Pre-game venue 2016/2017

GD07

Always appreciate the work you guys do Dukes. Can't be easy dealing with some of the ****wits you deal with. Like me.

Understand the half strength booze thing. Don't like it, but I understand it.

Pricing is an issue. A Big one. $7 for a beer, $9 for an rtd is steep for a full strength. For mid strength it's a rort.

Same with food. $9.50 for a burger, $5 for chips.

Would have liked to have watched the early game, even if it was the smurfs playing. Not having a big screen, or even a little one, added to the frustration.

I.D. scan for overpriced half strength bullshit was an insult. Same with closing the bar an hour before kick off. Not sure if these are things that can be fixed.

Could barely have a conversation over the top of the DJ. That might just be me being a grumpy old man though.

As it is, the lawn bar does not add to the game day experience. Overpriced, overpoliced, unappealing.

Again, appreciate everything you guys do. And some things are out of your control.

Big Dukes......

I can't place more importance on this issue.

For the first round derby, the place was rocking. Clearly, the large attendance was a huge bonus but I went there with my son, caught up with a few forumites, and enjoyed the joint. I was there when La Banda jammed. It was fantastic. It was easy to get in

Security was in the back ground. It was a fun place and I thought ....... "this will be a great place to meet and greet before games for the next three seasons."

Just two weeks later, I am subjected to massive security checks (against the Mariners no less), (licence checks, photos taken), the place is empty and security is in our face. Why?

Let's add to that that they close the bar almost an hour before kickoff. Why was that?

I took a first timer to the game, from QLD. H

Mack, you need to extend the edit time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, I took 15 minutes to make edits to my post. It wouldn't let me, so I make another post and it tacks it onto my first post. FM.

Mack, you need to extend the edit time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, I took 15 minutes to make edits to my post. It wouldn't let me, so I make another post and it tacks it onto my first post. FM.

Pay the $30 and become a yearly donator, can edit hours afterwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Was just told Lawn Bar won't be opening today.

Haven't heard anything from the club, but just a heads up.

they are still listing it as opening on the game day webpage:

http://www.wanderland.com.au/matchday/

if you’re feeling thirsty head towards Gate D and you’ll find the Lawn Bar which offers a selection of food and drinks from 4.50pm. Please note that from 7.15pm the Lawn Bar is only accessible from inside the stadium.

Was just told Lawn Bar won't be opening today.

Haven't heard anything from the club, but just a heads up.

I think it is good news for all.

We all appreciate the hard work the club/RBB putting in setting it up but from the get go we have had problems:

- The issues prior to the derby

- License scanning

- Security guard to patron presence

- Price of beer

- Closing the lawn bar 45mins to the start of the match

If the police/riot squad presence wasn't bad enough, this just made it 10x worse at the lawn bar

Wendy did you end up getting the 525 from SOP to Parra? Did anyone?

Unfortunately, it seems to only run once per hour, at that time of night - at 9.50...which was a bit too early for the end of the game and then 10.50.

I saw heaps of the 525s (and 526s) going through Newington - on the way to the stadium...so they seem quite regular going from parra to the stadium on the way to Burwood in the afternoon. That would be an option from Parra I guess.

We found out where the buses supposedly depart- Park St near the railway station.  But the roads are a bit mucked up?? due to motor racing?? and I didn't actually locate the bus stop.

We joined a few dozen others walking back to Newington via a bike track, and walking trails. Took about 2O minutes. It was OK... better than trains....but I'm ready to try other options.

:)  :)

Yeah wendy, the timing of 525 for matchday is useless. One extra 525 between 9.50pm - 10.50pm would be a useful alternative to the train. Straight down victoria rd. 35mins later you're in parra. I might email the club. Not sure they would have any influence on sydney buses but that timing is rubbish as it stands

Yeah wendy, the timing of 525 for matchday is useless. One extra 525 between 9.50pm - 10.50pm would be a useful alternative to the train. Straight down victoria rd. 35mins later you're in parra. I might email the club. Not sure they would have any influence on sydney buses but that timing is rubbish as it stands

Good idea- I'll get in touch with them as well.

The timing probably can't be altered for a handful of games per year I guess, but it IS a shame. And an extra bus would help!

It's been discussed here before, but if the attendance numbers continue to be poor, I really think the club should think about organising some special transport type buses from the sorts of areas they run during the big events. They wouldn't have to be free as far as I'm concerned. But if the transport situation is one of the factors deterring people from showing up, it might pay off to look into it. 

Alternatively, as has also been suggested here before, buses between Parra and the SOP to facilitate pre-game gatherings in Parra, and a return there after the game, would probably be well patronised. The 525 and 526 seemed to be very regular in heading into SOP earlier in the evening, it's just the bus out that is the problem.

Telling fox to **** off with their 750 starts would probably also help s great deal.

(Will never happen obviously but 730, we all make our connections AND manage with the little ones better).

Very good point!

That would make the buses perfectly feasible! For next season....maybe.

Tried the royal oak for pre drinks yesterday. It wasn't too bad.

Royal Oak Parra or Royal Oak Lidcombe

Lidcombe. I had mates with me so I couldn't go to the Parra one.

Hoping to join you next time tho.

Still looking at other alternatives.

It's not too bad is it? We have been going there last couple of games. (Was away for this one)

Beer is cheap football on the TV

Food is ok

Not sure how kid friendly it is, haven't took StringerBellend Jnr yet

The local regulars seem to range from bemused to actually pissed off that there are people in the pub

Short train ride to game.

If any of the pubs there had any sense they would stick up a "we support wanderers poster or two" outside and make a fortune

It sure beats over priced mid-strength in a plastic cup and security watching your every move

Also better than dooleys which was overpriced

At moment Royal oak Lidcombe as home pregame drinks, and if people are up for it again happy to do away games at the Royal oak parra

Parra is a nicer pub but for homes games the logistics of Lidcombe work much better for me