Wanderboy

The Weather Thread.

Sorry folks meant to post this^^^^^^^^^ in the off topic thread. My bad.

18 minutes ago, sonar said:

Sorry folks meant to post this^^^^^^^^^ in the off topic thread. My bad.

It’s sort of weather related :lol:

32 minutes ago, GlobalWarning said:

can the heat possible get lost? :P

Not till after Sunday mate, unfortunately. Tomorrow is going to be a shocker. 46 deg's for Penrith, and then 43 on Sunday.

Thankfully, some rain next week which might temper things.

Just had an out of control bushfire near my place, which was just about 500 metres from my joint (Castle Hill/Glenhaven). Luckily, about 10 local brigades got it under control pretty quickly. I have a much larger bush reserve behind the houses across the road from me (basically, Fred Catterson Reserve). I'm worried about this tomorrow. This afternoon's blaze was clearly deliberately lit.

This summer is just ******* scary.

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Not till after Sunday mate, unfortunately. Tomorrow is going to be a shocker. 46 deg's for Penrith, and then 43 on Sunday.

Thankfully, some rain next week which might temper things.

Just had an out of control bushfire near my place, which was just about 500 metres from my joint (Castle Hill/Glenhaven). Luckily, about 10 local brigades got it under control pretty quickly. I have a much larger bush reserve behind the houses across the road from me (basically, Fred Catterson Reserve). I'm worried about this tomorrow. This afternoon's blaze was clearly deliberately lit.

This summer is just ******* scary.

i know its going to be a difficult weekend sadly........but i still want it gone :P that is scary i am glad it was contained pretty fast, i am just glad for the moment that massive fire that fire that had me worried for pretty much months is kinda gone at least not as much of an issue

2 minutes ago, GlobalWarning said:

i know its going to be a difficult weekend sadly........but i still want it gone :P that is scary i am glad it was contained pretty fast, i am just glad for the moment that massive fire that fire that had me worried for pretty much months is kinda gone at least not as much of an issue

Yeh, that was the Gospers Mountain fire. It burnt for over 2 months. **** me. It seems to be mostly out now, but there could still be isolated tree stumps still smoldering.. A day like tomorrow and it could start all over again.

Not sure where you live but again, be on alert tomorrow and have a plan to leave if necessary. I certainly do. I might be in the middle of suburbia, but I'm surrounded by bush.

17 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Yeh, that was the Gospers Mountain fire. It burnt for over 2 months. **** me. It seems to be mostly out now, but there could still be isolated tree stumps still smoldering.. A day like tomorrow and it could start all over again.

Not sure where you live but again, be on alert tomorrow and have a plan to leave if necessary. I certainly do. I might be in the middle of suburbia, but I'm surrounded by bush.

thank you i think i am in a similar situation to you, i am not too worried but at the same time i will be paying close attention because fires can just pop up out of no where and gain momentum very fast

18 minutes ago, GlobalWarning said:

thank you i think i am in a similar situation to you, i am not too worried but at the same time i will be paying close attention because fires can just pop up out of no where and gain momentum very fast

And that is the case. If fires are nearby, a fire can start anywhere in the vicinity just from blowing embers.

A day like tomorrow needs everyone to be alert and have a plan. Canberra 2003 is the perfect example. That fire had been burning for days, slowly approaching the southern suburbs, and then boom.

We have learnt a lot from Black Saturday, 2009 in Victoria. But not enough. This summer has proven that and we will learn more from this. It's why people need to be vigilant. That shocking video I posted the other night just goes to show how volatile a situation can be given the worst conditions.

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

And that is the case. If fires are nearby, a fire can start anywhere in the vicinity just from blowing embers.

A day like tomorrow needs everyone to be alert and have a plan. Canberra 2003 is the perfect example. That fire had been burning for days, slowly approaching the southern suburbs, and then boom.

We have learnt a lot from Black Saturday, 2009 in Victoria. But not enough. This summer has proven that and we will learn more from this. It's why people need to be vigilant. That shocking video I posted the other night just goes to show how volatile a situation can be given the worst conditions.

that is true i was just thinking of black Saturday in Victoria, in some areas you pretty much always need to be alert

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

A friend from Tasmania flew up to Sydney today.

She said she cried flying up here...to see the Great Dividing Range extensively burnt or on fire...and to the West, just dirt.

:(:(

30 minutes ago, wendybr said:

A friend from Tasmania flew up to Sydney today.

She said she cried flying up here...to see the Great Dividing Range extensively burnt or on fire...and to the West, just dirt.

Reminds me of this

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Reminds me of this

Even from afar, my friend has been devastated by the fires on the mainland.

She lived on Kangaroo Is for a few years, and knows people who have lost their homes there. She was horrified about the loss of wildlife there too.

6 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Yeah I know a bloke up near bell, gospers ripped through his place before Christmas, last weekend his neighbour's yard went up from roots that are still on fire underground.

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

**** this heat.

Just clicked over 46 deg's here.

I turned the air con on a couple of hours ago and I've been wondering why I wasn't feeling any cooler. Just checked temperature on my phone - 46 degrees, feels like 54!!!

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

**** this heat.

Just clicked over 46 deg's here.

its not pleasant but at least i got a $10 fan to help me :P

Climbed up hat hill this arvo, round 1 o'clock. Took some snaps of the valley etc from up there and the fire damage. Clear as anything. As I'm coming down there's suddenly a plume by my estimation leura/Wentworth falls sort of area. Nothing on RFS app though. Still nothing 5 hours later. I think it's something (not threatening any homes though - I think they're just calling it part of Erskine Creek which is already at advice... still though, no alerts or whatever).

EPqtKBlUYAAth15?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by marron

btw that pic is from katoomba, not mine. It wasn't nearly as impressive from here at that point, plus, I coulnd't be arsed climbing the hill again to get a good snap, because it was hoooooooot.

Here's mine looking I'm the right direction I'd say an hour or two earlier, just before it started up:

20200201-132747.jpg

It was shut off further along and at pulpit  so still can't see into that end.

20200201-132909.jpg

actually got decent amount of rain last night and this morning, i really hope everyone else got rain too

finally a day where i dont feel like i live in an oven

44 minutes ago, GlobalWarning said:

actually got decent amount of rain last night and this morning, i really hope everyone else got rain too

finally a day where i dont feel like i live in an oven

Geez Goat, you were complaining about being cold a few weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Bit wild out innit.

Just been to the local shops. Rain coming sideways ala Boro style...

I think you're confused about the Boro style. Lying down while the rain falls on you doesn't constitute the rain coming sideways.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Bit wild out innit.

Just been to the local shops. Rain coming sideways ala Boro style...

Yep.

Long time since we've had a decent trough induced ECL like this one.

5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Yep.

Long time since we've had a decent trough induced ECL like this one.

Fire engines with sirens going zipping all over around here. One just paid a visit to the unit block next door..think the underground car park is filling up.

Edited by Smoggy

Not long back from our usual 1km each way walk to the local shops for a cuppa and to buy a few groceries. I can say without fear of contradiction** that it is wet and windy. Rain jackets and umbrellas were not entirely successful keeping us dry. Loved it.

** Except maybe from Boro, which is fair enough.