General W-League Discussion 2016/17

• 2 months later...

Hi all, just a note to let you know that Ellie Carpenter has re-signed for the upcoming W-League season.

Wanderers re-sign Australia’s youngest Olympian

The Western Sydney Wanderers are proud to announce the re-signing of Ellie Carpenter, Australia’s youngest athlete at Rio.

Having burst onto the scene in an impressive fashion last season, the 16-year-old Carpenter will remain in Red & Black for the upcoming Westfield W-League season.

Full story: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-re-sign-australias-youngest-olympian/y6d3rczmnteg15qa0zw3yogjh

Hi all, just a note to let you know that Ellie Carpenter has re-signed for the upcoming W-League season.

Wanderers re-sign Australia’s youngest Olympian

The Western Sydney Wanderers are proud to announce the re-signing of Ellie Carpenter, Australia’s youngest athlete at Rio.

Having burst onto the scene in an impressive fashion last season, the 16-year-old Carpenter will remain in Red & Black for the upcoming Westfield W-League season.

Full story: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-re-sign-australias-youngest-olympian/y6d3rczmnteg15qa0zw3yogjh

:golecapproves:

I was excited when Kyah Simon joined WSW. That turned to disappointment when she did her knee on NT duty and never kicked a ball that season (IIRC) and then rejoined ESFC the next season.

I was excited when Kyah Simon joined WSW. That turned to disappointment when she did her knee on NT duty and never kicked a ball that season (IIRC) and then rejoined ESFC the next season.
read the blurb on the club website.

Looks sold on our club especially when she trained for the Olympics with our mens team

Looks sold on our club especially when she trained for the Olympics with our mens team

We need a few more seasoned outfield players if we are to be a chance of semis this season

We need a few more seasoned outfield players if we are to be a chance of semis this season

Here's the link, the quotes mentioned are below: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-sign-australian-goalkeeper-casey-dumont/1n5dosafzjoge1v7xrjmhjqyb6

“I trained with the Wanderers’ boys before the Olympics and they got me so fit. I wasn’t even a player at the club but they made me so welcome and they really helped my training so I’m looking forward to that aspect: it’s going to build me as a better playerâ€, said Dumont.

“The most exciting thing is that the Wanderers are such a supportive club in every aspect. The men are so interested in the women’s team and the coaches are so welcoming: you ask for anything and they straight away help you.

“Everything about the Wanderers makes them a professional club and that’s going to be the best aspect. The club makes you feel like a professional footballer which is how we should feel.â€

“The goal straight up is finals. There is no doubt in my mind that I’m going to help the team out as much as possible to get the Wanderers their first finals appearance and make it all the wayâ€, said Dumont.

“Speaking with the new coaching team of Richard Byrne, Davide Del Giovine and Leah Blayney, the winning mentality is there: everyone has the same goal and everyone wants to push each other to achieve that.

“The squad is going to be of high standard, everyone is going to challenge each other and the coaches are not going to lower their standards: they know what they want and that is performance.“

Wow, that's great! I remember reading an article from Zela a while back about the working conditions of women footballers and they had a special go at the facilities of the smurfs for being absolutely atrocious, and not providing some of the essential medical gear which could become life saving for people playing at 35+ Celsius. Makes me proud to see our club respecting women's footballers on equal terms  :good: Now if only we had sheikh money like Melbourne City...

One thing I'm extremely disappointed is that WSW only plays Canberra once! Great shame.

Wow, that's great! I remember reading an article from Zela a while back about the working conditions of women footballers and they had a special go at the facilities of the smurfs for being absolutely atrocious, and not providing some of the essential medical gear which could become life saving for people playing at 35+ Celsius. Makes me proud to see our club respecting women's footballers on equal terms :good: Now if only we had sheikh money like Melbourne City...

One thing I'm extremely disappointed is that WSW only plays Canberra once! Great shame.

and that will be a double-header at Campbelltown on the 22nd January.

Wow, that's great! I remember reading an article from Zela a while back about the working conditions of women footballers and they had a special go at the facilities of the smurfs for being absolutely atrocious, and not providing some of the essential medical gear which could become life saving for people playing at 35+ Celsius. Makes me proud to see our club respecting women's footballers on equal terms  :good: Now if only we had sheikh money like Melbourne City...

I miss Zela.  :(  :(  :( 

Pretty exciting signing with Joey Burgess coming out of W-League retirement to play for us. In short: grew up in Western Sydney but played for Roar as she was living in Brisbane when the W-League started.

She's a legitimate Wanderers fans, watched our games when she was playing for Roar and in retirement. Has been ripping it up for Marconi in the NPL this season.

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/matildas-star-comes-out-of-retirement/1s2wflk107tsfze4e8tow5n1r

We've snared one of the best visa players in W-League history, Kendall Fletcher, from Canberra. Just like Dumont and Burgess she's made the semi-finals (at minimum) in every season she has played. Also signed one of the top strikers going around in the USA at the moment, Katie Stengel - who was also top scorer for Bayern Munich when they won the league undefeated in 14/15.

Plus two up-and-comers who had a very strong USA college career: Alex Arlitt (very highly regarded at her NWSL club - just got given a two year extension so we had to sign her on loan) and Paige Nielsen (currently playing UEFA Champions League).

They all add to our recruitment philosophy of bringing in winning-mentality players who will help us reach finals for the first time. It's looking to be an exciting season.

Full story/announcement: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-sign-experience-and-pedigree-for-westfield-w-league-season/o52shnkbgmgq19sc564objor0

Interesting article. The FFA have a huge opportunity with the W-League in that they can truly make it a strong league relative to the rest of the world of women's football. One thing Australia does relatively well compared to other countries is engage women in sport, and I'd like to see the statistics of registration for youth women in Australia compared to other countries but I'd guess that we'd definitely be pretty high up.

• 3 weeks later...

Squad has been announced.

Full story with quotes and details: http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-announce-westfield-w-league-squad/1v8vge96yb6vc1emu73s3oytl8

Western Sydney Wanderers 2016/17 Squad
Jada Whyman (GK)
Caitlin Cooper
Nicola Orgill
Chloe O'Brien
Helen Petinos
Kendall Fletcher (USA)
Sarah Yatim
Katie Stengel (USA)
Paige Neilson (USA)
Georgia Plessas
Eliza Ammendolia