The Weather Thread.

Wanderboy

1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

Yeh, Lake effect snow fall is a real thing from the English Channel. The best example of this is across the sea of Japan. Causes masses of snow. 

Japan-Historical-Heavy-Snowfall-011.jpg

That reminds me of December 2010, all you could see of my car was a lump in the snow. Took me ******* ages to dig the ****er out,

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Booked in to a old miners cottage type place for long weekend, proper wood burner fireplace :)

Any snow will have likely gone by then, but will be cold enough to get the fire lit. Do some walking, sketching and make some nice food :)

Probably not such a good idea to mention that!  

When will you post Andsome on here?

And don't say you'll get back to me!

Where are you @wendybr?

Edited by Edinburgh
3 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Where are you @wendybr?

Don't laugh you short arsed bastard - just post some bleeding sketches! Or else, I'll get back to you! 

2 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Where are you @wendybr?

I actually have a request from someone who wants me to do something for their home wall....time to procrastinate on that for a year or two :D

39 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I actually have a request from someone who wants me to do something for their home wall....time to procrastinate on that for a year or two :D

Humph!

Whenever I've asked, you don't procrastinate...you just refuse!

I feel insulted!

:P

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Humph!

Whenever I've asked, you don't procrastinate...you just refuse!

I feel insulted!

Don't be - he is being honest with you at least!

9 minutes ago, marron said:

Don't be - he is being honest with you at least!

Oh...sure.

I wasn't being serious about being insulted.

Not really. :(

I mean ...:D

But I really would like to own a Smoggy original!

One day. :(

:D:D

35 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Oh...sure.

I wasn't being serious about being insulted.

Not really. :(

I mean ...:D

But I really would like to own a Smoggy original!

One day. :(

:D:D

The North Rocks Banksy has to keep an air of mystery :ninja:

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

The North Rocks Banksy has to keep an air of mystery :ninja:

Pfffft! :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, marron said:

I'm at work and have a meeting so it will be dark when I get home and then I have to get I. tomorrow too because I'm off on Friday already heh. my reports are coming in from the mrs. nothing settled yet.

Well that's just not good enough..i think you need to understand your priorities a little better..

10 - 15 cents in higher parts of Jindy already. 5 to 10 in the town itself.

Snowing in Cooma, Jindabyne, Bombala, Nimmitabel, Bredbo, Crookwell, Orange, Blackheath, Oberon, Barrington Tops, and soon to be Armidale, Walcha, Glen Innes and even possibly just over the QLD border.

Some Southern Highlands places like Robertson, Moss Vale etc.... may get some flurries overnight, and the snow will continue down south on the Snowy mountains. Over 35 cm's since 1 pm today at Perisher Valley.

This is quite a unique event.

I've NEVER seen a forecast max for Richmond or any Sydney suburb of 11 degrees. That is what has been forecast tomorrow. 

Sure, Richmond has had max's like that before (last Friday actually), but they have never been forecast.

Edited by Wanderboy
10 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

10 - 15 cents in higher parts of Jindy already. 5 to 10 in the town itself.

Snowing in Cooma, Jindabyne, Bombala, Nimmitabel, Bredbo, Crookwell, Orange, Blackheath, Oberon, Barrington Tops, and soon to be Armidale, Walcha, Glen Innes and even possibly just over the QLD border.

Some Southern Highlands places like Robertson, Moss Vale etc.... may get some flurries overnight, and the snow will continue down south on the Snowy mountains. 

This is quite a unique event.

I've NEVER seen a forecast max for Richmond or any Sydney suburb of 11 degrees. That is what has been forecast tomorrow. 

Sure, Richmond has had max's like that before (last Friday actually), but they have never been forecast.

In England in early May I have seen snow falling on days where it has reached 7c. These have been via heavy showers where the temp drops temporarily as they go through, perhaps down to 3c or 4c.  11c to 7c doesn’t seem like much when you think of it like that lol. In the right freak set up you could see a wet few flakes say at Lawson or Hazlebrook, very very unlikely..but not impossible.

Edited by Smoggy
2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

In England in early May I have seen snow falling on days where it has reached 7c. These have been via heavy showers where the temp drops temporarily as they go through, perhaps down to 3c or 4c.  11c to 7c doesn’t seem like much when you think of it like that lol. In the right freak set up you could see a wet few flakes say at Lawson or Hazlebrook, very very unlikely..but not impossible.

Indeed.

I've actually seen snow falling in temps of 7 degrees in the Pryenees.

Obviously, it was the ******* Spainish side of the border, but yeh, it DID happen.

Adiabatic cooling?

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Indeed.

Obviously, it was the ******* Spainish side of the border, but yeh, it DID happen.

Adiabatic cooling?

Yep, I suspect the snow that was recorded in Sydney years ago was via a freak heavy shower dragging the cold air to the surface. Anywhere from Springwood upwards could see that if very lucky indeed.

Edited by Smoggy
7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Indeed.

Adiabatic cooling?

Also evaporative cooling is what is at work to bring the cold air down I think.

The lightest of possible dustings across my yard this morning as I left for the station. Looked good over Megalong/Kanimbla, Hampden probably in the thick of it. Looks like just waiting for the wind to push it our way.

Snow tourists getting off the train instagramming away already.

1 hour ago, marron said:

The lightest of possible dustings across my yard this morning as I left for the station. Looked good over Megalong/Kanimbla, Hampden probably in the thick of it. Looks like just waiting for the wind to push it our way.

Snow tourists getting off the train instagramming away already.

Some light rain in Penrith area this morning at 4c! That's look up and you might see a bit of wet sleet if your lucky territory!

Radar says there has been precipitation in the more remote areas north of Hornsby in the last few hours. I wouldn't be surprised if a wintry mix in that, but no reports.

Some great photos coming out of Orange and Oberon.

Edited by Smoggy