The Weather Thread.

34 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

The British bitching on about it being 30c to 32c at the min lol

Miserable ****ers are never happy..pours with rain most of the ******* time, but get a bit of warmth and find something else to moan about.

I once worked with a young guy from Manchester who was here on a 12 month working holiday.It was a logistic co and the temp in the warehouse where he was working was around 42-44 for a week or so

Poor bastard nearly melted,but to his credit he smiled and said "better than getting fookin rained on all the time,I luv it" !

Might have told this story before, but Sonar's young workmate reminds me of a colleague - a middle aged woman from Liverpool (UK) who had, admittedly been here for 30 years.

Out on Playground Duty in 40 degree heat at Lunchtime...the kids were hiding in the Library, under trees etc...where ever they could escape the heat. 

I was counting the minutes till the bell went,  and I couldn't wait to escape indoors.

She just stood there soaking it all in.

When I said..."Ughhhh...this is JUST TOO MUCH!", she threw her arms out wide, as if to embraces the heat, and said simply,

"Well....I just luv it!

When you've spent the first half of your life being cold and damp and miserable, being here in this warmth is Heaven!"

22 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Might have told this story before, but Sonar's young workmate reminds me of a colleague - a middle aged woman from Liverpool (UK) who had, admittedly been here for 30 years.

Out on Playground Duty in 40 degree heat at Lunchtime...the kids were hiding in the Library, under trees etc...where ever they could escape the heat. 

I was counting the minutes till the bell went,  and I couldn't wait to escape indoors.

When I said..."Ughhhh...this is JUST TOO MUCH!", she threw her arms out wide, as if to embraces the heat, and said simply,

"Well....I just luv it!

When you've spent the first half of your life being cold and damp and miserable, being here in this warmth is Heaven!"

Hot enough to cook a goose?

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

"Well....I just luv it!

Yeah, i am bit like that, i love summer here and going to the beaching and seeing women not wearing much, surfing and the whole thing will never get tired when you have grown up in a dreach and gloomy industrial northern town.

Australia has many faults like anywhere but it is truly stunning i find.

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The sea surface map below of the Gulf of Mexico is well worth a look and is quite amazing! The big circle of blue to the top left is not the actual Hurricane Harvey, it is where Harvey was sitting for a good few days before making landfall on the Texas coast a few days ago. You can basically see where the hurricane was feeding off the warm waters in the gulf and sucking up all of that heat and transferring it to water vapor, basically left a cold water hole where is was feeding. Hurricanes are usually swift moving as they swing in from the Atlantic, the fact this one stalled so much over the warm waters of the Gulf made this a deadly one. 

170829.241.1000.n19.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not something you see every day, a hurricane in the east Atlantic Azores area and on full track towards the UK...Ophelia would not be a full hurricane it reached UK shores but would be a very powerful storm, an outside chance this could make landfall on SW Ireland as a cat 1 hurricane, which is crazy. A little bit further east and if many things line up together there is a very small outside chance this could track across southern England starting out as a cat 1 around Cornwall, probably losing strength and no longer a hurricane but a very strong storm. But the chance of a cat 1 making land fall in Europe is pretty exceptional.  

at201717_5day.gif

rb0-lalo.gif

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/17L/html5-rgb-short.html

Edited by WSWBoro
6 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Not something you see every day, a hurricane in the east Atlantic Azores area and on full track towards the UK...Ophelia would not be a full hurricane it reached UK shores but would be a very powerful storm, an outside chance this could make landfall on SW Ireland as a cat 1 hurricane, which is crazy. A little bit further east and if many things line up together there is a very small outside chance this could track across southern England starting out as a cat 1 around Cornwall, probably losing strength and no longer a hurricane but a very strong storm. But the chance of a cat 1 making land fall in Europe is pretty exceptional.  

at201717_5day.gif

rb0-lalo.gif

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/17L/html5-rgb-short.html

Alan Wilkie's back!   :P 

1 hour ago, WSWBoro said:

Not something you see every day, a hurricane in the east Atlantic Azores area and on full track towards the UK...Ophelia would not be a full hurricane it reached UK shores but would be a very powerful storm, an outside chance this could make landfall on SW Ireland as a cat 1 hurricane, which is crazy. A little bit further east and if many things line up together there is a very small outside chance this could track across southern England starting out as a cat 1 around Cornwall, probably losing strength and no longer a hurricane but a very strong storm. But the chance of a cat 1 making land fall in Europe is pretty exceptional,

Must make you all teary eyed and homesick Boro, what with all the crap sunshine we're having here at the moment. lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, sonar said:

Thank heavens for family.

No aircon at home so my sister phones us and says be ready at 8am Sun morning, I'll pick you up and you'll stay at my place in air con comfort for the day & early evening. Has made today bearable.

I'm lucky. I have air-con.

I ventured out early this morning to put the sprinkler on the back lawn and vegie patch. It wasn't too bad then.

Also drove to the local shops to get something for dinner, in my air-conditioned car. Otherwise, I have spent all day inside, watching the cricket. It's been bearable, but incredibly hot a couple of times I ventured outside to the bins.

47.3 degrees in Penrith today. Insane temperature.

Here's something that will make me sound crazy.

Don't say it...any of you smart arses out there. :crazy:

I have been outdoors 80% of today...and I haven't minded it.

I spent over 3 hours at my school hosing gardens, starting at 8.45...and actually thought that the weather guys must have got it wrong.

I googled the temp in that suburb as I was  leaving and was astonished to find it was then 43 degrees!!

I stopped at a heavily air conditioned cafe for a coffee and some lunch on the way home...and  when I went back outside, I realized how hot it was - like a furnace! 

I usually retreat indoors or to the pool...but I have been outdoors most of the afternoon...pottering in the garden. No air con. ..no swim.

So ....what reckon is the determinant of how unbearable you find a day like today is whether you're in and out of air conditioning.  I must have kind of adapted from when it was pretty warm til when it became monstrous and I didn't feel the shock of  dramatically changing temperatures.

Normally ...trust me...I'd have been whinging with the best of you.:xnod:

OK...OK...That all sounds pretty weird...but it's true!

Going back out now for a  bit of raking!

:lol::lol: