The 'What Really Grinds My Gears' Thread 4

Well why can't it be a serious discussion?

We get along a lot more when we're lighthearted :)

Though it does look like it will be an incredibly long off-season.

Hmmmm ...

I don't think I agree Valter.

Don't get me wrong....lighthearted is fantastic.

It's probably mainly to  relax and unwind that people drift in here to the forums. And most might well want ONLY light hearted conversation.

But honestly.... five months of team speculation.... without some lively, more cerebral off topic discussions..... is not going to sustain these forums after the horrible season we've just had.

Already the number of people visiting per day is down on the long term average no of visitors.... it seems to me. 

As is the number of daily posts. 

I KNOW I'm not part of the typical demographic for a football forum :lol:  :lol: ...but to me WSF has been far more than that. 

The club and the supporter base...and these forums tbh, are currently only a shell of what we were.

I think there needs to be more variety of conversation points here,  coming up to a bleak stretch, devoid of much WSW action.

My 2 cents ...fwiw.

:(  :(

Chance the Rapper doesn't even sell his music. He makes it all from ticket sales, guest spots, licencing and advertising revenue.

Slightly easier when you have 15 times the population, plus a worldwide audience.

Australia doesn't have the reach or population to achieve that unless you're a megastar.

Of course. Good point Carns.

Money can get you so far. They can do it in a much smaller scale and also inspire young aboriginals to do the same. It shouldn't stop them from being a positive role model to these kids right?

I would like to think uniting makes us stronger. Which means not just Aboriginals uniting together but the whole Australian community.

Chance the Rapper doesn't even sell his music. He makes it all from ticket sales, guest spots, licencing and advertising revenue.

Slightly easier when you have 15 times the population, plus a worldwide audience.

Australia doesn't have the reach or population to achieve that unless you're a megastar.

Of course. Good point Carns.

Money can get you so far. They can do it in a much smaller scale and also inspire young aboriginals to do the same. It shouldn't stop them from being a positive role model to these kids right?

I would like to think uniting makes us stronger. Which means not just Aboriginals uniting together but the whole Australian community.

pretty much in 2 lines you explained what i was trying to say, part of it is also i am going to a concert to have a good time i dont want to hear about politics at a concert even if i agree with it, i had one band preaching between songs for about 5 minutes each song and it was just not enjoyable even though i agreed with what they were saying, also in the interview Wendy posted i thought they bought up some great points and agreed with most of what they said but honestly i am not in the mood to argue with anyone so i wont post about this anymore just wanted to reply to a few posts and then be done

on something less controversial, the weather sucks its already too cold

Personally I think AB Original is a positive voice. It may not be a voice that all agree with, but having a voice alone is better than what many previous Indigenous generations had.

The fact that they can be commercially successful whilst being opinionated isn't a bad thing in my eyes.

Hmmmm ...

It's probably mainly to  relax and unwind that people drift in here to the forums. And most might well want ONLY light hearted conversation.

But honestly.... five months of team speculation.... without some lively, more cerebral off topic discussions..... is not going to sustain these forums after the horrible season we've just had.

Already the number of people visiting per day is down on the long term average no of visitors.... it seems to me. 

I KNOW I'm not part of the typical demographic for a football forum :lol:  :lol: ...but to me WSF has been far more than that. 

The club and the supporter base...and these forums tbh, are currently only a shell of what we were.

I think there needs to be more variety of conversation points here,  coming up to a bleak stretch, devoid of much WSW action.

My 2 cents ...fwiw.

Debate and not afraid of sharing different opinions strengths the relationship you would hope.

It makes me understand that person better and as a community I believe as long we respect each others difference we will strengthen.

I understand Wendy and I do not see eye to eye on topics like hunting and eating meat but it does not mean we are at each others throats but it did the opposite. It made our friendship stronger and there is a lot of respect.

I guess that is my 2 cents.

@goat it takes a lot of courage to speak out on what you feel. Do not be afraid. It is really good in having back here comment goat.

Hmmmm ...

My 2 cents ...fwiw.

Debate and not afraid of sharing different opinions strengths the relationship you would hope.

It makes me understand that person better and as a community I believe as long we respect each others difference we will strengthen.

I understand Wendy and I do not see eye to eye on topics like hunting and eating meat but it does not mean we are at each others throats but it did the opposite. It made our friendship stronger and there is a lot of respect.

I guess that is my 2 cents.

@goat it takes a lot of courage to speak out on what you feel. Do not be afraid. It is really good in having back here comment goat.

Brilliant mate!

100%

I hope a few here might take the time  to watch/listen to and think about this.   :)  :)

Yes.... he's become a popular figure amongst conservatives. 

I don't agree with all he says,  but much of what he says is spot on IMO.

This is on why one needs to engage with ideas that are different to your own.

It's something that I basically have learned here on WSF.

"You should always look for information that contradicts your current viewpoint. Now that's painful...it can take you apart....but it's the only way that you can ensure that you're learning at the same time that you're maintaining your stability.

And that's another reason to engage in dialogue with people that you do not agree with. Because they're the one who'll tell you things you don't know."

He received his Ph.D. in clinical psychology from McGill University. He taught at Harvard University as an assistant and an associate professor. There he studied aggression arising from drug and alcohol abuse. During his time at Harvard, the university psychology department would frequently send any student with a strange or unusual thesis to him, as he would be willing to entertain and supervise uncommon thesis proposals.
After Harvard, he returned to Canada and took a position at the University of Toronto.

i dont want to hear about politics at a concert even if i agree with it, i had one band preaching between songs for about 5 minutes each song and it was just not enjoyable

FWIW I saw Pantera about 16 years ago. ******* great show, slightly ruined by Phil Anselmo talking white supremacy bullshit and the band flying the confederate flag.

What made it worse was that the crowd was very diverse (being in Sydney) and they were saying derogatory stuff about people in their own crowd.

Admittedly, they were talking predominantly about the US, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

i dont want to hear about politics at a concert even if i agree with it, i had one band preaching between songs for about 5 minutes each song and it was just not enjoyable

FWIW I saw Pantera about 16 years ago. ******* great show, slightly ruined by Phil Anselmo talking white supremacy bullshit and the band flying the confederate flag.

What made it worse was that the crowd was very diverse (being in Sydney) and they were saying derogatory stuff about people in their own crowd.

Admittedly, they were talking predominantly about the US, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth.

i did attend a black metal concert where one of the band members(a band who i actually thought sounded amazing) did a nazi salute and chanted white power........i didnt enjoy their performance as much after that, it actually scared me when that happened and sounds much worse than what Phil did(what Phil did was still garbage), for me concerts are an escape

Dropkick Murphys once attacked some bonehead who came up onto the stage during their concert  :rofl:  :rofl:

i know its not the same but i love videos like this

i love how they are sticking up for their fans also this

i love those kind of instant karma concert videos where someone is being a jerk and gets either hit or thrown out or both, luckily apart from that one experience at a black metal concert i have never seen racism at a concert

i dont want to hear about politics at a concert even if i agree with it

What do you think Bodycount are going to be singing about?

You can't go to a rap concert and complain because it's political!

Unless you want it to be just about bitches and bling.

By the way, how have we got this far and no-one has questioned Bodycount's credibility? Come on, Ice T was on like some CSI or something!

i dont want to hear about politics at a concert even if i agree with it

What do you think Bodycount are going to be singing about?

You can't go to a rap concert and complain because it's political!

Unless you want it to be just about bitches and bling.

By the way, how have we got this far and no-one has questioned Bodycount's credibility? Come on, Ice T was on like some CSI or something!

as i have already said body count have a lot of songs about a lot of different topics, yes i expect them to rap about political things(again no lives matter is a highly political song) its not all about the same issue, no lives matter is about how poor people are treated compared to rich people, all love is lost seems to be about an old friend who isnt so much a friend anymore, this is why we ride is an anti drugs/street violence song, bloodlust is a song about how violent human nature can be.

my point is there is a range of topics, yes there is political stuff in there but its not all political, i am sick of explaining myself ever since i dared to voice an opinion all i have gotten is **** and yes i know my opinion isnt expressed well, i mean how dare i want for race to not be an issue and we focus on being humans instead because racial segregation worked so ******* well in the past

no more replying to this garbage i am sick of it

Geez take it easy, I saw you post that you don't want politics at a concert and responded to that. I didn't see the explanation earlier. I just think if you go to Bodycount or the like, then you are going to have to live with the support band and if they can find a political one they will.

Or just turn up for Bodycount, skip the earlier band(s)!

Wendy, you mean stuff that's not so lighthearted like this?  :angel:

I hope a few here might take the time  to watch/listen to and think about this.   :)  :)

Yes.... he's become a popular figure amongst conservatives. 

I don't agree with all he says,  but much of what he says is spot on IMO.

This is on why one needs to engage with ideas that are different to your own.

It's something that I basically have learned here on WSF.

"You should always look for information that contradicts your current viewpoint. Now that's painful...it can take you apart....but it's the only way that you can ensure that you're learning at the same time that you're maintaining your stability.

And that's another reason to engage in dialogue with people that you do not agree with. Because they're the one who'll tell you things you don't know."

He received his Ph.D. in clinical psychology from McGill University. He taught at Harvard University as an assistant and an associate professor. There he studied aggression arising from drug and alcohol abuse. During his time at Harvard, the university psychology department would frequently send any student with a strange or unusual thesis to him, as he would be willing to entertain and supervise uncommon thesis proposals.

After Harvard, he returned to Canada and took a position at the University of Toronto.

Awww c'mon!!

Didn't anyone have anything to say about this??

Fairy liked it. So he should!

He is the person who introduced him to me.

Not one comment??

Ohhhh OK   :sorry:

:P