Wanderboy

The Weather Thread.

Interesting Wendy. I was at the cricket and it was tough going until the shade came over, sitting there with a layer of sweat shining off us. But once you sat there for a bit it WAS bearable. 

Was still pretty glad when the shade came over though! Two hours was enough.

Btron. ..Back in the car driving home .and listening to a bit of the cricket, I thought of  both the cricketers...and people like you in the crowd, and did actually think to myself  "OK it's doable"

I was moving between a bit of shade and mostly Sun, but wasn't exerting myself.

I'd always thought I'd find it unbearable sitting in the Sun in heat like today's at the Cricket......altho I've sort of done it in Newcastle,  at Gosford and in the Eastern stand at Pirtek  at Wanderers games,  now I come to think of it. And once out at Penrith too!

Anyway, today, I also had a mission...and just wanted to push on. But surprisingly even to myself, it just didn't trouble me.

PS The  wind outside has cooled things down nicely now...

I remember that match at Penriff, it was 37 degrees.

Nix fans couldn't believe the RBB was in the sun and went non stop all match, proud moment.

52 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

I remember that match at Penriff, it was 37 degrees.

Nix fans couldn't believe the RBB was in the sun and went non stop all match, proud moment.

I was just behind the RBB.

The heat that day was punishing - and I wasn't doing what you guys were doing.

PS I think temperatures within a stadium are probably higher than outside.

There's often no breeze, the heat radiates off concrete and maybe off metal structures etc etc

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Interesting Wendy. I was at the cricket and it was tough going until the shade came over, sitting there with a layer of sweat shining off us. But once you sat there for a bit it WAS bearable. 

Ch9 did a temp reading of the pitch during innings change over  ....55 degrees.......bugger that....lol

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

It was enjoyable in a perverse kind of way. Like I said at the time, made you feel alive. Probably wouldn't have enjoyed it for 8 hours though.

Mindset is an important factor I think.

Yes...sometimes discomfort can remind you that you're alive.

:):)

^^^ Yes this is very true!

Well, life lived in contact with nature in its many forms is far better/healthier  than a de-natured life!

:):)

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

I was just behind the RBB.

The heat that day was punishing - and I wasn't doing what you guys were doing.

PS I think temperatures within a stadium are probably higher than outside.

There's often no breeze, the heat radiates off concrete and maybe off metal structures etc etc

And add in the body heat of so many people in close proximity sometimes in a confined space

Yes you're probably right. 

And , say at Pirtek, in the Eastern stand, there is nowhere for the hot air (which increases at the very top)  to escape to.

So it is particularly severe in those back rows.

I think newer stadia have a gap between the top rows and the metal roof, which would allow that hot air to escape somewhat.

I think.

At the cricket yesterday we were in a stand near the back with no opening for the hot air to escape. The coolest spot was the concourse under the stand at or in the tunnel into the stand where there was a significant movement of air through the tunnel.

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Yes you're probably right. 

And , say at Pirtek, in the Eastern stand, there is nowhere for the hot air (which increases at the very top)  to escape to.

So it is particularly severe in those back rows.

I think newer stadia have a gap between the top rows and the metal roof, which would allow that hot air to escape somewhat.

I think.

I think most of the hot air was over in the Western stand Teach......

3 hours ago, JackDoff said:

I think most of the hot air was over in the Western stand Teach......

:lol:

Oh... wait!! :huh:

:P

YAAAAY!

It rained here ...................................................for 30 seconds!  :nono:

:(  :(

Everyone reading this go look at the sky over the mountains.

The storm is 80 km's away and I can see constant lightning flashes from here in the Hills District.

Edited by Wanderboy

Oh...missed the two posts above, but I wish I hadn't.  It might have been a repeat of something I witnessed decades ago, but I've never seen since.

I was inland from Byron  Bay and watched the lightning from a dramatic storm absolutely light up the sky for maybe 20 minutes...but it was totally silent were I was.

No sound, dead still where I was...but a furious storm....I didn't know how far away  over the hills. 

It was awesome (in the true sense of the word)....and I never forgot it.

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

35654_df8d14ce5918b5b96ea2c1e790bb501d.p

the fuuck is this???? Looks like those nuclear detonation scenario maps!! :lol:  

Oh yeah ,it's hot n windy !

30 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

It's summer mate.

Hasn't been this humid for years! ....or maybe I'm just getting old :P 

1 minute ago, JackDoff said:

We're all getting old champ. :sorry:

Maybe why we have short memories. It's always this humid between late Jan and March at times. Good news is we are moving into a cooler and wetter period starting Wednesday. Temps back into the mid-high 20's for western Sydney for the first time in ages. It'll still be humid though, just not as stifling. We might even see some of that strange stuff fall from the sky. :drinks:

2 hours ago, JackDoff said:

WTF is going on???!!!! ITS SO ******* HOT N ******* HUMID!!!!   :xmad:  ******* HOT **** ******* **** WEATHER!!!!!

Feb is usually the month for humidity... although that's because it's rained a bit.

So...you've only got another month to go!

:lol::lol:

PS I've NEVER seen gardens worse than they are atm.  Struggling plants everywhere. So sad.

15 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Feb is usually the month for humidity... although that's because it's rained a bit.

PS I've NEVER seen gardens worse than they are atm.  Struggling plants everywhere. So sad.

The biggest telltale sign of that has been the eucalypts. I've never seen so many leaves blowing around the streets at this time of year. They are all under severe moisture stress and are dropping leaves, both live and dead, to try and save their own life and reduce stress on the rest of the tree. I've also seen more dead eucalypts than I've ever noticed before.

It will change though and it won't be long before we are all complaining about the rain.

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

We have the majority of our plants in pots these days.....easier to maintain and greater water retention.

We don't water the lawn due to habits from the last drought. The majority of the houses in the street do the same and I have to agree most of them are looking a bit on the brown side. I haven't had to mow the lawn for at least a month now. I'm over the heat. Too many days over 40+.

3 hours ago, JackDoff said:

Menopausal!

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

The biggest telltale sign of that has been the eucalypts. I've never seen so many leaves blowing around the streets at this time of year. They are all under severe moisture stress and are dropping leaves, both live and dead, to try and save their own life and reduce stress on the rest of the tree. I've also seen more dead eucalypts than I've ever noticed before.

It will change though and it won't be long before we are all complaining about the rain.

I never complain about rain these days.

We have a Blackbean tree...with a very thin covering of leaves compared to normal.

About the only positive to the drought is that it is shedding its usually big , heavy seed pods although they have hardly developed.

Normally they drop with a thud...like heavy rocks, and would be quite dangerous if one landed on you. 

At the moment, they are dropping at about a quarter their normal size....and are not a worry. I've never seen this before.