R15 - Smurfs - Sat Jan 14

mack

Record crowd to flood Moore Park for Sydney Big Bash and A-League derbies

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/big-bash/record-crowd-to-flood-moore-park-for-sydney-big-bash-and-aleague-derbies-20170107-gtniku.html

"Should both venues sell out, the A-League clash will probably attract a slightly larger crowd, given the amount of SCG members who tend to shun the BBL and the slightly limited capacity of the ground when hosting a cricket match."[/size]

Also from this article is this quote

As of Saturday afternoon, there were barely 6000 tickets left for the A-League derby at the 45,000-seat Allianz Stadium, while Sixers officials say only single and sight-restricted seats are left for the second incarnation of the Sydney Smash this season at the SCG.

I've never see so many options for being able to buy 10 tickets at a time this close to the game. Five bays where we traditionally sit offering that option including bay 1.

Shits me. I get that plenty cant make it in holidays or because of the extortion on ticket pricing, which for some is just too much to pay (fair enough) but for people to go nah **** it im not going to watch us play coz i cbf seeing us lose... blows my mind. Its a ******* derby! We turn up. Simple. Entitled ****s. Rant over.

The flogs that cbf'd do not understand football, nor (& more significantly) do they understand the Western Sydney Wanderers - as a club & as a supporter base.

It is not just about the 90 min.

It is about coming together as a community - standing shoulder-to-shoulder with people whose names we don't know, but whose faces we instantly recognise because we all bleed red & black - in a manner that is the envy of every single other club in the A-League. Or for that matter, any other club of any other code in the country.

It is about coming together in the face of adversity & in defiance of our detractors. Because we are the WSW.

And TBH, the 2 arguments above are as equally important, & dare I say it, more important than the 90 min in determining whether or not my family & I attend. Those of us who were at Parra on 14th May 2014, after losing the GF only days earlier, will understand. ACL. R16. Sanfrecce Hiroshima...

See you all next Sat. Win, draw or lose. Shoulder to shoulder. We unite as one.

This!! one of the best nights at Parra and hopefully all those that do roll out next Saturday will be rewarded again.

I'm most looking forward to the bus trip from Parramatta Station to Granville.

Should be a hoot!!

Not.

Supposed you are going with the group thing, We will be M54 to Epping station with the lad then direct train to Central from there, jobs a good un.

I've never see so many options for being able to buy 10 tickets at a time this close to the game. Five bays where we traditionally sit offering that option including bay 1.

Shits me. I get that plenty cant make it in holidays or because of the extortion on ticket pricing, which for some is just too much to pay (fair enough) but for people to go nah **** it im not going to watch us play coz i cbf seeing us lose... blows my mind. Its a ******* derby! We turn up. Simple. Entitled ****s. Rant over.
The flogs that cbf'd do not understand football, nor (& more significantly) do they understand the Western Sydney Wanderers - as a club & as a supporter base.

It is about coming together as a community - standing shoulder-to-shoulder with people whose names we don't know, but whose faces we instantly recognise because we all bleed red & black - in a manner that is the envy of every single other club in the A-League. Or for that matter, any other club of any other code in the country.

It is about coming together in the face of adversity & in defiance of our detractors. Because we are the WSW.

And TBH, the 2 arguments above are as equally important, & dare I say it, more important than the 90 min in determining whether or not my family & I attend. Those of us who were at Parra on 14th May 2014, after losing the GF only days earlier, will understand. ACL. R16. Sanfrecce Hiroshima...

This!! one of the best nights at Parra and hopefully all those that do roll out next Saturday will be rewarded again.

Should be a hoot!!

Not.

Supposed you are going with the group thing, We will be M54 to Epping station with the lad then direct train to Central from there, jobs a good un.

I bloody well remember it as i nearly got refused entry by the boys in blue. Had RBB tickets and I couldn't believe the length of the queue to get in. I complained and asked what were they expecting. They didn't appreciate my questions. Took my name, indicated i was setting a bad example to my son and that they would be watching. A parting shot was "get off to your pretend sport" to which I went back and asked what was the point of even saying that? Knobs.

out.

going to big bash.

Good. 

Team lime or team magenta?

Heeeeey!

It was Guy who said this!! 

As if        :lol:

:unsure:  :unsure:  Surely he was kidding??  :unsure:  :unsure:

You reckon?

Watching #BBL06Big_Bash_Emojiv3.png and #ADLvMVC on the split screen, and for commentary we have a choice between Ricky Ponting and Andy Harper. 1f604.png1f52b.png

• 8:20 PM - 7 Jan 2017

Should be a hoot!!

Not.

I bloody well remember it as i nearly got refused entry by the boys in blue. Had RBB tickets and I couldn't believe the length of the queue to get in. I complained and asked what were they expecting. They didn't appreciate my questions. Took my name, indicated i was setting a bad example to my son and that they would be watching. A parting shot was "get off to your pretend sport" to which I went back and asked what was the point of even saying that? Knobs.

Easy to come up with this while sitting on my lounge at home - a good response would have been that he was setting a bad example to your son!

Big Bash League has nothing to fear from A-League, says Sydney Thunder boss

THERE’S a simple reason Sydney Thunder boss Nick Cummins is not worried about any threat from football — the Big Bash League attracts a television audience 10 times that of the A-League.

And the fact genuine rivalries are brewing in the BBL will only see Twenty20 cricket further strengthen its grip on the Aussie summer sporting market.

The sight of around 80,000 football and cricket fans packing Allianz Stadium and the SCG next Saturday night for the A-League and BBL derbies will be a win for Sydney sport.

But the TV ratings makes it a no-brainer when it comes to deciding which code reigns supreme.

SYDNEY DERBY READY TO BASH BBL

The Big Bash has no reason to feel overshadowed. Pic: Gregg Porteous

“I think the A-League is a well-run league and it’s great for NSW sport with the Wanderers and Sydney FC,’’ Cummins told The Sunday Telegraph.

“But we don’t see them as a threat. They’re on a different scale to us. We get over 1 million viewers a game on TV, and they get 80,000-or-so viewers on pay TV.’’

And as Network Ten enjoys bumper ratings again this summer and SCG and Spotless Stadium are regularly packed out, Sydney Sixers general manager Dominic Redmond says there’s good reason the BBL’s bubble will burst.

THUNDER SHOCK THE STARS

Football wins the Moore Park battle — the cricket wins the ratings war. (Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

“You’re always concerned about what might happen, but we’ve now overcome that four- and five-year itch,’’ Redmond said.

“I think we’re now drawing the traditionalists who were in the initial stages not overly supportive of Twenty20 cricket, but now know it’s an important (format) in keeping interest in the game. Last year 29 per cent of people who came to our games were coming to a formal game for the first time.

“Our merchandise sales across the league in kids replica jerseys are also unbelievable. We do over 40 per cent of our replica jerseys in kids sizes. If you look at the footy codes, their kids replica jerseys are around the mid-20s.

“We’re starting to see that passion, and with passion the stakes only get higher.’’

You fans are a huge reason for the BBL’s rise. Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

For the first four seasons of the BBL, glamour boys the Sixers dominated their little brother from the western suburbs.

They belted them in eight straight matches, only for Mike Hussey and Jacques Kallis — two of the greatest players to play the game — inspiring the Thunder to get two wins back on the Sixers before going all the way to win the title last summer.

Rivalry exists between the players, most of whom know each other from within the Cricket NSW system. Results also mean something for supporters.

The BBL is no longer a hit and giggle with some fireworks thrown in. While the BBL does not have The Cove or Red and Black Bloc — Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers’ respective supporter groups — Thunder fans hurled abuse at players after their loss to the Brisbane Heat on December 28, then partied in the stands when Eoin Morgan launched a final-ball six for victory on Wednesday night.

“Win or lose, the passion is palpable,’’ Cummins said. “The fans get upset when we lose, and I can vouch for this first hand.’’

Roughly 40,000 of them will be cheering or crying next Saturday night at the SCG.

Originally published as ‘We don’t see football as a threat’

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.c..

Edited by beatsurrender

Big Bash League has nothing to fear from A-League, says Sydney Thunder boss

THERE’S a simple reason Sydney Thunder boss Nick Cummins is not worried about any threat from football — the Big Bash League attracts a television audience 10 times that of the A-League.

And the fact genuine rivalries are brewing in the BBL will only see Twenty20 cricket further strengthen its grip on the Aussie summer sporting market.

The sight of around 80,000 football and cricket fans packing Allianz Stadium and the SCG next Saturday night for the A-League and BBL derbies will be a win for Sydney sport.

But the TV ratings makes it a no-brainer when it comes to deciding which code reigns supreme.

SYDNEY DERBY READY TO BASH BBL

The Big Bash has no reason to feel overshadowed. Pic: Gregg Porteous

“I think the A-League is a well-run league and it’s great for NSW sport with the Wanderers and Sydney FC,’’ Cummins told The Sunday Telegraph.

“But we don’t see them as a threat. They’re on a different scale to us. We get over 1 million viewers a game on TV, and they get 80,000-or-so viewers on pay TV.’’

And as Network Ten enjoys bumper ratings again this summer and SCG and Spotless Stadium are regularly packed out, Sydney Sixers general manager Dominic Redmond says there’s good reason the BBL’s bubble will burst.

THUNDER SHOCK THE STARS

Football wins the Moore Park battle — the cricket wins the ratings war. (Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

“You’re always concerned about what might happen, but we’ve now overcome that four- and five-year itch,’’ Redmond said.

“I think we’re now drawing the traditionalists who were in the initial stages not overly supportive of Twenty20 cricket, but now know it’s an important (format) in keeping interest in the game. Last year 29 per cent of people who came to our games were coming to a formal game for the first time.

“Our merchandise sales across the league in kids replica jerseys are also unbelievable. We do over 40 per cent of our replica jerseys in kids sizes. If you look at the footy codes, their kids replica jerseys are around the mid-20s.

“We’re starting to see that passion, and with passion the stakes only get higher.’’

You fans are a huge reason for the BBL’s rise. Mark Kolbe/Getty Images)

For the first four seasons of the BBL, glamour boys the Sixers dominated their little brother from the western suburbs.

They belted them in eight straight matches, only for Mike Hussey and Jacques Kallis — two of the greatest players to play the game — inspiring the Thunder to get two wins back on the Sixers before going all the way to win the title last summer.

Rivalry exists between the players, most of whom know each other from within the Cricket NSW system. Results also mean something for supporters.

The BBL is no longer a hit and giggle with some fireworks thrown in. While the BBL does not have The Cove or Red and Black Bloc — Sydney FC and the Western Sydney Wanderers’ respective supporter groups — Thunder fans hurled abuse at players after their loss to the Brisbane Heat on December 28, then partied in the stands when Eoin Morgan launched a final-ball six for victory on Wednesday night.

“Win or lose, the passion is palpable,’’ Cummins said. “The fans get upset when we lose, and I can vouch for this first hand.’’

Roughly 40,000 of them will be cheering or crying next Saturday night at the SCG.

Originally published as ‘We don’t see football as a threat’

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.c..

Wow. They really are desperate to talk about us, and compare themselves to us, aren't they.

Where as, if they hadn't stupidly schedule one of their games at the same time as our Derby, we probably wouldn't even know their game was on.

And yes, the BBL is still just "a hit and giggle with some fireworks thrown in."

No one is going out at 2am to a fan site to watch the Western Sydney Thunder (is that even their name?) play in a final, are they?

Can't we just have a week where the sports articles are about sport, instead of which sport is most popular?

Who gives a flying ****? If you like Big Bash, good for you.* If you like A-league, good for you. Watch what you want. 

Give us some articles about TACTICS you useless excuses for journalists!

* You're an idiot. Go put a bucket on your head

If Thunder lose tomorrow night they will be as good as eliminated. That makes their effective 'season' lasting a mere 20 days. True they will have a couple of dead rubbers but their fans will then pack up their green gear and KFC bucket hats for 11 months and return to watching Neighbours once the holidays are finished. There's no comparison

Anyone else looking forward to this? For some weird reason I think we are going to win and it will be chaos (in a good way)

This is pretty much how I felt in the first derby away & it feels like it again. Can't wait :woah: 

Should be a hoot!!

Not.

I thought there would be some direct trains but not plenty?

The Big Bash is the real deal because fans: "hurl abuse".

If only the FFA could develop criteria that easily...

Isn't it funny. These other sports spend all their time having a go at football fans in an attempt to undermine the sport, then to try and claim they have as much passion they state that their fans do things that they would deride football fans for doing.

I would have thought hurling abuse is "just not cricket".

I hate the dick measuring, we should be able to all just co-exist without any dramas.

I'm over all the **** they talk though for what is just a 4 week tournament. Anything would be that popular with that sort of supply and demand. Any longer and they'd be pulling Ryobi cup crowds that you could count on one hand.

Well just bought x2 tickets for me and the lad, I did weigh up for a very brief period if I should go or not..... but no ******* brainer, you have to be there and suffer through these times to make the good times even better. I swore I would never miss a derby and I swore I would never miss a GF regardless of where it is played and never have.

And this will be the first derby game at Allianz for the lad, decided it is better to suffer in company than alone, and besides he needs to know what suffering is seeing as I cannot go to a Boro game anytime soon, and WSW fit that void nicely these days.

**** the number of times I have left Allianz miserable as **** these last few years, but we will be there heads held high.

And another reason I am taking my son is to stop the ******* in laws taking him to the shitty big bash, I hope to god we see them going in the SCG and they see the lad with his WSW top on lol 

20mm of rain predicted for this. Because of course!

Not a bad thing at all this time - it would ruin the circus next door, and make getting into the ground a bit easier.

that would be funny, **** the big bash

Let it rain let it pour **** the big bash for ever more..

PAX WSWBoro?