Western Sydney Wanderers vs Sydney FC 8/10/2016 7:50PM

PAX 38285 as of tonight.

38,000 + 18,000 = 56k with eight days until kickoff. Absolutely massive and 70,000 is looming.

Weather forecast looking at 29 and sunny at this stage.

Blown away. Sydney loves a big sporting event.

I'm sure it was mentioned before, but what was the largest regular season crowd in Australian sports?

PAX 38285 as of tonight.

38,000 + 18,000 = 56k with eight days until kickoff. Absolutely massive and 70,000 is looming.

I'm sure it was mentioned before, but what was the largest regular season crowd in Australian sports?

Dude we're not getting anywhere near it. Some AFL matches get over 100k

Tsats has predicted 60k based on ticket sales to date. 

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/30/wanderers-boss-expects-60000-crowd-derby

Western Sydney Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas said ticket sales so far had left the club expecting an A-League record crowd of 60,000 for the derby game against Sydney FC at ANZ Stadium.
By 
Greg Prichard

30 SEP 2016 - 10:21 PM  UPDATED 35 MINS AGO

A crowd of 60,000 for the first derby to be held away from either Pirtek Stadium or Allianz Stadium would shatter the A-League record attendance of 55,436 for the grand final between Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United way back in the second season of the competition.

That game, at Etihad Stadium on February 18, 2007, is famous for the 6-0 win to Victory that included an A-League record five goals from Archie Thompson.

There has been a lot of speculation about the possible size of the crowd for the derby, which will kick off at 7.50pm on Saturday, October 8.

The World Game asked Tsatsimas how club memberships and ticket sales were progressing just over a week out from the game, and he replied: "We expect to get 60,000 to the game. Tickets are selling really well. We're aiming to break the record and that's what we're on track to do.

"We've got about 18,300 members for this season so far and there is no limit on membership at this stage. We're still open for business in that area and we're looking to break 20,000 members.

"The derby is the ultimate game on the Sydney football calendar and this one is the first game of the season, at a huge venue, so it will be the pinnacle game for our members and as such we expect the vast majority of them to come to the game.

"Apart from that, ticket sales are tracking well and the combination of memberships and ticket sales so far, with still more than a week to go, tell us to expect 60,000."

Tsatsimas added there was the potential for the crowd to get even bigger under the right conditions.

"Anything above 60,000 would be a bonus, but you never know how many more might be there if there's great weather and plenty of publicity," he said.

Publicity certainly shouldn't be a problem. The A-League will have a valuable window to exploit in the week leading into the first round, with the NRL and AFL seasons done after this weekend's grand finals and the cricket season yet to take off.

Western Sydney Wanderers striker Brendon Santalab, who is entering his fourth season with the club, said he believed this latest installment of the derby would "blow away" previous derbies for atmosphere.

"I've heard the talk about how big the crowd is likely to be and it's amazing," Santalab said. "This game is going to be massive for the league, for both clubs, and it's sure to be a great spectacle. We've had three and a half months to prepare, so it's definitely going to be one fiery battle.

"The second leg of the Asian Champions League final in Saudi Arabia, in 2014, is the biggest game I've played in for the Wanderers. It was incredible, the atmosphere was amazing.

"Obviously every derby in terms of atmosphere has been fantastic, but we're expecting this to be even bigger and blow away the past derbies in terms of the atmosphere and the electricity in the air within the stadium.

"So it'll be among the top three or four games I will have played in."

Wanderers midfielder Dimas said he was excited to find out just how many people turn up.

"It's very exciting to have a first match like this, being a derby and with a huge crowd," he said. "We're going to be able to fit in as many people who want to come.

"The team is going to be really well prepared for the match and hopefully we can do well for our fans and win."

New signing Nico Martinez, who is expected to play on the wing for Wanderers, said he couldn't wait to kick off his career with the club in such a big match.

"I'm looking forward to this match because they've told me there will be 60,000 people there," he said. "I want to be 100 per cent and ready to go."

PAX 38285 as of tonight.

AFL - 99,256

NRL - 51,686

A-League - 50,333

We'll beat the NRL regular-season crowd record and that's batshit insane all things considering. Not that media will mention that.

PAX 38285 as of tonight.

AFL - 99,256

NRL - 51,686

A-League - 50,333

We'll beat the NRL regular-season crowd record and that's batshit insane all things considering. Not that media will mention that.

What were the biggest crowds achieved for a regular season game in both the AFL & NRL this season (2016)?

PAX 38285 as of tonight.

Dude we're not getting anywhere near it. Some AFL matches get over 100k

The highest regular season AFL match is 99,256 for a match in 1958.

The highest regular season AFL match in Sydney is 72,393 in 2007.

The highest regular season NRL match is 59,708 in 2013. Note: There were two games held on the same day at ANZ which was given a crowd of 104,583.

The highest regular season AFL match this season is 85,082. There were 7 games with higher than 60,000 attendance of which 3 were 60k, 3 70k & 1 85k). If we hit 62,000 it would beat the 5th, 6th & 7th highest crowds.

The highest regular season NRL match this season is 52,347 which was at Suncorp for a double header involving the two QLD teams. The next highest standalone game was 46,176 for a Brisbane game. Our game is going to smash the Sydney highest crowd which was 38,192 at ANZ.

The Derby crowd is going to be bigger than literally every NRL crowd this season except for their Grand Final. The past 10 years, our crowd will be smaller than only the Grand Finals, and just 3 of the 20 semi-final matches.

Meh, win or lose, fun to be had

Had this been 4 or 5 games into the season I think there would be more riding on this result & game but that City result has really dented my confidence about winning this game.

I have a feeling that priorities for us to be able to hit our peak 5-10 games in & for us to sustain our fitness longer into the season were the reason we didn't look our best against City. I remember prior to last season we have a preseason friendly against the Nux where we played a very similar game. I just hope it unfolds similar this season as it did last season.

Win or lose, 60k expected crowd will be a big statement & will be a positive for both teams at the end of the day. I'd love us to hit 60 but would be better if we got closer to 70!

It's a numbers game. I expect Bulut to play with love. I expect the terraces to play with fire. The players sound prepared. The loss to MC showed otherwise. The black dog has left the off season front door and the red and black apocalypse snakes over a humid horizon. Win or lose we will heard

It's a numbers game. I expect Bulut to play with love. I expect the terraces to play with fire. The players sound prepared. The loss to MC showed otherwise. The black dog has left the off season front door and the red and black apocalypse snakes over a humid horizon. Win or lose we will heard

Better to lose to MC before the season and win Round 1.

Would love to see goals from Nico, Jumpei and Bulut.

I reckon Popa will move Lustica to DM and drop Pinatares to the bench.

My starting XI is

Redmayne

Neville, Borda, Cornthwaite or Aspro, Clisby

Dimas, Lustica

Nico, Nichols, Jumpei

Bulut

Bench

Pinatares, Santalab or Scott, Baccus, Tyson, Aspro or Cornthwaite

Surprise picks could be Shabow, Maia