions obtained by For Vuck’s Sake and revealed on last night’s podcast threaten to destroy active support if implemented. The recommended constraints for this season are:

No flags

No banners

Current NT leaders out

Facial recognition

Active supporters only able to enter the ground via a designated gate

Increased use of undercover police

Increased use sniffer dogs to detect flares

NT member Rowdy revealed to For Vuck’s Sake that the North Terrace had been involved in talks with the club in early June and agreed to a few smaller restrictions, but the list of these sanctions had come as a surprise.

Earlier this week, the club’s membership department emailed fans advising active members that specific details regarding the North Terrace would be released by the end of this week.

Source: mv.net

Quite in this thread. see the Vic police are at it again with ridiculous restrictions.

After what happened at the South Melbourne game, are you that surprised?

I'm struggling to feel sorry for the NT, it's been non stop trouble for at least 12 months.

I don't think we have a leg to stand on, we are treading a fine line right now

Garbage.

Regardless of what has happened at other games, the idea of no banners etc is compete ******* bullshit.

As for getting rid of the leaders, just find the guilty parties and do your jobs!

But to expect no consequences of that event? None at all?

I agree, the fact that there was so many opportunities to actually catch all the people who were involved, suggests that they didn't catch everyone. Perhaps this was there way of getting back at the NT?

What happened to the appeals procedure by the way?

BehindTheGame social media personality reported that the first person to have there case reviewed had there sentence overturned however haven't seen anything from the active support groups.

Garbage.

Regardless of what has happened at other games, the idea of no banners etc is compete ******* bullshit.

As for getting rid of the leaders, just find the guilty parties and do your jobs!

But to expect no consequences of that event? None at all?

I agree, the fact that there was so many opportunities to actually catch all the people who were involved, suggests that they didn't catch everyone. Perhaps this was there way of getting back at the NT?

I never said I expect no consequences.

The more I read and see about this stuff the more I think it is a designated attempt to kill active support. Whether it's just inbuilt bias against football "wogs" or they just don't like it because they don't understand it, or whether there is a more sinister conspiracy, possibly involving other codes, especially in Melbourne, I'll leave out there.

If there is not a designated attempt to kill active support then these cops must be the most incompetent clowns around. ANYONE who knows football could have told you that South v Victory had the potential for trouble. But just like when the Parra police decide to send a zillion cops to a game against Wellington just because the week before there were flares at a different game, these cops leave the South game alone and then try to impose ridiculous restrictions afterwards. If they'd done their job in the first place, they'd either have avoided the trouble or arrested the guys at the South game.

I notice also, that despite having their meeting with the club in June, it took until August for the harsher restrictions to be communicated. Just like for us last year, it's funny that they don't seem in any rush to tell the supporters of the restrictions BEFORE the memberships go on sale, do they?

What happened to the appeals procedure by the way?

BehindTheGame social media personality reported that the first person to have there case reviewed had there sentence overturned however haven't seen anything from the active support groups.

Cheers man. Interesting that we haven't heard anything about the first case being reviewed. Yeah would be good to get some more info from the active groups. 

the stuff that went on at the mv-south melbourne game reflects the naivety, stupidity and just general lack of understanding of football fans from the ffa.

I am 100% behind the inclusion of a-league development squads in the state npl's - its a great idea that is already starting to have a positive impact for us and I'm sure other clubs.

But surely in implementing it the ffa should have known that m any of then NPL fan bases harbour a lot of anger and resentment towards the ffa and the a-league over their treatment post-nsl. It also should have been aware that banned fans don't just stop liking football or their clubs because they are banned - they are going to look at the npl games as a chance to get along and be a part of things. They should have also known that npl clubs could in no way afford the level of security that would be required for high profile matches like us & esfc, mv & south melbourne or next year (if we get promoted) us & sydney united.

So instead of being proactive and allocating extra money and giving it to the npl clubs to use for added security for those high profile games - it does nothing at all. Then acts all shocked and outraged when a whole bunch of banned vic fans show up and start stealing banners and punching on at south melbourne. they then respond with 'crisis talks' and try to implement a whole bunch of dumb arse restrictions that won't help at all and instead will just dilute the quality of the a-league's atmosphere, piss off dedicated fans and cost a shitload to enforce.

Prevention would have been far better than cure in this case surely.

'Hey South Melbourne - here is $20K - can you guys hire some extra security and some of the coppers that normally do Vic games and make sure nothing happens that will make us all look bad at that game. Thanks.' Problem solved.

• mack unpinned this topic