Jump to content
Wanderboy

The Weather Thread.

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Possible for next week 

 

237385_41b9f3c33f3c470a2d91419cd0480249.png?w=1600&q=85&fit=max&auto=format

Looks like an English weather chart 😎

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Looks like an English weather chart 😎

In summer. Ah memories of summer holls as a kid shivering at the beach and my old man telling me 'you getting in the ******* sea water or what, pubs opening soon' (lights up ciggie and looks at watch)......

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

In summer. Ah memories of summer holls as a kid shivering at the beach and my old man telling me 'you getting in the ******* sea water or what, pubs opening soon' (lights up ciggie and looks at watch)......

One of the two coldest places on earth I have been is on Hadrians Wall in winter. This must be sunbathing weather for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

One of the two coldest places on earth I have been is on Hadrians Wall in winter. This must be sunbathing weather for you.

I raise you away end Roker Park Sunderland in January with a wind whipping in straight off the north sea....******* ice all over the terrace and a steward guy with a ciggie hanging off his bottom lip comes around spreading grit around, which did **** all, ******* baltic!

Victoria Park Hartlepool another ******* cold ground, as was Boro's. All close to the north sea and nothing between there and Scandinavia to slow the wind.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Smoggy said:

I raise you away end Roker Park Sunderland in January with a wind whipping in straight off the north sea....******* ice all over the terrace and a steward guy with a **** hanging off his bottom lip comes around spreading grit around, which did **** all.

Victoria Park Hartlepool another ******* cold ground, as was Boro's. All close to the north sea and nothing between there and Scandinavia to slow the wind.

You win. 

But then again Toledo in the middle of winter in the shade was pretty cold. But me being a descendent of northern italian grandparents, I grew up here with heat and humidity not the bitter north sea winds from the Arctic.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

You win. 

But then again Toledo in the middle of winter in the shade was pretty cold. But me being a descendent of northern italian grandparents, I grew up here with heat and humidity not the bitter north sea winds from the Arctic.

Wasn't so bad...just needed lots of lard.....

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Paul01 said:

One of the two coldest places on earth I have been is on Hadrians Wall in winter. This must be sunbathing weather for you.

I visited Hadrian's Wall in the middle of Summer...and it was freezing then!😨😨

Not as bad as the North of Scotland...in a fishing boat for a seal watching cruise tho!!!!!

 

Just btw. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wendybr said:

I visited Hadrian's Wall in the middle of Summer...and it was freezing then!😨😨

Not sure as bad as the North of Scotland...in a fishing boat for a seal watching cruise tho!!!!!

 

Just btw. :lol:

I went to Hadrian's wall on a school trip..what a load of shyte...like standing looking at a farm wall in need of renovation. Kinda felt sorry for the guide and soft as **** history teacher though keeping a load if scruffy chunts from Boro in line ..........'get down from there.!!!..Thats been standing for thousands of years', 'If you need the toilet ask!!!!! Don't just go!!!!', ......' give me those cigarettes and beer cans now!!!', 'No you can't go kill some Scots, so STOP asking me!!!'..,'what do you mean (insert name) is not on the bus!!!! I counted you all!!!!' 'No you can't drive the bus because you are a kid!!!!, don't ask me again!!!!'....'This is the LAST time this group comes on a field trip..the headmaster will get to hear about all of today!!!!'

 

 

 

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post

I went to the Lake District and saw the sign marking the wettest inhabited place in the UK, averaging 3,300 mm of rain a year. Thought it would be a good photo but the day we went there wasn't a cloud in the sky and everyone was wearing t shirts. There was a queue out the door at the ice cream place in Lake Windemere.

Share this post


Link to post

Would have made the photo even better!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, marron said:

Would have made the photo even better!

Yeah we got a couple with the camera angled upwards so there's a huge blue sky in the background and us doing the exaggerated shrug next to the sign.

Beats getting wet.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Davo said:

I went to the Lake District and saw the sign marking the wettest inhabited place in the UK, averaging 3,300 mm of rain a year. Thought it would be a good photo but the day we went there wasn't a cloud in the sky and everyone was wearing t shirts. There was a queue out the door at the ice cream place in Lake Windemere.

Yeah..I went to the Lake District on an Art College trip aged 17...we got ******* smashed every night! 

They took us to a freaking pencil museum...i kid you not! It is a real thing! You walk around looking and reading about the history of ******* pencils!!

:stonedtrifiro:

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Yeah..I went to the Lake District on an Art College trip aged 17...we got ******* smashed every night! 

They took us to a freaking pencil museum...i kid you not! It is a real thing! You walk around looking and reading about the history of ******* pencils!!

:stonedtrifiro:

Riveting,,,,lol........:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Davo said:

I went to the Lake District and saw the sign marking the wettest inhabited place in the UK, averaging 3,300 mm of rain a year. Thought it would be a good photo but the day we went there wasn't a cloud in the sky and everyone was wearing t shirts. There was a queue out the door at the ice cream place in Lake Windemere.

I went to the Lakes District in the middle of Summer.

It was freezing there too!

Just saying! 😆😆

Share this post


Link to post

There is a reason that people in the UK freak out when the temp goes over 30, it's just not natural to them. Whereas in Australia its the opposite, drop below 10 and (in some places) people lose their minds. It'd be below 15-20 in places like QLD.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Carns said:

There is a reason that people in the UK freak out when the temp goes over 30, it's just not natural to them. Whereas in Australia its the opposite, drop below 10 and (in some places) people lose their minds. It'd be below 15-20 in places like QLD.

I am pretty used to the heat now, over 35c....meh...

Went back to the UK for Chrissy a few years back and couldn't cope with 8c, felt ******* freezing. Got ripped apart for being a soft Aussie chunt! Hahha....he's gone soft!!!

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I went to the Lakes District in the middle of Summer.

It was freezing there too!

Just saying! 😆😆

When we went with college we hired a row boat. The old fella told us not mess about and don't go any further than that little island....and what did we do...******* ignored that and went right out...could hear the faint shouting from shore of an old fella who rents row boats.. could see his arms waiving around more than hear him. To be fair he had  a good point as it got real choppy real quick and the wind whipped up like a bastard. His language was a bastard when we got back also! Such a nice old man...who would have thought him capable of such language :shok:

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

It's also the way houses are designed. I used to work with a Scottish bloke who said he felt cold in Australia more often than when he was in Scotland. Over there he lived in a house with central heating, walked from his front door to his heated car then from his car to his heated office. Here he said waking up and getting dressed in the morning he was freezing because houses here aren't heated the same way. His house in Scotland would never get that cold inside, even in winter.

Also plenty of apartments in London are designed to keep the heat in and have little in the way of ventilation. Great in cold weather but once it gets to 30 it feels way worse than 30 in an Australian house.

Edited by Davo

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Davo said:

It's also the way houses are designed. I used to work with a Scottish bloke who said he felt cold in Australia more often than when he was in Scotland. Over there he lived in a house with central heating, walked from his front door to his heated car then from his car to his heated office. Here he said waking up and getting dressed in the morning he was freezing because houses here aren't heated the same way. His house in Scotland would never get that cold inside, even in winter.

A Canadian friend who lived here for a while said the same thing. Australian houses (traditionally) are not built/insulated for cold conditions. This mindset needs to change (for both heating and cooling) as it reduces energy bills and consumption dramatically.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I raise you away end Roker Park Sunderland in January with a wind whipping in straight off the north sea....******* ice all over the terrace and a steward guy with a ciggie hanging off his bottom lip comes around spreading grit around, which did **** all, ******* baltic!

Victoria Park Hartlepool another ******* cold ground, as was Boro's. All close to the north sea and nothing between there and Scandinavia to slow the wind.

Boundary Park would give these a good run for their money !!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Boundary Park would give these a good run for their money !!

I went to Oldham in the very first EPL season (1993). Middle of winter and pouring down, they were bottom of the table and I think we were second or third bottom, we got turned over 4 - 0. That was the season Joe Royle pulled a miracle and kept them up. Got soaked to skin and frozen.

Wigan's old ground was a cold miserable place. It had like a speedway track around the outside and the away and was an open muddy bank. Stood there as a kid with the wind and rain blowing straight as us.

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I went to Oldham in the very first EPL season (1993). Middle of winter and pouring down, they were bottom of the table and I think we were second or third bottom, we got turned over 4 - 0. That was the season Joe Royle pulled a miracle and kept them up. Got soaked to skin and frozen.

Wigan's old ground was a cold miserable place. It had like a speedway track around the outside and the away and was an open muddy bank. Stood there as a kid with the wind and rain blowing straight as us.

Two trips to Oldham for me in the mid 70s !! Didn't rain but jeez was it cold 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Two trips to Oldham for me in the mid 70s !! Didn't rain but jeez was it cold 

They still had the synthetic pitch when I went to Oldham I think....perhaps not....long time ago lol

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Carns said:

A Canadian friend who lived here for a while said the same thing. Australian houses (traditionally) are not built/insulated for cold conditions. This mindset needs to change (for both heating and cooling) as it reduces energy bills and consumption dramatically.

Yeah this.

My place is like exhibit A. What the **** they were thinking I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, marron said:

Yeah this.

My place is like exhibit A. What the **** they were thinking I don't know.

Absolutely, considering you live in the BM's.

Edited by Wanderboy

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Carns said:

A Canadian friend who lived here for a while said the same thing. Australian houses (traditionally) are not built/insulated for cold conditions. This mindset needs to change (for both heating and cooling) as it reduces energy bills and consumption dramatically.

BASIX requirements are slowly changing this, although they still aren't tough enough.

I'm small time, and requirements and regulations of the BASIX are as tough as, yet I still hear stories of project homes not even being built with sarking beneath the roof tiles. Unbelievable.

Edited by Wanderboy

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Absolutely, considering you live in the BM's.

Yes, from the "what would be sensible" perspective.

However, from the "this is mountains" perspective, the house is not unusual.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, marron said:

Yes, from the "what would be sensible" perspective.

However, from the "this is mountains" perspective, the house is not unusual.

No offence..but many Blue Mountains houses are absolute shyte quality. I remember going to viewings when we were seriously looking and was staggered at how shyte some where..and not right at the bottom of the market!

Edited by Smoggy

Share this post


Link to post

I live in a heritage house built in the 1860s. Freezing in winter (without the fireplace(s)) and hot long into the night in summer (due to the brick heating up throughout the day). But the 12 foot ceilings help with heat during the day somewhat, it can be a few degrees cooler inside than outside.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...