The Weather Thread.

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I'm just overwhelmingly sad and angry at the moment.....and I'm I haven't figured out yet where I need to direct that.

You don't need to direct any anger towards anyone.

These are just freaky conditions. This has been a freaky summer. No officially recorded rain at all for Penrith or Richmond.

Combine that with months and months of previously below average rainfall, and a heatwave that seems as though it has lasted forever, and we have extreme conditions rarely seen before. 

Fires then start for various reasons, and they are unstoppable. It's not really anyone's fault that you could point any anger towards.

Happy New Year.

8 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

You don't need to direct any anger towards anyone.

These are just freaky conditions. This has been a freaky summer. No officially recorded rain at all for Penrith or Richmond.

Combine that with months and months of previously below average rainfall, and a heatwave that seems as though it has lasted forever, and we have extreme conditions rarely seen before. 

Fires then start for various reasons, and they are unstoppable. It's not really anyone's fault that you could point any anger towards.

Happy New Year.

But I've been hearing about all this as features of CC for decades - so I really don't see it as just a freaky Summer.

I see it as what the scientists have been forecasting starting to become evident.

And it's everywhere. Not just here. But we have been told that the impacts here are going to be as bad as anywhere in the developed world.

I'd totally totally love to be wrong - but I see it as likely to be the start, and things won't go back to the way they have always been.

I would love see it your way, if the other hadn't been in my consciousness, as I said, for decades.

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

But I've been hearing about all this as features of CC for decades - so I really don't see it as just a freaky Summer.

I see it as what the scientists have been forecasting starting to become evident.

And it's everywhere. Not just here. But we have been told that the impacts here are going to be as bad as anywhere in the developed world.

I'd totally totally love to be wrong - but I see it as likely to be the start, and things won't go back to the way they have always been.

I would love see it your way, if the other hadn't been in my consciousness, as I said, for decades.

I understand where you are coming from, and yes, I agree. We have been warned for decades. I've no doubt the climate is changing, and we will not ever in our life time see it go back to what we knew as kids - the odd day over 40 or so. This will, and has become the norm.

But.....this is by far the worst bushfire season I can ever remember in my 55 years on this planet. The scope of area of these fires has never been seen before.

Yes, it is due to the climate warming and warming significantly. I've no doubt about that.

However, it's not about apportioning blame now. It's now about what we, as a society, can do to change the future, for our children (although it might be a bit late for that) and our children's children, and so on.

3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

I understand where you are coming from, and yes, I agree. We have been warned for decades. I've no doubt the climate is changing, and we will not ever in our life time see it go back to what we knew as kids - the odd day over 40 or so. This will, and has become the norm.

But.....this is by far the worst bushfire season I can ever remember in my 55 years on this planet. The scope of area of these fires has never been seen before.

Yes, it is due to the climate warming and warming significantly. I've no doubt about that.

However, it's not about apportioning blame now. It's now about what we, as a society, can do to change the future, for our children (although it might be a bit late for that) and our children's children, and so on.

Wrote a longer post, but lost it...

I do agree with most of what you posted above WB, but I will apportion blame - I can't help it.

Won't try to rewrite what I lost, but I should have posted this here I guess, rather than over on the International Current Affairs Thread, where I just posted it.

This is why I'll stay angry, disgusted, ashamed and depressed.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-31/greta-thunberg-and-david-attenborough-join-forces/11833150

"Sir David said it was depressing when governments in the United States, Brazil or Australia indicated they were not taking any notice of what should be done."

What great company to be keeping! :(

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I hope she's ok and the fam as well.

I've had an offer to stay at Culburra for a few nights if I can't get to Batemans Bay. I may still get my holiday yet.

Edited by Wanderboy

Meanwhile in India Delhi is having a record cold spell. Just recorded its coldest day in 119 years!

Even by UK standards it isnt that cold with max temps just below 10c and mins of around 1c or 2c with lots of damp fog, sounds like a Canberra winters day.

It is unusual for Delhi though and some 10c below the nornal. Lots of homeless people there suffering and the city just not used to it.

Just yet more wacky weather going on.

Edited by Smoggy
3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Meanwhile in India Delhi is having a record cold spell. Just recorded its coldest day in 119 years!

Even by UK standards it isnt that cold with max temps just below 10c and mins of around 1c or 2c with lots of damp fog, sounds like a Canberra winters day.

It is unusual for Delhi though and some 10c below the nornal. Lots of homeless people there suffering and the city just not used to it.

Just yet more likely evidence of Climate Change.

Fixed, ;)

Very sad.

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Fixed, ;)

Very sad.

Lol climate change is an overall trend over a period of time that will create more extreme events as we go. But i am not as quick as you to assign the tag to every current event.

The current drought has a clear cause in the Indian Ocean dipole which has been the strongest on record. Would need to check back over similar such events and see how they fit and how climate change is impacting on the oceans.

I see this coming weekend is looking hot again sigh...Thankfully flying back from Melbourne next week and so wont be on the roads.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

. But i am not as quick as you to assign the tag to every current event.

It's really not that every current event gets turned into a climate change type argument. It's that one event after another, after another, after another, after another forms a pattern, which is consistent with what scientists have been banging on about for 50 years.

"Banging on" about intensively for the past 20 years - and nothing has substantially changed.

We've been asleep, and I don't know what more it will take to make people in enough numbers to demand serious action.

Hope Mogo Zoo is out of danger.

And, I just realised that, even though I've never been there, I have a connection.

I taught Chad Staples... many years ago. I remember him well.

Good on him for what he is doing down there! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7839329/Giraffes-stranded-open-field-bushfire-moves-Mogo-Zoo-zookeepers-stand-guard.html

30 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hope Mogo Zoo is out of danger.

And, I just realised that, even though I've never been there, I have a connection.

I taught Chad Staples... many years ago. I remember him well.

Good on him for what he is doing down there! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7839329/Giraffes-stranded-open-field-bushfire-moves-Mogo-Zoo-zookeepers-stand-guard.html

wendy,I'll try and find an item from this morning saying Mogo Zoo and ALL animals were saved.

Found it....lol

Hundreds of animals have been saved at Mogo Zoo on the New South Wales south coast, with staff battling surrounding bushfires and one even sheltering small monkeys and red pandas at his home.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-31/mogo-zoo-and-animals-within-saved-from-bushfire/11834918

Edited by sonar

I WAS heading to Malua Bay, near Batemans Bay, this coming Saturday, for a week.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/01/malua-bay-fire-survivors-tell-how-1000-people-lived-through-a-night-of-flames-on-nsw-beach 

It won't be happening now. The house I had rented is on the far end of this beach.

Some of the video and commentary in the article is quite disturbing. I really feel terrible for the people suffering in these communities. I can have a holiday another time.

ENFR-XDU8AAuj7G.jpg

It's absolutely frightening what's been happening.

Wendy said something about a war before. I don't want to exaggerate or whatever but I think there's some definite parallels here and there. Including, ****, I don't know, more acceptance of risk and things. I watched the blackheath fire burn yesterday arvo and into the evening froM my window, we ate dinner in the backyard where we could still see it. Big plumes, choppers, bomber with retardant. A couple of k's away only. 

Meanwhile **** was really going down elsewhere, we weren't on the news and barely hit the app. 

Like an errant bomb burning down a hotel on a big night when they got the explosives factory. 

I can't imagine what it would be like to be 24 hours on the beach watching it all go. God. 

59 minutes ago, marron said:

It's absolutely frightening what's been happening.

Wendy said something about a war before. I don't want to exaggerate or whatever....

I honestly can't see any way to exaggerate this really. None at all.

It's an unprecedented national catastrophe...and I do think it's a war.

We have noone at the top with any capacity to even recognise that.

Read a fantastic article the other day explaining how climate change has affected the weather systems that impact our continent. It only just dawned on me that it would be perfect for this thread but I can’t find it. Never mind, here is the second best thing:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/01/climate-patterns-behind-australias-bushfires-heat-and-drought-set-to-improve