Jump to content

The Weather Thread.


Wanderboy

Recommended Posts

BTW, Smoggy, I can't remember when you said you came here from Smogsville, but all my life, when we have had bushfire emergencies in Oz in the past, they have lasted for a few days, not for 4 or 5 months. 

I highly recommend you watch a 4 Corners program called "Black Summer", if you haven't seen it already. You'll find it on iView.

Last year was indeed unprecedented, regardless of what the right wing hacks on Sky News try to tell us.

Edited by Wanderboy
Link to post
8 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

BTW, Smoggy, I can't remember when you said you came here from Smogsville, but all my life, when we have had bushfire emergencies in Oz in the past, they have lasted for a few days, not for 4 or 5 months. 

I highly recommend you watch a 4 Corners program called "Black Summer", if you haven't seen it already. You'll find it on iView.

Last year was indeed unprecedented, regardless of what the right wing hacks on Sky News try to tell us.

First came here 2001 so been through a few bad bushfire years. Last summer was unbelievable and horrible so all this rain is good.

I bought myself a fancy / expensive new diving snorkel set 2 weeks ago. Itching to get under water to test it out. Could have to wait a bit yet!

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
38 minutes ago, marron said:

Oops almost forgot

Wendy's wildlife report- a lyrebird, (probably a couple actually), a wallaby, a water monitor, and a fish.

Thanks Marron!

That must lift your spirits...compared to when you said it was silent.

Even just hearing that lifts mine!

:D:D

 

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

First came here 2001 so been through a few bad bushfire years. Last summer was unbelievable and horrible so all this rain is good.

I bought myself a fancy / expensive new diving snorkel set 2 weeks ago. Itching to get under water to test it out. Could have to wait a bit yet!

I LOVE swimming at the beach on those rather rare warm and humid, but very overcast or even light rainy days.

Not if there's a wind though.

Might not be good for visibility with snorkeling though?

Link to post
1 minute ago, wendybr said:

I LOVE swimming at the beach on those rather rare warm and humid, but very overcast or even light rainy days.

Not if there's a wind though.

Might not be good for visibility with snorkeling though?

No..cloudy or 24hrs after rain / storms not good for snorkeling. Need sun and nothing to stir up the water.

Link to post
11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

First came here 2001 so been through a few bad bushfire years. Last summer was unbelievable and horrible so all this rain is good.

I bought myself a fancy / expensive new diving snorkel set 2 weeks ago. Itching to get under water to test it out. Could have to wait a bit yet!

Sketches please ........

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You do use water colours don't you!?

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Cracking storm yesterday afternoon. An hour of heavy rain and very close CG lightning strikes. A little hail as well.

Next few days offer similar potential.

Tell me about it...I went out on the balcony yesterday to have a look and a bolt of lightning hit just across the way. There was a crack and a fizz before the boom and to be honest I shat myself...too close...! There was no warning by the way of other strikes before that and so it was the unexpectedness that caught me out lol

Link to post
20 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Tell me about it...I went out on the balcony yesterday to have a look and a bolt of lightning hit just across the way. There was a crack and a fizz before the boom and to be honest I shat myself...too close...! There was no warning by the way of other strikes before that and so it was the unexpectedness that caught me out lol

I had one of those a week or two ago and I shat myself as well!! Was just walking back inside after taking something out to the red bin. I checked the sky before going out knowing there were storms about and I gave it the all clear for a safe 30 second journey. Unfortunately, the sky didn't.

Link to post

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the 'December to remember' in the UK. I was living in York at the time, my son was 3 years old and we had sold our house and were living in a rental just by the River Ouse in prep for returning to Sydney in the following April. That December turned out to be the most amazing weather month of any in my life, and perhaps will never be beaten for coldness, even those in the UK may never experience another month like it. Officially the second coldest December on record, but likely the coldest since before 1659....

 it was the second-coldest December in the narrower Central England Temperature (CET) record series which began in 1659, falling 0.1 °C short of the all-time record set in 1890.[2] Although data has never officially been compiled, December 2010 is thought to be colder than December 1890 over the United Kingdom as a whole, as Scotland was up to 2 °C warmer than England. Hence, it is thought to be the coldest December across the UK as a whole since before 1659.[3]

Snow started falling on the 29th November and at the time I thought it would be like all snowfalls in the UK, gone in a couple of days. On the 01st Jan 2011 snow was still on the ground and the temp had hardly been above freezing since late November.

My mums 60th birthday was the 1st December and I had taken the day off work with the intention of driving up there to see her. Blizzard conditions set in at around 7am and couldn't move the car, you could see the end of the street for blowing snow!. On the 03rd December a temp of -19c was recorded just outside of York, the River Ouse (a wide major river) froze solid and by the 06th December the narrow street we lived in was totally blocked with snow, it was impossible to get a snow plough down the road. The wind blew the snow around and drifted it up against one side of the street which blocked the doors of houses and my car was little more than a lump in the snow. During the breaks in the snowfalls people helped to try and dig the street out, but more snow would often come overnight and cover it all back up again.

Overnight temps would often get below -10 and struggle up towards -2 during the day. During the week before xmas there was a very slight thaw when temps pushed up to a barmy +1 or +2c but this made things much worse and treacherous. The top layer of the snow melted during the day and froze again at night creating ice rink conditions. Snow that we could previously easily dig away you now needed to hammer away at. Another added danger was icicles over 4' long and as thick as your arm hanging off gutters.

Christmas day no snow fell but remained lots on the ground, by now there was snow on top of frozen snow and drifts over 6' high in some paces around North Yorkshire. By the time new year approached there was a sign of a proper thaw and I recall waking new years day and the dripping had started. There would be piles of frozen snow around houses and from drifts remaining in many places until the end of January. On the North Yorks Moors some shaded north facing spots had ice in them until early March! I remember going up on to the Moors in the second week of March and still finding ice to muck about on...the ground still felt solid in spots also.

Probably the most amazing thing I remember was around the 3rd of December when that -19c was recorded just outside the city. We hung our coats on the wooden front door and in the morning they were stuck solid to the door. The frost blow had penetrated the front door sticking the coats to it, the inside of the door was white over with frost. The condensation on the inside of the windows had also frozen over!!!

What a time that was, will never experience anything like that again. Could be 200 years before another month like that, if ever with global warming.

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

…..and Tuesday not much better.

3 out of 4 days over 40 degrees.

Tonight is going to be a shocker.

Minimum of 27 degrees forecast.

You would have to think with La Nina this will be a front loaded summer for heat though? I would think a fair chance this weekend and Tuesday the hottest until possibly this time next year...

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
50 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You would have to think with La Nina this will be a front loaded summer for heat though? I would think a fair chance this weekend and Tuesday the hottest until possibly this time next year...

Indeed, that is what I am thinking and that is what I hope for.

I remember summers like this before. Dec/Jan/Feb could be milder and wetter. It's all a matter of time before La Nina kicks in and takes effect.

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Indeed, that is what I am thinking and that is what I hope for.

I remember summers like this before. Dec/Jan/Feb could be milder and wetter. It's all a matter of time before La Nina kicks in and takes effect.

Well that's just perfect. Coincides with the start of the football season.

What's is the website for that NZ guy who predicts rainfall based on the moon.

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Fiji getting smashed right now by that massive cyclone.

My parents live there, not on the island that will be worst hit though.  Their power went as I was talking to them a few hours back. 

Link to post
31 minutes ago, marron said:

Fiji getting smashed right now by that massive cyclone.

My parents live there, not on the island that will be worst hit though.  Their power went as I was talking to them a few hours back. 

It's a severe Cat 5. Terrible for the northern Islands of Fiji, just before Christmas. In fact, bad at any time, but with the year they have had due to Covid and virtually no tourism, this could be a killer blow. I hope your parents, and all Islanders, stay safe.

:grouphug:

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

It's a severe Cat 5. Terrible for the northern Islands of Fiji, just before Christmas. In fact, bad at any time, but with the year they have had due to Covid and virtually no tourism, this could be a killer blow. I hope your parents, and all Islanders, stay safe.

:grouphug:

Don't want to be gloomy...but...i will be very surprised if this is the only big cyclone to smash that area this season. Its going to be a big one.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Don't want to be gloomy...but...i will be very surprised if this is the only big cyclone to smash that area this season. Its going to be a big one.

Yep.

Eastern Oz has switched to La Nina like conditions very quickly over the past week or so.

Springbrook in SE QLD has recorded over 1000 mm's in the past 5 days. Coolangatta copped it today with a very isolated fall. Lismore yesterday, as well as Bowral and parts of the Southern Highlands with falls over 100 mm's in a few hours.

It's been a crazy week rainfall wise. Bom going for up to 60 mm's with severe storms tomorrow for Sydney. 

All this, just in time for the start of the A-League season.

Edited by Wanderboy
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...