mack

Record Loss For Record Crowd

I really hope the fans can learn not to hate NTS. We seriously missed him in defence last night. Sure, he is not Spira, but he's a solid aleague defender. The lack of urgency in our defence was concerning particularly on the left- Neville was solid, but Hamill and Borda were ball watching all night.

Redmayne- again the blame is placed on him. Again, he is no Covic, but he's improved heaps since he left city. He had nothing to do with any of the goals last night- perhaps the only decent player outside of Neville, Jumpei, Martinez, Bulut and Nichols.

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Watched it on tv not long ago. Still think it was closer that the scoreline suggests. The game was pretty even except for a 5 minute period where we showed a lack of urgency in defence, costing us two goals. Then at the end they hit us on the break as we pushed forward.

We have played worse and won in the past.

Yep, first half was even, not many chances but both teams had a couple that they could have scored. I actually in the first half thought our defence looked alright! Certainly dealt with set pieces comfortably. 

Then a brain snap as you say. Then we had more than enough chances to equalise. Bulut header, Nichols one on one, a couple others. Then the red card and game over man.

No doubt we deserved to lose and it wasn't good enough, but man Jumpei and Martinez excite me. Just need to sort out defence, could take a while but we always start slow. Also Baccus looked great after he came on, should start ahead of Pinatares for now.

I really hope the fans can learn not to hate NTS. We seriously missed him in defence last night. Sure, he is not Spira, but he's a solid aleague defender. The lack of urgency in our defence was concerning particularly on the left- Neville was solid, but Hamill and Borda were ball watching all night.

Redmayne- again the blame is placed on him. Again, he is no Covic, but he's improved heaps since he left city. He had nothing to do with any of the goals last night- perhaps the only decent player outside of Neville, Jumpei, Martinez, Bulut and Nichols.

Agree that Redders wasn't at fault and gets a lot of unfair stick, but he still gives me way too many heart attacks. There was one bit where he rushed out suicidally and got lucky with deflections. Then later probably with that in his mind he decided to come out and then backtracked and got caught in no man's land, but nothing eventuated. Poor mistakes that would have got more attention if they led to goals.

Plus Tyson took the ******* train with us! (well not us, we had to wait for the next one, thanks a lot alexander)

#Tysonin

Watched it on tv not long ago. Still think it was closer that the scoreline suggests. The game was pretty even except for a 5 minute period where we showed a lack of urgency in defence, costing us two goals. Then at the end they hit us on the break as we pushed forward.

Yep, first half was even, not many chances but both teams had a couple that they could have scored. I actually in the first half thought our defence looked alright! Certainly dealt with set pieces comfortably.

Then a brain snap as you say. Then we had more than enough chances to equalise. Bulut header, Nichols one on one, a couple others. Then the red card and game over man.

No doubt we deserved to lose and it wasn't good enough, but man Jumpei and Martinez excite me. Just need to sort out defence, could take a while but we always start slow. Also Baccus looked great after he came on, should start ahead of Pinatares for now.

Plus Tyson took the ******* train with us! (well not us, we had to wait for the next one, thanks a lot alexander)

#Tysonin

And people don't get why we love him.

i just wanted to say to people who say that the cove was louder.....when? they had louder moments(i am on half way) but 80% of the match they were silent the RBB never stopped so that is something they should be proud of because it was not ******* easy that night(again i stayed till the last second but even that was not fun)

lucky i am over it but the night was not too much fun

They must have had the mics turned up on the tv broadcast for them because all i could hear was them and only heard us during the **** off east sydney sha la la la la
I'm not sure if this is correct (it's based on some views during post match interviews):

* the RBB had an empty stand above and behind them

* the cove didn't

* the cove therefore sounded louder and clearer?

I was on half way in level 4. I could hear the cove clearly. The RBB was harder to hear and it was difficult to make out the chant when they could be heard.

In the first half the wind was blowing from the Cove end so their noise would carry better

I can't believe you actually wrote that.

You dispute it?

Really not THAT fussed about losing to them (get your pitchforks out) as long as we keep beating them off the pitch. Yeah it sucks but ultimately which team would you rather support? I think I said this after the last one, I'm almost proudest to wear my Wanderers regalia to work the day after we lose a derby. It's easy to show your colours when you're on top...if you do even if we get pumped 4-0 it shows them that we're still proud of our club, the club that drew around 50k to this game while esfc couldn't sell out their allocation.

People have been spoilt with this club. We came from nowhere and have had unprecedented success. In fact to think that a club borne out of rejects who all had to change in the club office hasn't had more 4-0 against them is amazing.

To put it in perspective, Hull City have never won anything ever and have been around for more than a 100 years. There will be bad days on the field. Just keep enjoying it (even if it's harder at ANZ ) off it.

Couldn't agree more!

The quality of the football from both teams, particularly in the first half, was abysmal. Disorganised, clunky, ponderous, aimless long ball, aerial ping pong. Nothing like the type of football we kicked off with last season. Throw in embarrassingly poor individual skills and the end product was a shambles. The second half was an improvement but possibly that was due to Sydney standing off? You have to wonder what we've been doing in the pre-season preparations these past months.

It's also puzzling as to why Martinez, our marquee, didn't start after Popa was quoted as saying pre-game "We're very happy with his fitness levels, he's really settling in and it's probably as fit as he's been in a long time. He's versatile and he can play probably 10, left, right, I've even seen him play as a second striker.".

Sorry to offend folk-hero Bulut lovers but the guy looks like he's playing a level above his class. Apart from that, when a striker has three very good chances that has you thinking "goal" and he doesn't put anything away then he hasn't done his job. Popa should also tell him to stop the constant whingeing at teammates.

Piss off lol bulut was the only player of ours that actually played his heart out besides bulut we signed ****

The quality of the football from both teams, particularly in the first half, was abysmal. Disorganised, clunky, ponderous, aimless long ball, aerial ping pong. Nothing like the type of football we kicked off with last season. Throw in embarrassingly poor individual skills and the end product was a shambles. The second half was an improvement but possibly that was due to Sydney standing off? You have to wonder what we've been doing in the pre-season preparations these past months.

It's also puzzling as to why Martinez, our marquee, didn't start after Popa was quoted as saying pre-game "We're very happy with his fitness levels, he's really settling in and it's probably as fit as he's been in a long time. He's versatile and he can play probably 10, left, right, I've even seen him play as a second striker.".

Sorry to offend folk-hero Bulut lovers but the guy looks like he's playing a level above his class. Apart from that, when a striker has three very good chances that has you thinking "goal" and he doesn't put anything away then he hasn't done his job. Popa should also tell him to stop the constant whingeing at teammates.

I dont mind having a CF that is a bit over vocal and niggly, need a few like that.

Bulut just need to bag a goal in the next couple of games and he will be off and running hopefully.

Butters bulut were our best and are our best

Rest of our players besides nts bulut butters suck the board are ******* hopeless should **** off cause to much talent passed us by

Were just there cash cow

All round quite a **** day..

- Transport wasn't as bad as expected (apart from the train breakdown from Lidcombe to OP).. loved the 2 minute window we all had to get off the OP sprint train and onto the other platform.. We did go a bit early though

- Lawn Bar seems a bad choice, not only for the overpriced mid strength that tastes like ****.. but also the pre-march chants felt hollow as.. maybe it's the open space, definite downgrade from Collector. Only plus is more of us can fit it but still sounded ****..

- March was very flat.. combination of first one of the year (people were rusty?), the wide open space, and more spectators than participants. 

- A few I knew hadn't received their passes in time and had to line up for ages. Would have been ****.

- I didn't trust the club to get my passes to me in time so had the tickets emailed and printed. Lucky I also brought my passes (which turned up on Friday) because the printed ticket didn't scan.. even though the club said the pass wouldn't scan and I don't need to take it. Lucky I did as the paper one didn't scan.. that could have been pretty ****..

- Entry to the stadium was relatively smooth, apart from those rushing before end of march to get central seats.. happens every time though. Club should seriously consider not opening our active bays until front of march has reached the stadium and communicating this beforehand

- Pregame was absolutely dead in the RBB, but Cove were going off at the other end. Whose plastic now? I certainly felt we were.

- Tifo was awesome.. but putting it up takes away key dedicated members from getting the rest of the bays fired up - not sure what to do about this. 

-  Too many 'spectators' in the RBB.. not enough singing. WDYSF was about the only highlight, our noise was just lost in the vaccuum of ANZ. 

- So many empty seats.. didn't even look like 61k people.. plus the blue seats made it look more East than West.. 

- Flares - I like em, adds to the atmosphere. But, we're running a real risk of dropping points. Also, fans are turning on fans, and with the plethora of 'filmographers' in the RBB this game, surely some will be picked out and banned.. maybe time to give it a rest for a while until it can be more accepted and done in a safe manner. That might take a while though.

- We all know we can turn around a 3-nil deficit (ala semi vs Brisbane), but part of that was the fans getting louder and cheering our boys on.. Instead this game people got up and left. Pathetic. I've had to leave early before when I've brought kids (down the old White GA end at Pirtek), but this should not happen in the active bays at all. It was clear people were leaving because we were losing, not because they wanted to get a head start on the crowds at the station. Pathetic. With that attitude we'll get nowhere.

- Trains home were relatively painfree (getting back to Blacktown). Too many smug Easts on the trains though. Had to bite my lip nearly the whole way home.

Let's hope the club, us in the active support and the fairweather fans all learn from this. I'm worried we'll get a **** turnout for the Jets game, let's hope not.

Edited by shady1983

A lot of your chants don't get sung with a lot gusto, I was with family so not in the cove. 
I could clearly hear **** off east sydney and WDYS4 .... that was about it. 

as for acoustics we've  been at that end numerous times and we opt to stand towards the back to make use of the upper tier. 

WST were loud for their numbers, they had a few new chants which were impressive and were reactive chants also impressive. 

Guest riva

I love how people are running around with pitchforks and torches after the first game.

We've never won one.

Yeah , slow starters - but the bigger problem is very slow season finishers  , like three grand final losses and two runners up in the

Premiers Plate - that a slow finish. No pitchforks , but people are being paid big money - fix it.

i just wanted to say to people who say that the cove was louder.....when? they had louder moments(i am on half way) but 80% of the match they were silent the RBB never stopped so that is something they should be proud of because it was not ******* easy that night(again i stayed till the last second but even that was not fun)

lucky i am over it but the night was not too much fun

They must have had the mics turned up on the tv broadcast for them because all i could hear was them and only heard us during the **** off east sydney sha la la la la
I'm not sure if this is correct (it's based on some views during post match interviews):

* the RBB had an empty stand above and behind them

* the cove didn't

* the cove therefore sounded louder and clearer?

I was on half way in level 4. I could hear the cove clearly. The RBB was harder to hear and it was difficult to make out the chant when they could be heard.

In the first half the wind was blowing from the Cove end so their noise would carry better
I can't believe you actually wrote that.

You dispute it?

Wind allows sound waves to travel faster, but it has no impact on how loud they are.

Assuming that's what you meant by 'better'.

A lot of your chants don't get sung with a lot gusto, I was with family so not in the cove. 

as for acoustics we've  been at that end numerous times and we opt to stand towards the back to make use of the upper tier. 

WST were loud for their numbers, they had a few new chants which were impressive and were reactive chants also impressive. 

From my observations The Cove were loud in 5 min spells, and it was pretty much after the second, third and fourth goals. The rest of the time they are not really heard all that much. The RBB is consistently the same throughout, albeit they tried to waver a little from time to time (up or down). But their presence is more felt in the stadium. The RBB is more of a wall of sound, whereas The Cove is an occasional high pitched yelling and chanting where the treble knob is turned up.

But that's not surprising. The RBB looks mostly like adults, whereas the Cove looks like a bunch of high school kids. 

Looking down from high up I thought the same thing about why didn't the RBB move further back and also maybe split between the upper and lower tier and make use of both more. They kind of got lost low down in the stand behind the goal. Maybe something to think about next ANZ derby .

Hanging a banner from that upper tier at the start was good, but having active above and below would maybe be the way to go?

Edited by WSWBoro

as for acoustics we've been at that end numerous times and we opt to stand towards the back to make use of the upper tier.

I think it's more a case of people not making any effort to sing to the actual tune of the chant. Most just sing in the same monotone way for 90 minutes and only modify their volume which is really not effective.

Euphoria is a prime example. The way that gets sung sounds absolutely NOTHING like what it should be. It sounds so flat because not enough people put any emphasis on the tune. That is a chant that should get the place rocking. It drives me crazy.

I love how people are running around with pitchforks and torches after the first game.

We've never won one.

This. Just relax people. On all matters.

We lost the first game, we lost the derby. Sure it was frustrating as **** on the night but walk it off. They deserved it.

We showed some promise, and we also exposed some faults that need to be eradicated. 

First game in a new stadium, and people are expecting it to feel like home already, we just moved in, now we can make it feel a little more like home. Same is going to happen when were at spotless for the first time. 5 years ago we didnt exist, so lets not go complaining about temporary stadiums whilst were lucky enough to be getting a brand spanking new one in a few years time. Too many spoilt posters on here.

Piss off lol bulut was the only player of ours that actually played his heart out besides bulut we signed ****

i watched bulut a lot during the match because i am creepy and he did not get angry at team mates like last time he was here

as for acoustics we've been at that end numerous times and we opt to stand towards the back to make use of the upper tier.

I think it's more a case of people not making any effort to sing to the actual tune of the chant. Most just sing in the same monotone way for 90 minutes and only modify their volume which is really not effective.

Euphoria is a prime example. The way that gets sung sounds absolutely NOTHING like what it should be. It sounds so flat because not enough people put any emphasis on the tune. That is a chant that should get the place rocking. It drives me crazy.

The RBB has always lacked a little in the melody department, although it has gotten better over the years. The whole show you put on pre game and everything else just blows The Cove away though. The trumpets, drums, singing and the whole choreography. But if it needs anything, it is maybe a few more younger kids singing their lungs out. Too many older guys whose voices are too deep and monotone.

It's almost as if you need those young kids from The Cove in there, but train to get them to sing in time and go for 90 minutes ;) 

ok so after a couple of days here are my thoughts:

a) It's not as bad as I felt on the night. Consider our first game last season: There were a couple of standout players, but I was pretty worried about the rest at the time. They came good though (well, except Pio). Also consider Adelaide's start last season. Bottom of the table after like 10 rounds or something...

b) Atmosphere: If we had scored goals the stadium would have been going crazy. I don't think you can get a reliable gauge on the atmosphere after experiencing a 4-0 loss.

c) I'm excited about the kusukami/martinez/nichols/bulut front 4. We know what Nichols and Bulut are capable of and the other 2 look intelligent/creative/quick enough to provide some of the quality we were missing last season.

d) I think we missed Cole, Sotirio and NTS. Bring them back and I suspect we would've seen a lot more fight.

e) Don't underestimate the effect of Popa pushing the team hard in preseason to get their fitness up. Don't overlook the fact that they scored all 4 goals in the second half when we looked tired and were second best in almost every challenge.

We've never won one.

We lost the first game, we lost the derby. Sure it was frustrating as **** on the night but walk it off. They deserved it.

We showed some promise, and we also exposed some faults that need to be eradicated.

First game in a new stadium, and people are expecting it to feel like home already, we just moved in, now we can make it feel a little more like home. Same is going to happen when were at spotless for the first time. 5 years ago we didnt exist, so lets not go complaining about temporary stadiums whilst were lucky enough to be getting a brand spanking new one in a few years time. Too many spoilt posters on here.

What was everyone expecting?

In 12 matches against Arnold, Popa has only ever won once, lost 7 and conceded 21 goals! As long as Popa is our coach and Arnold is smurfs, there will be no derby wins.

For all the good popa has brought the club, he just can't match it with Arnold for whatever reason.

But, playing Hamil at LB when you have Clisby on the bench has to do more than raise eyebrows. WTF seriously and the persistence on not getting a marquee and playing them.

But when a few weeks back when I said we haven't recruited as well as Smurfs, City and Victory ppl joked about where they finished last year. Yet we copped 4 each from two of them now.

Anyway, rant over, on to the next one. We will get better as we always do.

Just for the record, someone just rang me and told me that Ray Hadley is going off about the flares and demanding the FFA deduct points.

DUI Bec might be gone, but this clown is still around.

Edited by Wanderboy

I'm happy with supporting the Wanderers and have been since the formation of the club. I'm proud of the fans who put their hard effort into the tifos, the  fans that have created our club chants, and even the fans that are going to our youth squad games and supporting them as they are future of the club.

However, you've got idiots who are "supporting the Wanderers" and igniting flares which Gallop has warned clubs not to do and if you do, the club will pay  consequences. These are the "so-called fans" that I'm NOT willing to support.

These "fans"  have now put the team in jeopardy from getting 3 points docked and usually these "so-called fans" are sometimes apart of the RBB. But, If the "fan" that lit up the flare last night at the game isn't an RRB fan, well then I apologise for accusing the RBB for doing something that is completely wrong.

On a serious note, what do these "fans" actually accomplish from lighting up a flare? That's something I'll never understand.

LOL this argument has been going since day dot.

You want all the people who are in the RBB to behave how you want them to. You are happy to soak up the atmosphere but critical if it goes to what you deem to be "too far". You assume the tifo peeps and flare peeps are different. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want atmosphere but don't like the way that it is currently achieved then start your own group. WST did it. But I doubt you'll get a different attitude towards flares from them lol

As for what it accomplishes, it adds atmosphere. Proof of that is that most events now have "legal flares" on display before the game and sometimes after. Plus it fires up the people that you say you support who sing the songs that give the atmosphere.

I dont give a **** about flares or how people behave tbh but if they are detrimental to the Club, cost us points or show the Club in a bad light then they should be ****ed off as well as anyone that lights and/or supports them.  I ******* laugh at how pricks get on here ready to bag the **** out of some player who misjudged a clearance or was caught out of position that might have cost us a goal but then dont condemn some small cocked imbecile in the crowd next to them who gets off on lighting a falre that could cost us 3pts because its their choice - nice logic.  As for atmosphere, yea sure I like the atmosphere but let me ask you this - if a WSW game is going ahead and no RBB turns up how much of a crowd will turn up??  Now if the RBB turn up and put on atmosphere but there is no actual WSW game, how much of a crowd will turn up?  Get in your place mate, people dont turn up for the RBB,  in the term 'active support' there is an important word SUPPORT, some of you guys forget that.  Oh yea and before the predictable imbecilic retorts, I am a foundation member, was at Cook Pk, watched Rnd 1 vs CCM, was there at Brisbane for our first win and first goal (with about 10 others) and have immediate family in the RBB every week.

Edited by scarcev

flaressssssssssssss- :xnod:  :ninja:  :nono:  :xbop:  :woah:  :grouphug:

in all seriousness though the positive of the night for me personally security was really good had no issues they were walking the bays continually and didnt really care that i was in the isle and several people were on the seats and they had no issue with it and when ever they had to move someone out of isle so they were not blocking it they were very polite, only speaking from what i saw myself but all in all was very happy 

Edited by wswanderersfc

I think everything I want to say has been said...  

On TV the red on the player jerseys looked vibrant as ever. Almost too bright.. that it hid the black... but I'm on peasant standard definition Foxtel. 

international-soccer-commodore-64.jpg

Jumpei and Nico looks exciting as ****. I'm really hoping that these guys connect well with Bulut. Time will tell. 

The worst-er part of the night is Brosque scoring. 

Also Baccus looked great after he came on, should start ahead of Pinatares for now.

Well he did get pulled after giving the ball away carelessly leading to the second goal, but that may have been a coincidence. But I think you have to give your foreigner more time to settle, unless Popa is really pissed at him.

The quality of the football from both teams, particularly in the first half, was abysmal.

Sorry to offend folk-hero Bulut lovers but the guy looks like he's playing a level above his class. Apart from that, when a striker has three very good chances that has you thinking "goal" and he doesn't put anything away then he hasn't done his job. 

Quality - it was the first game of the year. Historically not the game where most teams are at their best. And it was a derby. And it was on an unfamiliar surface in front of 60,000 people. Anyone who expected a high quality game was in for a shock.

Bulut. I don't think any of his chances - maybe one - were clear cut. The cross for the header had little power on it, the second chance in the first half I think was the best chance, and the first one was from outside the box. Yeah he dragged that first one, but you don't see people talking about Bobo's horrendous effort from outside the box which started wide and high and went further away. Mainly because he got a tap in and they won.

As for atmosphere, yea sure I like the atmosphere but let me ask you this - if a WSW game is going ahead and no RBB turns up how much of a crowd will turn up??  Now if the RBB turn up and put on atmosphere but there is no actual WSW game, how much of a crowd will turn up?  Get in your place mate, people dont turn up for the RBB

Good question about how many people would turn up if there were no RBB. I went to two Parramatta Power games. They were pretty ******* dull. I never went back. Neither did many people.

There are people from Newcastle, Central Coast etc that say the best games are when we are in town. We get more home fans turning up for those games than others. Ever stop to think why? I myself didn't get a foundation membership - I hope that doesn't make my opinion less valid than yours! - primarily because I thought I'd seen it all before - Northern Spirit lol, Parra Power, sydney fc - they were all boring plastic crap and I thought we'd be the same. When a mate told me the RBB was what we had been waiting for in football, i started buying tickets to the first season. People do turn up for the atmosphere the RBB create, you can deny it all you like but it's true.

We've never won one.

What was everyone expecting?

In 12 matches against Arnold, Popa has only ever won once, lost 7 and conceded 21 goals! As long as Popa is our coach and Arnold is smurfs, there will be no derby wins.

For all the good Popa has brought the club, he just can't match it with Arnold for whatever reason.

But, playing Hamil at LB when you have Clisby on the bench has to do more than raise eyebrows. WTF seriously and the persistence on not getting a marquee and playing them.

But when a few weeks back when I said we haven't recruited as well as Smurfs, City and Victory ppl joked about where they finished last year. Yet we copped 4 each from two of them now.

Anyway, rant over, on to the next one. We will get better as we always do.

We have no idea how our recruitment has gone till we see our full squad out there and match ready.

But There were obvious selection errors from the start from popa.

- Hammil at left back 

- Borda and Cornthwaite at cb, completely new partnership for a big game. Aspro surely should have got the nod.

- Lustica on the wing when he has Hammil behind him also was a mistake.

- Also thought Baccus warranted a start with his pre-season and familiarity with the side, and Pinatares lack of. 

These certainly hindered our fluidity but its still up to the players in many regards and Sydney's goals mostly came as a result of defenders going to sleep. 

No doubt popa didnt have the best side out there for this one. And its unusual to for him, as he normally takes a really conservative approach to these early season big games. But we saw him give debuts to Jumpei, Bulut, Borda and Pinatares. The experience for the will only show them that the a-league is no walk in the park and to be game ready.

BUT in general our record against Sydney and our habit of going missing in these big matches wether its derby day or grand final day largely comes down to the players unable to deal with the expectation / pressure and the lack of finishing our chances which once again comes down the the player taking the shot. I think we need some mental strength big time and changes in phycology.

Otherwise, our season has just begun. They need us behind them.

flaressssssssssssss- :xnod:  :ninja:  :nono:  :xbop:  :woah:  :grouphug:

in all seriousness though the positive of the night for me personally security was really good had no issues they were walking the bays continually and didnt really care that i was in the isle and several people were on the seats and they had no issue with it and when ever they had to move someone out of isle so they were not blocking it they were very polite, only speaking from what i saw myself but all in all was very happy 

Agreed. We seemed pretty good in getting rid of the flare to so surely no repercussions. Does make me question why someone would want to rip a flare only for them to quickly pass it up front and hide it, just seems pointless and a waste of money on the flare it self.

Focus more on singing your hearts out and being innovative and open to more ideas in the RBB and all is good.

Agree that Redders wasn't at fault and gets a lot of unfair stick, but he still gives me way too

Ableist

I have so much negative stuff to write but a lot of people have covered this in earlier posts.